HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 6:01 PM

That pavement is the westernmost lane of West Peachtree. For quite a few years the city has required developers to either leave sidewalks open or reserve a lane for pedestrians. Before that change, developers often closed sidewalks for years at a time and it could be very hard to get around.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 6:27 PM

^And to be fair, this site didn't provide the pedestrian path until now. For half a year the sidewalk was just closed, despite the requirement. Atlanta developers are awful in terms of accessibility during construction.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^And to be fair, this site didn't provide the pedestrian path until now. For half a year the sidewalk was just closed, despite the requirement. Atlanta developers are awful in terms of accessibility during construction.
It's been closed up until now because they have been buying utilities. This doesn't happen overnight. From the looks of it, it should be open for pedestrians from now on.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdan View Post
It's been closed up until now because they have been buying utilities. This doesn't happen overnight. From the looks of it, it should be open for pedestrians from now on.
They can, do, and should go up overnight. Tech Square Phase III is an example, they blocked a lane of W.Peachtree and set up the pedestrian corridor within one day. It may sound picky or over-the-top, but it's really critical especially for accessibility for people with disabilities. Specifically for 1072 W.Peachtree, during the 5+ months where they closed the sidewalk, there were several times where the sidewalk on the east side of the street was also closed for utility relocation, making it impossible for pedestrians to travel between 11th and 12th on W.Peachtree.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
They can, do, and should go up overnight. Tech Square Phase III is an example, they blocked a lane of W.Peachtree and set up the pedestrian corridor within one day. It may sound picky or over-the-top, but it's really critical especially for accessibility for people with disabilities. Specifically for 1072 W.Peachtree, during the 5+ months where they closed the sidewalk, there were several times where the sidewalk on the east side of the street was also closed for utility relocation, making it impossible for pedestrians to travel between 11th and 12th on W.Peachtree.
I remember specifically they buried the transformers for the site. As well as worked on water service. The work was being done in the middle of the road. I believe they had justified closing that sidewalk for a period of time.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I remember specifically they buried the transformers for the site. As well as worked on water service. The work was being done in the middle of the road. I believe they had justified closing that sidewalk for a period of time.
I walk that way frequently (I live a few blocks away) and they absolutely could have provided a pedestrian pathway. W.Peachtree was four lanes wide on this block. If you believe they're justified in closing the sidewalk for more than 5 months, why don't you believe they should have utilized one of those four lanes of roadway to accommodate pedestrians and people using wheelchairs? Do you think it was OK when the sidewalk on both sides of the street was closed, but they still had three lanes open to cars? They prioritized cars over people, despite it being in violation of both the ADA and city ordinances. The number of excuses people make for Atlanta's poor walkability is wild.

For comparison, the Whistler, at Spring at Abercrombie Place, also had major utility work (weeks of night-permitted hydrovac-ing to replace a water main, for example), and they provided a pedestrian path for the entire course of construction. It caused Spring street to be reduced to at times as few as one general purpose lane. And they did it. It's just a matter of priorities.

Last edited by shivtim; Nov 2, 2023 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 1:28 AM

Quote:
despite it being in violation of both the ADA and city ordinances
I highly doubt this developer violated any ordinances. Have you checked their permits or asked the city about it? They will have all the information if you're interested in. Although the requirements are stricter now, developers can still get permits to close sidewalks for short periods under special circumstances, like demolition hazards etc.

If you ever again believe you've seen a sidewalk blocked illegally, please let the city know. They will take care of it right away. I've done it myself and the issue was resolved the next day.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 3:17 PM

Quote:
I walk that way frequently (I live a few blocks away) and they absolutely could have provided a pedestrian pathway. W.Peachtree was four lanes wide on this block. If you believe they're justified in closing the sidewalk for more than 5 months, why don't you believe they should have utilized one of those four lanes of roadway to accommodate pedestrians and people using wheelchairs? Do you think it was OK when the sidewalk on both sides of the street was closed, but they still had three lanes open to cars? They prioritized cars over people, despite it being in violation of both the ADA and city ordinances. The number of excuses people make for Atlanta's poor walkability is wild.

For comparison, the Whistler, at Spring at Abercrombie Place, also had major utility work (weeks of night-permitted hydrovac-ing to replace a water main, for example), and they provided a pedestrian path for the entire course of construction. It caused Spring street to be reduced to at times as few as one general purpose lane. And they did it. It's just a matter of priorities.
I watch this construction site every day Monday thru Friday and there have been times where only one car lane has been open. They've had lots of large equipment moving in and out daily and I think they did the best they could as quickly as possible for getting pedestrian access reopened. Closing sidewalks is never good, but I think the city has done a great job recently in making things better during construction.

Also I'll get some updated photos today in the next couple of hours or so.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 6:40 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdan View Post
Thank you for the update.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 12:23 AM

Looks like they're getting close to the first major concrete pour

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 4:38 PM

Can't get any areal (at least more that a 5'9" can do) so I settle for "slipping" into the gate for a quickie before I get some side eye.

Sorry for the focus but getting through 3 layers of cyclone fence is hard. I put the camera between the links on the first but.......I thought it was in focus but no glasses, running fatigue and 35º.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 4:55 PM

Very cool pics. This work site is awesome and those columns are going to be thick as hell.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 5:02 PM

[OT] Didn't mean to spark a debate and while I'm only an internet "expert" I do have a large body of first hand (or feet) experience. In the last 5 years I have almost certainly ran MANY times by every construction site in Downtown, Midtown, Westside and Buckhead.

Many sits have been or are blocked for a year or more. Seems you can block if there is a sidewalk on the other side. But here are examples of 2 instances when that was not true. Williams St and 14th there is no sidewalk on the west side of Williams St and it was blocked off for a year or more. At the old Norfolk Southern/new VISA building was blocked off for over a year and there is no public sidewalk on the east side of Peachtree there. I emailed the Midtown Alliance explaining this and they had it opened in a week.

Here are a couple of examples from this morning's run of long term blocked off sidewalks.

Also I was more impressed that they paved fresh new a path of asphalt on the street just for peds. I don't remember seeing this before and have had to run through some super janky pavement. While not super bad here a a few examples from this morning's run.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 5:18 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 11:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 7:24 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzKzO3bukDt/

Great depiction of what this will look like,,,awesome.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 12:45 AM

Concrete

Snapped a few shots about a week ago of them prepping and starting to pour.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 12:26 PM

Not trying to start a conspiracy, but I have heard rumblings that this will be 1050 feet, the official elevation of Atlanta.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:20 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Not trying to start a conspiracy, but I have heard rumblings that this will be 1050 feet, the official elevation of Atlanta.
As in you heard a rumor of a re-design to make it taller? 1050 would be a new tallest...taller than BOA. I hope you're right but that seems unlikely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta