HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:53 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, there's something inconsistent between the Canada and US cities. I thought maybe they were looking at city proper populations (which is only 600,000 vs 400,000 for Seattle-Halifax) but then Victoria would not be considered "large". They must be comparing Canadian metros to US municipalities.

To be honest I don't pay much attention to those lists. They're basically an assortment of random metrics designed to produce results that will get some kind of attention.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:47 PM

Art gallery mulls new Halifax home

CBC News

The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia is calling for a feasibility study into building a new home for the provincial museum.

The AGNS found its downtown Halifax building to be "seriously inadequate" in a 2008 report that recommended constructing a new, larger building elsewhere in the downtown area.

The report's other suggested options were a creating new building outside the core or renovating the current space on Hollis Street.

On Friday, AGNS issued a request for tender for a new building.
Art lovers love the old buildings

Patrons at the gallery Sunday said they did not want to see the AGNS move.

Chris Fitzharris brought her family to the gallery on Easter Sunday. She said the historic buildings added to the experience of visiting the gallery.

"I'd like to see them stay downtown in one of these buildings, potentially see it renovated. I like the history in the older buildings, as opposed to a new building," she said.

David Ripley paused on his tour of the gallery to acknowledge the buildings are old, but said that's exactly why he likes them.

"I'd like to see the buildings maintained if possible. I think the architecture is worthwhile preserving and really adds something to the downtown area," he said.

The art gallery's tender does not say what would happen to the two buildings it is currently occupying if a new one were built.
Gallery North a heritage building

Gallery North, also known as the Dominion Building, was constructed in 1865. It is a designated heritage building and so has some protection against alterations or demolition.

Gallery South is not a heritage building.

In the public tender, the art gallery asks for a study on constructing a larger building, designed from the start to be a gallery.

It would solve the problems that trouble the current gallery, including leaking water in the old stonework that has already cancelled one exhibition.

The lack of air conditioning and fluctuating Halifax weather also make it hard to preserve some works.

The deadline for proposals is May 13. AGNS has not said when it will decide if it is going to renovate or relocate.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:52 PM

It is amazing how the media manage to always find people to speak out against anything new. Or perhaps it is not so hard in these parts to find such people.

Neither of the existing buildings is going away. The gallery has very specific needs that would best be served by a purpose-built space. One wonders why that is so hard for people to understand.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 12:31 AM

Excited for the North Face store

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:29 AM

Maybe the AGNS should move into the library spot on Spring Garden?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_scott View Post
It would most likely have the same issues and is quite a bit smaller too, if my memory serves me correct.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_scott View Post
You mean the current Main Branch? That doesn't have A/C either.

I think they should build a new gallery next to the new library (on the south side).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:15 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
You mean the current Main Branch? That doesn't have A/C either.

I think they should build a new gallery next to the new library (on the south side).
I think that lot is owned by Dal.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:41 PM
Salty Town

CBC News

It's too bad the site across Bedford Row couldn't be obtained. The parking lot of the federally owned Dominion Public Building would seem ideal for a new build with an underground link to the existing AGNS.

Dominion Public Building smoking / barbecue pit:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.007167&z=18

Last edited by Empire; Apr 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 7:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Did they explicitly rule out that site? It seems perfect, and it's been sitting derelict for over 50 years.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
CBC News

It's too bad the site across Bedford Row couldn't be obtained. The parking lot of the federally owned Dominion Public Building would seem idea for a new build with an underground link to the existing AGNS.

Dominion Public Building smoking / barbecue pit:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.007167&z=18
Public Works and Government Services Canada has all of their maritime offices there. I worked with them for 3 summers - fantastic building.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Public Works and Government Services Canada has all of their maritime offices there. I worked with them for 3 summers - fantastic building.
I think they are talking about the empty parking lot next to it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 10:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The site next door was at one point a Customs House. I believe it was torn down in 1955. I am not sure why. It seems like one of the more unfortunate losses downtown, particulary since the site had gone unused for so long.

The lions from the building were saved and are now on display in Granville Mall. Apparently they sat in somebody's yard in Timberlea for a couple decades.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 10:37 PM
opinionated so and so

I don't see what is so hard about fixing/upgrading/replacing the AC in either the north or south building.

I think they need to think in medium and long terms. I doubt the Province is going to pony up for a new art gallery within the next decade or two. The province would also end up with both those spaces they would have to renovate and put something else in, so the cost is both for a new build and a reno. I don't think it is in the cards.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 11:44 PM

Idealistically, the former Cheapside Market, would be a good Extension to the AGNS with a tunnel going under Bedford Row.

Instead of leaving two buildings, Upgrade them, and build a growable new wing geared to be added to when needed. Allowing for a AGNS complex.

Kind of a broad swipe approach to med-long term problems/thinking.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 11:45 PM

The problem is that the existing space is lousy space. Half of it is underground and the only way to get from one building to another is via the basement. YThe spaces in either building are tight and constricted, and the province did its usual half-assed job of design and construction when the renos were done 15-20 years ago. It isn't just A/C, it is leaks, it is floor loads, it is a whole bunch of things.

Since part of the space is the Provincial Bldg I'm sure that govt would have no trouble filling it.

Since I assume they want to stay downtown, why not part of Scotia Square that I understand is vacated or any of the new developments proposed for downtown?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 5:34 PM
Fizzix geek

With respect to the potential new art gallery space...

The rumour I have heard is that the reason for the push is that a large private donor (rumoured to be Sobey) has expressed interest in donating a huuuge collection to the AGNS but if and only if the building has proper facilities and is enlarged enough that the collection could be displayed. Apparently a group of the super-rich have met to discuss potential private fundraising to help build a new gallery.

This is definitely just a rumour and therefore likely should go in that thread, but given that the discussion is going on here...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Outdoor stores leading downtown revival
New stores looking for success in city core

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1240143.html

By GEOFF BIRD
Tue, Apr 26 - 4:53 AM

Outdoor equipment stores are at the forefront of Halifax’s downtown revival, bypassing government to bring retail business back to the city’s core.

Last year, Tao The Adventure Outfitters moved from Bayers Lake Business Park to the heart of downtown, about a block away from outdoor retail giant Mountain Equipment Co-op. Patagonia and The North Face are slated to open stores in late summer, all in locations within a few minutes walk of each other.

"I looked at it from a social aspect and thought if it was on Barrington, it could be a real game changer for the street," said Joachim Stroink, owner of the future North Face store.

Stroink said he considered a suburban location in Dartmouth Crossing, where customer traffic is guaranteed to be high, but in the end chose a location on Barrington Street in the old Carsand-Mosher building because of the boost it would give to the area.

"It would be the first corporate-branded store on the street and could really help the downtown core, because the politicians aren’t going to help."

Matt Ramsay, the manager of the Patagonia store currently under construction in the old Brewery Market on Lower Water Street, said it was the historic heritage of the buildings that attracted the company’s owner, Yvon Chouinard, to the downtown core.

"They would never build a new building; they use old historic buildings if they can," said Ramsay. "It was just the obvious choice. It’s got a lot of great character, so we thought it would be a great location."

All the new stores in close proximity are welcome competition, said George Zakher, part-owner and manager of Tao. When Tao moved from Bayers Lake to its current location off of Barrington Street, Zakher said many people thought it was crazy to leave the high-traffic business park to the dying downtown core, less than a block from his big competitor, Mountain Equipment Co-op.

"Business is actually doing very, very well," he said. The store has grown within the past year, Zakher said, and is now looking to expand its product lines.

Zakher said he isn’t worried about the added competition on his doorstep.

"It is a component that’s making this area a destination. You can come, park, eat and shop. It will hopefully give the public another option than the mega-mega store."

Denise McDonald, manager at Mountain Equipment Co-op, said clustering of outdoor equipment stores is consistent with the trend in other Canadian cities. She said MEC will move into an area first, with competitors moving in shortly after. Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa have MEC outlets with several other competitor outdoor equipment retailers within a couple minutes walking distance.

McDonald echoed the other outdoor retailers, saying increased competition is a good thing. Each store has a different product line, she said, making the stores complementary to each other.

"We think it’s great," said McDonald. "The more the merrier."
Wow Patagonia and The North Face! Both awesome stores, keep 'em coming!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 7:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Zakher said many people thought it was crazy to leave the high-traffic business park to the dying downtown core
Where else but in Halifax would you have a string of articles about new stores opening in the "dying downtown core"?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 7:46 PM

This is a good start though,

i like the attitudes of these retailers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth