HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 5:43 AM

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 4:06 AM

I think Winnipeg is a very cool city but I have to say that I REALLY dislike the new MHR.
I find it incredibly unappealing.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 4:09 AM

I tought I was alone...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 3:27 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I'm very meh about it.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 6:29 PM

I like it.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 6:51 PM
Look at me!

I used to hate it. Now I get it: it's Winnipeg's comeback showpiece, it's brash and bombastic. I like it now.

Though I'll agree, the function of the building, a human rights museum, is very much meh.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 8:23 PM

BlackBerry falters, but its backyard is thriving
Pool of technology talent and easier immigration laws are attracting firms
24 Dec 2013
International New York Times
BY IAN AUSTEN

... unlike some cities that suffered when a big local business faltered, as Rochester did with Kodak and Xerox, BlackBerry’s backyard of Waterloo still bubbles with economic energy.

Technology companies large and small are coming here, about 70 miles southwest of Toronto, to recruit BlackBerry’s talent — and several of the companies are also setting up shop in town.

Google, a local presence for nearly a decade, was recently joined by its Motorola Mobility hardware subsidiary. Square, the mobile credit-card-processing service started by Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s co-founder and chairman, opened an office. Cisco announced this month that it would create 1,700 research and development jobs within commuting distance.

And several start-ups that left Waterloo for the financing and talent of Silicon Valley, including Thalmic Labs, a gesture-control computing company, have come home.

... Even before the latest round of layoffs at BlackBerry was announced in September, several top technology companies, including Apple and Facebook, held recruiting nights in the area. Some companies that have swooped in for workers have tried to woo people to distant head offices.

But Mr. Power said Square decided that an office in the area would improve the company’s chances of hiring the best talent from the University of Waterloo, which has highly regarded computer science and engineering faculties and is a major part of the attraction for technology companies.

... The region has also tried to avoid a repeat of what happened in Ottawa, about 350 miles to the northeast, which experienced an exodus of skilled technology workers after the collapse of Nortel. A technology industry group in the area, Communitech, provides office space, mentoring and other services to startups and even large established firms.

... Although the jobs are staying in the region, they are concentrating in a different location. BlackBerry’s main office complex, just a couple of years old, sits on Waterloo’s most suburban fringe. Little but farms lies beyond it.

But many of the newer technology companies in the area, including Google, Square, MappedIn and Motorola, are in former industrial buildings in the heart of downtown Kitchener.

... For employers, he said, the competition to hire the best talent is less intense in Kitchener-Waterloo than in many other places, including California; employee turnover is much lower; and the community offers services like Communitech to help with recruiting. And because Canada’s immigration laws are more flexible than those of the United States, technology companies are also able to add talented foreign workers to the mix.

For employees, Mr. Phillips said, the area offers reasonable housing prices, good schools and other attractions. ‘‘I’ve been in Waterloo for almost 20 years now, and I really like the area,’’ he said.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 9:38 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Not sure of connection to skylines...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 11:04 PM

Better suited to the "Provincial Economies" thread.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 8:01 AM
ARTchitecture

I figure since people often post pictures of Detroit's skyline with one or two towers of Windsor in it, that I can safely post this... Niagara New York, taken from Niagara Ontario yesterday.

Niagara NY by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 2:45 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

That has no Canadian towers in it so you can't really post it. It's not Windsor's fault that it's hard to get an angle of their city without showing Detroit.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 4:38 PM

Last edited by FrAnKs; Dec 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 1:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not very clear, but here's a view of Halifax taken from the Maritime Centre:

Source

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 4:21 AM

Re: the Human Rights Museum, the building itself has grown on me. But like Rico, I don't care much one way or the other for its purpose. I would rather see a Royal Manitoba Museum along the lines of the ROM in Toronto or the soon-to-be-built new RAM in Edmonton.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:55 PM

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

QC, stop making every other <1million city look bad

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:19 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Apart from Winnipeg. It looks good too, just in a different way.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:36 PM

Winnipeg From St.Boniface

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I figure since people often post pictures of Detroit's skyline with one or two towers of Windsor in it, that I can safely post this... Niagara New York, taken from Niagara Ontario yesterday.
Interesting quote. Here's an idea, come to Windsor and you show me where you can get a great shot of the city. There's basically 2 angles, looking at Detroit, or looking from Detroit, so don't go shooting us Windsor folks because our photos have Detroit in the background. It's just too damn flat here and we're next to an international river that most people taking pictures don't cross for the sake of looking back and taking pictures of Windsor. We don't have a lot of options for pictures.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 6:16 PM
ARTchitecture

I know man, I've been to Windsor several times (I'm from Woodstock), it was mostly just a joke with a hint of truth. I like that we have two border cities with cool skylines on both sides of their respective rivers.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada