HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Is there any hope for development on the Main Street side of the rails, next to Friskee Pearl, etc, or is this just the Forks side?
There's always hope, but the conversation is exclusively about near-confirmed development on the Forks side. This development will certainly make the main street side more appealing.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 4:50 PM

IIRC the work being done this year was either site servicing mains and/or the geothermal system running into that area of the site.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 12:41 AM

There will be some new life breathed into that section of Main St with 300 Main opening and the renovation of the Winnipeg Hotel. That gives me some hope that those parking lots by The Friskee Pearl will eventually be developed.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 12:59 PM

If I was a developer (which I'm not unfortunately) a tall slim building full of microsuites would be perfect. I walk there daily and the amount of CDI and Robertson foreign students is mind blowing. They all take bus to outside downtown area. 100's each day. Too bad they can't keep them in downtown. And I'm not trying to "class" them but these aren't the UofM students driving BMW or Benz.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 1:19 PM

Honestly if they can’t find anyone to develop the massive parking lot on Main the city should take it in their own hands and improve its public realm to make it a massive town square. We don’t really have our Yonge/Dundas Square or Place D’youville equivalent but with the right streetscaping and landscape architect. it could be a nice hub that attracts people
and development DT.

A good case study would be the new warehouse park development in Edmonton which is a plan to connect a bunch of surface parking lots together for a new Downtown park.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...hbourhood-park

Honestly, our new city planning strategy in general should be just copy what Edmonton’s doing these days.

Lol just realized I said “our” like I still live in Peg. Seems like I do miss the city a bit.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 2:14 PM

^The whole point of Railside is that it's designed around squares so I can't really see the value of having one on Main on the other side of the tracks.

Also, not to be totally negative, but things like downtown plazas, squares, parks, etc aren't typically super successful in downtown Winnipeg. TNS appears to be the exception thankfully but it is also surrounded by new towers full of people and run by a private company. People nearby make squares successful.

South main needs buildings on the surface lots. There are parks all around it and there will be public squares at the forks shortly. Also don't forget the new park/plaza at Main and Assiniboine that is empty every single time I walk by it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 3:04 PM

Man I would love to see South Main pop up full of mixed use midrise or 20-30 storey high rise more than almost any other area.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Man I would love to see South Main pop up full of mixed use midrise or 20-30 storey high rise more than almost any other area.
Me too although I would be happy with midrise 6-10 stories as well. When/if Union staton is a major rapid transit hub, and when/if railside is near completion, perhaps those lots will be more appealing to developers (and the one at the northwest side of Main and Broadway).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 4:30 AM

Saw quite a lot of work going on besides the tracks today, in between the big parking lot and the friskee pearl. Anyone know exactly whats happening here?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 7:11 PM

might be staging area for major track maintenance taking place on the highline through downtown.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
I agree, they would have to be 20 - 30+ floor buildings. I am ok with 6 - 14 floor residences on secondary / non major streets.
My hope is the tallest, in a perfect world would be on Broadway @ Main..Like near 30 or more.
If we want to grow our population as quickly as some politicians think they can, then we need to build homes & apartments now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Public Art Call for Railside at The Forks

We're looking for Manitoba artists to enter the first of two new pulbic art commissions for Railside at The Forks.

“We are committed to creating welcoming public spaces at The Forks, open and accessible to everyone. We know public art is a key component of great placemaking and are thrilled to be able to offer the first of two commissions for the first phase of Railside at The Forks to Manitoba artists,” says Sara Stasiuk, Chief Executive Officer, The Forks North Portage Partnership.

Great public spaces are at the forefront of all planning within Railside at The Forks.

“We heard loud and clear in our public consultations and annual surveys that people want “more of The Forks” within Railside,” says Stasiuk. “As we wrap up our underground work in preparation for construction, it’s the perfect time to reinforce that commitment and announce how art will be the lead component of this development.”

The call today represents the first of two commissions for the new mixed-use development and offers artists the ability to dream big for the public spaces that are the cornerstone of the Railside development.

“We are launching this call now in order to bring artists into the picture early so they can be part of the team designing those spaces,” says Clare MacKay, Chief Communities Officer, The Forks North Portage. “They will be working with a team of architects and developers to choose what and how they want to bring art to the public space. That’s unusual and we are excited to see what comes from these commissions.”

The first RFQ is for an established Manitoba artist and the second, to be released in winter 2024, is for an emerging Manitoba artist. The two-part call is intentional to allow the emerging artist to be mentored by the established artist.

It is important to The Forks that the first call for RFQs be for Manitoba artists.

“Over the last 30 years, The Forks has become known for its collection of public art, now numbering thirty works from around the world with many by Manitoba artists. How amazingly fortunate our visitors have been to see works by local Indigenous artists Val Vint, KC Adams, and Jaimie Isaac standing alongside Ai Wei Wei’s Forever Bicycles," says MacKay. “Beginning this development with Manitoba commissions was an intentional decision to highlight the depth and breadth of our community’s talent. We can’t wait to add to the collection with these commissions.”

An artist selection panel will shortlist artists and select final awards. The panel, composed of independent arts professionals, includes David Moos, President and Founder of David Moos Art Advisory, Noam Gonick, award-winning Director, Writer and Artist, and Allison Yearwood, Executive Director Plug In ICA.

The art is to be completed and installed as the first buildings of the development are opening in early 2025. The commissions are being funded by the previously announced Tax-Increment Financing from The City of Winnipeg and Province of Manitoba.

Future art commissions will follow, as Railside is a twenty-year development. Any future commissions will be funded through donations to The Forks Foundation.

“The Forks Foundation exists for the express purpose of creating great public space at The Forks and other downtown parks,” says MacKay, who is also Executive Director of The Forks Foundation. “The Forks Foundation will build on the successful installation of these two commissions to attract donors who will be able to see firsthand the value art brings to creating a place for everyone.”

The Forks plans to announce more details about Phase One Railside at The Forks including calls for local expressions of interest in main floor commercial spaces in November 2023.
https://www.theforks.com/blog/368/pu...e-at-the-forks

Some new renderings of Railside:

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 3:58 AM
BANNED

Going on what now, 20 years and the city still dithering on what to do with the rail side!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 10:32 AM

Love these conceptual images. My biggest concern is the "public spaces" and (like majority cities) the homeless & non-desirables hanging around your front door. I work downtown and security at 201 Portage plaza or True North Square are constantly asking them to move on, these are private spaces. If these courtyards are public, not sure about that.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 12:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Maybe put this here?

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...-property-plan

City accused of delaying, derailing property plan

By: Joyanne Pursaga Posted: 5:18 PM CDT Wednesday, Sep. 27, 2023 WFP

The City of Winnipeg is being accused of unfairly holding up the redevelopment of a prominent Main Street property for more than a decade, most recently by attempting to buy back part of the land.

By contrast, the city claims the property’s current owner must honour a clause that would let the municipal government purchase 219 Main St., which is adjacent to Earls restaurant’s former downtown location.

The saga began in 2012, when the city declared the property surplus and sold it for $690,000 to OGGI Investments Ltd. The deal included a clause that the city could buy back the land for that price minus 10 per cent if it was not developed by October 2015.

In 2014, Earl’s Holdings (Main Street) Ltd. bought the company that owned the land for $1 million and, as a result, the land itself. Earls then submitted a development proposal for the land, proposing a new restaurant, new commercial space to replace its adjacent restaurant and a shared parking lot between the two buildings.

A city committee rejected that plan in a tied vote in 2015, noting a Winnipeg zoning bylaw had recently changed for all Main Street properties. The new rules called for a minimum 35-foot building height, taller than the proposed single-storey structure, and required developers to obtain city approval for any associated parking.

In 2020, Earls entered an agreement to sell 191 Main (its former restaurant site before moving to 300 Main), 219 Main and another nearby site to a numbered company for $1.2 million and asked the city to officially end the buy-back clause.

The city declined, so Earls applied to court to have the caveat removed.

In 2021, the city filed a legal claim against Earl’s Holdings and 10060193 Manitoba Ltd., seeking a court to order to exercise the clause, which would transfer 219 Main back to the city for the price of $621,000.

In court last week, Earls’ lawyer argued the city action has stalled the development unfairly, noting the company began planning its 2015 development proposal before the new height and parking standards were imposed.

“It is fundamentally unfair for the contracting party to then change the rules of the game,” said Jamie Kagan.

Kagan stressed the city shouldn’t be able to “sleep on” its caveat on the land, noting it made no effort to buy the property back for several years, as Earls continued to use it for overflow parking.

In a statement of defence, Earls denies it is under any legal obligation to surrender the property and alleges the attempt by the city to reclaim it at the original price is no longer valid.

“The property is now worth $1.2 million. By this action, the city claims to be entitled to take back the property for $621,000, which is approximately half the current value of the property,” the document states.

The restaurant claims the legal dispute is now delaying a new “substantial development” proposal that includes the land, though it does not offer details of that development.

The city’s lawyer told court there was no expiry date for the municipal claim on the property and the city did not unfairly delay the previous restaurant development.

“The city did not stop this development. It’s respectfully submitted that, ultimately, Earls did not submit a plan that met (what) the city needed. … The city spent months after the variances were denied, the appeals were denied, trying to work with this developer to find a solution,” said Kalyn Bomback.

Bomback said the city has some interest in using at least part of the land for future rapid-transit development but said its interest isn’t limited to that purpose.

She noted the city is not required to approve specific development proposals.

“Sometimes development agreements fall through, sometimes they don’t work and sometimes you end up with a parking lot for years, and the city doesn’t want to see that,” said Bomback.

She said the city is in discussions with a developer about the latest proposal.

The city and Kagan declined interview requests.

Justice Vic Toews reserved judgment on the matter.

Coun. Brian Mayes, a former chairman of city council’s property and development committee, said it’s surprising to see another city land-use decision in court, noting the city also faced legal challenges over the proposed redevelopment of the Parker lands.

“It just seems to be part of a larger pattern of land-planning matters going to the courts,” said Mayes.

The councillor said it may be time to consider creating some form of planning commission to make some city land-use decisions, since multiple rulings are now being appealed in court or at the Manitoba Municipal Board.

“There seems to be a lot of litigation now surrounding these matters, so I think some sort of different approval process makes sense,” said Mayes.

joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @joyanne_pursaga
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 1:51 PM

So the City finally gets a backbone and developers are crying about it. Good news.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 2:01 PM

I'm really nervous that the layout being proposed will end up like that weird housing project on Balmoral that failed. These two developments will cater to very different populations, however, the closed off nature of this development feels like it is just asking for trouble. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 2:23 PM

My first thought on Phase One was "wow, that takes up more of the parking lots than I thought". It's going to be a pretty substantial change to The Forks.

I understand the concerns about the layout of the courtyards, and they are probably not unfounded. I'm thinking, however, that the arrangement of the buildings will mean there are always lots of eyes on the courtyard spaces. I imagine those might become the most desirable suites to have?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I'm really nervous that the layout being proposed will end up like that weird housing project on Balmoral that failed. These two developments will cater to very different populations, however, the closed off nature of this development feels like it is just asking for trouble. I sure hope I'm wrong.
This forks project is designed around a public square tho, and in the middle of our biggest tourist destination. I think people who visit the forks will just add in these squares as part of their touristy walk through the forks. I believe there will be a large promenade on the east side eventually and the "box car alley" on the west side which will bring lots of foot traffic around the squares.

That balmoral project was strictly residential right? I can't remember if the main floor had commercial. Cause a residential project isn't a destination, and neither is Balmoral street! I feel the context is quite different in this case.

I totally get the skepticism tho...it's something different for the city and at such an important location. My skepticism isn't around the idea of a public square or two, but the sheer amount of squares proposed. I think the long-term plan proposed 4 or 5 squares in total, all of which are supposed to have "activated" main floor uses (mainly commercial I would assume). That seems like way too many storefront to fill and too many public spaces to keep interesting and lively. I imagine the north part of the development will hinge on the success of the two southern squares.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 2:42 PM

I was just doing a quick google and stumbled up this proposal from prairie architects https://www.prairiearchitects.ca/for...g-condominiums

Is this an old one from years ago or something new? I don't remember seeing it before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan