HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 1:39 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

"This part of downtown gives the appearance of being less safe, with the street people and panhandlers," Buckstein said during his final week at the Woodlark. "People don't want to come down here, people tell us. And women did not feel safe after dark."

DT Portland isnt at all like DT Detroit, but there is some truth to that. My girlfriend used to work at a bar downtown and I would drive her to work, then come back and pick her up at 2:30 am because she didnt feel safe walking 2 or 3 blocks to her car. I didnt really like the arangement too much but you cant blame her, street kids beating people with socks stuffed with soup cans, the ocasional shooting, charred bodys turning up by the river, those kind of things dont happen on Scholls Ferry. I rarely feel uncomfortable downtown but I wouldnt want my mother walking around in the middle of the night either.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 1:51 AM

I used to live on Scholls Ferry, also. Nothing happens on Scholls Ferry.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:12 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

^ Hey, your "location" tag used to say Florence, do you still live down there? I love that town.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:11 AM

Yah, but Florence sounded boring to me...so I changed it to the tribe's name for this area. I hope Florence is still here tomorrow...the storm is hitting pretty hard and it's just beginning...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 3:18 AM

Directors Park (PB5) | Complete

sorry everybody but i can't find original thread. i sure wish they would get the searching feature back
i took these pictures tonight. i went all around downtown tonight taking pictures but they didn't turn out too well so i'm only posting pictures of construction stuff.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 5:38 PM

Demolition to The Nines
by Kennedy Smith
12/22/2006

The former Meier & Frank building, covered in scaffolding and emitting the familiar construction-related clanking, banging, grinding and buzzing, is alive with activity as Hoffman Construction works to transform the upper 10 floors of the 100-year-old building into a luxury hotel, The Nines

Hoffman is working alongside contractor S.D. Deacon on the building – Hoffman is in charge of the hotel renovation and Deacon will work on the lower floors, dedicated to retail space occupied by Macy’s. The store will close at the end of the year as more intense demolition and renovation begins.

The structure is an experiment in duality – Hoffman working with S.D. Deacon, and historic preservation aligning with the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Environmental Design silver rating standards.

Brian Craner, a project engineer, walks the grounds, pointing to the debris chute and several bins of material ready for recycling.

“What’s happening right now is primarily demolition, getting into the structure,” he says. “We spent the majority of the fall going through and tearing down the existing partitions, moving out furnishings and equipment and working on old piping systems – basically tearing apart the structure and getting ready for the structural upgrades by removing big portions of it.”

DJC: Where does the debris go?

Brian Craner: It all gets sorted out here by the type of material, whether concrete, metals or wood, and they’ll be going to their respective recycling facilities. Because this is a LEED project, we’re going through the recycling process.

• • • •

CRANER CONTINUES his pace as he heads up a set of temporary stairs onto an industrial elevator that will eventually lead to the 13th floor. The elevator halts and the door slides up to reveal what looks like a contained war zone – tubes, hoses, columns, hanging wires, piles of wood and concrete. The two most noticeable features are the gaping hole in the ceiling where the mezzanine will be, and the fact that there’s mud on the floor.

• • • •

DJC: What are we looking at here?

Craner: This is the 13th floor. We always joke about the existing floor labels and the new ones, because they change. Are you on the old 12 or the new 12? This 13 will eventually become level 12.

The building was built in phases – the northwest quadrant was basically 1908, the east side was built in 1914, and the block got filled in around 1930 – so when you go around you see a lot of different structural types, which really has been our big challenge.

When you come up and do a work activity and you’re trying to work with a structure, you think you have a rhythm down or an understanding. Then you move 20 feet and it’s a completely different era of construction. Instead of beams like this (Craner points to concrete beam), you might have a totally different deck structure. When we go down to the lower floors, you’ll see the columns down below are different eras of steel, from rolled shapes to built-up shapes. Once you get into the structure you start seeing all these different things, so there’s not necessarily a rule of thumb that you can apply to the entire building.

• • • •

CRANER WALKS TOWARD the hole in the ceiling, where the roof is exposed, showing a mish-mash of HVAC systems, fans and utility boxes that have been plopped on top of the building throughout the years.

• • • •

Craner: This is our first push on taking the roof off. You can see up top, in the 1960s, somebody came in and did a bunch of renovations to the building to include putting an air handler on top of the building, and you find a lot of ductwork throughout, so we’re working on that. As we work our way down the roof, we work our way down to the history of the building.

You see all these doghouses and rooftop penthouses that were added on over the years.

DJC: How does mud get on the 13th floor?

Craner: In that space there used to be an old fur locker, and the ladies from town would come in right before the summer and turn them in to have them kept in cool storage over the summer. That space was aligned with thick cork walls for insulation, and this has been ground down with other materials, and that’s what we’re stepping in.

DJC: When you’re doing a project like this, you have to consider historical preservation. How do you demolish something but also make sure you’re preserving certain parts from the past?

Craner: The design team and their consultants have provided guidance in regard to what will stay and what is considered historical, and what the National Parks Service registrar of landmarks considers historical.

The whole façade essentially is considered historical. It’s terra cotta, so there will be some somewhat surgical demolition activity where we’re coming up to the face of the building and we’re moving some old structure but having to preserve the terra cotta façade.

Another aspect of the preservation is the Georgian Room, which has been here for years. We put a lot of effort into salvaging the trim and other aspects of that room that were considered historic, so we can bring them back and incorporate them into the new space. We’re mainly directed and guided by the design team, and we work hard to fulfill those requirements.

• • • •

UNLIKE the lower floors, the 13th still has a bit of demolition to go before upgrades can begin.

• • • •

DJC: What phase are you in here?

Craner: The structure of this building is a concrete-encased steel structure. The concrete was used as fireproofing but really doesn’t have a structural body to it, so we have to go in here and upgrade the columns, the brace frames, the connection plates. As a precursor to that, the demolition crew comes in and starts removing the concrete so that our ironworkers can come in and make the upgrades. That’s the phase that we’re getting into right now. The rooftop demolition and selective demolition will pave the way for the ironworkers, and then we’ll come back and work our way down from the atrium.

DJC: People think of demolition as going at a wall with a wrecking ball, it’s but more meticulous than that, right?

Craner: There is some of that, but you’re also looking to preserve the steel and create a workable surface. You’re working on demolishing next to items that are going to stay as critical structural components. It does take an extra level of care.

There’s this balance, where you want to keep the speed and momentum up, and then you get into the more detailed work, which slows the pace a little bit.

DJC: What’s your favorite part of doing a renovation like this?

Craner: I like the structural upgrade portion; it’s a sophisticated system of damper frames, a little different from traditional brace frames. There are pistons inside the damper frames that will slow down the building seismically. It’s all about taking the building down to its simplest form and building it back up, which is very exciting.

Like I said, it was built in three eras, so you just saw 1908, which was built at a shorter elevation than the rest of the structure. When we come through and do our rooftop demolition, we’re coming down to an elevation on three quarters of it, but that northwest corner comes down a little further, and when we build it back up it will get a new façade.

• • • •

WHILE CRANER explains the process, he descends to lower levels – ones that look a bit clearer but still dusty. He points to an area near the center of the floor, indicating that’s where the mezzanine will be. Soon, this – the eighth floor and all those above – will feature a huge, gaping hole, just like what the 13th level already has.

• • • •

DJC: With all the different eras this building was constructed, it must be like constant problem-solving when it comes to demolition.

Craner: Right. The design team puts out a set of documents and they do a very good job with historical prints, but there’s only so much you can gain from that. Then we have conversations with them about what we’re finding out and they address it as we go. All of our subcontractors are working with the talent of the design team to keep moving it forward.

Like right here (Craner points along a beam in the ceiling), we might be going along doing demolition and we think we have it figured out and then it changes just like that.

DJC: You’re working from the top down, right?

Craner: The flow of work is based on how we have the floors turned over to us by the store. It’s sort of an opportunistic way of getting the flow down, in the early stages. But obviously with the atrium, we’ll be working from the top down, letting gravity work for us. That will be the ideal flow.

DJC: It seems like a daunting task.

Craner: Yes, it’s sort of an art. You get to a certain point where you see dust and debris, and you have to ask yourself whether you’ll ever get this thing clean enough for people to actually come and stay, but it’ll get there. It just takes time and effort.

DJC: Have you been sharing information about what you’ve found with Deacon?

Craner: Yes. We have weekly coordination meetings. It’s a unique project. I’m not sure anybody’s done a project like this before, two (contractors) occupying the same building. We have systems running through their floors, so we have to be intimately coordinated.

Early on, both contractors had a good understanding of how we would be working together throughout. We both knew nobody was going to benefit from lack of coordination.

http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...28606&userID=1

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 5:10 PM

Park scenes make site picture-perfect
by Alison Ryan
12/28/2006

Historic Portland park photos printed across a construction scrim at the future site of South Park Block 5 are providing a little urban nature – at least, until the real thing is planted.

Hoffman Construction Co. crews are at work on the six-level below-surface parking garage on the downtown block that’ll eventually be topped by another park block. But construction on the new green room isn’t expected to begin until fall 2007, and project architect TVA Architects and developer TMT Development Co. wanted to add visual interest in the meantime.

The result is the sheer, 216-foot-long and 8-foot-high scrim that runs along the excavation site’s east edge. In part, said Robert Thompson, TVA principal, the printed scenery serves a practical function.

It – hopefully – keeps the dust down. Fox Tower occupants and shoppers are able to keep their access to Park Avenue during the yearlong construction period. And, Thompson said, it makes pedestrians more comfortable traveling past the 74-foot hole that Hoffman is excavating.

“We wanted people to have a sense of security,” he said, “as they were walking along that edge, looking down on that hole.”

But at the same time, Thompson says, the design team wanted the barrier to be translucent, so pedestrians could stop and watch the underground garage being built below.

The scrim is made of vinyl mesh, printed by Oregon Blue Print with a technique that’s widely used in billboards. The mesh means sightlines to the construction are preserved – and passers-by still get a history lesson.

Photographs of the site and the rest of the South Park Blocks at the turn-of-the-century are interlaced with more modern park images. The team hunted through the Oregon Historical Society’s catalog, looking for images that captured urban green spaces.

“Portland has such a rich history of parks,” Thompson said. “It was fun going through, looking for images that conveyed that spirit.”

The printed design scenes and night lighting are also meant to heighten the walking experience.

“It activates the sidewalk,” Thompson said, “and makes the journey a little more interesting.”

Garage completion is slated for fall 2007. Construction of the street-level park will begin as the garage finishes; the park is hoped to open publicly in summer 2008. The park, part of the 3 Downtown Parks project, is being designed by a ZGF Partnership team that includes landscape architects Laurie Olin and Mayer/Reed as well as designer Tad Savinar and Thompson.

Though it’ll be a while until the real thing appears, certain Portlanders have taken notice of the graphic stand-in. Sections of the photo-screened scrim have disappeared, though Thompson says he has no idea how anyone would use them.

“But,” he said, “you never know, do you?”

http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...28628&userID=1

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 6:35 PM

Dougall - awesome pics, as always. I particularily love the first and the third ones with the gorgeous tree. Despite its rather squatty nature, I do like this building. The patterns of different types of glass make it look like a modern sculpture of sorts.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 6:13 PM
Well designed mixed use

Stumptown--ACE Hotel

Opens February 17th at SW 10th and Stark. I live four blocks away so I'll get far less exercise trekking as I do to SW 3rd and Oak every day. I would have put this in the Pearl thread, but it's not really the Pearl.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 9:28 PM
Well designed mixed use

South of Burnside

I can't remember if we had a thread titled this before, but there is a lot of activity south of Burnside close to Powell's and I think it deserves its own thread. I know the "Gayborhood" thread pertains to this area, but I was hoping we could initiate discussion about the developments more than the social changes in the neighborhood--those these are certainly important.

Stumptown is going to rock the area. Ace Hotel is going to completely change the face of Stark Street. The Federal building has sold and word is the Goodmans are looking to develop the surface lot near Rocco's, adjacent to the aforementioned building. Living Room Theatres is a nice addition, though there seems to be having an identity crisis. There is a new bistro going in the Ace Building too.

Some are calling this area "South Pearl," which I believe is criminal. Unlike the Pearl, this area has far more history and has long been a gay and bohemian enclave. Remember Ozone, Django, etc? What's also interesting is that the business are pretty much local. Living Room Theatres is owned by local filmmakers, ACE by three Seattle-ites (same guys who own Rudy's Barbershop), Stumptown by Duane, etc.

What do you guys think?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 9:52 PM

you forgot the biggest addition, the ZGF tower, plus that old coot that is putting up the 325' Manhattan across the 405. There is also talk that G-E, partnering with Goodman, has purchased the option to buy the Silverado block. The Eagle nightclub building is also being renovated.

I think the area is set to expand on the Brewery Blocks 'lifestyle center' theme. I have yet to visit the Brewery Blocks be it early morning or late night, and not see a ton of pedestrian activity in the area. As the Pearl crosses Burnside, the Stark Street area is going to be the next front for dining, retail, and entertainment. Powells has always been teeming with life indoors, but the previous neighborhood didn't offer any option to all those people that wanted something to do after browsing titles for an afternoon. With the theater directly across from Powells, the area is on the cusp of exploding.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 9:58 PM

"old coot"? Hmmm, I guess we old coots need to round up you "yungins" and spank your behinds.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:13 PM

^hehehee...well, Weston is really an old coot, with all due respect for his talents and ability to develop. There was an in-depth story in the Oregonian sometime last year, and the guy just seemed a bit cold, to say the least. When the lead developer on the Benson tower died in a plane crash Weston only statement was 'we will buy his portion out and continue on' it appeared he had no sorrow at the loss at least publicly. In any case, he's got money and is putting up towers so I don't care what he's like in person, as long as he puts something nice up.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:42 PM

Here's that awful quote. It was in the DJC

Benson Tower developer killed in plane crash in Canada
by Justin Stranzl
DJC 06/06/2005

Eric van Doorninck, developer of the Benson Tower now under construction in downtown Portland, died May 29 in a plane crash in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Van Doorninck, 47, was killed when a small plane he was piloting crashed during takeoff from a private airstrip he'd recently built on a ranch five miles outside of Vancouver. Van Doorninck took off at an awkward angle; while he was readjusting, a wing of his 1967 Piper Cherokee clipped a tree.

Construction of his Benson Tower began earlier this year at 1500 S.W. 11th Ave., a site formerly occupied by the Simon Benson House. When completed, the tower will rise 26 stories and fill 156,000 square feet.

For the project van Doorninck partnered with Joe Weston, the developer of hundreds of apartments in Portland's Pearl District, to form Benson Tower LLC. Weston said completion of the $30 million project is "still set" for spring 2007, a date van Doorninck said he was targeting earlier this year.

"We're going through an adjustment here," Weston said, "but we do this all the time. We lose partners; they get divorced (or) they die. You rise to the occasion."

Weston said he'll buy out van Doorninck's share of the project and continue "right ahead." No other project partners will be replaced, he said.

Rachelle Freegard, a designer with the firm of record, Portland's MCA Architects PC, said van Doorninck's death was a loss for all of the Pacific Northwest. His plan for a 26-story tower similar to ones in his native Vancouver will serve as an "inspiration" upon completion, Freegard said.

"He brought Canada and Portland together," she said.

A memorial service is planned for June 16 in Vancouver. No services are planned in Portland.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:43 PM

I kind of remember that story about Weston. What it contained suggests he's an example of the kind of person that people may well have dramatically contrasting opinions about; a realist from the old school perspective about how business must be done. Sort of a rain or shine, the mail must go through kind of guy. Seems like the article also gave examples of how in his life and career, Weston went out of his way to help out other people. Such people can be easily misunderstood, admired and hated. Too bad we don't have a link to that article.

It's good to see things hopping on Stark. The street has always had a nice vibe, except for the creeps crusin for young kids. That activity seems to have tapered off in the last year or so. The new business and construction will hopefully finish it there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:47 PM
Well designed mixed use

What do you guys think about Living Room Theatres?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 12:13 AM

I haven't been yet, but its looked pretty quiet whenever i've walked by i think most people don't know its open.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 12:48 AM

The prices might be keeping people away. $13 for admission. And then an $8-$10 tapas and sandwich menu. Throw in a couple of drinks and it's a pretty expensive date.

That said, I do want to give it a try.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 1:42 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Living Room theaters has an ad in the paper saying $9 matinees for opening week. Hurry while you can before it costs a ton!

Isn't $9 cheaper than the normal theaters downtown?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:45 AM

it sounds like a glorified laurelhurst theater.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland