HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 10:49 PM

Central Catholic High School stadium to be named Bob Benson ‘66 Stadium

Central Catholic High School stadium to be named Bob Benson ‘66 Stadium

Biggest gift in Central Catholic's history!
September 18, 2009

Thanks to a $4 million gift made by Tom and Gayle Benson and Family, the Central Catholic High School Stadium will undergo a name change honoring the memory of an alum.

During special dedication and naming ceremonies to be held at 7 p.m., prior to the first home football game with McCollum High School on Friday, September 18, and in honor of Robert C. Benson, a member of the Class of 1966, the name will be officially changed to: "Bob Benson ‘66 Stadium."

This is the largest gift received by Central Catholic High School in the school’s 157-year history and is the lead gift for a campus expansion plan focused on supporting and enhancing the winning athletic program for which the school has long been recognized. The plan includes upgrading of the stadium and the construction of a new athletic and convocation facility designed to support the school’s overall program of excellence in academics and athletics — with the ultimate goal of developing the whole person.

Read more...
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post

2 Million plus metro, HA HA. What 2 million people spread over 15 counties.

In all honesty Whole Foods is only going to survive in a upper middle class area. That's why there is one in the quarry. Its not far from downtown anyhow. HEB would be better solution for the immediate area.

So when it comes down to it, yes population does count but its not the deciding factor. Income is also in the mix of that equation...
I do not know what people are talking about. Whole Foods is not really a place where you get all your groceries. Its speciality store that would make it anywhere they place it, as long as their is a middle class population around (thats a lot of people). Think of whole foods as a nicer and biggger walgreens or CVS. Every wonder how those places make it?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 6:37 AM

This was posted by Definitive HDR on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 7:43 PM

Ok, I saw the new billion dollar stadium in Arlington on television last night.
We need to build a better stadium then cowboy and Reliant Stadium. We need to steal back our Final Four tournaments from Dallas, and land some Super Bowl games, and NBA All-star games here in SA. Built it near River North, please don't build it far away like near Toyota, or out by Retama Park.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
We need to build a better stadium then cowboy and Reliant Stadium. We need to steal back our Final Four tournaments from Dallas, and land some Super Bowl games, and NBA All-star games here in SA. Built it near River North, please don't build it far away like near Toyota, or out by Retama Park.
This is the reality that is professional football. The stadium cost 1.2 billion.

Do you remember how much of a struggle it was for the Spurs to get their $175 million dollar arena built? They had to settle for land owned by the county (horrible location) and pay for it with a visitor's tax.

What makes you think the city would be willing to build or even could afford a competitive stadium?

The opportunity cost is incredible and the city has so many other real needs.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
This is the reality that is professional football. The stadium cost 1.2 billion.

Do you remember how much of a struggle it was for the Spurs to get their $175 million dollar arena built? They had to settle for land owned by the county (horrible location) and pay for it with a visitor's tax.

What makes you think the city would be willing to build or even could afford a competitive stadium?

Sad but true. Really is too bad about the AT&T Center. City really missed a great chance. We can all imagine the many places they could have possible put it closer to downtown. And liked stated, a stadium incorporated into River North would have just been awesome. Ideal stadium example in Texas would be the American Airliners Center up in Dallas. Wasn’t built too far from the core and in the past few years that area has exploded with development and looks great now, with numerous high rises.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 3:55 AM

Quote:

I would think if Arlington can afford to build Cowboy Stadium, San Antonio can do the same. I was there for the BYU OU game; it's a great venue.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 4:08 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Where the HELL in RN is a giant a-- stadium like that going to fit in without just completely killing the idea of RN?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 4:09 AM

What's wrong with a sports complex ala Philly? The at&t center, an nfl stadium, etc all on the east side. IMO, huge sports stadiums look obnoxious in a downtown urban setting.

Also, why does any new stadium have to be 1 billion or more? Just because Dallas and New York and whoever want to overcompensate we have to too? Indy got a great new stadium for under 700 million.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
What's wrong with a sports complex ala Philly? The at&t center, an nfl stadium, etc all on the east side. IMO, huge sports stadiums look obnoxious in a downtown urban setting.

I see that happening too, at the area between Freeman Coliseum and the tracks to the west or across Houston St.

A football stadium can sometimes be obnoxious. At least a basketball arena will get 40+ games or a baseball park will get 80+ games a year. There is a certain buzz in the air prior to game-time that adds to the experience of a game when the venue is walkable and in an urban setting.
Still, I don't want something like that in RN.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 2:33 PM

The planned aloft hotel downtown is no longer listed on Starwood's website!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...ortType=region

They already scraped plans for locations at Stone Oak and La Cantera.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:01 PM

I would much rather San Antonio pursue a MLB team rather than an NFL team. Too many die-hard Cowboys fans here. A "Wrigley Field" type stadium in River North would be PERFECT. Imagine something like this but with San Antonio's Skyline in the background.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 6:43 PM

Property on East Commerce between Sunset Station and the Holiday Inn Express is going before the zoning commission to approve a new hotel.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 8:16 PM

Work was being done at 411 Bowie. Its the first sign of dirt moving I've seen at that site in a couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Property on East Commerce between Sunset Station and the Holiday Inn Express is going before the zoning commission to approve a new hotel.
What happened to the parking garage for Sunset Station on Hoefgen/Center?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
The planned aloft hotel downtown is no longer listed on Starwood's website!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...ortType=region

They already scraped plans for locations at Stone Oak and La Cantera.
I thought they had advertised a Fall 2009 opening, which of course was never going to be met (even if it was 2010 they couldn't do it).

I'm not surprised that this is delayed. I still think this will eventually get done.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTX View Post
I would much rather San Antonio pursue a MLB team rather than an NFL team. Too many die-hard Cowboys fans here. A "Wrigley Field" type stadium in River North would be PERFECT. Imagine something like this but with San Antonio's Skyline in the background.
I love PNC Park! Prob my favorite stadium in the MLB. Half the game id find myself just looking at the skyline... Pirates haven't been good in years anyways

Id prefer MLB vs NFL... But NFL is alot easier to support as we all know.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:03 PM

Quote:
I thought they had advertised a Fall 2009 opening, which of course was never going to be met (even if it was 2010 they couldn't do it).

I'm not surprised that this is delayed. I still think this will eventually get done.
The developers site lists a 2011 opening.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
How Miami still has a MLB team is beyond understandable, seriously.

They once had a game were only 375 people showed up.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
I love PNC Park! Prob my favorite stadium in the MLB. Half the game id find myself just looking at the skyline... Pirates haven't been good in years anyways

Baseball is one of those sports that I have to be in the stadium to appreciate. Watching a game on TV doesn't come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
The developers site lists a 2011 opening.
Yeah I saw that too. I wouldn't mind it get scrapped for a residential tower of a similar height.
I think they are going to start on the Ace Mart(411 S. Flores) re-use once they get a bit closer to finishing up at Neisners.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 7:07 PM

As far as my comment on a football stadium on River North may have been to strong. I once visited Oklahoma City, and enjoyed my stay in Bricktown, and loved the new baseball stadium that was placed right on the banks. I wish Wolff Stadium wasn't way out in the middle of no where. I would like to see a football and baseball stadium in the River North Area. Area is what I should have said, meaning it can be a few blocks away from the river. When the Alamodome was built it seem that the site where Alamo Iron works seem small but it wasn't.
I'm a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan, so I'm know a lot about the sports complex out in Philadelphia. They have the football, baseball, basketball, and the old Spectrum stadium in the same location.
I'm just a fan of stadiums and arenas being built in downtown locations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio