HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 3:57 AM

According to an employee at the Willow Grove location, Lush is supposed to be coming back to Walnut in a bigger location. Wonder if it's true and where it will be.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 11:24 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Figs is legit. It’s like the Mercedes of scrubs very popular in the medical field
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Seconding this. They're going to do great here, even if it's a little niche for Walnut. I wouldn't be so down on it
As reported by PBJ: Health care apparel brand Figs, known for its stylish scrubs, to open store in Rittenhouse Square | PBJ
Excerpts:
The brand refers to its retail locations as "community hubs" because they serve a dual purpose. These outposts sell Figs products and act as a space for health care professionals to connect and be celebrated and empowered through programming, according to a representative for the company.

Figs' first community hub is expected to open in Los Angeles' Century City shopping center in September. The company pointed to Philadelphia's status as a leader in health care education and employment as the reason the brand selected the city for one of its earliest stores.

Figs' forthcoming Rittenhouse Square community hub consists of more than 3,100 square feet on the ground floor and a 1,200-square-foot mezzanine, allowing plenty of room for the brand to host programming for the health care community, according to a representative for Figs. It will be located within two miles of major health care facilities operated by Jefferson Health, the University of Pennsylvania Health System, Temple Health System and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 8:51 PM
Creative Ambitions

I still cannot wrap my head around people saying Walnut is lacking in stores or luxury, I've been walking around Rittenhouse & Walnut for weeks now vacancy is at at least 95%, the vibe is great, its clean, its busy, people are dining & shopping its a very high notch strip.

Yea a Louie or Hermes store would be a nice touch, but currently the strip has many good options, and there's no lack of money In the area.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I still cannot wrap my head around people saying Walnut is lacking in stores or luxury, I've been walking around Rittenhouse & Walnut for weeks now vacancy is at at least 95%, the vibe is great, its clean, its busy, people are dining & shopping its a very high notch strip.

Yea a Louie or Hermes store would be a nice touch, but currently the strip has many good options, and there's no lack of money In the area.
Oh come on…

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 11:58 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Oh come on…
What?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 12:41 AM

Quote:
What?
I think most of us agree that Walnut has turned a corner over the last few years but to make it out as some of kind urban couture luxury retail enclave is a stretch. It’s just not in the same league as a Post, Rodeo, Oak/Michigan Ave, Newbury, 5th Ave etc.

The last discussion here was that it’s probably best not to expect it to reach that level anytime soon.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:09 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
I think most of us agree that Walnut has turned a corner over the last few years but to make it out as some of kind urban couture luxury retail enclave is a stretch. It’s just not in the same league as a Post, Rodeo, Oak/Michigan Ave, Newbury, 5th Ave etc.

The last discussion here was that it’s probably best not to expect it to reach that level anytime soon.
$500 suits isn't a high class strip? Maybe im in the lower class but an average Joe isn't coughing up $500 dollars on a suit for a regular day at work.

https://www.rag-bone.com/womens/new-arrivals/

$200 for a button up? Yea I buy those everyday.

Let's not let "Luxury brands" distort our view of what high class or luxury is in a city, it isn't one thing, it's multiple.

I don't know how many luxury corridors are smack dap next to million dollar condos & brownstones, so yes it is a Luxury retail enclave & area.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:12 AM

Quote:
$500 suits isn't a high class strip? Maybe im in the lower class but an average Joe isn't coughing up $500 dollars on a suit for a regular day at work.

https://www.rag-bone.com/womens/new-arrivals/

$200 for a button up? Yea I buy those everyday.

Let's not let "Luxury brands" distort our view of what high class or luxury is in a city, it isn't one thing, it's multiple.

I don't know how many luxury corridors are smack dap next to million dollar condos & brownstones, so yes it is a Luxury retail enclave & area.
Ya, no offense but you may not get it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:24 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Ya, no offense but you may not get it.
Sure, I'm coming up from the bottom so luxury items aren't my forte yet, I'll have to keep on experiencing.

So far Rittenhouse & Walnut are my highpoint, and ill be happy to keep on elevating.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:37 PM
Chris

I usually love retail talks, but the Walnut St retail debate is getting old...

Figs, Alo Yoga, and Aritzia are coming soon, let's leave it at that for now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 5:28 PM

Quote:
ZP-2023-002922 3401 GRAYS FERRY AVE, Philadelphia, PA 19146-2701 TRUSTEES OF UNIVERSITY, OF PENNSYLVANIA

The demolition of (7) existing building and the construction of a 10-story above ground parking garage with 858 total parking spaces.
Wonder if this means we'll see a big expansion at Pennovation Works soon.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Fingers crossed.

Could also just be overflow or parking for employees. They'll clearly be running shuttles back and forth.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Seems like they do have a bldg for 3401, so hopefully it's for this.

https://pennovation.upenn.edu/sites/...%20Final_1.pdf

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 12:45 AM

Arrow

Quote:

Most people don't care about that. I want a nice healthy street with nice active businesses. Everytime I'm in that area it looks great and is packed with people.

I could not care less about luxury brands. I'm not shopping at figs or Hermes so it doesn't really matter much to me personally. But I assume more Philadelphians would shop at figs than hermes, so, sounds good to me.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Most people don't care about that. I want a nice healthy street with nice active businesses. Everytime I'm in that area it looks great and is packed with people.

I could not care less about luxury brands. I'm not shopping at figs or Hermes so it doesn't really matter much to me personally. But I assume more Philadelphians would shop at figs than hermes, so, sounds good to me.
Ok good for you.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 1:44 AM

I agree with PHLtoNYC. Honestly, I don’t know why people are regurgitating points that have been hashed out over and over again on here for the last few years. Go back to previous pages if you’re very late in giving your two cents to this topic. Sorry for being snippy. I get annoyed with beating dead horses lately lol

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:23 AM

Quote:
I agree with PHLtoNYC. Honestly, I don’t know why people are regurgitating points that have been hashed out over and over again on here for the last few years. Go back to previous pages if you’re very late in giving your two cents to this topic. Sorry for being snippy. I get annoyed with beating dead horses lately lol
You're not wrong. One Rag & Bone or Vince does not a luxury strip make. But nor does it need to be one. In Philadelphia luxury is not very on-brand anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
You're not wrong. One Rag & Bone or Vince does not a luxury strip make. But nor does it need to be one. In Philadelphia luxury is not very on-brand anyway.
Look guys, CC is changing. Rittenhouse is adding more residents and high income residential - most newcomers aren’t native Philadelphians. Also, there isn’t some magical forcefield between CC and KOP.

As the general consensus here as been for years, the reason for the state of Walnut is mostly due to KOP.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 11:23 AM

We've had this discussion plenty of times and I think there's two important aspects that generally get looked over in terms of luxury retail:
1. It's a symptom of success. It's not a cause for success. There's no magic wand waving that gets high income earners to come shop your street.
2. related and the second part: a lot of shoppers in these stores are international and/or long-distance tourists. Meaning these people have made a conscience decision to come and spend money. When you look at Philly's international tourist counts, it's always been sorely lacking.

Anyway, there was a moment in 2020 when I truly believed the city was going to be screwed for years to come, but it's 2023, and Walnut's retail has bounced back fine. The street is lively and vibrant most of the time. It would be good to see a new restaurant open at the old Alma de Cuba space.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 1:51 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
We've had this discussion plenty of times and I think there's two important aspects that generally get looked over in terms of luxury retail:
1. It's a symptom of success. It's not a cause for success. There's no magic wand waving that gets high income earners to come shop your street.
2. related and the second part: a lot of shoppers in these stores are international and/or long-distance tourists. Meaning these people have made a conscience decision to come and spend money. When you look at Philly's international tourist counts, it's always been sorely lacking.

Anyway, there was a moment in 2020 when I truly believed the city was going to be screwed for years to come, but it's 2023, and Walnut's retail has bounced back fine. The street is lively and vibrant most of the time. It would be good to see a new restaurant open at the old Alma de Cuba space.
Related to development, since that beer garden is a bust, that hole needs to be filled in ASAP. A great spot for a tall boutique hotel or more apartments with retail is cool too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development