HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I'm sure with Brandt's recent expansion announcement, they could afford to not profit from a piece of our park they have been gifted by their friends in government. Sorry CNIB, find a new home.
I normally drive past that location regularly, however, I haven't in recent months.

Have they even done any work to fill in that hole or fix up the site? I can't remember seeing anything done since they put up that temporary fence.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
I normally drive past that location regularly, however, I haven't in recent months.

Have they even done any work to fill in that hole or fix up the site? I can't remember seeing anything done since they put up that temporary fence.
Nope, it still sits there with a hole and a field of weeds. Great stalwarts of the community Brandt is.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 5:07 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post

From CBC today:

"The City of Regina has given Brandt Construction until the end of the month to fill in and clean up the site of the former CNIB building in Regina's Wascana Park."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...site-1.6061371

I'm sure they will be asking for another extension after all this rain we are presently receiving

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Nope, it still sits there with a hole and a field of weeds. Great stalwarts of the community Brandt is.
I suppose you should give them a break. It must be difficult for Brandt to find some heavy equipment to truck in some fill and dump it in a hole.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:38 AM

To be fair, if everyone shat all over my project I'd probably drag my feet too. That said, Brandt should give up on this project and building on their land downtown.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
To be fair, if everyone shat all over my project I'd probably drag my feet too. That said, Brandt should give up on this project and building on their land downtown.
Hopefully where is there land downtown

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Hopefully where is there land downtown
1800 Block Rose Street.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
1800 Block Rose Street.
Thank you ,was there not a tower proposed there years ago I wonder if an Arena would fit on those lands

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Thank you ,was there not a tower proposed there years ago I wonder if an Arena would fit on those lands
That's correct. Back in 2014, Brandt had proposed to build a 16-storey / 437,000 sq ft on that property. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your second question.

Did you use to post on SSP a few years ago, under the name 'thefourthtower' ?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 8:04 PM

Regarding the Rose Street Tower, can’t believe it’s been 10 years since it was proposed…

https://reginaurbanecology.wordpress...ower-revealed/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 10:36 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Really sad that the Rose Street tower never came to fruition.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 12:40 AM

It's SGI's fault for not going ahead with their project.

Hopefully management across the city does the right thing and forces workers back into the office and nips this WFH in the bud real quick.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 1:13 AM

Quote:

Hopefully management across the city does the right thing and forces workers back into the office and nips this WFH in the bud real quick.
Why would that be a good thing? There are certainly some jobs that can only be done in person...but if a job can be done remotely (and proven to be so), then that only saves everyone money (less office space needed, less overhead costs for companies/crowns, etc). I think for the office space that is required it makes sense to have government/crown space downtown...but if it's not required, then there is no point in forcing it for no reason. It would be like just doubling everyone's office/cubicle size to increase the footprint and therefore rent more space—sure that money is injected in downtown construction, but it's a waste that serves no purpose. WFH is (I think) a permanent perk for many places in the future. Not 100% for everyone (or even many), but the flex option will be there. And even if everyone has 40% WFH flex time, that means a potential reduction in office space as permanent offices can be transformed into shared/rotated landing space/offices.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 1:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:

That's a pretty idiotic and uninformed thing to say. My experience has been productivity goes up for those who are able to do their job at home. That's all that should matter. Let the workers decide what they want to do.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 2:13 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty idiotic and uninformed thing to say. My experience has been productivity goes up for those who are able to do their job at home. That's all that should matter. Let the workers decide what they want to do.
The claims of productivity are complete fantasy and you know it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 2:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The claims of productivity are complete fantasy and you know it.
You have no idea what you are talking about. You have officially lost all credibility with me. I’ve worked on a three different teams with two different Crowns (one provincial and one federal) during the pandemic and not only did I see it for myself but managers and project managers also admitted as much (oh, and the VP of IT of the federal Crown I currently work for - I guess he’s lying to us?). I don’t know what kind of drugs you’re on or what era of the past your brain is stuck in but you are absolutely wrong.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 3:32 PM

I've never seen any real data to support WFH being productive. Maybe in some tech industries, but for the absolute majority: productivity drops.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I've never seen any real data to support WFH being productive. Maybe in some tech industries, but for the absolute majority: productivity drops.
And you’ve seen data to support the opposite? I’d like to see that. Maybe you should think why you haven’t see any data being released about the productivity gains those of us on the inside are seeing. Perhaps it’s because companies want people in the office for reasons beyond productivity. Perhaps you are only talking to managers who miss the control they had which justifies much of their own jobs.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 5:50 PM

Come on people, no reason to get so defensive! It’s possible to have a discussion (even a disagreement) without jumping down each other’s throats. There are pros and cons to anything. I have more distractions when I work from home, but I tend to work longer hours so it balances out when it comes to productivity, but sucks for my personal well-being. I don’t think there’s a clear answer. It depends highly on the type of work, how much collaboration is needed, the individuals, and their home situations. Productivity may increase initially and decrease over time. Individual productivity sometimes goes up while overall company productivity decreases. It’s not for everyone. Some people struggle with work life balance when they’re working from home. https://www.apollotechnical.com/work...ty-statistics/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. You have officially lost all credibility with me. I’ve worked on a three different teams with two different Crowns (one provincial and one federal) during the pandemic and not only did I see it for myself but managers and project managers also admitted as much (oh, and the VP of IT of the federal Crown I currently work for - I guess he’s lying to us?). I don’t know what kind of drugs you’re on or what era of the past your brain is stuck in but you are absolutely wrong.
Yes. They're lying to you. The only reason corporations are lying about productivity is because they want to reduce their rental commitments.

The only claims of gains may be select jobs where people commute 4 hours a day. I have seen the first hand examples of productivity reduction and outright laziness that WFH produces. People think they're productive, but they are not.

Plus people know each other from in the office, as new employees come online the productivity drops even further as team work is essentially non-existent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan