HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:41 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Market East is doing so poor this guy doesn't even know it's a commercial and office district lol. Everyday the buildings between 7th and 15th grow more empty with leases expiring. I'm hardly a MAGA but with the failing mall, every other month shootings outside of it, constant bum fights on Filbert outside the abandoned bus station, empty commercial strips of ghetto former gold stores, empty desolate streets after dark, locked train station doors because it's unsafe after 7PM. I find it comical that someone could think "jeopardizing" that is a "bad thing". Sorry, but this is probably one of the last places on the internet I'm willing to be gaslit into thinking Market East is a healthy and stable neighborhood.
It's a mixed use area as "East Market" establishes. I'm hoping for more.
Gaslit? I never said it was healthy or stable but I can still see a future without an arena
This guy? Where'd you learn to talk to people that disagree with you?

Last edited by SEFTA; Jun 13, 2024 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:00 PM

Constructive criticism is important. We all know Market East has long been the weakest link in Center City. And even though "East Market" was a fantastic start for revitalization, it's clearly not nearly enough. That corridor absolutely needs to continue to be a priority for attracting continued investment and redevelopment, especially the Disney Hole.

I do believe if implemented properly and thoughtfully, the 76ers project could really be a boon. But details are crucial, and the 76ers have a lot more work to do than just releasing glossy renderings to make sure they get it right.

That being said, it's important to keep context in mind. Office fundamentals are severely challenged in every metro area across the US, and even globally. And potential office demolition certainly isn't unique to Philly:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...fice-building/

https://www.axios.com/local/twin-cit...own-ameriprise

https://www.businessinsider.com/offi...-supply-2024-1

All these links to say: let's keep the Negadelphian spiraling in check. Many things are within Philadelphia's control to improve, but macroeconomics are not.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Jun 13, 2024 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
It's a mixed use area as Market East establishes. I'm hoping for more.
Gaslit? I never said it was healthy or stable but I can still see a future without an arena
You literally suggested that building 76 place would "jeopardize the future of the neighborghood". That's a bold statement that is FAR AWAY from reality.
Quote:
This guy? Where'd you learn to talk to people that disagree with you?
Temple? Twitter? Very unprofessional & condescending. Like you're speaking to the other members of your little club.
I was hoping I was talking with other professionals who live and work in Philadelphia, and have traveled around the country and world enough to see what actually successful mixed-use districts look like and would like the same for our own city.

Quote:
You are no more of an expert than anyone else here.
true, but I am also not dumb enough to think this is type of thing is bad. I love that the Sixers want to use Filbert as a community meeting space:

Quote:
Your exaggerations and hyperbola don't impress me.
I won't be going back and forth with you, as I know you like that.
That's fine if you don't actually want to have a conversation about the topic. I find saying that there is a "growing neighborhood in jeopardy" if 76 Place is built to be more than hyperbole. It's a lie. The neighborhood's in much more jeopardy if the mall stays half empty and goes bankrupt again.

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Jun 13, 2024 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:36 PM

Quote:
I find saying that there is a "growing neighborhood in jeopardy" if 76 Place is built to be more than hyperbola.
Not sure what conic section equations have to do with it...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Not sure what conic section equations have to do with it...
Been trying to think of a witty geometry related come back and I got nothing. All I know is that my opinion runs perpendicular from some other posters on the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Mostly agree about Market East, especially because it's a main corridor that visitors naturally frequent, not a little side street.
Maybe it's because I've worked for a NY company for so many years, but I can't be the only person who has known NUMEROUS people come down to Philly for something at the convention center and stay right in Market East and come away with the impression that.. Philly is kind of a dump. So so so many people have said shit like that to me over the years. I go "did you go to reading terminal?" "yeah, but there's like a crazy homeless in Philly isn't there?" Market East leaves such a poor impression. I get it, the arena is not some people's preferred venue, but guess what? There is no other real alternative that has ever been presented. I was glad to see Crossing Broad take a real swipe at the idiotic reporting going on at the Inquirer over this topic.

Instead of a Basketball Arena, Let's Build a Market Street "Welcoming District" that No One Can Pay For

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Market East is doing so poor this guy doesn't even know it's a commercial and office district lol. Everyday the buildings between 7th and 15th grow more empty with leases expiring. I'm hardly a MAGA but with the failing mall, every other month shootings outside of it, constant bum fights on Filbert outside the abandoned bus station, empty commercial strips of ghetto former gold stores, empty desolate streets after dark, locked train station doors because it's unsafe after 7PM. I find it comical that someone could think "jeopardizing" that is a "bad thing". Sorry, but this is probably one of the last places on the internet I'm willing to be gaslit into thinking Market East is a healthy and stable neighborhood.
This is a pretty embarrassing take. You can’t just make shit up and call it a day.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
This is a pretty embarrassing take. You can’t just make shit up and call it a day.
Respectfully, nothing in this statement is in anyway made up. I lived in East Market, and walked the neighborhood daily, from 2018 – 2022, and eventually moved because the area became so deteriorated:

the buildings grow more empty with leases expiringFACT. Anyone who has spent any time on Filbert - Chestnut Streets, and 8th - 13th Streets, can attest to the high commercial vacancy rate.

the failing mallFACT. The Fashion District is a shell, barely half-leased, and PREIT has gone into bankruptcy (partially) as a result of it. That’s a pretty objective failure.

every other month shootingsExaggeration. I do not have facts and figures on shootings, but my lived experience confirms gunshots are a regular occurrence here. Of course, we all know not every discharged firearm is reported and duly investigated in this City.

constant bum fights on FilbertFACT. The 1000 block of Filbert Street is a de facto homeless encampment where tweakers and zombies abound.

empty commercial strips of ghetto former gold storesFACT. This exists on the eastside of 11th Street between Chestnut and Ludlow Streets, and on the southside of Market Street between 9th and 11th Streets.

locked train station doors after 7PMFACT. Good luck finding the one, revolving entrance to Jefferson Station that stays open between 7:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
every other month shootingsExaggeration. I do not have facts and figures on shootings, but my lived experience confirms gunshots are a regular occurrence here. Of course, we all know not every discharged firearm is reported and duly investigated in this City.
thank you for providing some more firsthand knowledge. I was exaggerating on the violent crime point, but there’s been some really bad things happen this past year like the DJ being killed after the Phillies playoff game and the guy serving cheesesteaks being killed. I love Philadelphia and personally believe that the sky is the limit and it’s very much a “build it and they will come” type of place. Until some better alternative is proposed I’m all in on 76 Place.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
thank you for providing some more firsthand knowledge. I was exaggerating on the violent crime point, but there’s been some really bad things happen this past year like the DJ being killed after the Phillies playoff game and the guy serving cheesesteaks being killed. I love Philadelphia and personally believe that the sky is the limit and it’s very much a “build it and they will come” type of place. Until some better alternative is proposed I’m all in on 76 Place.
The cheesesteak place incident was Old City, not Market East, and it was the type of idiotic testosterone display leading to manslaughter that can just as easily have happened in the burbs or any neighborhood in the city, not to mention that the perpetrator was a tourist. The DJ incident happened literally in the middle of Chinatown. Odd that you pick out two killings that did not happen in Market East to bemoan the fact that Market East is rife with violence.

Again, we all agree Market East is a problem. I'm unconvinced both that the arena will solve what ails it or on the other hand that it will somehow kill Chinatown. I think it's possible to have a well done arena at this location that truly is a boon to the city, and honestly if I had to pick a side I'd probably be pro-arena, but my faith in the Sixers ownership group to deliver on that potential is not terribly high.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
No it's totally dead. They pulled permits in 2019 for it but haven't had anything since besides a bunch of trash violations from the city. If you live nearby, keep submitting the trash issues to 311 and Mark Squilla. The hope now is to force the property owner to sell it or develop it. I believe it was the same owner as Asian Bank who just opened a new bank at 7th and Passyunk by Royal Tavern but I'm not positive.

old permit: https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-396698.pdf

And the Midwood project at 9th and Washington is stalled as well. I think that one will probably start up once they finish their 12th and Locust tower and interest rates decline. It looks awful right now and displaced Anastasi Seafood.
1100 E Passyunk was sold after those designs/permits were made. Latest sale was in Oct 2020 to an LLC with the mailing address of a Cardiologist office at 18th and Oregon.

The Asian Bank spot is just straight up owned by Asian Bank, bought that at sheriff sale.

I would image 1100 EPA dead until rates improve.. was sold for 2.85 mil cash.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals