HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 11:19 PM

http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/page75.html

^Found the Article; but some more pics of the Huntsville Malls from back in the day would be awesome!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 11:29 PM

This was during my 7 years away from Huntsville; so I never actually saw Parkway City be torn down like most of you guys.

Just, remember the Parkway City Mall of old when I left at age 10 in 1995, and the new Parkway Place almost ready to open when I moved back in Summer 2002.

The new mall is nice, and I am kinda glad Green Cove Mall never came into fruition, since it would have likely caused unspeakable damage to the Parkway City site, and would have drawn away customers from Madison Square Mall on the westside of town.

I just miss those good Saturdays as a kid when my family would drive from Madison to South Huntsville, and we'd get Chocolate dipped Ice Cream at Red's Old Fashioned Ice Cream at Parkway City, and my mom would take a look though Yielding and McRaes while my dad would take me and my little bro to the Dollar Tree or Waldenbooks or Circus World.

"Times have changed, and times are strange. Here I come, but I ain't the same."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 5:32 AM
Burming Hammer

wow, i forgot how ugly parkway city mall was. parkway place is definitely a nice addition. i don't have much of an emotional attachment to parkway city... even though we lived in southeast huntsville, we would still travel out to madison square. i remember all the talk about the green cove mall... wasn't it supposed to be bigger than madison square? not sure why it fell through, but maybe it's for the best as you suggested.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 3:37 PM
America's Mars Rocket

UAH transformation continues

will be a nice addition..
By KENNETH KESNER
Times Staff Writer kesner@htimes.com
Trees, lake and roundabout to add 'pop' to entry

Go by the University of Alabama in Huntsville on Sparkman Drive and it's easy to see the big pile of red dirt where the skeleton of the four-story, 200,000-square-foot Applied Sciences Building will soon sprout.

What's harder to picture is how much this view of the UAH campus will change over the next 18 months. Work will begin shortly on a lake and tree-lined boulevard in front of the new building that will create a main entrance to the university.
The plan is to have it all finished at the same time as the opening of the $60 million-plus Applied Sciences Building in 2007, said Mike Finnegan, UAH assistant vice president for facilities and operations.

The idea of an official gateway to the campus has been around for years and was included in the construction master plan approved by trustees last year.

"One of the goals in the master plan is to bring some identity to the campus," Finnegan said. With so much high-tech industry, Cummings Research Park and the National Space Science and Technology Center nearby, it hasn't always been obvious to visitors what belongs to the university.

From Sparkman Drive, at least, that won't be a problem. Drivers will pass through brick-and-stone gates and walls bearing the name of the school, then along a tree-lined lane to a roundabout with the imposing Applied Sciences Building in the background. Lakeside Drive will be rerouted as part of the roundabout project, and the lake system expanded to create a new pool of water to complement the scene.

Meanwhile, construction continues on other projects that should enhance campus life: the five fraternity and sorority houses to open this fall, and on new athletic and practice fields.

And, in a few months, work may begin on the "intermodal center" - a multistory parking deck that will have connections with city and campus bus services, Finnegan said.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 3:43 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Jordan Lane /53 torture

a turtle would have travelled the entire length by now..

Huntsville Times
It's been just more than 10 years since then-Gov. Fob James announced in Ardmore that the widening of Alabama 53 from Huntsville to near Ardmore would be moved up to 1996 from 1998.

Progress has been slow for one reason or another, but a milestone was reached Friday when the Alabama Department of Transportation opened bids for the first phase of the project.

Motorists should see construction this spring to widen the highway from two lanes to five from just north of Mastin Lake Road through the Research Park Boulevard intersection to just north of Nick Fitcheard Road.

Reed Contracting Services Inc. of Union Grove submitted a bid of just more than $4.9 million. The state also got a bid of $5.7 million bid from APAC-Southeast Inc. of Birmingham and $6 million from Shelby Contracting Co.

Once a contract is signed and a work order issued, the winning bidder will have 300 working days (or a year and a half to two years) to widen the 1.8-mile stretch of the highway.

State Sen. Tom Butler, D-Madison, said Friday he is "tickled to death" that work on the first phase is about to begin.

"It's a big day for everybody who has to use Alabama 53," Butler said. "It's been a long time coming."

Although James announced in November 1995 that the widening of Alabama 53 would be moved up to 1996, it was 1999 before the DOT unveiled the preliminary plans and route to the public, and it was almost two years ago when the DOT held a public hearing on the proposed final plans.

Link to rest of articlehttp://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/kclines.ssf?/base/news/1137320504289620.xml&coll=1

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 3:49 PM
America's Mars Rocket

BRAC boom planning

largest population boom since the 1960's some are predicting

Those moves are expected to bring about 4,700 new workers to the arsenal and perhaps an equal number of support contractors. About 25,000 people work on the arsenal now.

The influx of people will lead to almost $1 billion in government spending over the next decade aimed at improving arsenal roads and building new office and research complexes.

"We have a lot to do preparing for (new work), but I'm confident it will be done," said Pillsbury, commander of the Army Aviation and Missile Command. "I don't want thousands of people to show up for work here one day and Redstone Arsenal not have a place for them to work."

U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, estimates that building 1.9 million square feet of office and work space - the equivalent of almost 10 Wal-Mart Supercenters - to house the new commands will cost about $420 million.

In addition to more than $400 million for buildings and labs, about $500 million will be needed to build the Patriot Parkway, a highway that city and Army officials hope will ease traffic congestion on Redstone.

The road won't be completed for at least a decade, Cramer said. "Even if the first shovel of dirt was turned tomorrow, then it would still be at least seven years, maybe a decade, before the new highway was complete," he said. "Road projects are a long process."

But bids for building construction cannot be awarded until Congress passes the fiscal 2007 budget. Given recent history, that probably won't happen until December.
A new area for helicopter test flights and landings will be built on the southern end of Redstone, and a runway to support unmanned aerial vehicles will be built within a mile of the airfield.

"The sky over Huntsville is going to be alive with the sound of freedom," Pillsbury said with a grin. "In the next few years, there's going to be more helicopters and UAVs in the air. It's really going to be a good place for aviation here."

Pillsbury expects the new aviation work, along with support jobs related to the Army Materiel Command, will increase civilian defense and aerospace contractor jobs here.

"I don't see any way around Huntsville growing because of this," he said. "And this community is seen as being well-positioned" to accommodate the growth.

"Once the word gets out about what a great place (Huntsville) is to live and raise a family, I think there will be people moving down here on their own to find a job."

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 4:33 PM

wow, sounds huge!

DC/Baltimore and Richmond!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 5:18 PM

The Applied Sciences building ($60 million , 200,000sqft) is a huge catch for such a small university - should lead to a lot of growth there. Thanks, Senator Shelby !

The BRAC numbers look incredible :

"largest population boom since the 1960's some are predicting

Those moves are expected to bring about 4,700 new workers to the arsenal and perhaps an equal number of support contractors. About 25,000 people work on the arsenal now.

The influx of people will lead to almost $1 billion in government spending over the next decade aimed at improving arsenal roads and building new office and research complexes.

U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, estimates that building 1.9 million square feet of office and work space..."

Amazing # of new employees ! I visited Redstone years ago, and was really surprised just how much land is there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 6:37 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Madison Square Mall upgrades

North Alabama's largest mall is set for a makeover with renderings revealed this coming Thursday. New furnishings, paint carpet, escalators , elevators
signs, logo, bathrooms and entrances will all see changes. New stores are
also being courted. Bridge Street Towne Center will keep Mad Square on it's toes. CBL owns this mall and they are one of the best at this game.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 6:42 PM
America's Mars Rocket

More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity
The Applied Sciences building ($60 million , 200,000sqft) is a huge catch for such a small university - should lead to a lot of growth there. Thanks, Senator Shelby !

The BRAC numbers look incredible :

"largest population boom since the 1960's some are predicting

U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, estimates that building 1.9 million square feet of office and work space..."

Amazing # of new employees ! I visited Redstone years ago, and was really surprised just how much land is there.
Right Druid, it is being discussed that the Huntsville metro MAY see and additional 10,000- 15,000 pop increase in the next 4 years after the BRAC goes into full effect. Of course this won't all happen in Huntsville. Decatur, Athens, Scottsboro and southern TN will all see the effects. Currently house
construction is at a rapid pace and increasing. Huntsville has been very pro active and has positioned itself to do some great things. There will be some major developments for downtown this year as well.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2006, 9:12 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Bojangles NEW fried chicken

A fire late Sunday night destroyed the Bojangles restaurant on University Drive in Huntsville.

A police officer spotted the fire while on patrol.

The restaurant was blazing by the time Huntsville firefighters got there.

Firefighters were ordered out of the burning structure once it was deemed unsafe.

A short time after their exit, the roof collapsed.

Investigators haven't yet determined the cause of the fire.

Bojangles was scheduled to open on January 31st.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2006, 11:44 PM

Smile Bridge Street

HSVTIGER,
Thank you for keeping us updated on Huntsville's developments so well. I am extremely excited about Bridge Street. I have been in contact with O&S Holdings many times and even got through to Gary Safady. They have been very coy about the project. For a short period, they told me a department store would no longer be a part of the project and now they are mum which leads me to believe something is in the works. I've heard rumors of Nordstrom, which would be a major coup for our humble city. But, Nordstrom officials acted like they had never heard of Bridge Street but did admit to actively scouting Birmingham.
Anyway, I am wondering if you had heard any good rumors or have any positive leads. A Crate & Barrel would also be quite a powerful catch, but I would assume they would locate at The Summit in B'ham before coming here.
Any hopes that you know of big names in high-end retailing or specialty stores like J Crew, Restoration Hardware, or anything in general...?

Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 12:29 AM

^^Damnit; Bojangles is gone? I still love Popeye's, but being a UAH Student then having Bojangles so close and easy to would have been awesome.

^I wouldn't be suprised if Huntsville lands itself a Nordstrom; after all we did secure a Westin at Bridge Street; and the profound statement that a Nordstrom would have on Huntsville would make it worth hoping for.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 2:27 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson
^^Damnit; Bojangles is gone? I still love Popeye's, but being a UAH Student then having Bojangles so close and easy to would have been awesome.

^I wouldn't be suprised if Huntsville lands itself a Nordstrom; after all we did secure a Westin at Bridge Street; and the profound statement that a Nordstrom would have on Huntsville would make it worth hoping for.
Don't worry, Bo knows chicken

The building was to become the first Bojangles franchise in Alabama, said Rich Adams, vice president of operations for the spicy chicken chain.

"Absolutely," Adams said when asked if the chain will still open soon in Huntsville. He said the future franchise owner here may open several sites in Huntsville.

"They're still diligently moving forward on others," he said.

Adams said he couldn't discuss the other locations, but said, as of Monday afternoon, the franchise owner hadn't yet given up on the University Drive site.

The fire remains under investigation.

This is not the first time Bojangles has been in Alabama. There wer outlets here before, so hopefully this new version will be much improved.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 5:05 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Office space, Research Park

Quite a few of these type buildings being built or planned in Research Park.

This one should be complete by the end of the year

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 5:12 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVSTL
HSVTIGER,
Thank you for keeping us updated on Huntsville's developments so well. I am extremely excited about Bridge Street. I have been in contact with O&S Holdings many times and even got through to Gary Safady. They have been very coy about the project. For a short period, they told me a department store would no longer be a part of the project and now they are mum which leads me to believe something is in the works. I've heard rumors of Nordstrom, which would be a major coup for our humble city. But, Nordstrom officials acted like they had never heard of Bridge Street but did admit to actively scouting Birmingham.
Anyway, I am wondering if you had heard any good rumors or have any positive leads. A Crate & Barrel would also be quite a powerful catch, but I would assume they would locate at The Summit in B'ham before coming here.
Any hopes that you know of big names in high-end retailing or specialty stores like J Crew, Restoration Hardware, or anything in general...?

Thanks.
for the compliment but others also add a lot of info as well.
Congrats on making contact with the higher ups at O&S.
Some of the stores you mentioned may be coming, Nordstrom.. I don't see it,
Belks would be a better choice maybe. Most retail that will come to Huntsville
will probably locate in Birmingham first, but not always. Bridge Street is an
interesting project that may have to prove itself first even though it will be very successful. They hurt themselves at first with the hokey name, World Famous? Not hardly

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 5:21 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Big Spring Summit Lighting

Looks like downtown will finally have some neat lighting. Big Spring Summit's curved roof will be outlined in orange/red neon type lighting.
Looks like they were testing it the other night, this building should be finished
in the next 4-6 weeks. The Russell Erskine is sporting new uplighting on the outside and it is a good bet the Embassy Suite will be the best lit building
downtown when completed late this year. Reservation are being taken for the new hotel now. Hopefully the renovation at The Clinton Building will have striking light effects, how can you not?

Last edited by HSVTiger; Jan 17, 2006 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 5:37 PM
America's Mars Rocket

New Publix demographics

some numbers around the new Winchester Road Publix.
Big bucks,Publix has turned the spotlight on this underserved area
of Huntsville, now how long before the retail/ restaurant world will take notice.
I'll tell you this, A Ruby Tuesday type eatery, Logan's, Sticky Fingers etc
would make a KILLING in this area.
The number of households is going up daily.

1 mile 3 miles 5 miles
Population 1,475 10,770 23,241
Number of Households 541 4,032 8,557
Median Household Income $61,400 $56,115 $54,854

Last edited by HSVTiger; Jan 17, 2006 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 5:56 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Casino..Fort Payne..interesting

Fort Payne may be site for casino
Fort Payne is about 70 miles from Huntsville
Oklahoma Cherokees to buy land for gambling
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
From staff, wire reports
Huntsville Times
FORT PAYNE - North Alabama could get its first casino under a man's plan to turn over land for development to an American Indian tribe based in Oklahoma, where it already has a gambling operation.

David Hammonds, who owns 69 acres adjacent to an ancient Indian burial site in Fort Payne, said he plans to transfer the property to the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians this week.

Hammonds said the plan is to open a gambling casino "as soon as possible" in Fort Payne, a textile town located in the northeast corner of the state near Georgia and Tennessee.
Alabama already has casino-style Indian gaming halls in Atmore, Wetumpka and Montgomery. The operations, run by the Poarch Creek tribe, offer electronic bingo and pull-tab games.

Hammonds said the gambling hall proposed for northeast Alabama would have the same type games. It won't offer slot machines, blackjack or roulette, he said.

Charles Locust, vice chief of the Keetoowah, said the project remains in the planning stages.

"We're still just considering where we're going to go and what other services we want to provide once we have people who might want to relocate to work at that location. It will start off small," he said.

Patty Tucker, director of the DeKalb County Tourist Association, said the organization's board responded "very favorably" to Hammond's proposal for a gaming facility and an associated Indian cultural center.

"It could lead to an increase in hotels, restaurants, shops and spur economic growth in this community the likes of which we have never experienced before, and help offset some of the job loss we've had in the local hosiery industry," she said.

She said tribal leaders were to arrive in Fort Payne today or Wednesday to close the land deal.

Tucker also said Hammonds told the association that he is selling the land, not donating it as was previously reported.

"He left the impression that as soon as the land was deeded over" to the tribe, the land would be used to build a casino, Tucker said.

Hammonds said he hoped construction could begin "just as soon as all legal issues have been resolved." Construction of a tribal center for members who move to Alabama from Oklahoma could begin as early as March.

In addition to the gambling halls run by the Poarch Creek Indians, electronic bingo games are offered at the dog tracks in Macon and Greene counties and in the Lowndes County town of White Hall.

The Keetoowah tribe, with about 10,000 members, operates a casino in Tahlequah, Okla. The group depends on revenue from the casino to fund about 80 percent of its tribal programs.

Staff writer David Brewer contributed to this Associated Press report

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 6:31 PM
America's Mars Rocket

A new low cost carrier?NEWCO

for the south ,midwest, and east,

Joel J. Smith / The Detroit News

Northwest Airlines is expected to detail plans today to launch a low-cost carrier in 2007 equipped with 70- to 100-seat jets and staffed by pilots and flights attendants paid at reduced wage scales.

The new airline would fly mainly out of Northwest's major hubs in Detroit, Minneapolis and Memphis to small and medium-sized markets across the United States and Canada, according to a newsletter that will be distributed today to Northwest's 34,000 employees.

Unlike Delta Air Line's Song and United Airline's Ted, which were created as low-cost airlines within an airline, Northwest's new carrier would be a separate company

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast