HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 9:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Landscaping for The Tides is now finished. This project is now essentially complete.

Next, will we actually see Thrive begin work on The Current, or is this ambitious project dead in the water?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 9:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is a large parcel of land in behind the new Kent store under construction in Findlay Park, on the NW corner of Gunningsville/Cleveland, which has had a large sign on it formerly saying either "property available for development", or, "property for sale", I forget which.

There is now a bright red banner draped over this sign proclaiming "under contract". I wonder what this means? I was aware of a rumour of a new retail plaza here. Does this mean construction is imminent?

Enquiring minds would like to know...........
I drove by there again this evening and noticed the development company mentioned on the sign is called Legacy Hills Developments.

They have a lot of land up there off Gunningsville available for development. The land in question off of Cleveland is listed as being "commercial", which goes along with a rumour I heard of a retail plaza possibly going in here.

Phase 1 is the Kent store, currently under construction.
Phase 2 is the commercial lot, currently listed as being "under contract", whatever that means.
Phase 3 is future development.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 17, 2023 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Landscaping for The Tides is now finished. This project is now essentially complete.

Next, will we actually see Thrive begin work on The Current, or is this ambitious project dead in the water?
That's a good question. It's hard to say what's going on with Thrive Properties; they've been selling off land recently. And then when Tier Too Properties purchased the old Bacci building, I noticed on their website that they listed West Royalty Suites in PEI under their residential tab. It surprised me, as this was a Thrive development.

So have they simply been making prudent financial decisions, or is it something else? I just don't know about The Current. It's a file that's been dragging on since 2019.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 12:07 AM

So I wouldn’t read to deep into Thrive. I at first thought the same thing, but a lot of companies are selling off properties and land. Killiam properties on PEI have been selling a lot and are doing the same in NB and NS. I don’t know what’s going to happen with The Current, but the fact they didn’t sell it is promising.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
So I wouldn’t read to deep into Thrive. I at first thought the same thing, but a lot of companies are selling off properties and land. Killiam properties on PEI have been selling a lot and are doing the same in NB and NS. I don’t know what’s going to happen with The Current, but the fact they didn’t sell it is promising.
I agree, I think they are selling things to be able to afford to built a big development like this. Since the price of everything has went up, they may not be able to afford to build everything they want to build, so instead are focusing on certain buildings. If they were able to sell west royalty suites, and get a big injection of cash, that would be good news for them.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 1:28 AM

The first thing I thought of when I saw that Thrive was selling land was that they were doing it to improve their financial position. They have so many future planned developments, so why not increase their cash holdings as opposed to sitting on vacant land and paying the property taxes.

I was surprised to see West Royalty Suites with another company, as no doubt it was a profitable development. But then again, maybe a big injection of cash will help Thrive with a bigger project, like Josh points out.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 3:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the agenda for the December 13th meeting of the Riverview PAC:

Quote:
a) Jeffrey Archibald, Moemar Homes, Whiterocks Dr (PID 05117650), Conditional use application - 1) to permit more than one building on a lot; and 2) to permit a multi-unit dwelling in an R3 zone; Variance application to increase the height of an accessory building from 3m to 4m to the underside of the eaves (Files 23-1599 and 23-1663).

b) Mario Leblanc, Lebson Holdings, 458 & 466 Pine Glen Rd (PIDs 05121207 and 05121215), Conditional use application to permit multi-unit dwellings in an R3 zone (File 23-1655).
Supporting documents have not yet been published, therefore we do not know yet exactly what the proposals are, but, these should be available within the week.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 4:20 PM

Quote:
From the agenda for the December 13th meeting of the Riverview PAC:

Supporting documents have not yet been published, therefore we do not know yet exactly what the proposals are, but, these should be available within the week.
The Momar PID corresponds to the NW corner of Bridgedale & Runnymeade. They there is a new street being built to access the site.

The other PID’s corespond to two lots on Pine Glen across from the RCMP & Fire Department.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 1:09 AM

Damascus Café on Coverdale Road is for sale!

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2011631

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Damascus Café on Coverdale Road is for sale!

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2011631
I'm pretty sure its been for sale for at least 5 years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I'm pretty sure its been for sale for at least 5 years.
Really? Wasn't aware of that. It's been around for quite a while, wonder why it hasn't sold.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:42 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The Momar PID corresponds to the NW corner of Bridgedale & Runnymeade. They there is a new street being built to access the site.

The other PID’s corespond to two lots on Pine Glen across from the RCMP & Fire Department.
Proposal #1 - Moemar (NW corner of Bridgedale & Runnymeade):

Quote:
The subject property is a large 9 acre undeveloped parcel (to be subdivided in the future) that will front on Whiterocks Dr, which is part of Unit 7 of the Carriage Hill neighbourhood. This phase of development is currently under construction and subject to a subdivision agreement with the Town of Riverview. The proposal is to construct a 55-unit apartment building in the first phase in 2024, with a 71-unit building to be built in the future, likely in 2025. The property is zoned R3, which permits multiple unit buildings, as well as more than one main building on a lot subject to PAC conditional approval.

The main concerns with permitting more than one main building on a lot pertain to the overcrowding of properties and exceeding lot coverage and density. Given the size of this property and the proposed layout, these concerns are minimized. There remains the potential to subdivide the lot in the future so that each building is on its own lot.

The proposed site layout and building design is identical to the apartment development on Runneymeade Rd (PID 05093919) constructed in 2020-2021, and it is anticipated the same buildings will be constructed to the west of the current proposed project. The 71-unit building will front onto Runneymeade Road, and the building design has been modified to incorporate the required jogs and recesses along the building façade. In addition, the building entrances along Whiterocks have been reoriented from the previous design so that they directly face the public street. The proposal conforms to all zoning requirements with respects to height, materials, setbacks, and parking requirements.

The developer plans to include two single storey storage garages at the parking entrances in order to limit the visual impact of the parking area from Whiterocks Dr. These buildings will incorporate windows and cultured stone facing the street in order to fit the surrounding aesthetic.
Note that this development will be kitty-corner to the new Riverview Aquatic & Recreational Centre that will start construction next year as well.

Proposal #2 - Pine Glen Road, across from the RCMP building:

Quote:
The subject properties were subdivided earlier in 2023 to facilitate the proposed development. The proposal will be a mix of one and two bedroom units, with one accessible unit per building. Due to the site topography, which slopes downward from Pine Glen Road, the front of the building will be 2.5 storeys with 3 storeys at the rear. The proposal meets all zoning provisions with respect to setbacks, height, parking, building materials, and the public entrance facing the street.

An existing 6m wide landscaping buffer will be preserved as much as possible at the rear of the property to conform with the landscaping requirements. In any areas where the vegetation is insufficient, a 2m tall opaque fence will be required.
These two buildings will contain a total 36 one and two bedroom units.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 8:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Riverview needs more diverse housing for the future: report
Report says town's population growing with Moncton and more diversity in housing will be needed in the future
Author of the article:Alan Cochrane
Published Dec 12, 2023 • Last updated 3 hours ago •
https://tj.news/city-hall/riverview-...-future-report (paywall)

The gist of the report is that Riverview needs to embrace the concept of more apartment buildings within the community as the population continues to grow. At present, 63.6% or Riverview households are in SFHs. The comparable percentages in Moncton and Dieppe are in the range of 40-45%. Riverview needs to embrace the concept of increasing housing density as the town grows.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Riverview needs more diverse housing for the future: report
Report says town's population growing with Moncton and more diversity in housing will be needed in the future
Author of the article:Alan Cochrane
Published Dec 12, 2023 • Last updated 3 hours ago •
https://tj.news/city-hall/riverview-...-future-report (paywall)

The gist of the report is that Riverview needs to embrace the concept of more apartment buildings within the community as the population continues to grow. At present, 63.6% or Riverview households are in SFHs. The comparable percentages in Moncton and Dieppe are in the range of 40-45%. Riverview needs to embrace the concept of increasing housing density as the town grows.
I am not resistant to change. However, I think Riverview has always prided itself on being a single-dwelling town. This is why the proposed dual 10-story apartment buildings were met with much resistance. Why does the town "need" to be more diverse with apartment buildings and the like to grow? Why can't it continue to grow with single dwellings and townhouse-style dwellings and gear itself to attract that market? Is it merely a matter of urban sprawl? Perhaps the article explains that (damn paywalls )

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
I am not resistant to change. However, I think Riverview has always prided itself on being a single-dwelling town. This is why the proposed dual 10-story apartment buildings were met with much resistance. Why does the town "need" to be more diverse with apartment buildings and the like to grow? Why can't it continue to grow with single dwellings and townhouse-style dwellings and gear itself to attract that market? Is it merely a matter of urban sprawl? Perhaps the article explains that (damn paywalls )
Im with you. Large Apartments create density and a lot more traffic. Density is good for a city’s core no question but Riverview is attractive because it doesnt have that congested city feel.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 1:57 PM

The thought process is 'all growth=good. Apartments=more growth=more good.' Not everything needs to be the same. Riverview is not in dire straits. AFAIK it's well managed and has its fiscal house in order. Moncton and parts of Dieppe can be denser, who cares? It doesn't hurt Riverview if they grow faster.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is an existential question for Riverview. A question only they can answer. What sort of community do they want to be?

If the consensus is to be a bedroom community, that's fine. It will mean that the metropolitan region will increasingly be viewed as Moncton/Dieppe (+Riverview) rather than Moncton/Riverview/Dieppe as it currently is. If Riverview does not want to be viewed as an equal to Moncton or Dieppe then this is fine.

It also means that Riverview residents will have to continue crossing the bridges in order to shop or obtain services well into the future. Without population or density, businesses and professional services will continue to choose the north side of the river to set up shop rather than the south. If this is a sacrifice that Riverview wants to make, then so be it.

When I first moved to Moncton, Riverview was bigger than Dieppe. Now there are over 30,000 people in Dieppe, and only about 21,000 people in Riverview. If Riverview wants to remain bucolic, I can foresee a time when Shediac will be bigger than Riverview too.

Your choice Riverview, your choice.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 3:05 PM

Quote:
This is an existential question for Riverview. A question only they can answer. What sort of community do they want to be?

If the consensus is to be a bedroom community, that's fine. It will mean that the metropolitan region will increasingly be viewed as Moncton/Dieppe (+Riverview) rather than Moncton/Riverview/Dieppe as it currently is. If Riverview does not want to be viewed as an equal to Moncton or Dieppe then this is fine.

It also means that Riverview residents will have to continue crossing the bridges in order to shop or obtain services well into the future. Without population or density, businesses and professional services will continue to choose the north side of the river to set up shop rather than the south. If this is a sacrifice that Riverview wants to make, then so be it.

When I first moved to Moncton, Riverview was bigger than Dieppe. Now there are over 30,000 people in Dieppe, and only about 21,000 people in Riverview. If Riverview wants to remain bucolic, I can foresee a time when Shediac will be bigger than Riverview too.

Your choice Riverview, your choice.
I've lived in Riverview for 20 years, and I have never seen any indication that Riverview is jealous of all the "growth" that Moncton and Dieppe have experienced during this time. If anything, it has embraced its "bedroom community" identity and doubled down on its small big-town feel.

As far as making the grand trek across the river for shopping and services. Aside from healthcare, the town has all the essential shops and services to lead a prosperous lifestyle. I don't see much of a sacrifice there. So Riverview may never get a Costco or the latest fast-food chain, I think we're OK with that.

I don't think there is any question as to what the citizens of Riverview want their community to be. I just question what parameters the article defines as growth that it believes Riverview needs. I am genuinely curious.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 3:16 PM

Believe this is the report presented to council
https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19129

Full council meeting notes
https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...ab=attachments

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 3:17 PM

Found these reports too
TOWN OF RIVERVIEW HOUSING NEEDS ASSESSMENT REPORT
https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19130

RIVERVIEW’S HOUSING NEEDS ASSESSMENT AND AFFORDABLE HOUSING STRATEGY
https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19132

RIVERVIEW AFFORDABLE HOUSING STRATEGY 2024-2029
https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19131

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Believe this is the report presented to council
https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19129

Full council meeting notes
https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...ab=attachments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces