HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
We’ve been hearing rumors that the Fairmont is up for sale. This isn’t out of the ordinary, necessarily; as an asset, a hotel can change hands without interfering with operations really at all. We’ve also heard, though, that the flag might be on the block as well; there’re suggestions that the folks that matter at the current brand aren’t happy with the finished product.

To me that’s not all that surprising, for reasons that we’ve all mostly discussed. But it’s worth watching this space .... this is one of the rumors that feels like it has legs.

IMHO, it’s a Grand Hyatt in waiting. Runner up is a Curio by Hilton. Virtually no chance it will be a member of the Marriott family.
Circling back on my brand prediction here. I still think it's going to ditch the Fairmont flag, but now think Signia Hilton is even money vs. Grand Hyatt.

Hilton just launched Signia a month ago as its JW-killer -- they will be large meeting hotels at a price point just above the flagship Hilton brand. Luxury trappings, focus on technology and food and beverage. Their first one will be a new build in Atlanta, 1000 rooms attached to a new wing of the World Congress Center.

I mean . . . look familiar?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:09 PM
Meh

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:38 AM

Sorry but that looks more like a Klingon Bird-of-prey to me. I've seen better looking longhorns on the hood of a Cadilac after a head on collision.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:41 AM

Lighting is almost always disappointing on the Fairmont roof, but business appears to be booming most nights based on the number of rooms that appear to be occupied. The room windows are all almost always ablaze with light at night. Is business really that good?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Lighting is almost always disappointing on the Fairmont roof, but business appears to be booming most nights based on the number of rooms that appear to be occupied. The room windows are all almost always ablaze with light at night. Is business really that good?
I can't speak for the Fairmont, but it's definitely good for my hotel. Austin's still as popular as it's ever been . . .

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:09 PM

Anyone notice the rainbow lights last night? Looks like they finally figured out how to do multicolor. Looked pretty sweet! I wonder if it's rainbow for Pride Month. Would be great to see other buildings downtown do the same.

I'll try to upload a picture soon.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Anyone notice the rainbow lights last night? Looks like they finally figured out how to do multicolor. Looked pretty sweet! I wonder if it's rainbow for Pride Month. Would be great to see other buildings downtown do the same.

I'll try to upload a picture soon.
No, apparently I'm not allowed to see the building when it's colored differently. Were the lights moving? Because if not then they haven't learned how to use the system. Static lighting is the most basic thing the system can do.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
No, apparently I'm not allowed to see the building when it's colored differently. Were the lights moving? Because if not then they haven't learned how to use the system. Static lighting is the most basic thing the system can do.
THey weren't moving but they were very randomized in a pattern I had never seen before.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:09 PM
Meh

Quote:
Kmack posted the link to The Quincy construction cam, and that angle also captures the Fairmont crown. If you shift through the times, you can see that they are changing patterns/colors. The mechanical screen up there has a sort of Close Encounters of the Third Kind "light panel" thing going on.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/endeavor/redrivertower

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Kmack posted the link to The Quincy construction cam, and that angle also captures the Fairmont crown. If you shift through the times, you can see that they are changing patterns/colors. The mechanical screen up there has a sort of Close Encounters of the Third Kind "light panel" thing going on.

Thank you! Yes it was definitely Close-encounters-esque - although as I was driving by the colors didn't appear to be changing, but maybe they were changing very slowly. Would be cool to see some rapid color changes. And in the pics it looks like just purple and blue lights, but there were definitely lights of all the colors of the rainbow up there - blue, purple, red, orange, yellow, green etc.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:37 AM

From the Qunicy cam

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 12:58 PM

It is nice to see that butt ugly hind quarter (facing south, major street) of the otherwise very respectable hotel has nice lighting at night. At night it looks respectable. Too bad they didn't install shape-shifting panels on that north side. Then we could have enjoyed that part of the building during the day as well. Not that $$$ nor technology is an issue. I am thinking out of the white box we got, and get to look at all day long. Otherwise, great edifice.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 4:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Well it's about damn time. Now they just need to figure out how to light the rings on the spire.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
...Now they just need to figure out how to light the rings on the spire.

Yes! That thing will continue to be useless unless it becomes part of a nightly light show.

On another note, I can't think of a single other completed project thread that continued to get posts like this one. Most of that is due to sloppy construction and poor execution of the lighting capabilities. I have seen several permits this year related to things like flooding and mold remediation. It must be fun being the hotel manager.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 4:06 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I seriously must be cursed, finally got to look at the lighting and it was boring blue again. Not sure what they were doing before but even the above pick wasn't really rainbow colors. I'll take those who saw it for their word but I feel like this is some sort of demented joke on me or something because this happens every time lol.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 3:48 PM
Meh

The Fairmont had the rainbow lights on last night for pride weekend, but I noticed the light weren't in the crown, they were in the rooms on the top floor.

https://www.facebook.com/KVUEinsider...28439314065769.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The Fairmont had the rainbow lights on last night for pride weekend, but I noticed the light weren't in the crown, they were in the rooms on the top floor.

https://www.facebook.com/KVUEinsider...28439314065769.
I saw it last night and it looked great. Hopefully this is a sign that they'll continue to do more unique lighting schemes.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 7:55 PM
Meh

And, of course, you can see the lights on the Quincy construction cam.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 3:16 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I saw it last night and it looked great. Hopefully this is a sign that they'll continue to do more unique lighting schemes.
Here's the thing... The fact that they had to light the top row below the actual lighting means that they still have no clue how to work the building's extensive lighting features. This is something that I was told by a customer of mine that works at the Fairmont. It's pretty pathetic that they spent that kind of money and nobody is actually in charge of lighting or that they didn't train anyone on how to operate it.

By the way. They were in the Pride Parade lastnight. Even had a float of the Fairmont which was actually pretty sweet. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:04 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Here's a shot of Fairmont the other night from my balcony.

Austin during Pride Week by Gabriel Gutierrez, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin