HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:44 PM

From the media, it sounds like it’s because of lack of planes and no surprise that Regina is not their top top priority for their current routes. Saskatoon is a busier airport so that makes sense regarding suspension in Regina before Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I am surprised Saskatoon is working out for them. They don't do connections. So they expect everyone to have the same final destination using what is probably the largest aircraft to service either Regina or Saskatoon.

WestJet and Air Canada work because they offer onward connections onto other flights. Once Porter gets their jets delivered and starts expanding into the west they will have a similar business model to WestJet and Air Canada. A better option for Saskatchewan.

Having Flair leave may actually be good all around, that provides more traffic for the WestJet and Air Canada flights and should allow for more frequency.
I wish that was the case, but Westjet just changed our flight to Toronto in mid July again. Now they want us to go to Calgary and then Toronto. We had already made plans as our original flight was set to land before 10:00 am, now going through Calgary, we don't get there till after 4:00 in the afternoon, which throws a wrench into our plans. Honestly, the only reason we are flying Westjet is we have the the credit card which gives us companion fares, and Westjet dollars. Otherwise, I would be moving to Air Canada. Way better options on AC. Now we have to change our flight to possibly a day earlier, and add hotel costs and car rental costs that we were trying to avoid. Thanks Westjet!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 2:42 AM

Has anyone on here used flair airlines? Debating using them for an upcoming trip. About 1/3 the cost at the moment.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Has anyone on here used flair airlines? Debating using them for an upcoming trip. About 1/3 the cost at the moment.
I haven't used them, but ran into my niece in the Calgary airport last week. She was flying Westjet (at a last minute high fare) because Flair had cancelled her flight out of Edmonton. Second time it had happened to her on Flair. My take is that you're rolling the dice when you book with them.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I haven't used them, but ran into my niece in the Calgary airport last week. She was flying Westjet (at a last minute high fare) because Flair had cancelled her flight out of Edmonton. Second time it had happened to her on Flair. My take is that you're rolling the dice when you book with them.
Thanks. Haven't heard many positive experiences yet. Did she get a full refund at least? Flight in question is a one way from Toronto back to Saskatoon. Swoop has a option that day as well. Maybe they are worth a try. Not sure I want to be a guinea pig though!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Haven't heard many positive experiences yet. Did she get a full refund at least? Flight in question is a one way from Toronto back to Saskatoon. Swoop has a option that day as well. Maybe they are worth a try. Not sure I want to be a guinea pig though!
Honestly I've heard more good than bad about Flair so far...

But don't listen to me - I pretty much always fly on AC.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 7:16 PM

Quote:
I'm 90% sure she got her refund, as she was griping about what she had to pay for her Westjet fare, so I'm sure she'd have mentioned getting stiffed on a refund.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
I used them for a flight from Edmonton to Toronto pre-pandemic. The baggage was delayed 45 minutes upon arrival, but other than that it was a satisfactory flight.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 8:00 PM

Getting Ready for Swoop at YQR!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:05 PM

My AC flight from YYZ-YQR was canceled last night. It was supposed to be AC7909 departing at 18:55. I heard that this was the 3rd time this week that specific flight was canceled. Anyone know why this is?

Thankfully I grabbed a seat on WestJet and got home a couple of hours later than planned. Still really annoying.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:54 PM

YYZ-YQR Porter flights can’t come soon enough.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM753Fan View Post
My AC flight from YYZ-YQR was canceled last night. It was supposed to be AC7909 departing at 18:55. I heard that this was the 3rd time this week that specific flight was canceled. Anyone know why this is?

Thankfully I grabbed a seat on WestJet and got home a couple of hours later than planned. Still really annoying.
because YYZ is a disaster.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
because YYZ is a disaster.
This I can confirm first hand. Does anyone know why exactly? Labour shortage? or what is the main factor driving this? Both terminals were like a 3rd world country last night.

Lineups for up to an hour just to get inside a restuarant. Lounges were at capacity. I've never seen anything like it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Could be fallout from the storm in Montreal yesterday. It took us 3 hours to finally leave Toronto to Montreal due to the backlog. I heard at least some flights coming into Montreal have been cancelled for the next few days. Just in time for the Canadian Grand Prix. Glad we actually made it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:

I don't know the reason for your flight from Toronto being cancelled. But there have been up to 6 Toronto to Regina flights cancelled in the past month (AC and WJA combined). I believe AC was blaming it on Aircraft shortages the last time I checked. Not sure about Westjet though.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBean View Post
I don't know the reason for your flight from Toronto being cancelled. But there have been up to 6 Toronto to Regina flights cancelled in the past month (AC and WJA combined). I believe AC was blaming it on Aircraft shortages the last time I checked. Not sure about Westjet though.
I think it's because WestJet is just a shitshow in general.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I think it's because WestJet is just a shitshow in general.
Yes, I tend to agree with you on WestJet

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:52 AM

Quote:
This I can confirm first hand. Does anyone know why exactly? Labour shortage? or what is the main factor driving this? Both terminals were like a 3rd world country last night.

Lineups for up to an hour just to get inside a restuarant. Lounges were at capacity. I've never seen anything like it.
I think it is the same as almost every other service industry. At the start of the pandemic all these companies right-sized. The people they let go all found other jobs. Then as things opened up things opened up faster than planned and they are scrambling to hire, and train new staff members. The new staff are still learning to do their jobs and when you add some stress for delays or over crowding and they just can't respond as efficiently and effectively.

Air Canada has a high degree of automation with some customer rebooking being automatic or self-serve through the app. WestJet is far more manual.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:26 PM

Regardless of automation at Air Canada, at some point you have to deal with the people there and, in my experience, that's where the trouble begins. With AC, unless you're an Elite member or above, you're treated like crap - as if you're an impediment to them doing their real job, which is to take care of their Business Class clients,

Though Westjet is also now moving in that direction, the class distinction at AC is what bothers me as an economy class flier. Remember the Air Canada motto: "We're not satisfied until you're not satisfied."

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Regardless of automation at Air Canada, at some point you have to deal with the people there and, in my experience, that's where the trouble begins. With AC, unless you're an Elite member or above, you're treated like crap - as if you're an impediment to them doing their real job, which is to take care of their Business Class clients,

Though Westjet is also now moving in that direction, the class distinction at AC is what bothers me as an economy class flier. Remember the Air Canada motto: "We're not satisfied until you're not satisfied."
Sadly this is the way society is going in general. The haves and have nots with nothing in the middle, which is going backwards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan