HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
So much hate for bikes. My friends with ebikes in Regina speak highly of them. But there is such animosity toward anything that might reduce the number of vehicles on the road (transit/bikes/e-bikes/active transportation).
Who hates bikes? Do you think people that don't ride bikes as their main mode of transportation hate bikes? Do you think people hate buses too just because they don't ride them all the time?

Seems like a really weird thing to say out of the blue.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
You know it. I won't condemn most of them but unfortunately its rather hard to de-program people and it will likely take a major disaster to convince people to re-think things. I won't give up though, because that's not the type of person I am.

Thanks for the kind words. Right back at you. Solidarity, friend.
If that don't sound like a goverment who is Hell bent on controlling its population at all costs than idduno what is.. DE PROGRAM people....have a disaster so they can RE THINK...If that's your solution on the left to meet people in the middle, ill gladly stay on the right and you can Re program yourself lol.

And they call conservatives conspiracy theorists...Jesus

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Fair points. But you have to admit, 13th ain't Broadway and 11th pales compared to 20th etc. etc. At least downtown Saskatoon feels like it is moving in the right direction.
I do agree with you on the 13th/Broadway comparison. 13th should be so much more by now, given what can happen in other cities, including Saskatoon.

I'm not sure I follow your 11th/20th comparison though. Are you referring to the segments exclusively in the CBDs? I would have thought the relevant parts are 11th in the CBD but 20th to the west of Idylwyld. If so, this is not exactly apples to apples, and I am not sure how useful of a comparison it is.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Who hates bikes? Do you think people that don't ride bikes as their main mode of transportation hate bikes? Do you think people hate buses too just because they don't ride them all the time?

Seems like a really weird thing to say out of the blue.
Sorry, I posted an incomplete thought there responding to the post before mine. I think there is a hate for bikes in Regina. I agree with gecho111 that there is a place on our city for more of them, but we definitely lack secure storage for them. We don't have enclosed, secure cahes for parking.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 12:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
If that don't sound like a goverment who is Hell bent on controlling its population at all costs than idduno what is.. DE PROGRAM people....have a disaster so they can RE THINK...If that's your solution on the left to meet people in the middle, ill gladly stay on the right and you can Re program yourself lol.

And they call conservatives conspiracy theorists...Jesus
I’m not saying government should de-program people. I’m saying people on the left should. I’m sorry that sounds scary to you, but to me, the status quo and the further moving to the right of this province is much more terrifying. If you haven’t noticed, things are not great. We are turning into the Alabama of Canada. You might be fine with letting this place turn into a regressive shithole but I am not.

Also, I think you’re being a little over-sensitive over the word “de-program”. All I’m suggesting is correcting the record being spread by bad actors who want you to think privatization is good, public services are bad, continue to spread lies about past provincial governments, or how the enemy is “Trudeau/Quebec/environmentalists” and not the people in charge of the province or city. The major thing is reminding the working class, with evidence, that the right absolutely does not have their economic best interests in mind and that they are being fooled with petty culture war bullshit. This is how politics works.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jan 5, 2023 at 1:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
I do agree with you on the 13th/Broadway comparison. 13th should be so much more by now, given what can happen in other cities, including Saskatoon.

I'm not sure I follow your 11th/20th comparison though. Are you referring to the segments exclusively in the CBDs? I would have thought the relevant parts are 11th in the CBD but 20th to the west of Idylwyld. If so, this is not exactly apples to apples, and I am not sure how useful of a comparison it is.
I see what you mean. It was really just off the top of my head, but I was thinking CBD adjacent commerical streets. So the comparison to me would be 20th west of Idylwyld, as you mentioned, to 11th east of Broad. For a city the size of Regina there is a real lack of areas with low-rise mixed used builidings that foster vibrant, walkable commerical districts, similar to Broadway or the area around 20th. In Regina you have fragments on Hill Ave., 15th Ave, parts of 11th west, but not much with any critical mass, including 13th. I think 11th east of Broad could be that. When you consider the possible future plans for Sask Drive, the North/South Streets in the heritage area could help tie things together as well. Save for the arcane monstrosity that is the RPS headquarters I suppose...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:25 PM

The Nest is nearing completion of its new fitness centre in the former downtown YMCA. It is scheduled t open Feb. 1

https://nesthealth.ca/fitness/

sneak peak:

https://youtu.be/NCKDDerCCQA

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Sorry, I posted an incomplete thought there responding to the post before mine. I think there is a hate for bikes in Regina. I agree with gecho111 that there is a place on our city for more of them, but we definitely lack secure storage for them. We don't have enclosed, secure cahes for parking.
I think the part of the problem, in addition to a lack of robust cycling infrastucture of course, is there isn't a really strong cycling culture in the city. Now some of that is for obvious reasons like climate, but it doesn't stop cities like Olso or Edmonton. But I do think we are a city without a lot of confident cyclers. As in some people are riding on the sidewalk, some are in traffic, some are in traffic but don't know the rules and others will only use dedicated corridors. It feeds into the idea that we don't know what we're doing and so we don't derserve the space, ergo Regina hates cyclists. More of us need to make our presence known on our bikes to challenge the dominant car culture!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:31 PM

Quote:
I think the part of the problem, in addition to a lack of robust cycling infrastucture of course, is there isn't a really strong cycling culture in the city. Now some of that is for obvious reasons like climate, but it doesn't stop cities like Olso or Edmonton. But I do think we are a city without a lot of confident cyclers. As in some people are riding on the sidewalk, some are in traffic, some are in traffic but don't know the rules and others will only use dedicated corridors. It feeds into the idea that we don't know what we're doing and so we don't derserve the space, ergo Regina hates cyclists. More of us need to make our presence known on our bikes to challenge the dominant car culture!
Oslo is much much warmer in winter than us. Edmonton is a fair comparison but I spend a lot of time there and I don't see much of a large bike community, especially in the winter.

There aren't very many cities in the world of our size that have colder winters.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Oslo is much much warmer in winter than us. Edmonton is a fair comparison but I spend a lot of time there and I don't see much of a large bike community, especially in the winter.

There aren't very many cities in the world of our size that have colder winters.
Good point about Oslo. I guess maybe Saskatoon would be a better comparison too lol! I'm not sure if there are considerably more cyclists there than here but I'm suspecting yes given the larger university. You are right, there are not that many cities similar in size with the same temperature challenges, but I think of places with persistent heavy snowfall like Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Boston, New York. And then Winnipeg, which seems to get the worst of all types of weather. All much bigger centres of course, but my point is that climate alone shouldn't be a good enough excuse for the lack of a biking culture.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Good point about Oslo. I guess maybe Saskatoon would be a better comparison too lol! I'm not sure if there are considerably more cyclists there than here but I'm suspecting yes given the larger university. You are right, there are not that many cities similar in size with the same temperature challenges, but I think of places with persistent heavy snowfall like Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Boston, New York. And then Winnipeg, which seems to get the worst of all types of weather. All much bigger centres of course, but my point is that climate alone shouldn't be a good enough excuse for the lack of a biking culture.
How can it not be? Biking in -20C weather is a non-starter for virtually everyone.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
How can it not be? Biking in -20C weather is a non-starter for virtually everyone.
Because there’s 9-10 months of the year where it’s virtually not an issue. I don’t know why people are always so fixated on the two-three months we receive extreme cold.

Even so, a lot of the days it’s not even -20 and for most people in the prairies who have lived in the region their whole lives should at this point have acclimated to the climate conditions. As someone who has done winter cycling I agree it’s a massive challenge, but so rewarding and fulfilling it gives a great dopamine boost!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The good thing about humans, is we are a creative and adaptable bunch. Others might want to limit their imagination, put up self-imposed barriers, and be followers, but I am optimistic that we can do almost anything we set out minds to. I believe that there is an opportunity for us to be leaders in making a sustainable, winter-weather city. That being said, in order to do so, we need to get out of the car-centric mindset that was previously discussed.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Because there’s 9-10 months of the year where it’s virtually not an issue. I don’t know why people are always so fixated on the two-three months we receive extreme cold.

Even so, a lot of the days it’s not even -20 and for most people in the prairies who have lived in the region their whole lives should at this point have acclimated to the climate conditions. As someone who has done winter cycling I agree it’s a massive challenge, but so rewarding and fulfilling it gives a great dopamine boost!
I hate the cold but if I had access to the right infrastructure, I'd consider winter-weather biking. I think car culture has made us soft and this would be one way to encourage people to be active year-round.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Most commuters granted, but to say virtually everyone? That's a rather arrogant and myopic assertion.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The good thing about humans, is we are a creative and adaptable bunch. Others might want to limit their imagination, put up self-imposed barriers, and be followers, but I am optimistic that we can do almost anything we set out minds to. I believe that there is an opportunity for us to be leaders in making a sustainable, winter-weather city. That being said, in order to do so, we need to get out of the car-centric mindset that was previously discussed.
Agreed! However, to be a true winter city will require considerablly more than a Frost festival

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Most commuters granted, but to say virtually everyone? That's a rather arrogant and myopic assertion.
Well, how many people do you see on bikes in the winter?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
I thought we were talking about what is possible, not what exists currently. Are you saying that because something is a certain way now, that's the only way it could ever be?

Last edited by cityboy; Jan 5, 2023 at 6:20 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I thought we were talking about what is possible, not what exists currently. Are you saying that because something is a certian way now, that's the only way it could ever be?
I'm saying there are real roadblocks in the way of your vision of a bicycle friendly community and one very big one is the weather. I'm saying that it will take more than a few bike lanes to get people to commute to work on a bike all year. I guess it doesn't hurt to dream though.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:51 PM

Quote:
They are out there. I know a couple of people in the city who don't have cars and commute by bike all winter. I know they aren't the only ones. I run outside every day and a few times a week, I see people on bikes. This time of year, it's usually fat bikes with the wider tires.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan