HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
So, just biomorphic then. Or geomorphic/terramorphic. Or aquamorphic LOL

But the structure itself is concrete & rebar - only the veneer is limestone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyane7 View Post
No, La Pedrera is made of reinforced concrete.
No, no, the structure is formed for stone or bricked pillars and metallic girders, the facade is made with stone.
http://www.gaudiclub.com/ingles/i_vida/pedrera.html.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:16 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsajano View Post
No, no, the structure is formed for stone or bricked pillars and metallic girders, the facade is made with stone.
http://www.gaudiclub.com/ingles/i_vida/pedrera.html.
OK

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:09 AM

01/16/08

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:10 AM

good job, bvic

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:27 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
December 26, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
01/16/08
3 weeks ago today they were removing forms from the 5th floor of balconies, and today they're clearing 8th.
So they're on a floor a week pace. And with no real transfer floor to speak of and ~71 floors to go, the building should top out in June of next year.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
01/16/08

Great picture BVic!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:09 AM

^^Someone mentioned Waterview looking cool even without cladding, but this building takes the cake in that department.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:23 AM

I know it's too much to ask for, but raw concrete for the balconies would be amazing. Why can't American contractors do it like they do in Japan, with the machines that vibrate the concrete gently as it sets for no bubbles and smooth surfaces and a clean finish?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:24 AM

This is going to be one of my new favs for sure

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
3 weeks ago today they were removing forms from the 5th floor of balconies, and today they're clearing 8th.
So they're on a floor a week pace. And with no real transfer floor to speak of and ~71 floors to go, the building should top out in June of next year.
you're right, except I think there is one transfer floor. at least, its a mechanical floor. Its up there more than halfway, and there are no balconies. so that might take longer than a week, but who cares

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:10 PM
mmmmkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I know it's too much to ask for, but raw concrete for the balconies would be amazing. Why can't American contractors do it like they do in Japan, with the machines that vibrate the concrete gently as it sets for no bubbles and smooth surfaces and a clean finish?
We can if they want to spend the money on a more expensive mix. Imagine concrete that flows like water and you have SCC

If someone would take a close up of the slab we might find that they are already using SCC for this project. From a distance they do look rather clean.

Quote:
Self-consolidating concrete, also known as self-compacting concrete and SCC, is a highly flowable, non-segregating concrete that can spread into place, fill formwork and encapsulate even the most congested reinforcement, all without any mechanical vibration. As a high-performance concrete, SCC delivers these attractive benefits while maintaining all of concrete's customary mechanical properties and durability characteristics.

SCC is defined as a concrete mixture that can be placed purely by means of its own weight, with little or no vibration. Adjustments to traditional mix designs and the use of superplasticizers creates flowing concrete that meets tough performance requirements. If needed, low dosages of viscosity modifier can be used to eliminate unwanted bleeding and segregation.

Since its inception in the 1980s, the use of SCC has grown tremendously. The development of high performance polycarboxylate polymers and viscosity modifiers have made it possible to create “flowing” concrete without compromising durability, cohesiveness, or compressive strength. The flowability of SCC is measured in terms of spread when using a modified version of the slump test (ASTM C 143). The spread (slump flow) of SCC typically ranges from 18 to 32 inches (455 to 810 mm) depending on the requirements for the project. The viscosity, as visually observed by the rate at which concrete spreads, is an important characteristic of plastic SCC and can be controlled when designing the mix to suit the type of application being constructed.

SCC's unique properties give it significant economic, constructability, aesthetic and engineering advantages. SCC is an increasingly attractive choice for optimizing site manpower (through reduction of labor and possibly skill level), lowering noise levels, and allowing for a safer working environment. SCC allows easier pumping (even from bottom up), flows into complex shapes, transitions through inaccessible spots, and minimizes voids around embedded items to produce a high degree of homogeneity and uniformity. That's why SCC allows for denser reinforcement, optimized concrete sections and shapes, and greater freedom of design while producing superior surface finishes and textures.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoPrecaster View Post
We can if they want to spend the money on a more expensive mix. Imagine concrete that flows like water and you have SCC

If someone would take a close up of the slab we might find that they are already using SCC for this project. From a distance they do look rather clean.
Wow - thx.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:02 PM
Registered

To add to what ColoPrecaster mentioned: 10023, we do vibrate concrete to get consolidation. You can't really get decent results without it. In addition to what the post above mentions, a great exposed concrete finish has a lot to do with the mix, admixtures, and formwork.

If you are thinking about concrete such as Ando's work, be prepared to spend some serious cash. In Dallas, some columns were formed in steel tubes that later had to be cut off with precision tools so as not to mar the pristine surface.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 7:21 PM
Endless Moments...

Nice updates. I really love those curves in the concrete. So nice...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 7:29 PM

thats a nice pic indeed...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 7:52 PM
Editor

Man, I can harldy wait to see this when it's done.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
If you are thinking about concrete such as Ando's work, be prepared to spend some serious cash. In Dallas, some columns were formed in steel tubes that later had to be cut off with precision tools so as not to mar the pristine surface.
That's exactly what I'm thinking of. It's a luxury tower, and the main selling point (or one of them) is quality of design for a change. Go for it and spend the money.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
That's exactly what I'm thinking of. It's a luxury tower, and the main selling point (or one of them) is quality of design for a change. Go for it and spend the money.
Except this is a Low-end-berg tower we are talking about meaning, no, if he can get away with spending less money, he will.

However, I would not be surprised to see that the finish on the balconies is indeed very quality out of necessity since they need to be high strength since they are cantilevered.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 10:15 PM
Registered

^ They look fine. But you easily can see the formwork lines in the finished balconies all over the place - not the Ando effect by any means. I personally think that's a not bad at all for this building.

Ando's style of concrete is so difficult to achieve and, in some regards, so contrary to the nature of the material, you start to wonder if concrete really should have been his material of choice. I love the end result, but... I guess this is a topic for a different thread. The quick and dirty way Aqua is being built, which isn't that "dirty" of course, seems to speak to the nature of the material.

Finish quality does not imply high-strength however.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 10:55 PM

well, as the resident UIC student, the interiors of buildings here are completely filled with the impressions of knots from the boards they used for concrete forms. some people might like that, but I think its really fortunate for the developer (that people like it), because its a lovely excuse for a developer to put less care into formwork

I'm not really happy with the crease that goes along the bottom (and probably top) lip of the aqua balconies, and the rest of it doesn't look as pure as it could, but its a pretty minor gripe of mine, and if nothing is changed, i will probably still love this building

I've asked a couple times now if they are going to paint it to make it whiter (as the renderings indicate), but I've gotten no response, so i can only assume that no one knows, or i asked a painfully stupid question

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive