HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
That is a significant proposal by a legitimate developer. The NIMBYs shouldn't have much to argue about since the buildings aren't "lurking" over neighbouring houses, instead facing the streets.

Hopefully, this will finally get the town to pave that end of Whitepine. It has been an awful stretch of road for years!
You underestimate the rabid NIMBYism in Riverview.

Notable that this is the developer that's behind the proposed 30-storey tower in Moncton. I wonder which one they're prioritizing?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 7:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorth View Post
I can imagine the neighbours raising the usual objections anyway - traffic, privacy etc.
But, think of the children .........

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 7:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
Notable that this is the developer that's behind the proposed 30-storey tower in Moncton. I wonder which one they're prioritizing?
This is an excellent question.

I fear the Riverview proposal might come first.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

When was infinity planned to start construction? Lafford built the second building on Highlandview Road at the same time as the Three Sisters so I can’t see why someone else couldn’t do the same. Especially if they are able to get people in the Riverview one quickly. I wonder if they will want the road to be rebuilt first. I imagine the town could do that this summer before construction starts.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 8:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

ICON proposal for the NW corner of White Pine & Pine Glen

Three buildings, six storeys each with a total of 375 units, and combined underground and surface parking.

Quote:
Icon Developments is proposing to construct three six-storey multi-unit dwellings on the site. Town staff has been working with Icon since the fall to develop a site plan that maximizes use of the property in terms of height and density while respecting the surrounding context.

The subject property is centrally located at the intersection of two major collector roads near the Findlay Park commercial district and is on three Codiac Transpo bus routes. As such, the subject property is well situated to accommodate additional density and direct population growth towards existing services and transit routes, deliver municipal services more efficiently, and
contribute to a walkable community where residents can access daily needs without the use of a personal vehicle.
Quote:
A large berm was constructed in the past to separate the Operation Centre from the properties on Harvard Court. This berm, which is now covered in mature growth, will remain and act as a natural buffer. The developer has indicated that fill from the underground parking garage could
be used to increase the size of the berm. Additionally, a mature tree buffer of varying width (between 0m-40m wide), will remain to the northwest of the site. Though the current property abuts R1 zoning, the plan is to subdivide each building so that it is on its own lot, and as such will not abut lower density properties, so the height limits imposed on development abutting R1
will not apply.

The remaining area of the site abutting the properties on Cleveland Ave will remain undeveloped for now, with Building 3 located approximately 50m (150ft) from the property line. There are currently no plans to develop this area, and it is uncertain whether the soil conditions would allow any intensive development. Any future modifications to the site plan beyond the three buildings currently being proposed will be subject to Council approval.
Site Plan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 8:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
When was infinity planned to start construction? Lafford built the second building on Highlandview Road at the same time as the Three Sisters so I can’t see why someone else couldn’t do the same. Especially if they are able to get people in the Riverview one quickly. I wonder if they will want the road to be rebuilt first. I imagine the town could do that this summer before construction starts.
Infinity has no official start date. I think it could start as early as this fall, but, a lot of dominoes have to fall in the right place. Yes, you are right, ICON could do the same as Lafford and work on both proposals at the same time. Importantly, it should be noted that this proposal will proceed in three phases, so, this may not overwhelm ICONs resources.

In any event, this project (in addition to Infinity) signals ICONs intent to be a major player in the Moncton development scene, in addition to Lafford, Ashford and Quest.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 8:50 PM

Something else I might add, is this probably the best looking Spitfire Design that we’ve seen in the metro area yet. It’s much better looking than the new design for St. Bernard’s Square.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 9:29 PM

Quote:

When I saw this, that was exactly what I thought too. They're both major projects - is there any way they could do two at the same time?

Whatever their plans are, I think there'd at least be some overlap in the timelines.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 9:39 PM

I really have a good feeling that Infinity, will begin this year or early 2025 and they will definitely have a crew that can work on both projects.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 11:54 PM

During today's meeting, the planner was asked about the expected start date and he said the developer plans to have shovel in the ground ASAP - hopefully this year.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Townhome development just approved by Riverview town council for Hillsborough Road. The site had formerly been considered for a small apartment complex, but, that application was denied thanks to the intervention of indignant neighbours. I think this proposal was snuck through before significant opposition could be mounted.

In any event, this proposal is smaller in scale, has a more robust tree buffer, and, the idea of town homes would probably be more palatable to the neighbouring citizenry than apartment buildings would be.

This comes hot on the heels of an interesting new town home development on Ryan Street in NW Moncton. I wonder if town homes are becoming a new hot higher density option for suburban development in greater Moncton? There appear to be fewer and fewer SFH being built all the time.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 23, 2024 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:47 PM

MonctonRad, do you know if it's the same developer whose prior proposal was rejected?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Townhome development just approved by Riverview town council for Hillsborough Road. The site had formerly been considered for a small apartment complex, but, that application was denied thanks to the intervention of indignant neighbours. I think this proposal was snuck through before significant opposition could be mounted.

It wasn’t actually approved. It’ll still go through the usual rezoning process with public hearing scheduled for March.

But I don’t see how the neighbours will have any strong objections to the new proposal. If I remember correctly, the last proposal was for 2 3-storey apartment buildings with a total of 50+ units

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:54 PM

Quote:

To be clear, it isn't approved yet. Goes back to council Feb. 12, PAC on March 13, public hearing March 25, bylaw 1st reading April 8, 2nd/3rd reading May 13.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
To be clear, it isn't approved yet. Goes back to council Feb. 12, PAC on March 13, public hearing March 25, bylaw 1st reading April 8, 2nd/3rd reading May 13.
Sorry, my mistake.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 4:00 PM

They are still going to receive similar complaints even with this project being smaller. The neighbours on three sides of this don’t want to lose the treed lot. Anything that has multiple units is unwelcome. This is what I have heard from friends who live in the area. They said they have had people knock on their door, pointing out that it should be used for a single dwelling, just like the surrounding homes. This person lives 5 minutes walking from the location and said they wouldn’t sign anything because it doesn’t affect them personally.

PEI just passed a law that would limit complaints to only those who are affected by a development ie. next too it. I think this should become common practice to limit people from collecting signatures from all over when it would never have an affect on those people.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 5:11 PM

And that is just unfortunate and surprising that council is letting that happen. This is a privately owned lot and not a public park. A 15m wide mature trees buffer on the rear side is a lot of privacy, even in winter.

Just thinking about it, and not sure the lot is wide enough, but if the developer puts a road in to form a cul de sac with SFH on each side, I would think all of the trees will have to go. So the rowhouse development actually gives them more privacy than SFHs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 3:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage has been installed on the new Kent in Findlay Park.

Infinity Aerials photo

The store will likely open sometime next month. Inventory clearance signs are up in their old location on Coverdale Road. That store is being put up for sale.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 2:02 PM

There's a proposal to rezone the lot next to TransAqua to allow a drive-thru and service station. The elevations shows Tim Hortons and a Shell service station.

https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19332

That's part of the land that was previously meant for the 3rd crossing over the river.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorth View Post
There's a proposal to rezone the lot next to TransAqua to allow a drive-thru and service station. The elevations shows Tim Hortons and a Shell service station.

https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19332

That's part of the land that was previously meant for the 3rd crossing over the river.
Very interesting.

I will post the render later (currently at work).

A Timmies on Hillsborough Road would undoubtedly be popular, but it escapes me why they are still building service stations since it will be illegal to sell new ICE vehicles in only 11 years. They had better plan on having a large bank of chargers available for EVs. Riverview PAC and town council should actually make that inquiry.

As for the "third crossing", I believe the province made this ROW redundant the previous year. I think the idea of a bridge here has been canned. If they ever do build a third crossing, I think it will be further downstream in the vicinity of Dover Road or Melanson Road (Dieppe).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces