HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 5:35 PM

Gorgeous photos by Michael Rapp! Some folks are having a nip!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 6:08 PM

I know nothing about photography.

Those are really nice pictures but are they natural or would they be digitally enhanced to get the nice colours and sharpness?

And if it's natural I would guess it would be a really high end camera, not your $50 special from Wal-Mart?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 7:32 PM
I am a typical

You can get very good photos from a point and shoot if you know how to use the settings to your advantage and are able to compose the image within the limitations of a fixed lens.

You probably couldn't get those photos with a point-and-shoot though, especially not a $50 camera from Walmart. Some higher end point-and-shoots could do it (in the $150 plus range) with a bit of post-processing but if you want that straight out of camera you need a decent DSLR (the bulkier cameras with detachable lenses) and knowledge of its settings. Even then you still tweak it a little bit in photoshop to get it to look "perfect".

You can't capture things with a camera and have them appear the way you would see them with the naked eye, so that requires post-processing. A camera will either turn out too dark or too light compared to what you would actually see, or the contrast would be too different.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 10:26 PM

If you have high-end cameras (not $150, say $1000) you can get some real nice photos with natural light. Proper lenses to suit the conditions and you're set.

Either way, nice photos!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 12:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If you have high-end cameras (not $150, say $1000) you can get some real nice photos with natural light. Proper lenses to suit the conditions and you're set.

Either way, nice photos!
if you watch kijiji ebay u can get an older model dslr for under 200

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 2:33 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if you watch kijiji ebay u can get an older model dslr for under 200
Don's Photo on north main had a Nikon D90 on consignment for under $400. Crazy good camera for really cheap. I think it was body only though

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 6:40 PM

Winnipeg of Interest?

As this appears to be another (catch-all thread) about winnipeg/and interest in the city, where else can I add more? (pls, don't say Expresso) So Enjoy, I realize probably 75% of posters/browsers on the Winnipeg forum, will have seen this already but 100% of HF posters/browsers will have had a laugh.

Video Link

Winnipeg is...ahhh interesting..have a lot more..

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 1:58 PM

looking for referals for 2 things I have on the go. I know many of you know lots of good people so please send them my way.

1 - hot tub - so far have spoken with Jacuzzi and Beachcomber, any others have positive (or negative) experience with certain brands or retailers

2 - 24 x 31 garage (24x23 garage with a 24x8 screened porch where hot tub will be). so far have quotes from garage masters, star building, jtl construction. i've also contemplated being my own PM and subbing it all out however, with both kids in spring hockey and both in baseball and 1 playing lacrosse, time is limited.

suggestions are welcome

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 4:27 PM

Winnipeg’s most perpetuated myth: Downtown is dangerous

This is an opinion peace article and the link provided is just that imo there is a negative stigma reg: the core of the city and work is underway and much more must be done to further change. I see positives and problems.

Article Link:
Monday, April 22, 2013 Spectator Tribune
By Brett Geisel, Thursday February 28, 2013

Recently at work I was involved in a heated argument about the dangers of being downtown. My colleague vehemently insisted that Downtown Winnipeg is far too dangerous to walk alone, and after dark so full of knife-wielding maniacs that even groups of people should beware. I disagreed.

http://www.spectatortribune.com/arti...-is-dangerous/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Recently at work I was involved in a heated argument about the dangers of being downtown. My colleague vehemently insisted that Downtown Winnipeg is far too dangerous to walk alone, and after dark so full of knife-wielding maniacs that even groups of people should beware. I disagreed.
Personally, I have never had issues in downtown Winnipeg. That said, in talking with female co-workers a number of them have truly horrific accounts of confrontations they have personally had when walking alone. That said, the trend seems to be if you are a guy you have no issues, if you are a lady you may have a different experience. We need to get to a point that it does not matter what your gender is.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:20 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:23 PM

the girlfriend and I both frequent downtown daily(work and pleasure) and have never had issues. we both visit portage place, mtsc, the exchange(east and west), shaw park and a variety of bars/restaurants. she works on broadway and vaughn every day, and parks in an unsupervised parking lot. i work on broadway, king, donald and lombard and almost always use street parking. i have friends that refuse to come to Smokes Poutinery because of where it is located. downtown is only as 'scary' as you make it. we personally have been far more sketched out walking close to east hastings in vancouver. just my opinion, but have managed to change some friends view of downtown by making them experience it for themselves, not in a newspaper column

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Personally, I have never had issues in downtown Winnipeg. That said, in talking with female co-workers a number of them have truly horrific accounts of confrontations they have personally had when walking alone. That said, the trend seems to be if you are a guy you have no issues, if you are a lady you may have a different experience. We need to get to a point that it does not matter what your gender is.
``````````````````````````````````````
I agree with your post ,You just selected a comment that sounds like I made it..
Bold link below from the article I referenced.

```````````````````````````````````````
Original post by me for context:

This is an opinion peace article and the link provided is just that imo there is a negative stigma reg: the core of the city and work is underway and much more must be done to further change. I see positives and problems.

Article Link:
Monday, April 22, 2013 Spectator Tribune
By Brett Geisel, Thursday February 28, 2013
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Otherwise bang on I've worked and socialized in the Selkirk,burrows etc.. ave area..I believe this area as hard "Core"...but in the downtown area as well. "Never" a problem in forever, that's me.(Male). But I talk to females and there is a problem. Men are different and probablly get a reaction/less confrentational than women. Can we get to the point where women can say this?"I believe so", but it will take a very ,very strong will from our political leaders and WPS, who are accountable to our political leaders..IMO

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 11:15 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
This is one of my favourite comics of all time.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 4:41 PM

Four years till... Canada Games

Winnipeg awarded 2017 competition

Together there were dancing children, bouncing mascots and adults in the sharp suits all sharing the same big smile under the canopy at The Forks Friday afternoon.

The reason for the celebration: sport, specifically the announcement Winnipeg will be the official host for the 2017 Canada Summer Games. The tap on the shoulder was merely a formality, as Winnipeg was the only host considered once Brandon's bid was rejected by the Canada Games Council (CGC) late last year.

By: Adam Wazny Posted: 04/27/2013 1:00 AM WFP
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...204992471.html

One more event..positive..130+ Million to winnipeg revenues positve..

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Jane's Walk is this weekend, lots of interesting walks happening:

http://janeswalk.net/index.php/walks/canada/winnipeg/

anyone thinking of checking any of them out? suggestions?

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 7:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
anyone thinking of checking any of them out? suggestions?
I went last year and learned a lot about my neighbourhood. It was very enjoyable. The Riverview one sounds good, it is one of my favourite neighbourhoods.

I'd go this time but autocross is starting this weekend.

http://www.wscc.mb.ca/autocross.php

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:54 AM

The 2nd Architecture & Design Film Festival is continuing through Saturday. There are some really interesting films being screened that would be of interest to many here - I've taken in a couple so far and have really enjoyed them.

Check it out: www.adff.ca

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:09 PM

what a great place to spend some time in the spring & summer in winnipeg!

photo from Free Press website

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 7:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I can't get enough of the ball park. I'd argue it is indeed the prime spot in Winnipeg in the summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan