Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:25 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
You must really hate Vancouver.
Oh hi there

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 3:29 PM

Canadians fire coach Claude Julien and the assistant coach Kirk Muller.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...t-kirk-muller/

Brilliant move, that should do it!

In 9 years of mediocre Montreal Canadians teams, there's been one common denominator, and that's Marc Bergevin. How the heck hasn't he been fired yet?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 3:30 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Oh hi there

I totally missed that. I really didn't think they would be this bad defensively. They are making Edmonton look downright stingy on defense.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Well, probably why Button isn't a GM for any NHL team lol.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 5:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In 9 years of mediocre Montreal Canadians teams, there's been one common denominator, and that's Marc Bergevin. How the heck hasn't he been fired yet?
Who do you replace him with?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 5:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think we're actually pretty lucky to have had someone like Dominique Ducharme waiting in the wings.

I mean, Canada still doesn't even have a new GG!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Chiarelli is an Ottawa guy. I’m sure he’d take the job since it’s so close to home.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:02 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Well, probably why Button isn't a GM for any NHL team lol.
Were those the "35% of the way through the season" predictions or the whole season predictions?

Anyway, congratulations on winning 4 games.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Someone qualified chosen through a rigorous interview process? Same way the next coach and assistant coach will be found (hopefully).

I looked up recent head coaches of the Canadians and was reminded that they are not fired willy-nilly anytime something goes wrong, which is the case in Ottawa. Often times, firing the coach is seen as the magic bullet that will fix everything without looking deeper into the team's issues. That's a positive for Montreal, but the GM should be, and should have been, fired a long time ago IMO.

In the case of Ottawa, we're a budget team and it seems the owner often decides who stays and who goes, which explains why Dorion is still around. Ottawa needs a rebuild from the top down, and that starts with the owner.

Unfortunately for us, only the Board of Governors can fire the owner, and that's not going to happen.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws
Chiarelli is an Ottawa guy. I’m sure he’d take the job since it’s so close to home.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Quote:
Someone qualified chosen through a rigorous interview process? Same way the next coach and assistant coach will be found (hopefully).
The next coach has already been chosen - Ducharme. He's been in the wings ever since he was appointed as an assistant.

My question was genuine, though.

Quote:
I looked up recent head coaches of the Canadians and was reminded that they are not fired willy-nilly anytime something goes wrong, which is the case in Ottawa.
Because Montreal's coaches require a specific ability which is not required in any other market in the NHL. Unlike, say, twenty years ago, there isn't exactly a plethora of coaches with 'French' on their CVs these days. Even fewer for General Managers. That's why Bergevin is still employed, and why the Habs have a merry-go-round of Therrien and Julien behind the bench. Ducharme will surely be an improvement over the old guard. With this requirement we can narrow down GM candidates to replace Bergevin pretty swiftly, unless the Molsons want to go off the board.

Quote:
In the case of Ottawa, we're a budget team and it seems the owner often decides who stays and who goes, which explains why Dorion is still around. Ottawa needs a rebuild from the top down, and that starts with the owner.
It's clear that Dorion is willing to put up with whatever nonsense crosses Melnyk's mind on any given day. I doubt there'd be many others willing to do this, and even fewer if they saw what Melnyk is presumably paying (spoiler: not a lot).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:10 AM

Quote:

Because Montreal's coaches require a specific ability which is not required in any other market in the NHL. Unlike, say, twenty years ago, there isn't exactly a plethora of coaches with 'French' on their CVs these days. Even fewer for General Managers. That's why Bergevin is still employed, and why the Habs have a merry-go-round of Therrien and Julien behind the bench. Ducharme will surely be an improvement over the old guard. With this requirement we can narrow down GM candidates to replace Bergevin pretty swiftly, unless the Molsons want to go off the board.
Most successful Habs GM - Sam Pollock

Most successful Habs coach - Toe Blake/Scotty Bowman

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:14 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think we're actually pretty lucky to have had someone like Dominique Ducharme waiting in the wings.

I mean, Canada still doesn't even have a new GG!
The recently retired GG ticks all the boxes for the sort of tough taskmaster this very soft team apparently needs.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:15 AM
Starring as himself

It kind of was like having John Tortorella as Governor General, actually.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:16 AM

Quote:
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

The next coach has already been chosen - Ducharme. He's been in the wings ever since he was appointed as an assistant.

My question was genuine, though.

I missed the part where they already hired a new coach. Thanks for pointing thgat out.

I somehow hadn't thought of the language issue. Ultimately though, that is a major obstacle to a successful team if the GM and coaches have to speak French. What's more important to fans; a successful team or a senior staff that speak the language? Montrealers have embraced non French speaking players over the years, so why not a GM that can build a competitive team?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:55 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Most successful Habs GM - Sam Pollock

Most successful Habs coach - Toe Blake/Scotty Bowman
Bowman was 'bilingual' and was selected as coach partially due to that reason and also because the team's previous coach, Al MacNeil, was accused of favouring Anglophone players and was unilingual.

Quote:
I missed the part where they already hired a new coach. Thanks for pointing thgat out.
Ducharme is interim for the rest of the season which is more-or-less code for he has the job beyond that unless something disastrous happens. From what i've read and seen I have no reason to believe he'll be any worse than Julien and will likely be an improvement. Lots of dead weight on the roster, though, thanks to the type of player Julien liked.

Quote:
I somehow hadn't thought of the language issue. Ultimately though, that is a major obstacle to a successful team if the GM and coaches have to speak French. What's more important to fans; a successful team or a senior staff that speak the language? Montrealers have embraced non French speaking players over the years, so why not a GM that can build a competitive team?
This article from SN, written in 2012, is very good and still applicable today:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/de...-empire-joyce/

Particularly relevant are the sections on Houle, Tremblay, and Corey, and the Habs' inability to hire capable staff. Also relevant is the section on the Habs' inability to sign Quebecers after the 1990s.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:28 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Joseph Hector "Toe" Blake was a Franco-Ontarian from Sudbury in Northern Ontario.

I once had family members of his as neighbours.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 5:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

So I guess Montreal has the prettiest coach in the NHL now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It kind of was like having John Tortorella as Governor General, actually.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Going out on a limb here, but is it simply the case that the Habs need someone to feed the media beast with interviews, quotes, comments and such? If the players can't do it then I suppose you need at least a coach or GM to do that?

It reminds of me a bit of the Jets... not that there is much of a French sports media in Winnipeg, but I'm sure the sports reporters at Radio Canada TV and radio must have been popping open the champagne bottles when PLD was traded here which meant they no longer had to go to Mathieu Perreault for post game quotes every single night

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada