HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:36 PM

Does anyone know if something might be happening to that unfortunate building at 1110 N State with the Subway and Astrology business (Ms. Devon) next to the former Hunt Club? Just saw a building permit, new construction, for interior alterations for it listed as owner occupied under the address that the Green Mill is at under the name of guy who I am assuming is the local jazz bassist with the same name considering the address is under the Green Mill and he's randomly listed on their website.. It would be cool to get some live music in that building instead..

Please tell me something is happening to this and they are being replaced with better businesses. Perhaps this is why the Hunt Club people didn't tear this building down?

Last edited by marothisu; May 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
In other State Street news, I noticed there's a new rendering up - linked to below - of a 'stabilized' Block 37 retail component, with the classic generic or thinly veiled 'specific' retailer signage. These often - but not always - give meaningful clues as to which tenants the owner/developer is going after or even in negotiations with (or in the case of the movie theater - although it doesn't state AMC which is strange - 'Spotlight' could either be a placeholder or an upscale brand AMC has or will be unveiling here - and Richard Sandoval's dining venues, even actual signed leases). AllSaints is at least a target of CIM Group. It looks like they are going after a large entertainment tenant for a significant remaining portion of the 3rd floor - a smart, (well, maybe even 'no-brainer') move - in the form of an upscale bowling alley/lounge type tenant. I can't read what the sign beyond 'Total Saints' states.....could be gibberish, or maybe somewhat has better eyesight that can make it out.

http://www.block37.com/info/leasing

The banner beyond reads "SUNGSAM."

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:45 PM

Sounds like Uptown Update (aka Cappleman) are pushing workshops to determine the fate of the old Stewart School building in Uptown. It's an attractive building in a difficult area but as nice a housing conversion sounds, I fear a tear down/strip mall is the most likely scenario. NIMBYism is strong in this neighborhood and numerous much hyped housing developement have failed to get off the ground despite momentum elsewhere in the city.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:18 PM

CVS in Sears seems like a big fat waste. Obviously they're going to try to make some kind of fancy multi-floor signature store to prove that they can make fancy things too, but just a few blocks away from the fancy multi-floor signature Walgreens? That doesn't seem tenable. A downtown area can only support so many Walgreens/CVS stores.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Advocate Illinois Masonic Expansion, near Sheffield and Wellington

Looking Northeast

From Barry & Wilton

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:00 PM

That's a nice brick they are using, too bad they are making a new superblock out of that site. Much better than the happy brick we've seen all over town though.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
That's a nice brick they are using, too bad they are making a new superblock out of that site. Much better than the happy brick we've seen all over town though.
Well, it was a superparking lot for years, probably the largest lot in Lakeview/LP, and I live across the street from it, so I can't complain.

One interesting fact: During design, they forgot to include space for an entire department. Apparently, they now have nowhere to put 12 admin employees. Ha, guess they'll have to go right into Phase2 (10-story highrise)

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:10 PM

Franklin/Chestnut

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:31 PM

^^^ Oooo, me likey!

Also, LOL @ them not space planning for an entire department. How on earth do you make a mistake like that??? Usually you build at least X% extra space for short term expansion potential anyhow. How did they not even include a small amount of extra space that could absorb 12 employees? That's only like 2,400 SF of space at most if they are in cubes...

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
^^^ Oooo, me likey!

Also, LOL @ them not space planning for an entire department. How on earth do you make a mistake like that??? Usually you build at least X% extra space for short term expansion potential anyhow. How did they not even include a small amount of extra space that could absorb 12 employees? That's only like 2,400 SF of space at most if they are in cubes...
Reminds me of an old Carol Burnet skit where Harvey Corman (sp?) was an architect who designed and built an entire highrise, but forgot to include bathrooms anywhere in the building.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 10:48 PM

Great update Jibba! Looks good!

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:49 AM
TL;DR

Since when have residents ever gone to community meetings to request strip malls? I know Uptown is desperate for retail but I've gotta imagine that the community will request housing at Stewart, and definitely request preservation of the old building. I wish they would re-open that street though... no more precious little snowflakes to protect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Sounds like Uptown Update (aka Cappleman) are pushing workshops to determine the fate of the old Stewart School building in Uptown. It's an attractive building in a difficult area but as nice a housing conversion sounds, I fear a tear down/strip mall is the most likely scenario. NIMBYism is strong in this neighborhood and numerous much hyped housing developement have failed to get off the ground despite momentum elsewhere in the city.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Sure it qualifies, but that doesn't mean the developer won't build the spaces. It's a reduced minimum, not a cap.
Quote:
It doesn't qualify because it's more than 600' from the train stop door to door. If this were a P-street it would.
Ugh, all of this makes me sick. Minimum parking ratios are so obviously horrible.

ETA that Franklin and Chestnut development is pretty sick.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:52 AM

Franklin & Chestnut

More of this all around the city please....Not everything has to be a high-rise.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Wow that's quite pessimistic. Usually people don't have community workshops to simply tear down and build a strip mall.

By the way, what is truly holding back Uptown is that it doesn't have a "main drag" like other successful hoods (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc). Boneheaded decisions to allow so many auto-oriented businesses on Broadway pretty much sealed its fate.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Since when have residents ever gone to community meetings to request strip malls? I know Uptown is desperate for retail but I've gotta imagine that the community will request housing at Stewart, and definitely request preservation of the old building. I wish they would re-open that street though... no more precious little snowflakes to protect.

I've seen it.

Lakewood/Balmoral residents pushed hard for a strip mall on the Pizer site (and won) and Uptown residents are largely over-the-moon about a Sonic (which isn't a strip mall but is just as ugly).

If the northern parcel isn't developed in a suburban/auto-centric fashion, I'd be shocked.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon07 View Post
More of this all around the city please....Not everything has to be a high-rise.
I totally agree. This one is starting to look really good. I would love to see more of these types of developments around

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:42 PM
The City

Quote:
I've seen it.

Lakewood/Balmoral residents pushed hard for a strip mall on the Pizer site (and won) and Uptown residents are largely over-the-moon about a Sonic (which isn't a strip mall but is just as ugly).

If the northern parcel isn't developed in a suburban/auto-centric fashion, I'd be shocked.
I know what you are talking about, but I still think you are a bit too pessimistic. The community rejected a residential development there a few years ago I heard, so by all means I agree that they are typical bone-headed NIMBYs. But they also demanded that the strip mall being built has a pedestrian-friendly design that addresses the sidewalk:

Pizer Funeral Home Tear Down Begins, Demolition Rumors About Strip Mall Across Street
By Daniel Zagotta | Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Quote:
The Pizer funeral home which has been vacant for over a decade finally meets its demise. Green barricades have been set up for the planned tear down that could happen as soon as this week. All glass windows have been removed from the structures and crews have been working to prep for the demolition.

The plan is to build a strip mall that meets standards set forth by the alderman’s office and community members. This will include a one story structure with no alley access and parking behind the complex away from the street. Talks are supposedly in the works with Chipolte but no official word has been given. Word is there is a search for an anchor tenant for the mall.

Now, rumors have been flying about a possible tear down of the mall across the street (which is owned by the same company as the Pizer property) as well. The mall currently houses several tenants including Murray’s Auto parts, a PNC Bank and one of the Buzz’s favorite eateries Pizzeria Aroma. There has been no confirmation on this, but it would not happen anytime soon if it were the case. Some say it could be a new prospect tear down for the CTA red line reconstruction or a new retail/housing development.

Though few community members have expressed excitement for another strip mall, most are still interested to see which corporations and small businesses the landlord can attract.
The tone here suggests that most of the community, at least, is not particularly excited about strip malls. Besides, strip malls are going to be built in Chicago. They've been getting built since the early 20th century, but the key here is to emphasize a design more similar to the earlier strip malls (storefronts along the sidewalk) than the crap built in the latter half of the 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:04 PM

IrishPirate's post in Uptown Update essentially summarizes the individuals who will attend this meeting. People who have attended the latest meetings have been complaining about the lack of new affordable housing developments and I would not be surprised if someone proposes turning the school into an SRO. Also, condo owners will complain that a new development will "deteriorate" the value of their homes and push for a new park, similar to the Montrose/Clarendon meetings.

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2014/05/...l#comment-form

Note: One person even proposed a big box retailer!

In reality, the school should be torn down and a dense development with a pocket park should go in its place. The lot will be directly across a brand new CTA entrance. However, that will never happen due to the vocal minority against new market rate housing, especially a dense development that might threaten street parking. Common sense would say otherwise given the prime location across the Wilson Ave red line station and the numerous bus routes, but backwards residents believe everyone naturally wants to drive everywhere.

Sadly, Uptown will never truly develop as long that people are left to their own devices.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:46 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
IrishPirate's post in Uptown Update essentially summarizes the individuals who will attend this meeting. People who have attended the latest meetings have been complaining about the lack of new affordable housing developments and I would not be surprised if someone proposes turning the school into an SRO. Also, condo owners will complain that a new development will "deteriorate" the value of their homes and push for a new park, similar to the Montrose/Clarendon meetings.

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2014/05/...l#comment-form

Note: One person even proposed a big box retailer!

In reality, the school should be torn down and a dense development with a pocket park should go in its place. The lot will be directly across a brand new CTA entrance. However, that will never happen due to the vocal minority against new market rate housing, especially a dense development that might threaten street parking. Common sense would say otherwise given the prime location across the Wilson Ave red line station and the numerous bus routes, but backwards residents believe everyone naturally wants to drive everywhere.

Sadly, Uptown will never truly develop as long that people are left to their own devices.
I also think tearing the school down would be the best option and replacing it with something dense and fronting the street. Also a big box retailer is already literally across the street couldn't imagine what other retailer would fit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development