HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
As we wait for further news on the transformational Grand-Milwaukee-Green redevelopment news, something else new is already occurring at that six-way intersection: One corner clockwise from that site (I think the address works out to 501 N Milwaukee) a 7-Eleven is getting ready to open. I'm not sure what was in that space before, maybe a bank, but it is right next to a subway entrance and alongside bus stops, so it should be a great fit.
It was a WaMu bank branch

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:41 PM

^^^ Dang, so that space must have been vacant for a while. As horrible as it sounds, I'll take a 7/11 over a bank branch any day. We already have too many bank branches in an era where most money moves electronically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, the new windows will resemble double-hung windows but they probably won't be operable.
Doesn't fire code require at least one operable window per room? Or is that only for residential units, not hotels? I have a feeling they will be operable.

That said, why don't the windows in Trump Tower/Hotel open? They were clearly designed to vent, but they have been secured shut.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:54 PM
Urbane observer

Only residential unit windows must be "operable." The reason I put it in quotes is that in buildings taller than 300 feet or so, they often require a special tool like a hex wrench to open.

I always thought the solution used at Lake Point Tower was most ingenious. At windowsill height every unit has what looks like a radiator cover, with narrow grillwork. Below the grill, and also below the vision glass, is a louvered opening. Opening a damper in the "radiator cover" allows fresh air to flow from louver to grill, with no risk to lightweight objects or small pets and children.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:23 AM
MPLSXCHI

z

Last edited by munchymunch; Feb 12, 2014 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Who would those be, exactly? Chicago only has six city planners to approve whatever developers want. The poor guys can only rubber-stamp so fast.

Old ground, this - but still most be covered - as many times as it takes. Chicago only has six city planners to approve whatever the local alderman (and in those rare, highest profile cases, whatever the mayor) wants. This is where the power lies. Sometimes the alderman might agree up front with the developer (whatever the actual planning merits). Sometimes the alderman may have forced changes from the developer to get what he/she wants before the public neighborhood dog and pony show (whatever the actual planning merits). Sometimes, the alderman doesn't give a flying f$c#, so long as they get the $ amount he/she is looking for (whatever the actual planning merits). These are among other situations. Point is, focus on where the actual power lies - it's with the alderman.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
You are right about Coast but dead wrong on Gems.... a good friend at bKL has been leading the design work on everything after Coast...
This is what I thought as well - that Wolf Point West, 200 North Michigan, GEMs, etc is all design from after Mssrs Brininstool and Lynch departed. I actually love both firms' work. There is some fierce talent at bKL (if anybody ever walks around the base of Aqua, you can actually look into their studio and perhaps even catch glimpses of designs/renderings etc not yet publicly released, hint hint), and I've long been a fan of Brininstool + Lynch's portfolio...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

two Evanston mid-rise developments in the works.

dubious designs, but at least both projects would fill long-neglected empty-lot holes in the urban fabric.

1515 Chicago Ave.
8 story extended stay hotel

source: http://evanstonnow.com/story/busines...pment-trifecta

835 Chicago Ave.
9 story mixed-use building (office, residential, retail)

source: http://evanstonnow.com/story/busines...pment-trifecta

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:36 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ly-in-block-37
Richard Sandoval plans Latin version of Eataly in Block 37
February 06, 2014

Chef and restaurateur Richard Sandoval wants to open a Latin-themed version of Eataly on Block 37's third floor — just a lot smaller.

The layout would emulate the new Italian emporium except with Latin foodstuffs for sale among 11 food stations. Mr. Sandoval's project would be 28,000 square feet. Eataly is more than twice that size.

"This (food-station idea) is something I've wanted to do for a long time," said Mr. Sandoval, chief executive officer of New York-based Richard Sandoval Group, which owns 40 restaurants around the world. "This opportunity came up."

It would be a larger version of the Commissary food court he created for the Downtown Grand Las Vegas hotel.

He's aiming to have Block 37's food court open by December, a timeframe he admits is "very aggressive."

Just worth re-posting. CIM Group sure has a lot of work ahead of them over the next few quarters, but I have a strong feeling that those here that doubt the low-rise completed portion of Block 37 can ever be successful (financially/activity-wise, not talking architecture/urban design) as the retail/dining/entertainment center it was envisaged as when built will be proven wrong in a year's time (15 months at the outside). This should be a great, successful concept. By the way, Eataly would have been an enormous success as well if it had gone into Block 37. I see some here who still fall for antiquated notions as the Loop being some sort of single-use/daytime/lunch/transit only type area. Very nonsensical in modern times - almost a throwback to 90s era misconceptions. Mixed-use/numerous and varied demand sources and drivers is the order of the day, and I think this will finally shine through. Also, I think the high-rise phase at Block 37 is going to catch a lot of folks off-guard by getting under way a lot sooner than probably most suspect.

Also, on the subject of State Street, I have this recurring dream of a Whole Foods opening in the Sears space. If anyone can think of a better, more slam-dunk replacement tenant, I'm all ears - but this idea might even warrant a letter-writing campaign!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:41 PM

So, I put together another map. This time it's using Google's new map engine. This is basically bigger projects that are either (a) under construction, (b) recently completed, or (c) Planned and have some sort of substance that they may start up in the next year or two. I also included a number of hotel rehabs (and one condo/apartment rehab - Chicago Athletic Club bldg) including SoHo House and the one in Chinatown. Most of these projects are major, but there are some 20-60 unit places listed on here. I didn't list the Spire, the other two Wolf Point towers, or the Old Post Office redevelopment

PLEASE tell me if I missed anything (I'm sure I did), if anything shouldn't be on there, if I am in copyright violation of the images shown when you click on a marker, etc.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kBT6CjkYv1Tw

Legend:
* Light Green = Under Construction housing/mixed use/office
* Dark Green = Site Prep housing/mixed use/office
* Blue = Proposed housing/mixed use/office
* Black = Completed housing/mixed use/office
* Dark grey = Completed housing/hotel rehab
* Puke Green = Under construction hotel, office, or housing conversion/rehab
* Purple = Planned hotel or housing rehab
* Dark Orange = School/events/sports center/Medical/retail construction
* Light Orange = Planned school/events/sports center/Medical/retail new construction

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 7:34 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So, I put together another map. This time it's using Google's new map engine. This is basically bigger projects that are either (a) under construction, (b) recently completed, or (c) Planned and have some sort of substance that they may start up in the next year or two. I also included a number of hotel rehabs (and one condo/apartment rehab - Chicago Athletic Club bldg) including SoHo House and the one in Chinatown. Most of these projects are major, but there are some 20-60 unit places listed on here. I didn't list the Spire, the other two Wolf Point towers, or the Old Post Office redevelopment

PLEASE tell me if I missed anything (I'm sure I did), if anything shouldn't be on there, if I am in copyright violation of the images shown when you click on a marker, etc.

Legend:
* Light Green = Under Construction housing/mixed use/office
* Dark Green = Site Prep housing/mixed use/office
* Blue = Proposed housing/mixed use/office
* Black = Completed housing/mixed use/office
* Dark grey = Completed housing/hotel rehab
* Puke Green = Under construction hotel, office, or housing conversion/rehab
* Purple = Planned hotel or housing rehab
* Dark Orange = School/events/sports center/Medical/retail construction
* Light Orange = Planned school/events/sports center/Medical/retail new construction
^ Seriously this is awesome! I am very curious about the Shops and Lofts at 47th. Has anybody been by that project to see how far along it is?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Also, I think the high-rise phase at Block 37 is going to catch a lot of folks off-guard by getting under way a lot sooner than probably most suspect.
....Interesting. Some insider info on this?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Is this 8-story midrise still being planned?
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...esurrected.php

The Walgreens at this site is now vacant. Would love to see this happen.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Seriously this is awesome! I am very curious about the Shops and Lofts at 47th. Has anybody been by that project to see how far along it is?
Thanks. I haven't, but according to a few sources they DID break ground. This site has a story and pictures on it under construction from early June. I think there are also 9 or 10 more units going up around the corner too, if they aren't already finished. I've added a few more since I posted this too and have more to add like a big apartment addition in the West Loop. I'm going through my building permits now.

http://redlineproject.org/47thblock47.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMendigo View Post
Is this 8-story midrise still being planned?
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...esurrected.php

The Walgreens at this site is now vacant. Would love to see this happen.
Not sure, but I totally forgot about that. I'm going to add it anyway because it could totally happen. There's another proposal near it too at 504-514 W Diversey. Two buildings 15 and 11 stories, 120 total units (http://lakeview.patch.com/groups/edi...become-reality)

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Just worth re-posting. CIM Group sure has a lot of work ahead of them over the next few quarters, but I have a strong feeling that those here that doubt the low-rise completed portion of Block 37 can ever be successful (financially/activity-wise, not talking architecture/urban design) as the retail/dining/entertainment center it was envisaged as when built will be proven wrong in a year's time (15 months at the outside).
FYI, no one is arguing that B37 can never be successful, we are arguing that it can never be successful as an indoor mall. B37 was not envisioned as a nightlife center, it was envisioned as a retail mall. As I said before, B37 will never be successful without a major derivation from the original plans because retailers will never take that space because of foottraffic concerns. Now I totally agree that Eataly would have done great in B37. Because Eataly is their own draw. They don't survive off of foot traffic alone, they generate their own. I consider such a large, single tenant use, a major shift from the original plans of a mix of different retailers a la Water Tower Place.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much for this! Terrific job. This is great for those like me who visit this site periodically, and often miss some of these projects.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:

Also, on the subject of State Street, I have this recurring dream of a Whole Foods opening in the Sears space. If anyone can think of a better, more slam-dunk replacement tenant, I'm all ears - but this idea might even warrant a letter-writing campaign!
That'd be great, but I think CPS is actually filling most of the first three floors of the building.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:52 AM

TUP, I've been at the 47th street project as recently as December, I think, and they basically had the entire steel frame up, all four stories, or whatever it is. I couldn't quite tell, but it looked possible there was going to be a big surface lot on Cottage Grove south of the intersection. It is going to have a Walmart grocery, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:10 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I consider such a large, single tenant use, a major shift from the original plans of a mix of different retailers a la Water Tower Place.
IIRC some sort of gourmet food hall was always going to be in the plan. The unique thing about Eataly is the interplay between dining and retail, where a food court is crossed with a public market.

I don't know if Sandoval's concept will have the same breakout success as Eataly, though. Both hardcore and amateur foodies had undoubtedly visited or even heard about Eataly from the New York location, so many Chicagoans greeted our Eataly location with high expectations and open pocketbooks. Sandoval's thing is a little riskier.

Since Chicago has such a strong Latino population, I hope Sandoval is able to reach out to local restaurants and suppliers for the market, and make his place a new high-end complement to Chicago's Latino markets instead of a Disneyland parody of them.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
That'd be great, but I think CPS is actually filling most of the first three floors of the building.
At least half of - if not more - of the first floor will remain retail I believe. It would be financially stupid for the landlord to not keep a good deal of retail, at least on the first floor, because they could get probably at least 4-5x the rent for retail space as office here...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:04 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
IIRC some sort of gourmet food hall was always going to be in the plan.

Yes. The third floor was always slated to be at least around half-occupied (l20,000-30,000 sq ft) by such a concept. It was to be run by LEYE previously. The 3rd and 4th floors are still to be multi tenant....several additional tenants on the 3rd floor and 2 on the 4th....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development