HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 2:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
For those of us who live in NYC (me its been 17 years now) its always about what people "DO" versus what they "say" (especially in the press and media). Again....if in 30 days there's no crane = trouble getting this thing done!!
Yes it is. And we also know these buildings don't go up over night. I see absolutely no reason to be in panic mode, nor will I see it in thirty days. The foundation has been prepared, and it was done very rapidly. If there is a pause in the action, it wouldn't bother me a bit. If the site became vacant over the winter, then I would have questions. Thirty days? Please.

Quote:
Late last month, the developers of what will be the city's tallest residential spire, now rising on Park Avenue, submitted a plan to increase asking prices for its 128 condominiums to an average of $5,800 per square foot. Not only is that a double-digit hike from the original price set just two months earlier, it comes three years before the 1,398-foot tower is scheduled to be completed.

So far this year, 432 Park Ave. is one of just 15 new condo projects whose offering plans were submitted to the attorney general's office, which must approve them before sales can begin. Although several stalled condo projects have been revived this past year and new developments are in the works as construction lending loosens, the number of units projected to enter the market in the next few years is still likely to fall short of demand.
I see more reason to be optimistic about this and other developments than not. But if you want to be concerned in 30 days, how about waiting those 30 days.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 2:23 PM

Be back....in 30 days! Trust me- this is one of those RARE instances I'm hoping I'm wrong!!!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 3:51 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Be back....in 30 days! Trust me- this is one of those RARE instances I'm hoping I'm wrong!!!

There were workers on the site two days ago. Its a Sunday. Its almost laughable that because you see no workers today, you think its bust. You do realize the company constructing the foundations, and the company constructing the building are two separate entities? The former just finished their part of the work, they cleared out. The latter will be on site within 30 days i'm sure.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Please stop hijacking this thread about a spire on another tower.

I seriously hope that 432 Park Avenue will not have a spire.
The issue of the 1WTC antenna or spire is important to this thread because the ruling will determine if this building is the tallest in the city by overall height, or just roof height.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 11:10 PM
Mr. Technology

Save the rhetoric for another thread and please respect those of us who follow this thread.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I guess I need to give you a math lesson. The tower has a height to width ratio of 19:1. So, at 420 meters tall (the height of the drawing illustrators can upload, ask an editor why that number is used, I have no idea) that will make it approximately 22 meters wide. I made my drawing at an exact 45 degree angle. A square turned at a 45 degree angle increases the width by approximately 40%. The APPARENT width would therefore be approximately 31 meters. In the diagrams each meter is represented by 1 pixel. My drawing is of course 420 pixels high, and in fact it is 38 pixels wide, so if anything it is still TOO WIDE to be entirely realistic. The other drawings are even wider still.

To summarize, your statement about the drawing being too skinny is just plain wrong. It is actually too fat! Any truly accurate drawing would have to be even more skinny than mine is. Good luck to all the illustrators out there... Additionally, a drawing 432 pixels tall (which it should be) will cause a slight increase in the width, 32 pixels wide at the absolute maximum, or a minimum of 23 pixels if you make you drawing face-on to one of the sides.

A side note to the editors - If the height truly is 432 meters, why is the height of the drawing we can upload only 420 meters?
Upon re-reading this I think I understand what you're saying (and I didn't before). Are you saying that you're including two sides in the width of your rendering (white and gray)? I was looking at just the white wall. So if this is the case, then sorry for the confusion. But I think you should use just the white wall for the width and then add the gray for characterization of dimension (just my opinion). And again, the rendering quality is good, I was only commenting on the width.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 12:29 AM

Walked by this spot the other day and peaked through a hole in the wood blocking the site. Looks awesome. This is the perfect place in NYC for such a tall structure to emerge.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 11:20 AM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

A View Far Above the Rest
Park Avenue Tower Puts City's Tallest Occupied Space on Market for $85 Million

September 16, 2012
By JOSH BARBANEL

Quote:
It may be the apartment with the ultimate bragging rights in New York—the highest occupied space in this city of skyscrapers, even taller than the observation deck of One World Trade Center. It can be yours for $85 million. The six-bedroom penthouse condominium on the 95th floor is one of the more unusual apartments that have just gone on the market at a new 1,397 foot aluminum and glass tower under construction at 432 Park Ave. on the site of the old Drake Hotel. When completed in 2015, it would be the city's second-tallest building, and the penthouse would likely be the tallest space with people residing or working regularly within.

Documents show the total asking price for 432 Park Ave.'s 122 condominiums—along with staff rooms, office suites and wine cellars—is now $2.43 billion, a record for a Manhattan condominium. The tower represents another luxurious, ultraexpensive residential skyscraper hitting the Manhattan market, setting up more competition with other buildings such as One57 for wealthy buyers looking for trophy properties.

The building's foundation work has just been completed at an L-shaped construction site on Park Avenue between East 56th Street and East 57th Street. Steel beams will soon start rising skyward in a slender design by Rafael Vinoly Architects, although the building's look and height could change.

Nevertheless, a small group of real-estate brokers have already been given briefings on the development. A show room is due to open before the end of the year, brokers said. According to condo records filed with the state, 432 Park Ave. will have unusually high ceilings allowing for large picture windows to look out at the city—15 feet between floor slabs and ceiling heights of 12-and-half feet. The penthouse floor would be called the 95th but is actually on the 78th floor because the building will skip some floor numbers.

The 8,255-square-foot penthouse would be 1,302 feet above the street entrance, according to figures compiled by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitats from building plans. The highest occupied floor at One World Trade Center—which would be 1,776 feet tall but with a 408-foot antenna—would be the visitor's center at 1,251 feet, according to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Empire State Building is 1,250 feet high, not including its antenna.

While living "at the top of New York" could be desirable for some buyers, it isn't for everyone, said Pamela Liebman, president of the Corcoran Group, a consultant for Extell Development, which is building One57. "There are many buyers who do not want to be so high up in a building that they feel they are out of touch with the city and cityscape," she said. "It is more like being in a helicopter." Still she said having major condo towers on the market at the same time could actually bring in more buyers to both. "New York is lucky to have two such important towers being built at a time when we are severely lacking in this type of inventory," she said.

Gary Barnett, the president of Extell Development, said he didn't see 432 Park Ave. as competition. One57 is expected to sell out sooner, in six to 12 months, and begin closings next year, Mr. Barnett said. "Our delivery schedules are totally different," he said. "We want [432 Park Ave.] to do well," he said.

Howard Lorber, the chairman of Prudential Douglas Elliman, a marketing consultant on 432 Park Ave., said he was so impressed with the building's interior details and designs that he planned to buy a 4,000-square-foot half-floor apartment. Prices on similar units are listed for $22 million and up. "I liked it so much I am buying one myself," he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 3:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

September 16, 2012
By JOSH BARBANEL
"...although the building's look and height could change."

Oh please, please, please.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 3:36 PM

Quote:

Save the rhetoric for another thread and please respect those of us who follow this thread.
I don't really respect you. Your posts are simplistic and you seem like a person who just likes to look at pictures and say "This is tall! Exactly what NY needs!"

These threads are here to discuss important aspects of the building (like if it will be ruled the tallest in the city or not) not just look at pictures of the construction.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
"...although the building's look and height could change."

Oh please, please, please.
I hope so too. Additional height from some sort of crown may be welcome if it works with the cladding style. The width is already set in stone (concrete) but a lot happen as far as the height goes.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 4:04 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ I'm more concerned about a height reduction, as it happens from time to time in NY. I just hope it stays over 400m, so we'll have another building (besides 1 and 2WTC) which will join the 400m+ club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
You do realize the company constructing the foundations, and the company constructing the building are two separate entities? The former just finished their part of the work, they cleared out. The latter will be on site within 30 days i'm sure.
Exactly. This will be built, no doubt about it. The New York rental market is hot.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 4:19 PM

Eh, so this will get built. That's why they built the foundation. And it will keep going immediately. The reason there are so many foundations lying around with buildings un-built on them (or were so many, actually, there's far less now than there were) was the 421a tax abatement that no longer exists. There were huge monetary advantages to building enough of the foundation as quickly as possible to guarantee entry into the program. 99 Church still qualifies because of this. Now that the abatement is gone, developers won't be rushing to build foundations without solid building plans before it expires. That's all there is to it. Market manipulations at work. Nothing more.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
I hope so too. Additional height from some sort of crown may be welcome if it works with the cladding style. The width is already set in stone (concrete) but a lot happen as far as the height goes.
I was talking about the design.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:18 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

A View Far Above the Rest
Park Avenue Tower Puts City's Tallest Occupied Space on Market for $85 Million

After reading the report on the Wall Street Journal, I agree that both One57 and 432 Park Avenue are not in any competition whatsoever, even though they are both along the 57th Street corridor.

I do wonder if Donald Trump might be interested in buying out the entire tower and adding his name (in gold) to capitalize on this development and to gain bragging rights.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:51 AM

Quote:
I agree that both One57 and 432 Park Avenue are not in any competition whatsoever, even though they are both along the 57th Street corridor..
It also doesn't surprise me that gary barnett said that he hoped 432 park did well because if he plans on putting up another supertall residential tower(225 w57) then 432 park doing well is probably the best sign that he will have that his next project will be a success.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 3:04 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Beekman was on hold for a year and it got done, the Drake has just a couple of days of less-than-normal busy-ness and it's panic time?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 6:56 AM

Whoever owns the upper most floor of 432 Park Avenue will be the luckiest person on Earth. Here are the views at exactly 1,397 feet up above the site from Google Earth.

The view of the Bronx and Queens.

Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Lower Manhattan.

Midtown Manhattan.

New Jersey.

Queens.

Upper East Side and Central Park.

Upper West Side and Central Park.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 10:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Steel beams will soon start rising skyward in a slender design by Rafael Vinoly Architects, although the building's look and height could change.
Steel rising is what we've all been waiting for, it just takes a little patience. We never really had a clearly defined construction schedule to begin with, or very detailed renderings of the tower for that matter. It's not surprising that things could still be in flux, though I don't expect any major changes.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

Steel beams? I thought it was to be poured concrete. Or what that just something akin to poetic license?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive