HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Anybody reading / consuming ROC media could be excused for believing that Montreal is Canada's 4th biggest / important city. Certainly, when I was living in BC and Alberta (2003-2012), many people thought I came from the backcountry or something. Not all of course.

In general, I find Canadians to be very aloof concerning details about Canadian facts. I don't particularly care, but it has put me in a couple awkward situations with a couple ROC people. Like, nothing bores me more than having to defend the claim that Montreal is the second most-populated city of the country with someone from Kamloops whilst trying to enjoy myself in a hostel in Colombia.

It's not limited to idiots either, I was put into the embarrassing position of having to convince a PhD student from Toronto in urban planning last year that Montreal was a city of 4 million. She didn't believe me until she looked it up herself on the internet after a surprisingly acrimonious debate that would make the most hard-core SSP troll raise an eyebrow. Its like I said: people don't know, and people don't care. And people don't care that they don't know. All those in the world that do care, are reading this thread right now.

Of course, the reverse is true for many Quebecers (especially those who live in small towns), many of who have silly and antiquated notions about the ROC.
I say this all the time on here but I always get shot down.

Canadians have a below average level of knowledge about their own country. Probably because they devote too much time to circus-like media coverage of stuff from the U.S. like Trump.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:58 AM

The new welcome signs in Timmins. You know we are a mining city when behind the sign on the right side you can see a bunch of stacks of core samples.

The welcome signs replaced these ones:

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 5:06 AM

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 11:32 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I don't know what to make of that hand.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 11:35 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahhigh View Post
i don't know what to make of that hand.
"AND another thing!!!"

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:23 PM

I can't raise the middle one, I only have four fingers!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 12:54 AM
I am a typical

Why doesn't the rest of Canada have St-Hubert? Swiss Chalet can't be expected to carry the whole burden! That's unfair to them!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Why doesn't the rest of Canada have St-Hubert? Swiss Chalet can't be expected to carry the whole burden! That's unfair to them!
I remember their coming and going in K-W, years ago. I never really understood why they didn't catch on, although it seems to me that Swiss Chalet had better locations. In terms of the food, I've never thought there was much difference between them, re

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 3:16 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Swiss Chalet was Keg-level of kinda fancy here when I was growing up, probably a step above. White table cloths, waitresses in attached uniforms, a fountain/fireplace, etc. When I moved to Winnipeg and it was a Boston Pizza type place with optional take out, I was shocked. When I moved home, it was cheap here too.

I hate those in between places. Unless you're at an interesting usually local level, it might as well be Wendy's. Which is fine, I love Wendy's. But the faux step above that and below dinner places shouldn't exist lol

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Swiss Chalet was Keg-level of kinda fancy here when I was growing up, probably a step above. White table cloths, waitresses in attached uniforms, a fountain/fireplace, etc. When I moved to Winnipeg and it was a Boston Pizza type place with optional take out, I was shocked. When I moved home, it was cheap here too.

I hate those in between places. Unless you're at an interesting usually local level, it might as well be Wendy's. Which is fine, I love Wendy's. But the faux step above that and below dinner places shouldn't exist lol
I'm not sure if it's fast-casual restaurants or casual dining restaurants, or both, that cause you distress but together they represent a huge chunk of the Canadian eating out experience. Come to think of it, there's even a less common type of restaurant that's between the two categories, where you order at the counter but then have table service - Nando's uses this model and I've seen it upon occasion at Indian and Chinese places.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 4:26 AM
I am the law!

Table service in fast food is what the biggest chain of them all sees as the future.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 12:47 PM

Yeah, McDonald's seems to be moving towards that, though very slowly and haphazardly (some locations have had it since 2015, plenty still don't as of now, and there doesn't seem to be any geographic factor involved).

They are probably leaving it to the franchise owners to decide whether or not they want to offer that at this point. I suppose if the "pilot project" works as they want, they might eventually force all locations to do it.

And now that I think about it, since 2015 I believe they have been moving away from table service -- the locations that got the cashier-less order stations more recently don't seem to have the little round emitting beacons the early ones had anymore, and instead for eat-in they have you wait near the counter and pick up your tray yourself.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 2:02 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Come to think of it, there's even a less common type of restaurant that's between the two categories, where you order at the counter but then have table service - Nando's uses this model and I've seen it upon occasion at Indian and Chinese places.
The St-Hubert in Fredericton does that.

The first time they were here in the 80s-90s, they were a sit down place with waiters. Not sure if the whole chain switched over at some point (they only came back 5-6 years ago) or if Fredericton is just weird.

Anyway, after the first St-Hubert closed around ~1996, Swiss Chalet popped up in the same building weeks later, and rumour has it nobody noticed the difference.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 2:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
The St-Hubert in Fredericton does that.

The first time they were here in the 80s-90s, they were a sit down place with waiters. Not sure if the whole chain switched over at some point (they only came back 5-6 years ago) or if Fredericton is just weird.

Anyway, after the first St-Hubert closed around ~1996, Swiss Chalet popped up in the same building weeks later, and rumour has it nobody noticed the difference.
St-Hubert has a "St-Hubert Express" variant which is what this sounds like. And they also have the traditional sit-down restaurants which offer full table servicve.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 3:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

vintage

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 10:57 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
just for Harls (if he still checks out the Canada forum):

cdn

Mrs. Grinch's pubic hair

Once you see the tuft, you can't unsee it.

Big Red Weekend. Sounds like a bloodbath. Or a menstrual cycle.

(savelikescrooge.com)

wtf.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:26 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
The new welcome signs in Timmins. You know we are a mining city when behind the sign on the right side you can see a bunch of stacks of core samples.

The welcome signs replaced these ones:
The sign is so well bolted to the concrete, you can see the bolts a mile away.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Some people like that level of service, it's just a little less likely to cause morbid obesity when you actually go through a little trouble to dine instead of just having a quick fill up. BC has a really good example of this, The White Spot restaurant, rarely found anywhere else. Plus you can drink too.

There used to be a chicken on the logo but its gone now.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:52 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Some people like that level of service, it's just a little less likely to cause morbid obesity when you actually go through a little trouble to dine instead of just having a quick fill up. BC has a really good example of this, The White Spot restaurant, rarely found anywhere else. Plus you can drink too.

There used to be a chicken on the logo but its gone now.

This. Casual dining places are awesome. You can sit down and make an event of a meal rather than just scarfing through it but also without paying $40 for it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:11 AM

Bold play by Goderich

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada