HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
How about some snow pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
Coming soon, I promise. I'm in California right now, but when I get back this weekend, it is on my list of things to do. I am going to take some pictures of our record-setting North Idaho winter, as well as pictures of Hayden and other areas.
Still waiting....

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
World Traveler

Building continues in North Idaho...Coeur d'Alene had the third highest building permit dollar amount of any Idaho city in March (and by far the highest of any Idaho city in March of last year).

March Idaho building permits (all categories)
(courtesy of the Idaho Business Review---source: http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...ruction-Review)

Boise
982 – worth a combined $34.2 million in March 2008, 1,502 – worth a combined $95.3 million in March 2007.

Caldwell
266 – worth a combined $9,678,042 in March 2008, 635 – worth a combined $15,372,109 in March 2007.

Coeur d’Alene
76 – worth a combined $27,020,512 in March 2008, 458 – worth a combined $187,381,912 in March 2007.

Eagle
56 – worth a combined $14,640,387 in March 2008, 75 – worth a combined $8,361,629 in March 2007.

Idaho Falls
25 – worth a combined $924,044 in March 2008, 29 – worth a combined $8,509,315 in March 2007.

Lewiston
81 – worth a combined $2,089,387 in March 2008, 75 – worth a combined $2,834,502 in March 2007.

Meridian
256 – worth a combined $31,749,849 in March 2008, 399 – worth a combined $59,993,409 in March 2007.

Nampa
83 – worth a combined $20,176,661 in March 2008, 134 – building permits worth a combined $11,384,305 in March 2007.

Pocatello
73 – worth a combined $19,497,457 in March 2008, March 2007 figures not available.

Post Falls
81 – worth a combined $3,726,993 in March 2008, 155 – worth a combined $23,670,975 in March 2007.

Sandpoint
8 – worth a combined $383,942 in March 2008, 11 – worth a combined $958,225 in March 2007.

Twin Falls
65 – worth a combined $7,567,026 in March 2008, 89 – worth a combined $5,299,665 in March 2007.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:48 PM
World Traveler

Not the most exciting development news, but news nonetheless...Kootenai County is set to get not one but two more Wal-Marts---one more in Post Falls and one in Hayden...

1. Wally's world
By BRIAN WALKER

POST FALLS -- Wal-Mart has found a second home in Post Falls.

Jeff Vitek of Foursquare Properties, the developer of the fledgling Pointe at Post Falls project anchored by Cabela's, said Wal-Mart has finalized its deal on property in the development near the state line.

"We're very pleased to announce a new Super Wal-Mart," Vitek said on Tuesday, adding that construction could start this year on a 200,000-square-foot building on about 17 acres at the intersection of Baugh Way and Pointe Parkway in the northwest part of the project.

"We believe that The Pointe is going to be a super regional destination that will draw customers from as far as the coast, Canada and Montana. (Wal-Mart) is a nice complement to Cabela's and it will serve the immediate trade area and community."

The Press reported last September that Foursquare was in negotiations with Wal-Mart, but Tuesday's announcement by the developer brought finality to the deal.

Post Falls resident Shelly Johnson said the news was a surprise, especially with the murky economic climate and since many cities larger than Post Falls don't have a Wal-Mart, let alone two.

"It seems like a bit much right now," she said. "But if Cabela's is going to attract a lot of people and the area is going to continue to grow, then maybe I can see it."

Wal-Mart spokesperson Karianne Fallow said she couldn't make an official company announcement on Tuesday, but added: "We'd be really excited to serve customers in Post Falls with an additional store."

Fallow said Post Falls and The Pointe provide a "growing destination market."

"So it makes good sense for us (to have a second store), especially with all the other retail development going on," she said. "We do extensive market analysis and take these things very seriously."

Wal-Mart supercenters employ more than 300 people, Fallow said.

Wal-Mart also has a store along Interstate 90 in Spokane Valley and is expected to start construction this summer on another in Hayden at U.S. 95 and Honeysuckle.

Post Falls city administrator Eric Keck said city staff was also somewhat puzzled over a second Post Falls location. He added that retailers such as Wal-Mart do not enter into such ventures without a lot of analysis.

"The nature of the free market economy is such that Wal-Mart could locate a second store in our community," Keck said.

Hayden Mayor Ron McIntire, who owns area Super 1 Foods stores, earlier said he's also not surprised and called a second store a "natural sequence."

The location will attract Liberty Lake residents, future growth on Post Falls' west side, in addition to tourists visiting Cabela's and future retailers in The Pointe, McIntire said.

Vitek said Wal-Mart is eager to go through the city approval process and start construction. He said the new location will be slightly larger than Post Falls' current store.

But Keck said that the start of construction on large retail stores can be cloudy, even if the property has been purchased. He said that no applications have been submitted to the city for the new building.

"Wal-Mart may have just purchased the ground from Foursquare to preempt a competing retailer such as Target from locating in Post Falls," he said. "This type of territorial real estate management occurs in other areas of the country and is typically done by the large grocery firms."

Post Falls' current Wal-Mart supercenter on Mullan Avenue was built about seven years ago. The city has approved the retailer's plans to remodel that store, but it is not expanding.

"While some residents in the community have decried the current store's presence in Post Falls, Wal-Mart has proven to be a good amenity for the community," Keck said. "We have been assured by Foursquare Properties that the Mullan Avenue location would remain in business."

Sam's Club, Wal-Mart's version of a Costco, has been rumored to be interested in Post Falls, but city officials said there is nothing in the plans for the current Post Falls location that indicates that the store will be converted into a Sam's Club.

"I have reviewed the remodel plans for Mullan Avenue and they are definitely not for a Sam's Club," Keck said.

Fallow said Wal-Mart typically updates its supercenters every six to eight years. She said the current Post Falls location has performed well, but did not disclose statistics.

"You can see by the number of cars in the parking lot that the store is very busy," she said.

Keck said Foursquare will pay for all of the off-site improvements at The Pointe as well as the construction of the new Beck Road interchange that will serve the project along I-90.

"It looks like things are coming together well on this and we have been told that construction will still commence in 2009 with the interchange opening sometime in 2010," Keck said.

The Post Falls Chamber and Visitor's Center also plans to move to The Pointe.
Source: http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ews/news01.prt

2. Hayden store to begin construction
By BRIAN WALKER

HAYDEN -- Construction on a new Wal-Mart Supercenter at the southwest corner of Honeysuckle and U.S. 95 in Hayden is expected to start this summer, city officials said.

The company has purchased the property, and the city has commented on the site and building plans that were resubmitted about two months ago, city administrator Jay Townsend said.

"I think they'll look to start construction sometime this summer if everything goes OK with the site plan review," Townsend said.

Townsend said the city's comments are "pretty standard" and not expected to delay the project.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Karianne Fallow said the architectural plans will be submitted to the city soon.

"The process is moving along and we're going back and forth with the city on comments," she said.

The city engineer is currently reviewing the off-site improvements as the intersection of Honeysuckle and U.S. 95, and Centa Avenue will need to be improved with the store coming online. Delivery trucks will use Centa.

Townsend said a hurdle that has delayed the 20-acre project, but appears to have been overcome, is relocating a sewer lift station from the northwest corner of the intersection.

"Moving that station across the street has been a big undertaking," Townsend said.

The 200,000-square-foot building will face Honeysuckle, so motorists on U.S. 95 will see the side of the building.

"We're asking for the land to be aggressively landscaped on that side (that faces U.S. 95)," Townsend said.

The building on the outside will sport more of a Northwest look than the traditional blue appearance, he said.
Source: http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ews/news02.prt

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:55 PM

I recall reading a year or two back how Hayden was very against the Wal Mart opening. Are there still Safeways in North Idaho?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 5:33 PM
Always running Late

walmarts are trash... I wished they did block them from being built.. they only locate to the idaho side of the border to avoid having to pay washington's minimum wage. Walmart sucks...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 7:41 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I recall reading a year or two back how Hayden was very against the Wal Mart opening. Are there still Safeways in North Idaho?
Yes, Cd'A has 2 Safeways. And there are 10 Spokane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
walmarts are trash... I wished they did block them from being built.. they only locate to the idaho side of the border to avoid having to pay washington's minimum wage. Walmart sucks...
Wal-Mart does have a store in Spokane Valley about 8 miles west of the where the 2nd Post Falls store is going in...and they have 3 more in the city of Spokane.

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Apr 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:43 PM

Any updates on Parkside Jim? I'm assuming its close to completion by now.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:51 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
Any updates on Parkside Jim? I'm assuming its close to completion by now.
It has been topped off and there are widows all the way up to the 18th or 19th floor. I know I have promised some pictures a while back. I'm still working on it, just been busy.

I'll snap a couple this afternoon when I head back to my office after lunch. Hopefully that will tide everyone over for a few more days (or weeks )

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 9:42 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Yes, Cd'A has 2 Safeways. And there are 10 Spokane...

Wal-Mart does have a store in Spokane Valley about 8 miles west of the where the 2nd Post Falls store is going in...and they have 3 more in the city of Spokane.
true, of course they have locations in washington.. but 1 in the valley which is 80-90,000 people.. vs now 3 for kootenai county which is 140,000.. that is what I'm trying to get at

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:02 AM
World Traveler

Here are a few pics of Parkside. I'll get better ones when I have more time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:28 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Here are a few pics of Parkside. I'll get better ones when I have more time.

sweet lookin project up there... I just love Cda.. its so pretty up there....and I love that its becoming more and more urban while still maintaining its resort culture..

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:17 PM

Thank you for the shots of Parkside. This building IMO is significant to Idaho being the first to hit the 20 story mark. We definitely need more photos of this building.

I am guessing the windows and exterior material take on a lot different look when the weather is not overcast?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 4:17 PM

Thanks for the pics. I haven't been up there for years and am looking forward to visiting again sometime soon. Coeur d'Alene is so beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 5:56 PM

How soon until residents can move into Parkside?

Last edited by eastidaho; Apr 30, 2008 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 3:18 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
How soon until residents can move into Parkside?
Handle on Business: Parkside almost ready for business – and more
Nils Rosdahl

Coeur d'Alene's highest (my note-it's not actually the highest by height, it is only the highest by floor count...) high-rise slowly will have its activity change from construction to moving in as Parkside Condominiums nears completion this month.

The 20-story complex, at 601 Front Ave., has commercial and office space on floors one through five and residential condominiums on up to the top. Occupants will have use of three levels of below-ground and surface-level parking, a full-service ATM by Bankcda, a fitness center, and a food and drink bar, an 18-hole miniature golf course on the roof of Level 2 and an atrium, plaza and balcony – all overlooking Lake Coeur d'Alene, McEuen Field and Tubbs Hill.

Level 1 has the atrium, plaza and four commercial spaces. The southeast corner will feature Bakery by the Lake at Parkside, a 2,400-square-foot bakery and coffee shop offering many food and drink items across from both the McEuen Terrace condos and the new city library.

Bakery owner Frank Piggott will produce the goodies at his year-old Bakery by the Lake building on Third Street. He'll have about 12 employees at each place and will continue his delivery service. He said the Parkside bakery-coffee shop will be open daily, probably at 6 a.m. He also will manage the food court on Level 3 and concessions at the miniature golf course. Originally from New York City, Piggott fled to Seattle in 1974 and Spokane in 2005.

Level one also has spaces for a 4,000-square-foot restaurant and retail shops of 1,000 and 1,150 square feet. For information contact, Allison Brigham of Miller Stauffer Architects at 664-1773.

Office space on Floors 2 through 5 is all sold. North Idaho Title has 10,000 square feet on Level 2. Its 41 employees will leave their 8,000-square-foot building at 700 Northwest Blvd. in late May. Check www.northidahotitle.com.

Ramsden & Lyons Law Offices bought that building, and its nine lawyers and 10 staff members will move from their current 4,000-square-foot offices at 618 N. Fourth St. They offer general practice and specialize in civil litigation and plan to expand their services in construction and real estate law with the move to a more visible location. Check www.ramsdenlyons.com.

Parkside Fitness will have 1,500 square feet on Level 2. Owner Karen Lemmon will offer group fitness classes, personal training and nutritional advising. Planning to open the center in late June, Lemmon also will manage and offer personal training in Parkside's 1,500-square-foot private fitness center.

Miller Stauffer Architects will move to 4,000 square feet of Parkside's Level 2 in early summer. Their eight employees are now in 2,100 square feet in McEuen Terrace, and that space will be available.

Nighthawk Radiology is reorganizing its current four Coeur d'Alene locations (offices on Wallace and Mullan avenues and in McEuen Terrace and Coeur d'Alene North Condominiums) into two places, seven suites in Coeur d'Alene North and three floors with 24,000 square feet in Parkside. They plan the moves with about 75 employees in each location near the end of next week. Nighthawk provides services to radiology users throughout the world and has 350 more employees in other locations. Check www.nighthawkrad.net.

Parkside has 53 residential condos with 43 sold and 10 available starting at $675,000. Each residence on floors five through 17 has two bedrooms, two bathrooms and view deck and a two-car garage. Residences on level 18 add recreation rooms and dens with all rooms being larger. The four penthouses on levels 19-20 are all high-ceiling, two-story suites with three bedrooms, three bathrooms and two decks. (And the view looks down on The Coeur d'Alene Resort). Condo amenities include gas fireplaces, granite countertops and 9-foot ceilings. Contact Allison Brigham at 664-1773. Check www.parksidecda.com
Source: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/voice....asp?ID=242972

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 7:26 PM

Parkside looks good. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Is Parkside the second tallest? I forget.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 9:22 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
Parkside looks good. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Is Parkside the second tallest? I forget.
Yes, Parkside is the second tallest building in the city and third tallest in the state. It is 213 feet (20 floors), while the Cd'A Resort is 216 feet (18 floors) and is the second tallest building in the state.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:45 PM
World Traveler

Kootenai County is expected to grow by over 60,000 people in the next 10 years. That will bring the county population to over 200,000 residents!

Kootenai County considers impact fees
By: Erica F. Curless

With 60,500 projected new residents and 19,900 more homes in the next decade, Kootenai County wants to figure out how such unprecedented growth can help pay for roads, parks, fire districts and jails.

An advisory committee unanimously recommended in an April 21 report that the county commission adopt impact fees on residential and commercial building permits.

The county departments and fire and highway districts all crafted capital improvement plans that detail their specific needs in the next 10 years when the population will swell to an estimated 203,339 people, a 30 percent increase. The consultant used these plans to calculate an impact fee to charge for each new home and every square foot of new commercial space. The proposed fees vary depending on the level of service needed in each area.

Neither Spokane nor Spokane County charges impact fees.

Yet Spokane is considering adopting fees to help pay for traffic-system improvements. The impact fees would require developers to pay 95 percent of certain transportation upgrades and mean that the cost of a new home could increase $660 to $3,000. The fees would add hundreds of thousands of dollars to the cost of commercial developments.

Kootenai County Commissioner Todd Tondee has pushed for impact fees since he was elected. Along with the other commissioners, he was instrumental in prompting the Idaho Legislature to pass a bill in 2007 allowing their collection. If Kootenai County decides to begin collecting impact fees, it would be one of the first counties in the state to do so. Many Idaho cities, including Coeur d'Alene, Post Falls, Hayden and Rathdrum, already assess the fees.
Link: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local....asp?ID=244604

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 7:57 PM
World Traveler

Hayden, U.S. 95 property on market for $30 million
164-acre parcel touted for possible light industrial, commercial projects

By Mike McLean

A 164-acre parcel of former agricultural land in Hayden, Idaho, is on the market for $30 million, a price the Kootenai County Assessor’s Office says could be a record for a real estate deal in the county in terms of dollar value.

The parcel, called Hayden Crossroads, is at the southwest corner of U.S. 95 and Lancaster Road, just northeast of the Coeur d’Alene Airport. The property has been owned by New Frontiers Investments LLC, of Hayden, since 1994.

It’s a “premier location for high-profile development,” says Edward Hanley, the listing agent for Hanley Investment Group Real Estate Advisors, of Irvine, Calif., which specializes in sales of shopping centers and single-tenant retail properties and is marketing the property jointly with the Coeur d’Alene office of RealTeam Real Estate Center Inc.

The land is zoned for light industrial uses, and Hayden’s comprehensive land-use plan also allows for commercial uses, Hanley says. Uses could include retail, service, manufacturing, warehousing, and freight handling, he says.

Rich Houser, the county’s chief deputy assessor, says that if the land sold for its asking price of $30 million, it would be the highest price paid in a real estate transaction in the county’s records.

The largest completed real estate transaction recorded in the county involved the sale of the land that became the Pointe at Post Falls in west Post Falls, in which 234 acres sold for $20.2 million in 2006, Houser says.

The current assessed value of the Hayden Crossroads parcel is just under $4 million, he says, adding that the assessed value is based in part on recent sales prices of similar property.

The county receives sales-price information through the Coeur d’Alene Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service (MLS), of which it is an associate member. Because Idaho is a nondisclosure state, the county doesn’t receive sales-price information on property not listed through the MLS, Hauser says.

Alan Golub, a principal in New Frontiers Investments and a real estate agent with Real­Team, says the Hayden Crossroads parcel is priced comparably on a square-foot basis to smaller light-industrial parcels on the market in Hayden, and less per square foot than some land for sale near the Coeur d’Alene airport.

Golub says the Hayden Crossroads parcel is about the size of the site of the Riverstone mixed-use development near downtown Coeur d’Alene. With its half-mile of U.S. 95 frontage, Hayden Crossroads potentially would accommodate the largest commercial and light-industrial development in the “northern gateway to Coeur d’Alene,” he says.

The mostly vacant property includes a 7,000-square-foot building that could be used for office space, Golub says. The structure formerly housed offices of Electronic Packaging Associates Inc. and, more recently, a church, he says.

The former agricultural land is a quarter-mile west of the proposed Hayden Canyon mixed-use project. Hay­den Canyon, if approved, would include 1,800 residential units just north of Lan­caster and east of Government Way. The developer, Hayden Canyon Lands Inc., is asking the city to annex the 600-acre parcel.

Golub says Hayden Canyon and Hayden Crossroads would complement each other, “but one is not dependent on the other.”

No residential development would be allowed in the Hayden Crossroads parcel because of its proximity to the Coeur d’Alene airport, he says

Road improvements called for in the city of Hayden’s transportation plan should make the property attractive to potential developers and investors, Golub asserts.

The transportation plan calls for improvements to U.S. 95 and Lancaster, at the northeast corner of the parcel that’s up for sale, including expanding the highway from two lanes to four lanes. The plan also anticipates that Ramsey Road will be extended north, from about Buckles Road, near the western border of the parcel to connect with Lancaster.

Lisa Key, Hayden’s community development director, says those improvements are in the city’s long-term transportation plan, but aren’t scheduled or funded yet.

Depending on the scope of development projects proposed, however, developers would be expected to help pay for some road improvements, she says.

“It would be part and parcel of what would be required of these acreages,” she says of planned road improvements.

The Hayden Cross­roads parcel is within the city’s urban renewal district, which allows for additional financing options to build infrastructure, she says.

Key says she hasn’t seen a development proposal for the Hayden Crossroads property yet. She says a large-scale project would be subject to the public hearing process. She adds, however, that a developer could do a minor subdivision of up to six lots without requiring a hearing.

Hanley says he’s marketing the property to potential developers nationally and in Canada.

“I’ve had conversations with a lot of developers, but we haven’t found a buyer,” he says.

He says some potential developers are more interested in buying portions of the parcel rather than all of it.

One of the major selling points of the property is that the Inland Northwest still is seen as a high-growth area, while other markets, including those in Arizona, Nevada, and Florida, have cooled considerably.

“There’s no question it’s going through growth spurts, but it is a stable area,” he says.
Link: http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=3597

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 9:47 PM
World Traveler

Sports complex idea draws interest
By BRIAN WALKER

COEUR d'ALENE -- There's interest in exploring the feasibility of a multi-million dollar sports complex in the Riverstone project along the Spokane River that would bolster the local economy, the Coeur d'Alene Area Chamber of Commerce CEO said on Friday.

"The big picture is that we hope to create a complex that would attract volleyball, wrestling, baseball (and other sports teams) from throughout the Northwest for tournaments and competitions that would serve the community," Jonathan Coe said. "It's very much worth exploring."

Coe said North Idaho currently doesn't have such a complex, so this would fit a need, especially with future growth.

"What's going forward is to look at hiring a consulting firm to examine the financial feasibility," Coe said. "What we'd look at is whether it's doable and how it would be paid for."

Coe said the chamber is among the groups which are willing to support a feasibility study.

The site that would be explored straddles the Riverstone property off Northwest Boulevard and the soon-to-be Black Rock property that was formerly occupied by the Stimson Lumber mill site off Atlas Road.

Coe said whether the complex would be open to either amateur or pro teams is something that would also be examined.

"It could be both," he said. "The idea of hiring a consultant is to get better information."

Coe said the idea that's being bantered is having a ballfield, possibly a baseball field, that's attached to an enclosed arena that could be used for sports such as volleyball, basketball and gymnastics during the winter.

The chamber is working with Spokane-based Stone, Rivard, McGonigle Development (SRM) on the project. Coe referred questions on the specifics of the initiative such as the size of the site, the cost of the feasibility study and all the groups that would fund it to SRM's Dave Tomson.

When contacted on Friday, Tomson said he couldn't immediately comment. He couldn't be reached later.

John Stone, who is developing the village-like, multi-use Riverstone project, is a partner of SRM Development.

SRM, which also has offices in Seattle and Coeur d'Alene, has built luxury condominiums, upscale senior housing communities, office complexes and mixed-use projects in four western states.

The idea of a sports arena in Kootenai County has been tossed around in recent years.

About four years ago, the head of a semi-pro football league pitched a sports complex off Interstate 90 at Post Falls near the Cabela's site. But the plan never materialized and didn't appear to gain financial backing.

An equine park on the Rathdrum Prairie near Rathdrum gained City Council approval, but construction has not started.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West