HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 11:19 PM

Geez

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
It's been nearly 8 years since this thread was created and still not a single building has been constructed. Maybe by year 10 we will have something...
The city is saving it for when they eventually build a 18,000 seat arena to replace Canada Life Centre in 2044.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The city is saving it for when they eventually build a 18,000 seat arena to replace Canada Life Centre in 2044.
We can only hope. Would be much better use than shitty condos for rich old people.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 1:41 PM

^ Imagine, people wanting to live somewhere. Ugh.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
We can only hope. Would be much better use than shitty condos for rich old people.
Versus subsidizing sports arenas for the Chipmans and the Thomsons? I'll take it.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/s...orth-the-cost/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:13 PM

The sewer and water service tender closed within the last couple of weeks for Phase 1. Timeline for that contract's completion is December of this year to allow for building starts right after. You should see activity on-site mid-late summer directly across the street from the CMHR.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:14 PM

Lol… how much are the railside developers paying for their lots? If it’s such desirable land it should be auctioned and sold to the highest bidder. Not given away to developer friends of the forks north portage organization. How much have these developers contributed to the development of the geothermal technologies that will be used to heat their buildings? Why is the forks going to be responsible for garbage removal, graffiti cleanup, landscaping and maintenance of private developers properties? Why will the forks be responsible for leasing out private commercial developments and maintaining these spaces? Railside is the epitome of corporate welfare.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Lol… how much are the railside developers paying for their lots? If it’s such desirable land it should be auctioned and sold to the highest bidder. Not given away to developer friends of the forks north portage organization. How much have these developers contributed to the development of the geothermal technologies that will be used to heat their buildings? Why is the forks going to be responsible for garbage removal, graffiti cleanup, landscaping and maintenance of private developers properties? Why will the forks be responsible for leasing out private commercial developments and maintaining these spaces? Railside is the epitome of corporate welfare.
Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impressions that developers won't own the land these buildings are on but instead it will be "Leased". The logistics of which I won't even attempt to explain as I am not confident in my understanding of it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:25 PM

Yeah I think this was already tossed around and disproven in a previous conversation on this thread.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 3:15 PM

The Inn at The Forks and Johnston Terminal operate under reg land lease model, this is not new for The Forks.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
The sewer and water service tender closed within the last couple of weeks for Phase 1. Timeline for that contract's completion is December of this year to allow for building starts right after. You should see activity on-site mid-late summer directly across the street from the CMHR.
Well that's encouraging news.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 4:39 AM

Was at Forks Friday night (630-800) for beer and pizza and the place was just hopping. Packed with families, seniors and people like me. It was so great to see. Did a short tour of shops and over at Johnson terminal and they were all very quite unfortunately.

I just love it there, would definitely consider making it my "home" when I'm an empty nester in 5-6 yrs. If only I knew when and what they are building!!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 5:59 PM

I’ve always thought that medium density residential at the Forks would appeal to a market that wouldn’t otherwise be interested in living downtown or in the inner city.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 2:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Have you seen the money allocated for the new arena in Calgary, it’s 1.2 B!

Don’t know what Winnipeg does when the time comes to replace our uncomfortable tiny arena!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

Don’t know what Winnipeg does when the time comes to replace our uncomfortable tiny arena!
Our arena isn't even 20 years old... I'm not sure why exactly we would need to replace it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

There's an absolutely crazy amount of public dollars funding that project. I think the original idea was to upgrade it for an Olympics bid (2030?) but Calgary backed out of that, yet the city and province are pitching huge sums of money for a private investors to get a better venue.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 3:52 PM

wrong forum, move discussion elsewhere

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Our arena isn't even 20 years old... I'm not sure why exactly we would need to replace it.
The arena was never designed for a modern NHL team, in spite of what TNSE says. In 15-20 years, the Jets will definitely be making noises about a new arena. Calgary has been wanting a new arena for a decade, after the Saddledome turned 30.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
The arena was never designed for a modern NHL team, in spite of what TNSE says. In 15-20 years, the Jets will definitely be making noises about a new arena. Calgary has been wanting a new arena for a decade, after the Saddledome turned 30.
Yeah, maybe in another 20 years it will be time to start that conversation. But we are nowhere near that point right now.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:37 PM

They are upgrading the Budweiser Lounge this year. It doesn't seem like they have any plans to build a new arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan