HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 6:57 PM
blog this

Yup, that's it.

Pic by me:

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 3:06 AM

It's just temporary

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 3:38 AM

Some pictures I took yesterday and today.

I actually like the structure.

Interesting architectural shape

and it meshs with the cauldron

The front side is still blank. But I guess a big poster will be printed on it

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 5:53 AM
More Towers

I envision awesome skateboard tricks off of there.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 8:35 AM
EdInVan

I find the structure less offensive than the fact something so commercial has been permitted to intrude in such a prominent public space. It's the end of the summer and people want to walk in that area and enjoy the beautiful vista. Now it's partially obstructed by a gigantic ad for BMW.

God I'm cranky this week...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 3:41 PM
More Towers

They need to stick a 5 foot view cone on there

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 11:38 PM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
They need to stick a 5 foot view cone on there
Here it would actually be appropriate. A view cone for the little people on the ground.

Since it's on public property, I hope the skateboarders make ample use of this structure.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 3:45 PM

thats what plazas arre for - the ones i have been to in london would often be used for such advertising things - vancouver is world class now!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 11:45 PM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
thats what plazas arre for - the ones i have been to in london would often be used for such advertising things - vancouver is world class now!
I know this sounds idealistic, but shouldn't plazas be for public enjoyment? This structure may bring some joy to BMW enthusiasts and perhaps some architectural types, but not to the average person.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
I know this sounds idealistic, but shouldn't plazas be for public enjoyment? This structure may bring some joy to BMW enthusiasts and perhaps some architectural types, but not to the average person.
When I was living in Vienna a few years ago, the Rathausplatz (City Hall plaza) was used not only for public festivals and activities like the film and jazz festivals, but occasionally also for commercial activities (which funnily enough, also involved BMW).

If it's well done, it does add some life and vibrancy to the public space

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 11:41 PM
More Towers

They will stick anti-skateboard cleats up and down it as we speak...

(That's a joke..)

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 2:19 AM

Although a civic public space, Jack Poole Plaza is managed by the Vancouver Convention Centre which is able to rent out the space for meetings, conventions or in this case exhibitions.

It's not like it's taking up all of Jack Poole Plaza, it's only taking up a small portion of it towards the southern end. No harm, no foul, no loss. And it's only for a few weeks.

This type of stuff happens all the time at public spaces in other cities. That is, real world-class cities.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 3:45 AM
EdInVan

If the plaza is run by the Convention Centre, then they can do whatever they want with it. I just don't think it's right, especially when the structure doesn't benefit the general public and partially obstructs one of the nicer views in the city.

Why not do something in front of the Art Gallery, which usually sits completely empty? An installation there would add visual interest and also draw attention away from the soggy woodchips and broken water fountain. It would also draw more traffic. I'm all for corporate signage and the like (I love neon signs and billboards and huge video screens and logos on top of buildings and think we need more of those in the city), but it's all about the appropriateness of the setting.

Anyway, I'll shut up on this now.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
If the plaza is run by the Convention Centre, then they can do whatever they want with it. I just don't think it's right, especially when the structure doesn't benefit the general public and partially obstructs one of the nicer views in the city.
Quit being so whiny. It does benefit the general public in that BMW pays the convention center which helps offset the cost of the building and plaza to the taxpayer.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Of course it benefits you. PavCo, a crown corporation, is taking in revenue. That is the raison d'être of a convention center, right? ...to host events and exhibitions? We didn't spend $900 million just to make a pretty view for spoiled locals.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 3:48 AM

What do you mean the Art Gallery usually sits completely empty? There was just a huge Taiwan Festival this past weekend. Despite the Convention Centre, the Art Gallery is still considered the place to coordinate any mass gatherings.

I vaguely recall another car company taking up some space near English Bay during the Fireworks.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 5:12 AM
More Towers

So they can stick a stupid shack in a plaza to raise money but having a corporate sponsor for BC Place is some kind of sin? Welcome to the Bizarro World known as British Columbia.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 7:38 AM

They had another car pavilion at the plaza outside the entrance of Granville Square for weeks earlier in the summer. I don't remember what car company it was for, but it was much smaller and was glass enclosed.

I personally love these types of things and would like to see a lot more of it, assuming that events at public spaces comes first.

Quote:

Anyway, I'll shut up on this now.
I disagree. Again, it's a temporary fixture for merely weeks and it takes up maybe 1/5th of Jack Poole Plaza... and it's not the better 1/5th that's used for events and is enjoyed by the general public, it's right up against the street. You're talking as if it's a permanent thing. Weeks, dude.

I think it'll add to the plaza.

If there's one thing I'll rant against the convention centre, it's how they let almost any group these days to light the Olympic Cauldron as long as they have the money for it. Remember when it was lit for the Cactus Club opening? It's losing its symbolic value.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 9:45 AM

There are already a couple of commercial enterprises on Jack Poole Plaza - Cactus Club and Tap & Barrel - why discriminate based on product offering?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 2:16 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There are already a couple of commercial enterprises on Jack Poole Plaza - Cactus Club and Tap & Barrel - why discriminate based on product offering?
I don't discriminate. I find some of those inappropriate as well, especially the latter, which flagrantly intrudes on the public space (or what -should- be a public space).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver