HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_eh View Post
For anyone who has been to a Goldeyes game when a tarin goes by, I'd imagine living adjacent to the area might not be super appealing.

That 5 minute long SCREEEEECH of the train wheels as they round the curve by the stadium doesn't seem like something I would want to try and sleep through.
that's been discussed before and it's the angle of the curve that causes that. much of the residential will be further South of that. But you are correct, you can potentially still hear it if balcony or open windows.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 2:20 PM

^ The sound is very loud at Goldeyes games because you are right by the curve and you're sitting outside. For Railside, there is a fair bit of distance to muffle the sound. And I'd imagine that most people keep their windows closed at night... generally, for most of the year, either the heat or the AC is running.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
that's been discussed before and it's the angle of the curve that causes that. much of the residential will be further South of that. But you are correct, you can potentially still hear it if balcony or open windows.
I live a similar distance away from the curve as Railside but to the north instead of south. You can hear the sound but it is no more bothersome than any other city sound. For sleeping, I wear earplugs, but that predates living where I live.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 2:43 PM

That problem would be much more manageable if we had electric trains that moved people around the city. I think there is a term for those mystical things called a Metro system or something like that. Then it would be a further incentive to move in the area and increase demand. Maybe we’d actually have something built on the site by now.

Instead we have freight trains and the dastardly Via Rail running through the city centre like it’s the early 1900s but I digress.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 3:05 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
That problem would be much more manageable if we had electric trains that moved people around the city. I think there is a term for those mystical things called a Metro system or something like that. Then it would be a further incentive to move in the area and increase demand. Maybe we’d actually have something built on the site by now.

Instead we have freight trains and the dastardly Via Rail running through the city centre like it’s the early 1900s but I digress.
I hope that your via comment is tongue in cheek. Freight trains can go around, passenger trains are going exactly to the right place, we just need a bunch more to stop here
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 3:27 PM

If anyone really wanted to correct the grinding noise, they could. The amount of superelevation in the track needs to be decreased, as the train is riding on the inside rail causing the grinding noise. Re-surface the track with lesser superelevation and the issue goes away.

The degree of curve there is not that bad and it's just the superelevation causing the problem.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I hope that your via comment is tongue in cheek. Freight trains can go around, passenger trains are going exactly to the right place, we just need a bunch more to stop here
The Via one is definitely tongue in cheek because of how damn slow and unreliable the current service is. If they at least have plans for High Frequency Rail on the main line (200 km/h) like they’re planning on Quebec-Windsor corridor then that makes going too Regina, Sask, Calgary, and Edmonton a hell of a lot easier.

Who knows how long that process will be though.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 3:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
The Via one is definitely tongue in cheek because of how damn slow and unreliable the current service is. If they at least have plans for High Frequency Rail on the main line (200 km/h) like they’re planning on Quebec-Windsor corridor then that makes going too Regina, Sask, Calgary, and Edmonton a hell of a lot easier.

I wouldn't count on it happening, but I would love for that to be the case. I think it would also be nice to have service into the US

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 4:05 PM

There are zero plans for high speed rail around here.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 4:20 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There are zero plans for high speed rail around here.
Let's change that...

In all seriousness though, if a HS rail network was to ever be built out in North America, Winnipeg would likely connect south to Minneapolis then Chicago. In this situation, Winnipeg would once again be the gateway to the west accessing Regina, Saskatoon Edmonton, and Calgary, via a route from Chicago and a branch at Regina.

HS rail through the Canadian Shield is a lot less viable IMO.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 4:30 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Let's change that...

In all seriousness though, if a HS rail network was to ever be built out in North America, Winnipeg would likely connect south to Minneapolis then Chicago. In this situation, Winnipeg would once again be the gateway to the west accessing Regina, Saskatoon Edmonton, and Calgary, via a route from Chicago and a branch at Regina.

HS rail through the Canadian Shield is a lot less viable IMO.
True, but eastern Canada could connect to the west via Chicago and Winnipeg. I could easily already see a hsr that runs from Montreal to Chicago. If hsr were a more viable alternative to flying, especially to connect east and west of Canada and the US, Winnipeg would be the perfect gateway

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 4:50 PM

There have been numerous conceptual HSR networks proposed. Connection to Minneapolis is bare minimum to make it somewhat attractive. Then on to Chicago. Duluth has been floated as another destination/route to get to possible cruise/shipping routes through the great lakes.

Going west it's Regina. East in Canada not really feasible due to low population. We'd get to Toronto via Chicago/Detroit.

I'd just fly to Toronto instead. HSR competes with the shorter flights to Minnie or Regina. Take a 2 hour train ride bs flying to Saskatoon then back to Regina.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:16 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There have been numerous conceptual HSR networks proposed. Connection to Minneapolis is bare minimum to make it somewhat attractive. Then on to Chicago. Duluth has been floated as another destination/route to get to possible cruise/shipping routes through the great lakes.

Going west it's Regina. East in Canada not really feasible due to low population. We'd get to Toronto via Chicago/Detroit.

I'd just fly to Toronto instead. HSR competes with the shorter flights to Minnie or Regina. Take a 2 hour train ride bs flying to Saskatoon then back to Regina.
Some people might prefer the rail even if it were a lot slower. Like HSR would be like 9 or 10 hours when stops are factored in. Not great, but it's certainly more workable than the current 24... not to mention that a route with a couple stops in major cities would offer the opportunity to break the journey up. take connections to other cities on the network quickly and easily, create little layovers and enjoy some attractions in the city centers. I'm thinking like european rail networks, where the stations are often close to a bunch of cool stuff that wouldn't take that much time to get out and see if say, you had a 2 or 3 hour stop, versus a 2 hour layover at an airport confines you to the terminal and what you can enjoy airside.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
True, but eastern Canada could connect to the west via Chicago and Winnipeg. I could easily already see a hsr that runs from Montreal to Chicago. If hsr were a more viable alternative to flying, especially to connect east and west of Canada and the US, Winnipeg would be the perfect gateway
Yeah agreed - Chicago would be the transfer to the Monreal corridor.

I love the idea of hopping on a train at union station and being in Minnie or Chicago in a matter of hours without the hassle of flying. Even better - arriving right in the core of those cities.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Some people might prefer the rail even if it were a lot slower. Like HSR would be like 9 or 10 hours when stops are factored in. Not great, but it's certainly more workable than the current 24...
It's also important to think about the environmental impact of air travel compared to train travel - especially if it is electrified trains. The effects of this and how it will influence our travelling patterns in the coming decades will be interesting.

It will also be interesting to see if and how airlines are able to make their service more sustainable.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:22 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
It's also important to think about the environmental impact of air travel compared to train travel - especially if it is electrified trains. The effects of this and how it will influence our travelling patterns in the coming decades will be interesting.

It will also be interesting to see if and how airlines are able to make their service more sustainable.
I don't even think the argument is necessary to make. Trains are just a more comfortable experience all around. Getting right into the core of cities is just one of the things that makes it great. Important to remember that electrified trains are not without their environmental cost, especially building out a high speed network. That comes at a particularly high environmental cost. That said, on the surface, it seems like a good clean proposition.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 7:25 PM

Survey for The Forks by Probe with chance to win $100 gift card.

https://ca1se.voxco.com/S2/291/forks2023sum/

And yes it talks about Railside substantially in the survey so please provide your 2 cents.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 9:55 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Some people might prefer the rail even if it were a lot slower. Like HSR would be like 9 or 10 hours when stops are factored in. Not great, but it's certainly more workable than the current 24... not to mention that a route with a couple stops in major cities would offer the opportunity to break the journey up. take connections to other cities on the network quickly and easily, create little layovers and enjoy some attractions in the city centers. I'm thinking like european rail networks, where the stations are often close to a bunch of cool stuff that wouldn't take that much time to get out and see if say, you had a 2 or 3 hour stop, versus a 2 hour layover at an airport confines you to the terminal and what you can enjoy airside.
HSR will never be viable in Winnipeg. Or anywhere on the Great Plains/Prairies, for that matter.

For whatever perceived advantages HSR provides, it's not as quick as flying and it would cost an absolute fortune to construct and operate. It doesn't pay for itself in places with super high density. The centre of the continent? Nothing but a money syphon. Sorry to burst any bubbles but there's no real business case for it anywhere, never mind one of the least densely populated regions of the continent.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Survey for The Forks by Probe with chance to win $100 gift card.

https://ca1se.voxco.com/S2/291/forks2023sum/

And yes it talks about Railside substantially in the survey so please provide your 2 cents.
Done! Thanks for the link

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 1:35 AM

Quote:

High speed rail linking Winnipeg to cities like Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, etc will never happen. There is simply not enough demand for it to be economically viable.

The only two lines currently being discussed, is the Alberta Corridor (Edmonton to Calgary, with a stop in Red Deer), and the line from Windsor to Quebec city, with stops in Toronto and Montreal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan