HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Hey - somebody wake me when this thread gets back on topic. You know, the development of the WTC Memorial & Transit Hub. Pics, timelines, rumors....
are they doing more Trees this year or 2013?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 11:40 PM

Great news everyone!!!

Quote:

From the PANYNJ WTC Progress Report, October 2012:

A Bird Takes Flight at the World Trade Center

October 2012

At the heart of the World Trade Center (WTC) site is the Transportation Hub, a massive transit project with obvious practical importance for the region’s transportation system. But the Transportation Hub’s symbolic architecture also adds to the global significance of the rebuilding effort at the WTC. Starting this fall, massive steel and glass pieces will begin to be erected above-grade at the future entrance to the Transportation Hub along Church Street[, called the Oculus, and this structure will begin to be visible from the street. The grand Oculus structure, designed by renowned architect Santiago Calatrava, is intended to be reminiscent of a bird in flight and will evoke feelings of freedom, when complete.

To create the iconic Oculus structure, the Port Authority of NY & NJ is working with contractors and New York City agencies to bring specially-crafted, oversized pieces through the busy streets of Lower Manhattan to the site for assembly. The oversized steel pieces that will form the wings of the Oculus structure will be barged to Red Hook, Brooklyn, and then brought to the WTC site via over 460 truck trips over the course of a few months. These massive steel pieces will range in size, reaching up to 27 feet-wide, 120 feet-long, and weighing up to 50 tons.

While impressive in design and scale, the Oculus only scratches the surface of the enormous below-grade Transportation Hub that winds through the entire WTC site and connects Battery Park City and destinations west of Route 9A/West Street to the New York City Fulton Street Transit Center and other destinations on the east side of Lower Manhattan. When complete, the WTC Transportation Hub will enhance connectivity in Lower Manhattan and the region, rivaling other iconic hubs like Grand Central Station, Penn Station, and Atlantic Terminal.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:47 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Progress on the transit hub 10/9/12:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:16 PM

^^^ And a larger version:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
New Yorker for life

I'll be glad when this is finally open. It will mean a lot to Downtown and transit connections to finally have this concourse restored.

www.onewtc.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 5:12 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Like Penn Station, only much better.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 11:27 AM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2012/1...ancial-center/

Brookfield to Rename World Financial Center

By Daniel Geiger 10/18/12

Quote:
Brookfield Properties will rename the eight million-square-foot office complex it owns in Lower Manhattan several sources familiar with the company’s plans say. What is known currently as the World Financial Center will become Brookfield Place under the plan, in what appears to be an effort to distance the property’s image as a home predominantly for financial tenants at a time when leasing demand from that sector has been weak.

“It’s not going to happen overnight,” one person briefed on the plan said. “But Brookfield plans to phase in the new name increasingly over time.” The four buildings, known as One through Four World Financial Center, will be referred to individually by their street addresses going forward, 200 and 225 Liberty Street and 200 and 250 Vesey Street.

Although the World Financial Center is considered one of Downtown’s highest quality offerings, it is facing increased competition, including from the millions of square feet of office space being built just across West Street at the World Trade Center site. Brookfield has made efforts to increase the desirability of the World Financial Center, investing over $250 million to overhaul the property’s 200,000 square feet of retail space and build a connection in the Winter Garden that will connect to the subterranean pedestrian corridor running east under the World Trade Center site to the Fulton Street subway station.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 1:24 PM

Errr? Seems kind of pointless since I thought the WFC brand was a pretty good one, but maybe it has been too damaged by the aftermath of 9/11 and the financial moniker. They own the buildings, I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 4:53 PM

Pretty ironic of the current economy i suppose...

Eh, I will still call it the world financial center as long as i live

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 9:46 PM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Pretty amazing story Special Forces Soldiers Unveil Statue Honoring Their Service and modern twist on the old soldier & horse statues you see from the centuries ago.

Michael Appleton for The New York Times

Bebeto Matthews/Associated Press

Anyone take or can find better pics of the SpecOps 'Horse Soldier' dedicated today please post!

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 12:08 AM

WTC / National 9-11 Memorial Ice Build-Up In North & South Pools (Dec, 2011)

This Is A year old but thought this would be interesting to post on here since winter is now coming. I belive this is a video I shot from Dec 18, 2011. This is a video I shot of the National 9-11 Memorial Freezing Up on a very cold day in Dec of 2011. I saw this on the webcam & flipped! I hope this doesn't happen again this comiing winter. (This happened when we had the very first cold spell last year). Anyway, Are they ready for this winter? I heard it's going to be a rough winter here in NY. - Greg, IntoTheLens827.

MY VIDEO LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImdP-Uafcpk

Video Link

PS. How do you get the youtube thing to work on here? I can't seem to get it working right now :-(

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:15 AM

When will they start on the memorial again?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 2:51 PM
World Machine

I understand the rationale, however it'll always be the WFC in my book.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I understand the rationale, however it'll always be the WFC in my book.
Same here

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheLens827 View Post
This Is A year old but thought this would be interesting to post on here since winter is now coming. I belive this is a video I shot from Dec 18, 2011. This is a video I shot of the National 9-11 Memorial Freezing Up on a very cold day in Dec of 2011. I saw this on the webcam & flipped! I hope this doesn't happen again this comiing winter. (This happened when we had the very first cold spell last year). Anyway, Are they ready for this winter? I heard it's going to be a rough winter here in NY. - Greg, IntoTheLens827.

MY VIDEO LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImdP-Uafcpk
PS. How do you get the youtube thing to work on here? I can't seem to get it working right now :-(

Video Link

again...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:19 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat97 View Post

Video Link

again...
It looks to me like that is a thin piece of top ice that is less than an inch thick that is just resting on top of the moving water underneath. I don't think NYC had any extremely cold days all of last winter, so maybe the entire basin will be frozen over the first 0 fahrenheit day that comes along.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 7:03 PM

Did they resume construction on the museum yet?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 11:01 PM

^^^ No, unless we've all missed something. only changes visible look more related to street prepping next door.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 11:21 PM

Has anyone noticed the light posts at the memorial are the same scale as the old towers? Like miniature WTC towers.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kurt View Post
Has anyone noticed the light posts at the memorial are the same scale as the old towers? Like miniature WTC towers.
What?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture