HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 11:15 PM

The remaining space would include loading docks, public areas (hallways, registration areas, other amenities), catering / kitchens, commercial space (eg shops/restaurants, office/admin), etc..

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass View Post

The remaining space would include loading docks, public areas (hallways, registration areas, other amenities), catering / kitchens, commercial space (eg shops/restaurants, office/admin), etc..
Precisely.

I've seen most of the backend of the convention centre, and there's an incredible amount of non-functional space in the facility.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 5:04 PM
Dig-it

You guys are counting only the SF behind closed doors, but in reality most if not all of the bigger conventions spill out and use most if not all of the mezzanine/concourse/hallway space as well for their functions.

If the weather allows, the outside areas are also incorporated into and used as convention space, such as the upper levels next to the Orca.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
You guys are counting only the SF behind closed doors, but in reality most if not all of the bigger conventions spill out and use most if not all of the mezzanine/concourse/hallway space as well for their functions.

If the weather allows, the outside areas are also incorporated into and used as convention space, such as the upper levels next to the Orca.
Yes, they do use that space. But more often than not that's where registration and delegate services are located, or large rows computer kiosks, or merchandise sales, etc.

You'll never have a full blown conference event happening in the mezzaine/concourse/hallway, with the exception of the big mezzaine to the West Ballrooms next to Jack Poole Plaza.

Some weddings also use the north hallways for dinners, where there are huge windows facing the mountains and harbour.

But again, this is only for a few select type of events.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 11:40 PM

Photo credit: me

Friday noon - two trailers demolished, two to go.

I'd forgotten that there was completed seawall under the trailer village, which has now been revealed. You can see in the second picture that the gap between the existing seawall and the new convention centre seawall isn't that large.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 12:40 AM
Dig-it

Esta la vista trailer park.
Thanks, you made my day

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 3:05 AM

They should salt the earth to make sure that they don't come back.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 4:20 AM

Tuesday, site all clear except for one trailer. Construction workers still on site.

The gap between old and new isn't that big.

Now the view into the convention centre is exposed for the first time in years.

All structures were supposed to be removed by the 15th. Maybe they left the one trailer there to support the construction upcoming to connect the old bit of the seawall with the new bit? Just a theory.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

Tuesday, site all clear except for one trailer. Construction workers still on site.

The gap between old and new isn't that big.

Now the view into the convention centre is exposed for the first time in years.

All structures were supposed to be removed by the 15th. Maybe they left the one trailer there to support the construction upcoming to connect the old bit of the seawall with the new bit? Just a theory.
I think, though not sure, the original plans for this gap in the convention centre were to allow for a restaurant.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 10:20 PM

the gap might be able to house a hot dog cart but not a restaurant its not that big

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 12:56 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The plan is still for a new Harbour Green restaurant the plans were approved and posted on this forum years ago.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 7:11 AM

i thought the gap everyone is referring to is the 5 feet or less between the seawalls... that needs to be completed - basically where the tree and orange things are in the one pic

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i thought the gap everyone is referring to is the 5 feet or less between the seawalls... that needs to be completed - basically where the tree and orange things are in the one pic
The "gap" would be referring to the massive view of the innards of the convention centre, seen in Jimbo604's photo (they most certainly won't leave this eyesore as is, nor was this ever planned in the beginning). It should be enough space to fit a decent-sized restaurant.

In this photo you can also see how far out the restaurant will go (look at the staircase to the left):

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 4:21 PM
Reason and Freedom

A great location for an amazing patio. Let's hope they do it right.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 10:26 PM

they would need to keep the connection open to the elevator and parkade though - i am usually too lazy to use the stairs so I always take the elevator up

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The plan is still for a new Harbour Green restaurant the plans were approved and posted on this forum years ago.
Can you provide a link to this post or to the plans?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 7:59 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Strange it was easier to dig up the report on the city's crappy search engine then on here.

Development Permit issued.
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...20DE412233.pdf

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 5:33 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

Strange it was easier to dig up the report on the city's crappy search engine then on here.

Development Permit issued.
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...20DE412233.pdf
Interesting plan. I think the big screen wall along the stairs is a mistake. For one, it will cast a shadow on the restaurant's own rooftop patio. Also, the lack of significant patio space at the seawall level is a very bad idea. A single row of tables hidden behind a planter will squander the buzz and vibe that a real patio could bring to the seawall (and, conversely, the buzz and vibe that the seawall traffic could bring to the patio).

Unfortunately, it also appears that there is no intention of truly connecting the convention centre's seawall seamlessly to the older Coal Harbour seawall in one smooth arc. It looks like they are going to pretty much leave the two walls as they are. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited by Prometheus; Nov 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 5:57 PM

Quote:
No they will continue using the old docks until the end of the year accessed via a relocated ramp.

See here for image
http://former.vancouver.ca/devapps/1...ont/phase1.pdf
The city has removed this and the whole application from it's website for some reason before the project is complete.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 6:42 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Because it's no longer an application, it was issued a development permit. It's now up to the parks board if and when they proceed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver