HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Maybe I exaggerated a bit with "filler", but in general TV won't make a big impact. Especially when viewed from Central Park, it will be barely visible because of the 57th street behemoths.
This was my thinking. Not quite "filler" but not far off because of the location. Were it right on the Park it would be more noticeable, but with so many taller towers going up so relatively close by, it will easily get lost from many angles.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 11:12 PM

Whether it becomes "filler" or not, it should look quite impressive from the Top of the Rock

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Way to go personal, I like.

Yes, but Tower Verre will be completed in 4 to 5 years. By then it will be barely noticeable*. The top is pretty thin so it won't make much of a dent on the skyline. Midtown is just too massive, it literally absorbs 500 - 900 footers.

*12th tallest building in the city by 2018.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit with "filler", but in general TV won't make a big impact. Especially when viewed from Central Park, it will be barely visible because of the 57th street behemoths.
That`s not the point.
Size is not the only important quality in architecture and it`s definitely not the most important, like a lot of megatall obsessed fan-boys think on these forums.
By any standards this building will be an modern architectural marvel in NYC because of it`s extremely unusual and beautiful structure.
It`s so different from the `let`s build a reinforced concrete structure up to the allowed maximum building height, and slap blue glass on it` approach that seems to be happening a lot these days.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:06 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Oh please.

Quote:
Everytime I'm reminded of the 200ft cut-off, my skyscraper heart hurts. I know the whole story behind it, but still,l I just can't let go. TWO HUNDRED FEET!! Too painful.
Instead of a future icon, we'll get a filler. Beaufitul? Yes. Incredible? Yes. But still a filler.
It bothers me too. Not just because 200 ft has been chopped off, but the reasoning behind it, which was ridiculous then, and is absurd now.

Still, it will be a beautiful addition to the city's stock of glorious skyscrapers. We have a large number of iconic skyscrapers, and this is destined to be up there with the best of them.
The Chrysler Building itself won't rank among the tallest in New York, but it will be no less significant among the glorious works of New York City skyscrapers.

It will also become home to the legendary MOMA, itself with a steady stream of visitors. It will stand out from the street.

And hey, it ranks above One57.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 1:32 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2014/...r-boom/382663/

There's Nothing to Fear From New York's Next Skyscraper Boom
Except for people afraid of heights, no one has any reason to worry about the coming wave of new towers.

KRISTON CAPPS
Nov 13, 2014

Quote:
When Nicolai Ouroussoff got a look at the building that Jean Nouvel designed for New York City back in 2007, he called it "the most exhilarating addition to the skyline in a generation." The architecture critic for The New York Times at the time, Ouroussoff name-checked the heavyweights in his review: Cass Gilbert, who designed the Woolworth Building; the Chrysler Building's William Van Alen; the god Mies van der Rohe. Even the 19th-century English art critic John Ruskin is summoned in praise of Nouvel.

The skyscraper in question, 53 W. 53rd Street, adjacent to the Museum of Modern Art, isn't finished yet. Construction has only just begun. But history has already vindicated Ouroussoff's untethered praise.

If New Yorkers once saw their skyline as the great citadel of capitalism, who could blame them? We had the best toys of all.

But for the last few decades or so, that honor has shifted to places like Singapore, Beijing and Dubai, while Manhattan settled for the predictable.

Perhaps that’s about to change.

It's no longer a question. There's now a date set for the return of new New York architecture: 2018.

That's the year that Nouvel's MoMA Tower at 53 W. 53rd Street, a Hines development, is scheduled to be completed—along with quite a few other projects in Midtown. CityRealty just released the rendering above to promote 53W53 and showcase what Manhattan will look like in 2018, once the many projects currently under construction or in development around Central Park are completed.

Not all of them are so beloved as Nouvel's tower. "One57 is Exhibit A in what we should be able to prevent," writes Michael Kimmelman, the present-day architecture critic for The New York Times, in a stern note last December. That project's architect, Christian de Portzamparc, like Nouvel, is a Pritzker Prize–winning designer. Rising 1,000 feet over Central Park at 157 West 57th Street today, One57 boasts penthouses that are reportedly selling for as much as $90 million—but it is not more admired for beating 53W53 to the punch. "It's anybody's guess how the building got past the drawing board," Kimmelman writes.

The CityRealty rendering includes these two projects and at least two-dozen more, most of them supertall skyscrapers clustered around Midtown's much-maligned Billionaire's Row. These aren't the finest renderings of the individual projects made to date, not by a long shot, but they do convey the scale of the skyscraper boom taking shape in New York right now.

While few of these projects have yet to arrive, they are already changing Manhattan in measurable ways. New York Daily News reporter Katherine Clarke runs down how Midtown residents are making way for the future now. Don't pity the millionaires being displaced by the billionaires too much: Some long-term residents are looking to sell their moderately priced (million-dollar) condos to "buyers who’ve been lured to the area by the dazzling new towers but can’t quite afford the price tags."

Clarke's report sounds a lot like filtering at work. Economic success drives metropolitan movement, and in Midtown Manhattan, economic success at the global level is creating the conditions whereby many who are not billionaires stand to gain. Increasing the supply at the luxury level, even at the stratospheric level, can help workers and residents of many different classes to move on up. Filtering is one reason why no one should fear the skyscraper boom: Eventually, it can help create the conditions of a more affordable New York.

Many critics don't see how building luxury pieds-à-terre for foreign billionaires helps anyone at all. The developer Ofer Yardeni is one of many who thinks that this unprecedented scale of luxury development indicates a residential bubble that is ready to pop. The Municipal Art Society has emerged as a locus of dissent regarding the cultural changes that a skyscraper boom augurs, especially regarding uses around Central Park.

.....While construction in Midtown has been defined by the emerging super-skinny supertall-tower typology—with relatively little square footage and few units—there are many more towers on the horizon in New York. The second wave of the skyscraper boom includes more modestly scaled towers, most of them about 600 feet in height, in places like Williamsburg, Long Island City, and Hudson Yards.

These buildings promise to increase residential housing at many scales, including rental housing, but they face long odds from incumbent homeowners and residents. Protests over the Domino Sugar factory development in Williamsburg have mostly subsided, but elsewhere—in Queens, Brooklyn, and in Harlem and on the Upper West Side—objections to planned developments still stand.

Such developments don't challenge the skyline the way that new supertall skyscrapers do (or the way that critics fear that they do). The key to building a more affordable New York by 2018 will be supporting the construction that complements the supreme-luxury residential towers in Midtown: Residential and rental buildings with some affordable-housing set-asides, yes, but also more condos. Rezoning Hudson Yards to allow more residential construction would be a start. Eliminating the punitive state limit on residential density would be even better. But acknowledging that increasing the supply—even high in the sky—can boost fortunes for everyone is crucial to the debate.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 2:44 PM

What is with all the hate directed towards One57?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:20 PM
BANNED

That architecture critic is insane and delusional about the power of architects and the importance of design in getting a building done. He must still live in world where only top notch architects determine what buildings look like and design is the #1 factor in what gets the go ahead and what gets canned. No, sorry, the building got off the drawing board because it fitted the criteria the developer wanted and the city. hasn't be been following what actually gets built and what is a mere fantasy in NYC over the last decade or so? The vast majority of towers are compromises and are not grand pure visions sprung from the creative genius of architects. So to say he is bemused that One57 got built is just a dumb statement from a NY architecture critic. It's a business investment, pure and simple to the people with the money, and of course it doesn't need to be the embodiment of design perfection to get built. Poor fella can't seem to grasp that. All in all, he sounds a guy with very little practical understanding of NYC. Anyway, One 57 is more interesting than most buildings built over the last 20 years since i've followd NYC and this fool has no clue. I bet he'd be happy with a glass box. Step down from the ivory tower a bit and stop with the elitist rubbish you expound.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 1:17 AM
New Yorker for life

One57 got built, and relatively easily, because the it was designed to fit within the zoning. The Tower Verre wasn't designed as such, and as a result, faced the wrath of the community and the whim of the planning director, the result being a 200 ft chop off the top. Guess which development process current developers are following?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:21 PM
BANNED

One of the world's greatest towers is set to rise!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Being so close to watching this rise almost gives me the chills...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 1:48 AM
BANNED

I agree.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Perfection!

http://www.adamson-associates.com/project/moma-tower

Designed by Ateliers Jean Nouvel, this new iconic residential development is located adjacent to the existing Museum of Modern Art. The design features a faceted exterior that tapers to a set of three distinct asymmetrical crystalline peaks at the apex of the tower – each peak varying in height and shape. The 750,000 sf building will rise 1,050 feet from the sidewalk. The typical residential floor-to-floor height will be twelve feet.

Housing high-end residential condominiums, a luxury hotel, in addition to the MoMA expansion, the tower will create a dramatic addition to the Manhattan skyline.
Design Architect:
Ateliers Jean Nouvel
Architect of Record:
AAI Architects, P.C.
Client:
Hines Interests/Goldman Sachs
Size:
750,000 sf / 69,675 sm
Completion:
In progress
Categories:
Hotel and Residential

http://53w53.com

Last edited by JR Ewing; Nov 23, 2014 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Perfection!
Those are old renderings of the building before Amanda Burden decided it didn't deserve to share air space with the Empire State Building.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 8:51 PM
BANNED

No. They're current.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
No. They're current.
The building retains many of the same characteristics as the renderings you posted, but those renderings are years old. This thread has the new renderings throughout.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
The building retains many of the same characteristics as the renderings you posted, but those renderings are years old. This thread has the new renderings throughout.
I know all about the building. I work nearby. Those are current renderings from Hines' and Adamson's websites.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I know all about the building. I work nearby. Those are current renderings from Hines' and Adamson's websites.
I don't know how many more people are going to have to tell you that those renderings are old, but let me throw my hat in the ring: those renderings are old

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
I don't know how many more people are going to have to tell you that those renderings are old, but let me throw my hat in the ring: those renderings are old
Ok, Jackie. Hines' website and its architect's are wrong. I guess you see the image on the site a lot when you come into NY from the Island.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Ok, Jackie. Hines' website and its architect's are wrong. I guess you see the image on the site a lot when you come into NY from the Island.
I do actually. Just walked by the site today. The images you posted are the original 1250 foot version ones!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive