HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
The SLC library is a very nice building and a great addition to our city. To bad it is over run by the homeless and feels more like a smelly dirty camp.

I hope what ever nice Library Boise gets, does not turn into what we have.
Ahh seems like we can't escape the homeless hyperbole even on the Boise thread. FFS

The SLC library is architecturally magnificent and a great addition to the city. It is host to a number of awesome community events. It's in a great location, too. I'm very happy for Boise to get such a great architectural company to design their library.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Ahh seems like we can't escape the homeless hyperbole even on the Boise thread. FFS

The SLC library is architecturally magnificent and a great addition to the city. It is host to a number of awesome community events. It's in a great location, too. I'm very happy for Boise to get such a great architectural company to design their library.
Doesn't sound like hyperbole based on quotes directly from library employees. In my opinion, the constant pressure to quell discussion on society's ills exacerbates the problem. Maybe Boise can learn from SLC.

A wise man once said, "If you can't measure it, you can't improve it."

Quote:
And just as Salt Lake City officials are vexed by an increasing incidence of people defecating in public places, so is the Salt Lake County Library System.

"This is public service in its rawest form," Cooper said, defending the proposed addition of a custodian and an assistant manager at the West Valley City library.

"With the diverse population frequenting that (light rail) stop, we're encountering many more homelessness issues, seeing a greater need for custodial services" with blood, fecal matter, needles and used condoms being found around the site, he said. "Many times the homeless are using the restrooms for bathing."

Besides its increasing custodial needs, the library's relatively small dimensions leave it prone to overcrowding. When that happens, Cooper said, fights can break out.

"We call 911 and the police a lot," he said. "That's not in the job description of a librarian.
http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...12&itype=CMSID

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:05 PM
Closed account

Caffe Luciano's has opened on the Green Belt in Garden City by foot bridge at White Water Park. Has a nice patio, as it will be needed for the summer crowds.
The food is delicious.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:39 PM
All man. Half nuts.

found fairly recent aerial image of downtown from last spring:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:23 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...195346584.html

Outside investors are driving growth in the valley. 'It will go on for the next few years'

Quote:
There’s no doubt that Boise has tipped, says George Iliff, managing owner of Colliers International’s Boise operation.

Iliff, a leader in the Treasure Valley’s commercial real estate sector, says the idea that author Malcolm Gladwell made popular in his book “The Tipping Point” reflects what’s happening in the Treasure Valley now: Interest by outside investors is accelerating the growth of our commercial real estate market.
Quote:
“I think we’re headed down the right path,” Sawyer says from the firm’s Boise office. “We’re seeing large corporate clients from California, Texas and Florida that are looking to relocate or expand in Boise. We’re just hampered by a lack of product right now.”
Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 11:36 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

January 20|Boise River Greenbelt

The site of the soon to be Rotary Park
Approximately 1 mile downstream from 8th Street/Downtown~next to The Connector and on the Greenbelt.

The view across the River from the site of the new park.

Parkland on the opposite side of The Connector.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 12:34 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Agreed! Super rad. Thanks for pointing out the SLC library connection, that place is a sight to behold.
That library is nice but hopefully we get a more intimate classic design, something that doesn't look so clinical. I would be down for a mix of JUMP and the BSU Center for Fine Arts currently under construction. Whatever the design ends up being it should compliment the river it will be built next to.

Sunday Crane Spotting

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Jan 22, 2018 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:51 PM
Closed account

A Monday morning dream for Boise:
What the city may get in 30 years would be a mix-use building 39 stories with mix-income apartments and condos and a 20 story 314 room hotel. This surrounded by shops, restaurants and a movie theater. What Pioneer development should have been...just dreaming.

Frank Gehry Architects rendering

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:19 PM
All man. Half nuts.

I hope we don't have to wait 30 years for a 39-floor building. I'll probably be long gone by then

speaking of Pioneer Crossing, Boisedev has an update on it, including a new rendering. they actually made it worse.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
This is a great photographic perspective.
Thanks for the other pics of the upcoming park and keeping this thread fresh!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

I hope we don't have to wait 30 years for a 39-floor building. I'll probably be long gone by then

speaking of Pioneer Crossing, Boisedev has an update on it, including a new rendering. they actually made it worse.
So true about the ugly Pioneer Crossing development.
Boise has not got a building in the 30 to 40 story range, because of money, population and ( even though growing fast )the workforce and people willing to pay the prices of condos and fill a tall building . So it will take years to get the big projects with a super high rise.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:08 PM

This looks like it will be a great addition to that area of downtown. So far this year we already have some projects to look forward to with this and the others announced recently including the new hotel/parking garage on Front Street. There are still some remaining lots downtown that could give way to a new Boise sized skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
New mix-use apartment complex going on Parkcenter across the Washington Group Complex (now St. Luke's) and to the south of the Ram. It is replacing a current surface parking lot. There will be 70 units for 55+ residents and 76 market rate units. It is also planned to have 7,000 sqft of commercial space along the Boise River. The rest of the ground floor is taken up by parking. Its also interesting to note that there is a 49 parking stall easement for St. Luke's. Its a nice/needed piece of density for downtown though it's a little disappointing that there isn't more street level interaction along Parkcenter.
Don Day posted a story on it this morning:
https://boisedev.com/news/2017/12/31...t-on-park-blvd
PDS Online:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CAR17-00028

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:54 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
So true about the ugly Pioneer Crossing development.
Boise has not got a building in the 30 to 40 story range, because of money, population and ( even though growing fast )the workforce and people willing to pay the prices of condos and fill a tall building . So it will take years to get the big projects with a super high rise.

I've always looked at cities around the country that are of similar size as Boise, and compare their skylines. Some, such as Madison, have height restrictions or have gone/are going through tough economic times or population declines.

Yet, here are three cities of comparable size who have much more impressive height than Boise:

Des Moines, Iowa
City: 215,472
Metro: 634,725

Three tallest buildings:
1 – 801 Grand, 45 floors, 630 feet
2 – Ruan Center, 36 floors, 460 feet
3 – Marriott Hotel, 33 floors, 365 feet

Little Rock, Arkansas
City: 198,541
Metro: 724,385

Three tallest buildings:
1 – Simmons Tower, 40 floors, 547 feet
2 – Regions Center, 30 floors, 454 feet
3 – Bank of America, 23 floors, 375 feet

Mobile, Alabama
City: 192,904
Metro: 414,079

Three tallest buildings:
1 – RSA Battle House Tower, 35 floors, 745 feet
2 – Renaissance Riverview Hotel, 28 floors, 536 feet
3 – RSA BankTrust, 34 floors, 424 feet

kinda bums you out, eh?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 10:57 PM

^^^
I'd rather see Boise continue to fill in it's urban form with mid-rises. Taller buildings will eventually follow.

Don't forget that during this construction boom in Boise: there's a new tallest in town, hundreds of new residential units in the downtown area, hundreds of new hotel rooms, no more awful parking lot on the Grove, a new art community center (JUMP), and more attention to the West End. I'd say, Boise is doing just fine!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
^^^
I'd rather see Boise continue to fill in it's urban form with mid-rises. Taller buildings will eventually follow.
I've had this thought process lately as well. I'm also very eager to see a tall tower (or more ) get built in Boise, however, as you mentioned I also like all this fill-in. Let it get some density and it'll make a tall tower stand out that much more, imo.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:06 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaBoi View Post
This is a great photographic perspective.
Thanks for the other pics of the upcoming park and keeping this thread fresh!
Thanks! Definitely more to come as this building progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
^^^

Don't forget that during this construction boom in Boise: there's a new tallest in town, hundreds of new residential units in the downtown area, hundreds of new hotel rooms, no more awful parking lot on the Grove, a new art community center (JUMP), and more attention to the West End. I'd say, Boise is doing just fine!
This
All of the new condo buildings, apartment buildings (some still under construction), hotels and The Clearwater have collectively done more to urbanize downtown than the new tallest has, although 8th & Main is awesome and helped spur more development, but we will get more high rises in due time. People are forking out big bucks for the condos downtown and that is a great sign of what could be on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
There are still some remaining lots downtown that could give way to a new Boise sized skyscraper
The block size parking lot between Front and Grove; 10th and 11th is perfect for a new tallest imo. This lot is begging for a tower.

Even though they aren't highrises, The Fowler, 5th & Idaho, and the proposed condos at 8th & Fort are really what downtown needs to take it to the next level.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:38 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...196099589.html

Ready for another X Games, Boise?
Quote:
The Boise City Council is set to approve an agreement Tuesday for ESPN to hold an X Games qualifier at Rhodes Skate Park for the second year in a row.

Last year’s qualifier drew sellout crowds and elite competitors in skateboarding and BMX. It also drew praise from athletes and organizers alike for the skate park, which many said is one of the best in the world.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:40 PM
All man. Half nuts.

good recent article from Lonely Planet:

Quote:
Reveling in playful Boise

Tucked between rolling foothills, cast against cloudless blue skies and pierced by the cool, clear waters of the Boise River, the “City of Trees” is surrounded by frontiers that still feel untouched and untamed. The natural environs have been carefully protected to remain that way, and in turn, Boise’s outdoorsy, hands-off-the-handlebars vibe remind visitors of the backyard freedoms of childhood.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/roc...2-1479d276bf86

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
good recent article from Lonely Planet:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/roc...2-1479d276bf86
Fun read. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:39 PM

https://idahobusinessreview.com/2018...d-it-downtown/

Looking for talent? You’ll find it downtown
By: Scott Schoenherr January 25, 2018

Quote:
Technology companies like CradlePoint, Kount, Clearwater Analytics, MetaGeek and Forsta have made the commitment to be downtown. More surprisingly, major companies like Simplot, Idaho Power, Boise Cascade, NYK Lines and Packaging Corporation of America have chosen to stay in the downtown core, when moving to the suburbs would have been a cheaper option.
Quote:
I travel to urban areas around the world and, other than the major gateway cities (e.g. San Francisco), I believe Boise’s downtown core stacks up well against any I’ve seen, even Portland and Austin. In fact, last week I was in Salt Lake City touring office properties. In Salt Lake, tenants are willing to pay a substantial rent premium to be located in the core, yet, in my opinion, Downtown Salt Lake has nowhere near the vibrancy of Boise’s urban center.

Downtown Boise is becoming more walkable, bikable and livable. These will all serve to lessen the issues around parking. As we see more housing built in and around the downtown, the parking woes will lessen. A parking expert once told me “Everyone with a car has a parking problem. If you work in New York City you have a parking problem if you can’t park within five blocks of your office. If you work in Meridian, Idaho, you have a parking problem if you can’t park right in front of your office door.” Alright, if this is true, then we have a parking problem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West