HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
This looks like the origional stripped of the radome and broadcasting equipment. It is literally the skeleton of the origional plan. That is like if i were building you a house and handed you the keys after the framing inspection. "welcome home"

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 7:36 PM

I don't want to quote Otie's render again, but won't the circular steel levels eventually be hidden behind broadcasting equipment? Assuming that they sell or rent that space out... Or am I completely misunderstanding everything?

The antenna is pretty awful though. At the very least, I'd like something more along the lines of Bank of America, as opposed to 4 TS or the POS shown.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 7:36 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
This antenna looks like it came straight out of the wastelands of Soviet Russia. Poor New York!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
Actually the whole building, regardless of what sort of toothpick they stick on top of it, is an exemplar of the unchecked greed of Wall Street that drove the country to ruin in 2008. Soulless and charmless, without a leavening speck of creativity or humanity, it will be speak, sadly, to our era, even as the Empire State building, the Chrysler Building and the Woolworth building spoke (boisterously and joyously and optimistically) to their eras, eras when America's best days lay ahead and not in the rear-view mirror.
You hit the nail on the head...

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionDay2012 View Post
This looks like the origional stripped of the radome and broadcasting equipment. It is literally the skeleton of the origional plan. That is like if i were building you a house and handed you the keys after the framing inspection. "welcome home"
The rendering I just viewed from an A.P. article is even worse than this pic. It looks like some old Eastern European Antenna. I'd rather see no Antenna than this.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
The rendering I just viewed from an A.P. article is even worse than this pic. It looks like some old Eastern European Antenna. I'd rather see no Antenna than this.
Already saw this rendering, but it is bigger and is in more detail so I am going to post it again. Can't zoom in any closer.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:13 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I'm also at a loss for words...

I had some earlier, but they involved something rather unspeakable toward Durst... So I deleted it...

Last edited by Jonboy1983; May 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM. Reason: delete initial posting

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:18 PM

The only saving grace for is a lest in my opinion 1 wtc design is still a beautiful building to me but, my god that f***king antenna !

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:19 PM

My god that is ugly...I will wait to see the real thing but honestly the render looks bad. The ring is even worse than the antenna...they could have at least kept it the same.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:19 PM
DENNAB

This is interesting,

The CTBUH just changed it from 1374 back to 1776, I wouldn't get my hopes up but...

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/new-...ade-center/98/

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:29 PM

Someone please tell me they aren't building that ugly antenna instead of the spire. That Childs will make a new design that its just as good as the original spire.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:41 PM

Thumbs down Sad

I dont get when shit like this happens, it just became Ny's tallest and it will only stay that way. Now it won't even be tallest in America. This pisses me off.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:52 PM

Hi everyone, i have a question to ask. I was wondering for the past 2 years how much will Tower 1 WTC will weigh when completed?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:54 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTallNews...B/Default.aspx

Questions on One World Trade Center Height

May 10, 2012

Quote:
Changes to the design of the top of One World Trade Center have raised questions about the ultimate height of the tower, which is currently planned as the tallest building in North America.

As first reported by the New York Times, the Durst Organization has removed the cladding for the structure on top of the tower, which may change the calculation of the building’s ultimate height. Based on preliminary information, it is unclear whether the remaining structure will be included in the final measurement, which could cut several hundred feet off the building’s official architectural height.

The result was a wave of articles and calls to the CTBUH, which is widely regarded as the arbiter of height measurements and the lists of tallest buildings in the world. The Wall Street Journal, New York Post, New York Daily News and Associated Press covered the story.

In response the CTBUH has released an official statement:
We are aware that changes have been announced to the design of the structure on top of One World Trade Center, which may affect the final height measurement for the building. We understand that sculptural cladding has been removed, which will change the structure.

One World Trade Center, which is still under construction, is currently listed in the CTBUH’s Skyscraper Center at an anticipated height to “architectural top” of 1,776 feet. This includes the structure described in the materials previously provided by the architect as a spire. A spire is typically a permanent structure and part of the architecture and artistic expression of the building.

The CTBUH includes spires in its height measurement to “architectural top,” the primary category in ranking the tallest buildings in the world. But antennas, masts, water towers and other functional-technical structures – which often are not designed by the architect of the building and change according to prevalent technologies – are not included in the height measurement to the architectural top. However, they are included in measurements to the architectural “tip,” a secondary category tracked by the CTBUH. Definitions can be found on the CTBUH website at www.CTBUH.org.

At this point, since the building is far from completion, there is no final determination on the height of One World Trade Center. A final determination will be made by the CTBUH Technical Height Committee based on analysis of the drawings and other information submitted by the building owner, development and consultant team. Building designs often change during construction and final ratification of the height and formal recognition on the list of 100 Tallest Completed Building in the World occur after the building is officially completed and application details submitted.

Over 40 years the CTBUH has developed detailed criteria for measuring the height of buildings, which are internationally recognized in the industry. Any disputes are resolved by the CTBUH Height Committee - a panel of industry experts specifically set up for this purpose.

For more data on One World Trade Center and thousands of tall buildings around the world, including tallest rankings, visit The Skyscraper Center (www.skyscrapercenter.com)

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:03 PM

^^^
So from now until they complete it they could think of a new design or go with the original design?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domamania View Post
Hi everyone, i have a question to ask. I was wondering for the past 2 years how much will Tower 1 WTC will weigh when completed?
It's probably going to be around 200,000 tons, or 400,000,000 pounds.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:31 PM
World Machine

The CTBUH is dancing around the obvious with that statement - anything could change, however barring a change from where this currently stands I don't see how the antenna will be factored into the final height (short of CTBUH contradicting themselves as a result of pressure).

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:38 PM

So is it basically set in stone that the stripped bare antenna is going to be what we will get now? Or is there any possibility of a middle-ground? Something that would be easier to maintain (for Durst's rationale) while staying true to SOM's design? Or is this basically what we are getting now. So no beacon either? Im just confused, is this all speculation or is this new (bad) design going to be what we will get? If so, why not just add a couple hundred feet making it 1500 or 1600 feet, just a smidge taller? There have been skyscrapers in the past that tweaked things at the last minute, so why not 1wtc? I just have a feeling that maybe the dye isn't totally cast yet as far as the final product??

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:47 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_0414 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

I love the skeleton of this building......

DSC_0415 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:48 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
So is it basically set in stone that the stripped bare antenna is going to be what we will get now? Or is there any possibility of a middle-ground? Something that would be easier to maintain (for Durst's rationale) while staying true to SOM's design? Or is this basically what we are getting now. So no beacon either? Im just confused, is this all speculation or is this new (bad) design going to be what we will get? If so, why not just add a couple hundred feet making it 1500 or 1600 feet, just a smidge taller? There have been skyscrapers in the past that tweaked things at the last minute, so why not 1wtc? I just have a feeling that maybe the dye isn't totally cast yet as far as the final product??

due to the buildings tapering it would be virtually impossible for more roof height to be added without it looking freakishly awful.

I have a feeling this is set in stone, I don't know why there isn't an enfuriated uprise by the architects.

The CTBUH had the official (architectural height) listed as 1374 feet and changed it back to 1776, I don't know what that means but I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive