HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 7:57 PM

Kind of what I was thinking. I only paid if I got a ticket at the start and there was a person in the booth at the end. Chicago there was nobody at any of the toll booths right in Chicago, so that's why i just carried on. Who carries $1.10 in change with them, seriously old school.

So I guess what you're saying is next time just go through the EZ Pass booths and don't worry about anything!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
There is near zero chance that the Perimeter has six lanes north of Wilkes. Wilkes would need a complete rebuild and the geometry issues can be addressed without that. Robin is nearing the end of a major rebuild that completely replaced the bridge decking however the underpass only includes space for four through lanes. The Assinboine Bridge had a major overall recently, again only four lanes. Portage Ave overpass and CCW are also only four lanes.

Carrying the six lanes north of the McGillvary intersection and then reducing to four lanes makes the most sense for now.
Theirs room on the ccw piers for another lane in both directions

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:50 AM
Heart of the Continent

I notice that the province did something different this year. Instead of filling holes and patching them, they've farmed out the work as spot road improvement contracts on Highway 5 near Roblin and Highway 6 near Fairford. Could this be a sign of things to come? Ontario, BC, and Alberta all have private road maintenance.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:54 AM
BANNED

Has anyone heard IF these clowns at city hall have any plans at fixing the route 90 train underpass at Logan ?

It's horrible to drive either way when hauling or pulling a trailer. I've got the trailer wheel airborn under that bridge way to many times and it just gets worse every year for the last 20 years

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Most toll roads in the States you don't have to pay if you're not from there. Canadians (and I believe usually too people from a state not covered by the tollway) do not have to pay... Probably a mix of encouraging tourism and already paying your taxes at home.
Oh? This I didn't know! Last summer I went to Orlando, and we had to pay tolls. How could I have avoided this?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:33 AM

I went out tonight to get some photos of the construction site of the new Lagimodiere & The Perimeter Interchange.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:50 AM

^ Awesome! coming along nicely. thanks for the great photos.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 3:36 PM

I like that they've considered "beautifying" the interchange a bit... but that is about the least you could ever do. Wonder if anything will be painted or something... no one's gonna see that at 90 km/h.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 7:53 PM

Quote:
I like that they've considered "beautifying" the interchange a bit... but that is about the least you could ever do. Wonder if anything will be painted or something... no one's gonna see that at 90 km/h.
You could see it on a bike! Any plans for AT paths through that interchange? Other than the tunnel at Raleigh/gateway?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 2:09 AM

Doesn't any major infrastructure project like a bridge or highway have to provide some sort of public art?

CP trail has the wolf sculptures at both ends of the PPP portion, the Disraeli Fwy has the check mark etc.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 1:36 PM

Thanks for the photos!

It's coming along. A lot of road embankment work is done on the west side of the interchange. I don't believe there are any other pathways as part of the project either. Just the through pass at Gateway/Raleigh.

The public art thing can be a bit of a token gesture. CPT has the wolves, which are cool. Disraeli was supposed to have some form of an "artists gallery" I had thought. Under the bridge at Waterfront, there are large blank concrete areas. But all that's a there is some kind of metal thing on one of the columns.

Transitway will also have public art. Not sure in what form yet. But will be at the high visibility locations. The stations will have some cool designs though, in terms of finishes. Each one will be unique to the surrounding area. Plaza Station will draw on the beet farm. Parker Station will draw on the surrounding grasslands. That type of thing.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 1:47 PM
What could go wrong?

I have to say that living near by and passing through virtually every day that this project is truly massive in scope. The sheer amount of road work, excavating and drainage work is mind blowing. I have only seen existing concrete and road beds completely dug up like this when they did the Hwy 75 rebuild (this is how it is done in the US). It is quite a site to see.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 5:58 PM
Heart of the Continent

They also did the same thing when they rebuilt the eastbound lanes of highway 1 east between the perimeter and 12 a few years ago, and the eastbound lanes of highway 1 west from highway 13 to Elie last year.

There are different levels of rebuilds. It all depends on the condition and age of the grade.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 6:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
They also did the same thing when they rebuilt the eastbound lanes of highway 1 east between the perimeter and 12 a few years ago, and the eastbound lanes of highway 1 west from highway 13 to Elie last year.

There are different levels of rebuilds. It all depends on the condition and age of the grade.
The difference if find is that you usually don't see the road bed torn up and re-packed.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 7:21 PM

This is one where I'm a bit torn. No matter how well you think you've packed that road bed when building brand new, it will ALWAYS settle, always.. The trick is to get it to settle uniformly. Even working and packing of materials is key.

So when doing rehab's, it is advantageous if you can leave the original road bed in place and simply add the new pavement on top. With a bit of prep work of course. If the roadbed is failing, causing the pavement to fail, well obviously need to rip the whole thing out.

On a scenario like 59/101, they're ripping it out due to road alignment mostly. And since you're ripping out large stretches of roadway, might as well do it all.

Are you speaking mostly along 59? I noticed that had most of the median ditch filled in and paved over with asphalt a few weeks back.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 7:47 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The difference if find is that you usually don't see the road bed torn up and re-packed.

It was probably also a funding issue with Lowe budgets in the past.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:46 PM

Anyone know if the pedestrian overpass at Disraeli by the entegra is ever going to open, or are they going to just leave it wrapped in snow fence forever?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:51 PM

Looks like people are just walking over the snow fence. I assume they're in the process of getting new stairs fabricated.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Anyone know if the pedestrian overpass at Disraeli by the entegra is ever going to open, or are they going to just leave it wrapped in snow fence forever?
I am not sure if MPI or the city's self insurance will be paying for it so there could be delay there.

The city also said that they had to have a structural engineer look at the damage and see if was repairable (pound the dent out? ) or order a whole new stair assembly

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 7:07 PM

This would be covered under the P3 agreement I presume. Even though it's existing prior to, they rehabed it. I would then guess cllew that you're right on the insurance thing through MPI. By now they should've figured out the engineering portion of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan