HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The NHL will never let a team fold, they'll simply get them to relocate.
The BOG would love to relocate Ottawa to a US city. While Seattle will get an expansion team, they'll look to Houston or even Portland.
why would the NHL want out of a city that's rich in hockey history (Silver sevens dynasty, Original Sens Dynasty), especially when there are groups interested in keeping the team in ottawa. Not to mention, I blieve at this point the NHL wants melnyk out, and unless he ends up selling he'll be the owner at the relocated city (if that happens). And if he ends up selling priority would be to sell to a group to keep the team in the area.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Or Quebec City. Are there really serious nibbles from people interested in owning an NHL team in Houston or Portland?
Apparently there's some talks happening behind the scenes for Houston, and there's been some recent rumblings in Portland as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corynv View Post
why would the NHL want out of a city that's rich in hockey history (Silver sevens dynasty, Original Sens Dynasty), especially when there are groups interested in keeping the team in ottawa.
If there are groups that are interested in keeping them in Ottawa, then they probably won't interfere - but they're not going to bend over backwards to ensure the team doesn't relocate if there's difficulty in finding someone to keep them there. Hockey history means nothing to the BOG - it's all about money... and in their minds, they're all about growing the game in the US to try to compete with the other leagues - as futile as that might be.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:08 AM

Remember that any decision to relocate lies with Sens ownership, not the NHL, who merely have a veto. Melnyk, cheapskate that he is, will likely choose Quebec with its existing NHL-ready arena that have to deal with any political wrangling elsewhere. He'd rather have a stranglehold on a small market like Quebec than have to fight his way to relevance in the fourth-biggest city in the US.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Remember that any decision to relocate lies with Sens ownership, not the NHL, who merely have a veto. Melnyk, cheapskate that he is, will likely choose Quebec with its existing NHL-ready arena that have to deal with any political wrangling elsewhere. He'd rather have a stranglehold on a small market like Quebec than have to fight his way to relevance in the fourth-biggest city in the US.
the NHL BoG must approve a relocation for it to happen, and as long as there are interested and viable ownership groups in Ottawa, Melnyk won't be allowed to move the team.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 9:59 PM

Not really. They can still veto a move, but they won't force him to stay just because there's local groups. The existence of locals willing to buy would only come into play if he tried to sell to a Houston- or Quebec-based buyer.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 10:17 PM

There's a big men's and women's NCAA basketball showcase going on at Vancouver's convention centre this week! Games actually count for points in the standings!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 11:23 PM

I can't see the Senators leaving Ottawa in any situation (apparently some of the businessmen behind the Redblacks have been rumoured to be interested in purchasing the team), but if they did, they definitely aren't leaving Canada. The NHL would have a PR nightmare on its hands, and while people always talk about the NHL's American TV contracts, reducing its number of Canadian teams would affect its Canadian contracts as well, which is something the league doesn't want either.

Quebec City has an arena, corporate ownership, and a dedicated fanbase. That's as far as they would go.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I can't see the Senators leaving Ottawa in any situation (apparently some of the businessmen behind the Redblacks have been rumoured to be interested in purchasing the team)
That's interesting, isn't he suing one of them now?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 11:55 PM

Yes, Melnyk is suing his principal partner (or I guess former partner?) in the LeBreton project, John Ruddy, who is one of the main players in OSEG, the consortium who redeveloped Lansdowne Park, and own the CFL's RedBlacks and USL's Fury.

There have been rumors that OSEG has expressed interest in buying the Sens, but we have no proof of this. If there is any chance this is true, I hope Melnyk and Ruddy can come to a "settlement" where Ruddy and either OSEG or other RVL partners purchases the Sens in order to save LeBreton.

The only confirmed offer for the Sens over the last year was from Guy Laliberté, the guy who founded Le Cirque du Soleil and is now involved in that weird pyramid discothèque thing in Montréal. The offer was rejected.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 5:12 PM
Community Guy

A full commonwealth at night is pretty amazing.

https://twitter.com/CFL/status/1066872523156013057
@greycupfestival

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Yes, Melnyk is suing his principal partner (or I guess former partner?) in the LeBreton project, John Ruddy, who is one of the main players in OSEG, the consortium who redeveloped Lansdowne Park, and own the CFL's RedBlacks and USL's Fury.
Now that's the Ottawa I know. Way too much stuff was getting done recently with new tallest towers, Lebreton, Lansdowne, the O-train, etc, I was starting to believe the city had turned a new leaf.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A full commonwealth at night is pretty amazing.

https://twitter.com/CFL/status/1066872523156013057
@greycupfestival
Was at the game yesterday. The stadium is an absolute gem. Awesome experience when the stadium is packed like it was.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Skating at the Ian Fowler Oval in front of the Avenir Centre in downtown Moncton. (courtesy of Andre Audet Photography)

The oval has a refrigeration plant to maintain the ice surface even on milder winter days, and a dedicated Zamboni for resurfacing. The Moncton Wildcats encourages fans to have a skate on the oval before game time. They have reserved a change area in the arena with storage for ice skates and clothing for those who want to have a little recreational skate before game time.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:23 PM

A well deserved honour for a man who has been missed by the city

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:05 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's almost exactly where I sat in Commonwealth Stadium during the 1984 Grey Cup. I wasn't expecting the fly past. It scared the crap out of me.....

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:48 PM

It is incredible how well Commonwealth has aged. 40 years old but still just an absolute beauty of a facility. There is no better televised backdrop for a football game in this country.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Wicked pic!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 6:51 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is incredible how well Commonwealth has aged. 40 years old but still just an absolute beauty of a facility. There is no better televised backdrop for a football game in this country.
Totally agree

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 2:25 AM

Commonwealth did a great job, just as it will do in 2026 for the World Cup.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada