HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It’s all beers and SUVs with this guy. The best combination! Make life more affordable for drivers and alcoholics.
Doug Ford just wants to make life easier for Ford Nation...you know 'the folks'.

He seems to just be the ultimate non deep thinker. I am the same age as him and went to HS in Toronto at the same time etc and its unbelievable that a guy of such seemingly low intellect got to where he is in life...unless of course he is in the pockets of many people

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Either way, seems scandalous when the province could have waited until the agreement was up for renewal in 2025 to avoid shelling out $225M.
Again, is there confirmation that this is a termination fee or a transitional program to avoid the sudden closures of hundreds of beer stores. The government says it is the latter, people here say it was the former but don’t seem to have any confirmation.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 9:32 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I think I read in the CTV article that it will be available in 'some' stores. So dumb.

I guess the big chains like Circle K will pay the bribe money and be one of the sole providers. Just like how I can buy beer at Loblaws but not the god damned Metro across the street from my house. Smaller format store perhaps? What if I just want a 6-pack of Bud.

I miss being in Europe already reading this horseshit. I'm walking about Lisbon old town... and I just want a single pint to keep me happy. I can pop into any store and grab a cold beer... pay twice the price and have a giant shit eating grin on my face.

Canada needs to chill out with this monopoly nonsense. Neoliberal shithole country it seems.

-rant over

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Again, is there confirmation that this is a termination fee or a transitional program to avoid the sudden closures of hundreds of beer stores. The government says it is the latter, people here say it was the former but don’t seem to have any confirmation.
It's to break the contract 1.5 years later. Beer Store might use it to stay open. Both aren't mutually exclusive. Point is, this was no necessary. Priorities are WAY out of whack with these morons.

They will continue to be the Province's distributer.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
They will continue to be the Province's distributer.
That's totally predictable since Molson, Labatt (Imbev) & Sleemans already use Brewer's Retail as their distribution (they own it), no sense in rebuilding a new distribution model
However, I think the Craft brewers will gain much better access by bypassing Brewer's Retail, assuming they can do so, and sell direct to your local Quickie

I wonder how bottle/can collection will work once Beer Store is gone. In Quebec, its a little madness at the Dépanneurs

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
That's totally predictable since Molson, Labatt (Imbev) & Sleemans already use Brewer's Retail as their distribution (they own it), no sense in rebuilding a new distribution model
However, I think the Craft brewers will gain much better access by bypassing Brewer's Retail, assuming they can do so, and sell direct to your local Quickie

I wonder how bottle/can collection will work once Beer Store is gone. In Quebec, its a little madness at the Dépanneurs
It's actually not that bad, due to the sheer number of places where you can return your empty beer bottles. Though of course that system has been in place for five decades so it's had time to evolve and mature.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post

Seems unlikely craft beers will be the beverage of choice at Quickies. Much more likely the big guys make splashy marketing pushes to lock up that market. Anyway the idea a quickie is going to sell less mainstream beer than a beer store or LCBO or supermarket seems suspect to say the least. This is a lifeline to convenience stores and nothing more. Will be nice for the kids who have an established repuation at their neighbourhood store too as they will be able to buy beer.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Seems unlikely craft beers will be the beverage of choice at Quickies. Much more likely the big guys make splashy marketing pushes to lock up that market. Anyway the idea a quickie is going to sell less mainstream beer than a beer store or LCBO or supermarket seems suspect to say the least. This is a lifeline to convenience stores and nothing more. Will be nice for the kids who have an established repuation at their neighbourhood store too as they will be able to buy beer.
Completely agree. Putting craft beer in convenience stores is going to be more expensive for the craft brewers, not less. There may be the odd store that makes beer their thing and keeps a big selection of craft beers, but if you look at Quebec, essentially no convenience stores or supermarkets have as big a selection as the Beer Store/LCBO.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 3:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Completely agree. Putting craft beer in convenience stores is going to be more expensive for the craft brewers, not less. There may be the odd store that makes beer their thing and keeps a big selection of craft beers, but if you look at Quebec, essentially no convenience stores or supermarkets have as big a selection as the Beer Store/LCBO.
To be honest, your average dépanneur in Québec has virtually no microbrews, unless you count Unibroue, Belle Gueule or Boréale as microbrews.

With the exception of "dépanneurs" like Rapido (Aylmer) or Peluso (Montreal) which are basically huge private beer stores that also sell some chips and gum.

Grocery stores like IGA and Métro generally have pretty good (true) microbrew selections in Quebec.

SAQ stores typically only have non-mainline imported beers like Pilsner Urquell from Czechia or Tsing-Tao from China in a small section.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To be honest, your average dépanneur in Québec has virtually no microbrews, unless you count Unibroue, Belle Gueule or Boréale as microbrews.

With the exception of "dépanneurs" like Rapido (Aylmer) or Peluso (Montreal) which are basically huge private beer stores that also sell some chips and gum.

Grocery stores like IGA and Métro generally have pretty good (true) microbrew selections in Quebec.

SAQ stores typically only have non-mainline imported beers like Pilsner Urquell from Czechia or Tsing-Tao from China in a small section.
Yes people project whatever gripe they have against our monopolized system and assume everything is better. I think the puritian system we have (or had as it's largely been replaced already with supermarket access etc) is ridiculousy anachronstic. But sending millions to the Brewers and giving away literally billions in value in the LCBO is negligent beyond belief. Once we have a Conservative federal government I will be voting Liberal provincially and mostly because of this kind of incomptenance.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 11:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Doug Ford's change to booze sales could cost far more than $225M
Bonnie Crombie calls deal a 'billion dollar booze boondoggle,' but government disputes her math

Mike Crawley · CBC News
Posted: May 28, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: May 28

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...yers-1.7215839

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 12:40 AM

Has there been any coherent explanation of why this had to happen now rather than closer to the expiry of the contract in 18 months time?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Has there been any coherent explanation of why this had to happen now rather than closer to the expiry of the contract in 18 months time?
One theory is he is gonna call an early election…

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
One theory is he is gonna call an early election…
I've heard that as well, but can't think of anything that would justify it.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Doug Ford's change to booze sales could cost far more than $225M
Bonnie Crombie calls deal a 'billion dollar booze boondoggle,' but government disputes her math

Mike Crawley · CBC News
Posted: May 28, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: May 28

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...yers-1.7215839
$225 Million or a $Billion, it's still incredibly idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I've heard that as well, but can't think of anything that would justify it.
Theory is he wants the Provincial elections before the Federal elections. If Cons come in at the Fed level, Libs may come in at the Provincial level.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation