HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 3:31 PM

The article is in today's Moncton newspaper.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 11:37 PM

The property at 391 Coverdale Rd (chocolate river station and the vacant lot) sold Dec 14th for $1.1mil.

The Luxe Salon at Chocolate River has announced they're not closing and the Chocolate River Station is their forever home.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 12:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, I was just coming here to post something to this effect.

A good source of mine just contacted me to tell me that The Current is dead, dead, dead, and, that the Chocolate River Station will not be subject to the wrecking ball at all. My source didn't say anything about the sale (which incidentally confirms his rumour), but, did say the a long term lease was to be signed with Holy Whale as a long term resident of the resurrected Chocolate River Station.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 12:54 AM

Lawyer Robert Smith has bought it under the name Chocolate River Station LTD. A post is up on the Holy Whale Beer Hall page. Seems to be some kind of partnership between Smith & the owners of the Holy Whale.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 2:08 AM

From Facebook/Holy Whale Beer Hall and Garden:

BIG NEWS!
We are very happy to announce that Holy Whale Brewing Corp. (Jeff and Pete Grandy) is teaming up with Robert Smith of Chocolate River Station Ltd. in a new venture that will ensure that Holy Whale will remain at the Chocolate River Station for many years to come and more importantly, the building will not be torn down and will remain a historic staple within The @townofriverview
The incredible support that we've received from folks at the beer hall, the bowling alley and our Alma brewery have played a major role in allowing this to happen. We can't thank you enough!
More news to come...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 3:25 AM

There's enough room in the vacant lot immediately to the west for a building with a 20,000 sf ground floor.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
There's enough room in the vacant lot immediately to the west for a building with a 20,000 sf ground floor.
Just dont make it more than 2 floors or the pitchforks will be coming out.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 12:16 PM

I am glad that the building is getting a new lease on life. I think that partnership will serve it well. In recent years it has become a defacto entertainment hub of Riverview. I am excited to see where it goes.

One has to wonder about the future of Thrive or the direction it is going. I am still wondering why "The Tides" building (A Thrive property) isn't being leased up yet. It appears to be complete. What gives there?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 2:40 PM

It's hard to figure out what's going on with Thrive Properties. I thought that they were selling off excess land to accumulate more cash, as opposed to sitting on the properties and paying the property taxes. They had so many projects planned that it seemed to make sense.

But they seem to be selling just about everything they can, including income generating assets. There's obviously a restructuring happening - So I hope that they keep on building. They were one of the major developers in the greater Moncton area.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 3:00 PM

Just to note, Robert Smith was the Vice President/Partner in Thrive Properties from Sept. 2019 to March 2023.

He is also the owner of Colpitts Men’s wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Lawyer Robert Smith has bought it under the name Chocolate River Station LTD. A post is up on the Holy Whale Beer Hall page. Seems to be some kind of partnership between Smith & the owners of the Holy Whale.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 3:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Just to note, Robert Smith was the Vice President/Partner in Thrive Properties from Sept. 2019 to March 2023.
An interesting turn of events.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 22, 2023 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post

He is also the owner of Colpitts Men’s wear.
Being the former VP of Thrive Properties, I wonder if Robert Smith would contemplate doing a building project of his own? There is a large chunk of land immediately abutting the Chocolate River Station (west) that was a part of the sale.

I remember that Thrive had done testing on the land and determined that there would be no problem to do underground parking.

Wouldn't that be a turn of events if he decided to develop this land!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 6:09 PM

What a bizarre turn of events for Thrive and The Current...very curious to see how all this dust settles.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 6:12 PM

It would be a fantastic use of that vacant land to build a 6-story residential "tower" that would appeal to those who would shop at the building next door. Kind of like a mini Junction Urban Village that is in Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 5:51 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Riverview had $33M worth of building permits in 2023
More than 1,000 housing units have been constructed in Riverview since 2017, with almost 75 per cent being multi-residential units, townhouses, or rowhouses
Author of the article:Alan Cochrane
Published Jan 15, 2024 • 2 minute read
https://tj.news/moncton-miramichi/ri...ermits-in-2023 (paywall)

The Tides, T&T photo

Quote:
Residential construction led the way with $22 million in permits. It said 49 permits were for new housing projects valued at over $11 million, and another 11 permits were awarded for new multi-residential projects valued at over $11.8 million.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 6:07 PM

375 Units [3 x 6 storeys (125 Units)] proposal on the Town's former Operation Centre location by Icon Developments.

https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19280

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorth View Post
375 Units [3 x 6 storeys (125 Units)] proposal on the Town's former Operation Centre location by Icon Developments.

That is a major development for riverview and it will be the biggest buildings in riverview

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorth View Post

That is a significant proposal by a legitimate developer. The NIMBYs shouldn't have much to argue about since the buildings aren't "lurking" over neighbouring houses, instead facing the streets.

Hopefully, this will finally get the town to pave that end of Whitepine. It has been an awful stretch of road for years!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 7:07 PM

I can imagine the neighbours raising the usual objections anyway - traffic, privacy etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces