HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 7:15 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
It's going to be so nice to see the 78 land get developed and bring much needed density to that area
Why the crap is that land still vacant after all this time. I would have thought it would have started to get developed decades ago.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Why the crap is that land still vacant after all this time. I would have thought it would have started to get developed decades ago.
I don't think a lot of those high rises nearby in the South Loop were there even 20 years ago. Downtown Chicago has boomed since 2000 and someone bought all 62 acres of this land in 2002, but sold it in 2007. Then I think 2016 you have Related enter the mix while the buyer from 2007 is still a minority partner. This is the southern edge of what would be considered downtown. It's sold as 1 thing though. If little parcels were for cake instead, I'm sure there would be some stuff there now here and there. The entire thing was used as railroad land from the late 20s through the late 60s. Before that, the Chicago river actually cut through the land.

It's a huge site though, more than double the area of Hudson Yards. Hopefully Related can make sure this happens, but it's going to take 15+ years to complete (Hudson Yards total development is 12 years).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:06 PM
THAT Guy

Someday...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Someday...
Oh man, I love it. Interesting that they would include a placeholder image for 1000M but not Essex though. Picking nits here.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Someday...
Wow, if it turns out as pictured , it will be very impressive. The South Loop has really been transformed these last years, with NEMA being the highlight so far.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:55 AM

Until we get the 78, this view will have to suffice though:

If any of you have connections with CTA, please tell them to give the cars a dang bath! Pictures turned out dirty the other day Had to just delete most

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 10:21 PM

March 6 & 8

March 10

March 10 & 12

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Ive heard that because it was once under the river, then railroad yards, the soil is terrible for building on so anything that goes in will have huge foundation and site costs.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Because it was a rail yard forever and is still hemmed in with rails and a two level viaduct along Roosevelt. There are much easier to develop parcels all over the South Loop where you don't have to construct infrastructure for an entire neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 3:19 AM

window cleaning crane?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 5:08 AM

03/14/19

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:16 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
Ive heard that because it was once under the river, then railroad yards, the soil is terrible for building on so anything that goes in will have huge foundation and site costs.
That only affects the top 20 feet or so of the soil. Anything over six stories will put in the same foundation here that they do anywhere else in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
That only affects the top 20 feet or so of the soil. Anything over six stories will put in the same foundation here that they do anywhere else in Chicago.
IIRC 225 Van Bueren and 901 Financial - both pretty tall buildings - were done with friction piles because .... soil. (would love more details).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 3:50 PM

she is so damn thicc at her base !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
03/14/19

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 4:48 PM
Urbane observer

Yes, nearly all the South Loop buildings between Clark and the river have used friction piles, for a combination of reasons (AIUI): loose silty soil where the river wandered over the centuries, and cheaper. For the Roosevelt Collection, Walsh drove more than 40 miles of pilings, which they think is a record. I was surprised when the on-site engineer told me CMK's 14th & Wabash pilings were driven to limestone at -97. I'm guessing the spec was "driven to refusal," which they thought might occur at a lesser depth.

One exception was 1000 S. Clark, which used micropiles, making its neighbors much much happier. The second question South Loop residents ask about any new building is "will you be driving 'pylons' and giving us all headaches for months and causing cracks in our buildings?"

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 5:48 PM

Awesome info Mr Downtown. Chicago foundation work is so fascinating. What is necessary in Chicago doesn't sound much different than what you see in Dubai/the desert. Any good websites where I can learn some more about the different types of foundation strategies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Yes, nearly all the South Loop buildings between Clark and the river have used friction piles, for a combination of reasons (AIUI): loose silty soil where the river wandered over the centuries, and cheaper. For the Roosevelt Collection, Walsh drove more than 40 miles of pilings, which they think is a record. I was surprised when the on-site engineer told me CMK's 14th & Wabash pilings were driven to limestone at -97. I'm guessing the spec was "driven to refusal," which they thought might occur at a lesser depth.

One exception was 1000 S. Clark, which used micropiles, making its neighbors much much happier. The second question South Loop residents ask about any new building is "will you be driving 'pylons' and giving us all headaches for months and causing cracks in our buildings?"

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 4:49 PM

3/18/19

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:28 PM

Amazing building. Amazing pic!

I can't help but get enraged whenever I look at a picture of Grant Park. Columbus Drive makes me CRAZY! I hate it much more than the train tracks. Maybe because it is easy to go over them. Designed to be in a ditch. Would love to have them covered some time, BUT Columus effing Drive. THAT cuts the park up much much more when on foot.

sorry for the rant. NEMA looks so much taller than even the illustrations.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanta721 View Post
Is that the window washing crane sticking out of the top of the cube? Wonder if it will be hidden in its permanent condition or if it will be visible like the one on Essex.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Amazing building. Amazing pic!

I can't help but get enraged whenever I look at a picture of Grant Park. Columbus Drive makes me CRAZY! I hate it much more than the train tracks. Maybe because it is easy to go over them. Designed to be in a ditch. Would love to have them covered some time, BUT Columus effing Drive. THAT cuts the park up much much more when on foot.

sorry for the rant. NEMA looks so much taller than even the illustrations.
Luckily, local parks organizations and environmentalists from Wilmette are using all their fundraising and political clout to strongly advocate for more uninterrupted park space with native plants opposed to mowed stretches of grass in Grant Park and other parks in the city Oh, and I forgot lawsuits

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive