HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 5:15 PM
Paradise

I was about to say, they're highways, how can they be that efficient. And for the size of the city, San Antonio's is pretty good.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Efficient highway? I don't think one exist.
So you want us to be like Houston, Dallas and LA? Those cities hit 2 million (metro) somewhere in the early 80's and LA sooner than that. They have bigger highways because they are 3 to 4 (and more) times bigger than us.
Those cities are also some of the most disgusting examples of sprawl in the world. I hope you don't want us to be like them.
Bigger highways = more traffic. period.
So, in that example, small (or average) highways= less traffic? Guess what? Those cities had highway plans and thought well into the future for future expansion and city growth. If those cities are considered 'disgusting’ (which are not) what city in North America is 'nice' or ‘clean'? I would like to think places like Chicago and Dallas and Houston are great places to live. Okay, let me give you a smaller city as an example of a better more efficient highway system that was build for the future and as well as for city development into the future---Austin. Someone gave stated that our highway system has this and that and this, but then by that statement and with yours, I thought we had a big and efficient highway system?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Ahhhh, wasted genius.

Any news on the Hotel Indigo, guys? Any of you booking a stay?
Ahh. You all need to understand how to communication and not resort to insults. It proves nothing and does little for discussion. Reminds of talking to students who have certain political beliefs and (are wrong at their reason based on facts) and state openly that they do not need to research how they feel about our government and then tell each other names when they do not have any facts to back up their beliefs.

You all need to understand that I love this city, but there is love and there is truth. Facts are always going to overpower how you feel.

The new courtyard downtown is really really nice. Anyone have pictures of the inside?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
I was about to say, they're highways, how can they be that efficient. And for the size of the city, San Antonio's is pretty good.
The autobahn, first developed in Nazi Germany was the first example of an efficient highway. It is why we now have highways in America. An example that is clearly shown in area outside and around NYC and Boston; less exits and lines for certain use. The Texas highway system is marred with too many turn arounds and exits that make lines inconsistent has you drive and more likely to produce traffic accidents.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
Ahh. You all need to understand how to communication and not resort to insults. It proves nothing and does little for discussion. Reminds of talking to students who have certain political beliefs and (are wrong at their reason based on facts) and state openly that they do not need to research how they feel about our government and then tell each other names when they do not have any facts to back up their beliefs.

You all need to understand that I love this city, but there is love and there is truth. Facts are always going to overpower how you feel.

The new courtyard downtown is really really nice. Anyone have pictures of the inside?
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel...r&pageID=HWHOM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:01 PM

Quote:
From your not so well thought out complaints to your terrible spelling and grammar, I can only conclude you are either a child or foreigner. Whatever the case, you are dead wrong!SA has a very efficient highway system for its size.

I fixed your grammar I do not know what grammar you are referring to with me. As for your comment, I graduated Magna at 21 and will be walking to get my Masters in May 2010. I have also been published in four academic journals. So, I have no idea, at least to me, where that comment is coming from. Second, ad hominem. My friend, focus on the argument at hand, and do not lead your counterargument with petty insults.
I see grammatical errors, my friend. This is a forum to express one's insights, facts, and, all of the above. I'ts not intended to gear one self to win the pulitzer prize.

As for freeway infrastructure, San Antonio, has more than a adequate system. It was built to handle a population three times the size. For a metro upward of 2.2 million, it is ahead of the game, compared with other comprable population centers, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver, and, a better system than some larger metros, Phoenix and Atlanta.

Improvements due to wear and tear, new developmets, makes road construction inevitable, in any city.

As far as mass transit, San Antonio, is heading in the right direction, with new tranist leadership and a smooth people moving plan.

www.smartwaysa.org
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I see grammatical errors, my friend. This is a forum to express one's insights, facts, and, all of the above. I'ts not intended to gear one self to win the pulitzer prize.

As for freeway infrastructure, San Antonio, has more than a adequate system. It was built to handle a population three times the size. For a metro upward of 2.2 million, it is ahead of the game, compared with other comprable population centers, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver, and, a better system than some larger metros, Phoenix and Atlanta.

Improvements due to wear and tear, new developmets, makes road construction inevitable, in any city.

As far as mass transit, San Antonio, is heading in the right direction, with new tranist leadership and a smooth people moving plan.

www.smartwaysa.org
Please, by all means, point out those 'grammatical errors' as I did earlier. Give me your insight so I can learn and improve my writing abilities and express my thoughts.

I am familiar with Denver. Denver has a mass transit and the largerest airport in North America. Making a bigger highway system would be ineffective due to weather hazards year-around as with Phoenix. Travel by car outside Phoenix is dangerous. There are even signs posted to warn. With Atlanta, it is the same weather wise, only different. You have to consider what your area consist of---notice I do not use NYC as an example. They do not have a BIG highway system in the city itself. It is not needed due to the sort of travel people make. With regard to your comment on wear and tear to the highway, I never once mentioned continued construction. If that were the case, I would have never made the claim that Austin's highway system is more efficient than San Antonio. Where is it stated that the highway system in and around San Antonio was built for a metro population upward of 2.2 million (so precise) and which highway system are you referring to --all of those in Bexar?[/

Last edited by car2004; Dec 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:32 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
That's the problem, almost everything you've posted is opinion, not fact.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Okay, let me give you a smaller city as an example of a better more efficient highway system that was build for the future and as well as for city development into the future---Austin.

You're joking, right?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:35 PM

Car, are you a kid or from a foreign land? I ask in all seriousness. With every post I read from you I can't help but think you are one or the other.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:40 PM

Quote:
our highway system is not that good at all compared to other cities of the same size,
Please explain this thoroughly, comprehensively and articulately, please.

Quote:
and the city has eveything to do with what is built in and around it.
The city has little if anything to do with what is built in or around freeways. They can zone the land but that's it. You do understand how city government works, right?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Car, are you a kid or from a foreign land? I ask in all seriousness. With every post I read from you I can't help but think you are one or the other.
The comment alone suggest that you have not been reading all of my posts in the last 24 hours.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Please explain this thoroughly, comprehensively and articulately, please.

The city has little if anything to do with what is built in or around freeways. They can zone the land but that's it. You do understand how city government works, right?
I never said once it was the city's fault. Please read. I use the city of San Antonio as a point of center of which highways I am talking about.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:

You're joking, right?
Yes Sirkingwilliam(s), I am a joke. I am respected by my peers for the knowledge I have, butt yes, here, in this very thread, I am a joke. The village idiot, if you can say

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's the problem, almost everything you've posted is opinion, not fact.
I do not make opinions. I make discussions that may seem to read like an opinion because laypeople will not read just facts. Which is why Science articles are little understood. It’s funny, while everyone is discounting my arguments with ad hominum, and stating or asking if I am a kid or foreign(er), while at the same time no one seems to be pointing to facts in order to 'correct' me. Here is a source to read: http://tti.tamu.edu/

Once someone finds true states that discount what I have said, by all means...But remember, you have to compare and contrast with other sources (e.g., see, http://www.dot.state.co.us/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Please, by all means, point out those 'grammatical errors' as I did earlier. Give me your insight so I can learn and improve my writing abilities and express my thoughts.

I am familiar with Denver. Denver has a mass transit and the largerest airport in North America. Making a bigger highway system would be ineffective due to weather hazards year-around as with Phoenix. Travel by car outside Phoenix is dangerous. There are even signs posted to warn. With Atlanta, it the same weather-wise only different. You have to consider what your area consist of---notice I do not through in NYC. They do not have a BIG highway system in the city itself, not needed due to the sort of travel people make. With regard to your comment wear and tear to the highway, I never once mentioned continued construction. If that were the case, I would have never made the claim that Austin's highway is more efficient. Where is it stated that the highway system was built for a metro population upward of 2.2 million (so precise) and which highway system are you referring to --all of those in Bexar?
First off, not anyone on this forum really cares about one's grammar, or education level.

"Denver has a mass transit and the largerest airport" was that intentional? I do see a comma or two out of place, but, again, don't care.

Anyhow, I don't have a degree, I temporarily postponed my college career before hitting 60 credit hours. This forum is free for all if you have something too say.

I have been to Phoenix, Atlanta, and, their freeway infrastructure isn't all that bigger if at all, or better than San Antonio's. Phoenix' network for sure is smaller.
I just got in from NYC last night, and, I didn't see enough of it to make a good opinion.

Lastly, mentioning a city's Airport's size really has not anything to do with freeway infrastructure or this topic.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
James

Why is everything Car says wrong? All this constant belittling is frustrating me. I agree with him to a certain extent.

Our highways are great, but not that great. We do have to do quite a bit of lane switching. I still think that more work on freeways will lead to sprawl, which I don't like, but have accepted it. His comment about Austin is accurate to an extent, they have the plans for their highways, they have to crosstown freeways, two going north-south, and are working on their loop, seems efficient to me. Austin's system just isn't build out yet.

Anyway, he seems to know what he is talking about, regardless if you think he's right or not. He's not making direct opinions either, he's just stating from his experience.

Again, stop all this petty arguing, have a real discussion and try to see where he is coming from.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Why is everything Car says wrong? All this constant belittling is frustrating me. I agree with him to a certain extent.

Our highways are great, but not that great. We do have to do quite a bit of lane switching. I still think that more work on freeways will lead to sprawl, which I don't like, but have accepted it. His comment about Austin is accurate to an extent, they have the plans for their highways, they have to crosstown freeways, two going north-south, and are working on their loop, seems efficient to me. Austin's system just isn't build out yet.
Well hell in that case ours isn't either. (Wurzback Pkwy, La Cantera Pkwy, 1604 expansion, 281 expansion, etc.)

If we compared cities based on what they "may" be in the future we would only be comparing hopes.

If you compare Austin and San Antonio highway infrastructure TODAY you will see that most of San Antonio is less congested and superior in many ways.

I'm aware that Austin was able to fund mile after mile of toll road to move all those gas guzzlers to Round Rock and Pflugerville where they actually live.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Yes Sirkingwilliam(s), I am a joke. I am respected by my peers for the knowledge I have, butt yes, here, in this very thread, I am a joke. The village idiot, if you can say
I don't think it was fair for anyone to call you a joke. Your opinion is just as valid as everyone else on this forum. I don't think you should pay any attention to forum grammar. Most of us usually are not our best spellers when quickly typing a response. I am currently in college and DO NOT make it a point to correct others. We all have different education levels and too insult anyone based on that is cowardly.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
First off, not anyone on this forum really cares about one's grammar, or education level.

"Denver has a mass transit and the largerest airport" was that intentional? I do see a comma or two out of place, but, again, don't care.

Anyhow, I don't have a degree, I temporarily postponed my college career before hitting 60 credit hours. This forum is free for all if you have something too say.

I have been to Phoenix, Atlanta, and, their freeway infrastructure isn't all that bigger if at all, or better than San Antonio's. Phoenix' network for sure is smaller.
I just got in from NYC last night, and, I didn't see enough of it to make a good opinion.

Lastly, mentioning a city's Airport's size really has not anything to do with freeway infrastructure or this topic.
Mentioning of the city's airport was to show that, where it lacks (highway system) it succeeds. It is almost impossible for the city of Denver to have a mass highway system due to hazards around the geographic location and the location in itself (e.g., mountains). You are right, one’s educational status has nothing to do with this discussion, but it was not me that threw out the insults on my age and educational status. Thus, I defended myself with my current educational status and age in a civil way. In addition, my ‘grammatical errors’ (although I did make those mistakes there)were not in question in that specific comment you are correcting.

Last edited by car2004; Dec 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio