HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 1:23 PM

Has Farhi actually been building stuff in Windsor? This would be a shock to someone in London as he owns so much land, makes flashy proposals and then never builds.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Has Farhi actually been building stuff in Windsor? This would be a shock to someone in London as he owns so much land, makes flashy proposals and then never builds.
He has already been building hundreds of single family homes, and is finishing up a residential multi storey all on the same property that these new developments will be built. He has also done complete renovations to several downtown hotels.

Last edited by north 42; Jan 7, 2022 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 6:06 AM

I just went by the Farhi land near the WFCU Centre and it's amazing how fast those homes and apartment buildings are going up. It's strange that he is building so much in Windsor but does nothing in London. He's totally despised in London but has a completely different reputation in Windsor.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
He has already been building hundreds of single family homes, and is finishing up a residential multi storey all on the same property that these new developments will be built. He has also done complete renovations to several downtown hotels.
He just proposed adding two more towers in that development to go along with the 3 towers already being built. The two new proposals are to line Lauzon road and be 9 stories each.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 1:30 PM

I'd love to see one of these developers come in with a proposed 30 story building.
I understand that gaining density and infill projects are the start, but man.... I'm eager to see bigger and better hahaha

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselXL View Post
I'd love to see one of these developers come in with a proposed 30 story building.
I understand that gaining density and infill projects are the start, but man.... I'm eager to see bigger and better hahaha
I’m pretty sure that eventually the empty lots on Riverside Dr. downtown will have proposals for residential of around that height, although they are all owned by Farhi, so who knows. I’m an optimist, so I still have hope

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 2:29 AM

Would really like to see this development take off. Also, why not 3 taller towers instead of 6 shorter ones?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/windsor...55de42e74/amp/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I’m pretty sure that eventually the empty lots on Riverside Dr. downtown will have proposals for residential of around that height, although they are all owned by Farhi, so who knows. I’m an optimist, so I still have hope
Yeah, I can see that happening as well (although I'm an optimist like you so I'm biased ). I do remember there being a couple of proposals a few years back for some of those properties along Riverside Dr, but nothing materialized except the Doubletree renovation to my knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter777 View Post
Would really like to see this development take off. Also, why not 3 taller towers instead of 6 shorter ones?

Yeah I haven't heard too much about either the Inspiration Tower project or the CBC project. Not sure if there are still logistics to work out with CBC as to where they will be moved too. Only thing I can think of as to why the 6 shorter towers is cost for going vertical (although I'm not in construction so take that with a grain of salt )

https://www.google.com/amp/s/windsor...55de42e74/amp/
On a smaller scale, another property at the corner of Droulliard and Richmond in Ford City is almost complete with a renovation. Really seems like that stretch of Droulliard has had a bunch of renovations going on.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...al-development

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
Yeah, I can see that happening as well (although I'm an optimist like you so I'm biased ). I do remember there being a couple of proposals a few years back for some of those properties along Riverside Dr, but nothing materialized except the Doubletree renovation to my knowledge

On a smaller scale, another property at the corner of Droulliard and Richmond in Ford City is almost complete with a renovation. Really seems like that stretch of Droulliard has had a bunch of renovations going on.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...al-development
I’m loving how Ford City is organically evolving into a really cool little retail strip full of local startups. I really like the tight streetscape and the old onion dome Orthodox churches, it creates a very intimate and historic feel that is hard to find.

The area should really take off once the old industrial lands that separate Ford City and Walkerville fill in with new residential, as has been discussed. I’m also hoping to see some movement with those mid-rise apartments and new row houses that are planned for those lands. The new ones on Walker Rd. that were recently completed look great, so I have high hopes for what’s coming.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
I’m loving how Ford City is organically evolving into a really cool little retail strip full of local startups. I really like the tight streetscape and the old onion dome Orthodox churches, it creates a very intimate and historic feel that is hard to find.

The area should really take off once the old industrial lands that separate Ford City and Walkerville fill in with new residential, as has been discussed. I’m also hoping to see some movement with those mid-rise apartments and new row houses that are planned for those lands. The new ones on Walker Rd. that were recently completed look great, so I have high hopes for what’s coming.
Agreed! That development will really transform that area. I hope to see some more of the smaller scale developments in Ford City. I'm glad they're trying to keep the brick facades on the buildings as well. Definitely some good character there

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 12:33 PM

A couple more renovations coming in from Rosati Group. The first is the House of Shalom in Amherstburg is being converted into lofts, which will be called "The Lofts at St. Anthony". Not many more details on this that I could find.

The other two are in Walkerville. The first is one that we already knew of, Distillery Square. The second is a new one though. It's the building at the northwest corner of Wyandotte St E and Devonshire Rd. Built in 1907, it was architected by Albert Kahn. It looks like they are doing a full renovation of the building and are "collaborating with Albert Kahn Associates on the vision". Looks like they already have a tenant in mind as well, as the Twisted Apron will be relocating there.

Both look like really nice renovations, and it's nice to see some of these historic buildings get repurposed

Here's their PDF newsletter from their site: https://rosatigroup.com/wp-content/u...2021_Pages.pdf

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
A couple more renovations coming in from Rosati Group. The first is the House of Shalom in Amherstburg is being converted into lofts, which will be called "The Lofts at St. Anthony". Not many more details on this that I could find.

The other two are in Walkerville. The first is one that we already knew of, Distillery Square. The second is a new one though. It's the building at the northwest corner of Wyandotte St E and Devonshire Rd. Built in 1907, it was architected by Albert Kahn. It looks like they are doing a full renovation of the building and are "collaborating with Albert Kahn Associates on the vision". Looks like they already have a tenant in mind as well, as the Twisted Apron will be relocating there.

Both look like really nice renovations, and it's nice to see some of these historic buildings get repurposed

Here's their PDF newsletter from their site: https://rosatigroup.com/wp-content/u...2021_Pages.pdf
I’ve been waiting for someone to come in and finally renovate that building at Wyandotte and Devonshire, it’s one of the last major commercial buildings in that area that hasn’t been done.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:31 PM

Quote:
I’ve been waiting for someone to come in and finally renovate that building at Wyandotte and Devonshire, it’s one of the last major commercial buildings in that area that hasn’t been done.
A little extra information in this CTV Windsor piece. The Strathcona building's renovation (the one at Wyandotte and Devonshire) looks to already be underway. They anticipate the main part of the whole Distillery Square project to start within 6 months and be completed within 3-5 years. Definitely a long time, although I'm thinking that the old rack houses being converted into residential and a hotel is what would take the longest amount of time.

Still great to see the renovation already underway!

Article: https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/new-lofts...uare-1.5735532

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 12:25 PM

Another renovation already in progress downtown. The former Enwin building (which is now home to Tessonics) at Ouellette and Elliot is in the process of being renovated. Both interior and exterior renovations are in the process of taking place.

It was announced a while ago that Tessonics would be moving here, but didn't know they were going to a reno, so that's good news!

Article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...en-in-the-core

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 1:53 PM

http://www.windsorontarionews.com/

Main page article here explaining why The Windsor Star is moving out of its current downtown building, which is being sold.

Current building owners are the ones planning the Tecumseh Mall residential development.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:24 PM
Ham-burgher

Not surprising -- the writing/editing side of the newspaper business is probably the poster child for post-pandemic work-from-home. The dailies will probably need little more than a small office to run their operations, and outsource printing or use central facilities for it. The Hamilton Spectator recently unloaded its building west of downtown, with unclear plans on next steps (COVID threw a wrench in there of course)

The unfortunate thing is this will make it all the easier for the parent media companies to consolidate. Keep the brands, print the same news stories across them, and maintain a small news bureau to cover the local stuff. Which will be unfortunate, as it will reduce the voices who speak to city issues.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:28 PM

I thought the Spec took some office space in a new build suburban office complex on the Mountain? In a much smaller space of course, as it's massive old building is absolutely no longer needed, even if mostly because of staffing cuts.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 3:03 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I thought the Spec took some office space in a new build suburban office complex on the Mountain? In a much smaller space of course, as it's massive old building is absolutely no longer needed, even if mostly because of staffing cuts.
I think you're right -- east Mountain near the RHVP/Linc

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 4:40 PM

You can already see the consolidation. The Windsor Star and London Free Press are both owned by Postmedia and you're starting to see quite a bit of duplication in those two papers.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 4:57 PM
Ham-burgher

Definitely. With Hamilton Spec news we have seen more and more Torstar stuff -- even the images are based on the Toronto site. But we also get content from the Washington Post, other US news sites... that's been good, but would we have gotten that anyway, written by a local news reporter?

Then you have the tech giants posting "news"... I fear that the era of a free and independent media is ending.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario