HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:08 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Update on construction at Huntsville International Airport..

The Taxiway L project will allow direct connection from the cargo terminals
to the 12,600' west runway. This will accomodate 747 and A380 freighters,
and will allow concourse expansion.

By MARIAN ACCARDI
Times Business Writer marian.accardi@htimes.com
Expanded area could be open for business Saturday, official says

Huntsville International Airport passengers will soon be able to take advantage of some of the improvements in the airport's $65 million expansion and renovation project.

A new and expanded concession area could be ready by Saturday, said Luther "Butch" Roberts Jr., the airport's deputy director. The concessions area, located in the airport's concourse, will more than double to about 6,000 square feet.

Huntsville International is the first airport to have a retail Gevalia coffee location, with gourmet coffee and specialty tea, and will be the first airport with a McAllister's Deli. The concessions area will also have pizza and Breyer's ice cream. Next to concessions will be an upscale, full-service bar with grab-and-go food and beverages.

The concessions are managed by Memphis-based Air Host Inc.

All of the remodeled Four Points by Sheraton restaurant and lounge should also be ready by the weekend, Roberts said. The restaurant has a new bar, seating area with a fireplace and new meeting rooms and boardroom.

At a Tuesday morning meeting of the Huntsville/Madison County Airport Authority, Roberts gave an update on other construction projects, not all of them in the terminal improvement program.

The projects and their estimated completion dates are:

Parking deck expansion, which will add more than 1,300 spaces, bringing the number of deck spaces to more than 2,900 - December.

Public waiting expansion, which will add 14,000 square feet, bringing the waiting space area to 20,000 square feet, with seating for more than 200 people - June 2009.

A new air cargo building at the International Intermodal Center, which will include about 92,000 square feet - February 2009.

Security system improvement - October.

Taxiway "L" between the airport's east and west runways - October.

Dirt work on a new Jetplex Industrial Park north access road linking the airport's entrance to Wall Triana Highway - July.

The switch from the airport's air traffic control tower to the new 219-foot, $20.7 million tower is expected to occur at midnight on May 4, said Roberts.

The new tower is twice as tall as the structure built 40 years ago. The new tower is located to the south of the older one.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Good. I'm all for a toll road. Would the booths at the Arsenal exits be staffed by MPs, NASA Police, and Toll Collectors or would it all be electronic for transponders and guard shacks for visual examinations only?
Why would you be "All for it", after knowing that a huge percentage of Madison County's gasoline tax revenue is diverted elsewhere, and now we are expected to pay for our own roads out-of-pocket as well?

I am "all for" eliminating fraud, waste, and abuse in our State Government.

Greg K. Cooper

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:22 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Ketchup, a interesting restaurant, is scheduled to open April 15th at Bridge Street. Just about everything on their menus sounds delicious, there is a bit of sticker shock but people know that going in.

http://www.dolcegroup.com/ketchup/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcooper View Post
Why would you be "All for it", after knowing that a huge percentage of Madison County's gasoline tax revenue is diverted elsewhere, and now we are expected to pay for our own roads out-of-pocket as well?

I am "all for" eliminating fraud, waste, and abuse in our State Government.

Greg K. Cooper
While I don't necessarily agree with toll roads in areas with limited population and I definitely don't agree with how the state neglects Madison Country in allocating road funds, this toll road is the only way we will ever see this project or any other major project like this completed in our lifetime. Since Patriot Parkway, also known as the Southern Bypass is part of the proposed Huntsville to Atlanta expressway, are they considering building the entire thing as a toll road?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 12:15 PM
America's Mars Rocket

The Westin opens

By MARIAN ACCARDI
Times Business Writer marian.accardi@htimes.com
$45M hotel hasplenty to offervisitors, residents

A key piece of the Bridge Street Town Centre complex - The Westin Huntsville - opens Saturday morning.

The $45 million hotel, at 6800 Governors West in Cummings Research Park, is Huntsville's first four-star hotel and the state's first Westin. It has 210 rooms and suites and 74 residential condominiums on the top six floors.

The hotel has 7,900 square feet of event space that can be divided into six meeting rooms; a 7,972-square-foot ballroom, the largest hotel ballroom in Huntsville, which can accommodate up to 600 people at a seated dinner; and a boardroom that seats 16.

Already, 97 groups have booked events - from weddings and receptions to meetings and conferences - over the next 15 months, said Steve Ragsdale, Westin general manager.

The hotel also has a restaurant, Sage Grille, which seats 60, as well as a lounge, fitness center, indoor/outdoor heated pool and outdoor courtyard.

The Heavenly Space spa by Westin opened in December.

Westin room rates range from $179 to $239 a night.

Of the 74 condos, 35 are under contract or are reserved with a deposit, said Rachel Forman, vice president of corporate marketing for O&S Holdings LLC, Bridge Street's developer based in Santa Monica, Calif.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
America's Mars Rocket

The rumors are strong that a grocer will locate in the Village of Providence, probably next to the Mellow Mushroom. It could possibly be a Whole Foods Market or Urban Style Publix. This has always been part of the plan for that area.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 1:53 PM

Harvest is getting an Advance Auto Parts

Construction has already started on the new Advance Auto Parts in Harvest. It will be located just south of the new Harvest Square Publix on 53/Jeff.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 1:28 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Huntsville, Decatur and Athens all now are basically connected,at least on a map.
Alabama's MetroPlex maybe? This has the potential to be a development gold mine.
City annexes nearly 3,000 more acres in Limestone County
Posted by John Peck April 14, 2008 5:26 PM

Huntsville's westward expansion continues.

At a special called meeting, the Huntsville City Council voted unanimously this evening to annex nearly 2,878 acres (4.5 square miles) of Limestone County immediately southwest of the Athens city limts.

The move pushes Huntsville's corporate limits to 202 square miles with prized frontage on Interstate 65 where an interchange is planned for the future Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta freeway.

City Planning Director Dallas Fanning said the annexed property is mostly farmland with no houses and a closed cotton gin as its only main structure.

One of the property owners, Harrison McMains III, said he "loves Athens and Limestone Coutny, but Huntsville has the most resources and offers the best chance to increase the property value with future development."

The annexation comes at the heels of an annexation last month of nearly 5,000 acres in Limestone County. The previous annexation, also in the Greenbrier/Powell roads area in far west Huntsville, provided a pathway for the latest property acquisition. State law requires any annexed land to be continguous to the city limits of the annexing municipality.

"They would have preferred not to have to annex but felt like they have to do something to protect their property in the future," Huntsville Planning Director Dallas Fanning said. "They had a choice between Athens, Huntsville and Madison and they chose Huntsville."

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 1:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

^^^ I wish that Decatur would do what Huntsville is doing. I don't really agree with just gobbling up land everywhere that's available, but what Huntsville is doing will affect what happens in the future. If Decatur wants to remain a player in the future of the North Alabama economy it needs to annex some more property in Limestone AND Morgan County.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:13 AM

Word has it that Decatur currently has trouble delivering services such as water and sewer to areas that are already in its city limits. The city doesn't have the money to go through the long process (due to environmental constraints) of extending the full service of utilities east of Wheeler NWR to the Hickory Hills and Burning Tree areas near Priceville.

If Decatur were smart, it would focus primarily on expanding south and west in Morgan County. That's where the city naturally sprawls, and with a new Beltline in the works, who knows what kinds of opportunities that would create.

Annexing areas that you cannot provide services to for what's expected of a city your size is not smart in the long term. Just ask Madison. Madison continues to get its utilities, including water and sewer, from Huntsville. This leaves the city in no financial position to dictate many of its day-to-day operations, and leaves less money flowing through the city's coffers, which affects its ability to issue bonds. Huntsville wins out in the end because it's the city in the region that has the ability to provide such services to newly incorporated but sparsely developed areas to spur future development. The cycle then repeats itself.

I can't speak for Athens, but it seems that of all the four major municipalities in the area, it's the least progressive and most insular in terms of development.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:18 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Word has it that Decatur currently has trouble delivering services such as water and sewer to areas that are already in its city limits. The city doesn't have the money to go through the long process (due to environmental constraints) of extending the full service of utilities east of Wheeler NWR to the Hickory Hills and Burning Tree areas near Priceville.

If Decatur were smart, it would focus primarily on expanding south and west in Morgan County. That's where the city naturally sprawls, and with a new Beltline in the works, who knows what kinds of opportunities that would create.

Annexing areas that you cannot provide services to for what's expected of a city your size is not smart in the long term. Just ask Madison. Madison continues to get its utilities, including water and sewer, from Huntsville. This leaves the city in no financial position to dictate many of its day-to-day operations, and leaves less money flowing through the city's coffers, which affects its ability to issue bonds. Huntsville wins out in the end because it's the city in the region that has the ability to provide such services to newly incorporated but sparsely developed areas to spur future development. The cycle then repeats itself.

I can't speak for Athens, but it seems that of all the four major municipalities in the area, it's the least progressive and most insular in terms of development.
I don't know where you got the idea that the city has trouble getting service to areas in Hickory Hills and Burningtree. I know a lot of people out there, and they all have full utilities. There is already full service out there provided by Decatur, and if it can't be provided by Decatur then I'm sure Priceville took take it up. The new 600 lot subdivision being built next to Burningtree is going to have full sewer access, so there's obviously everything in place. Also, the Limestone portions of Decatur also have full access to water and sewer lines which were put in place years ago to encourage development like the future Sweetwater project.

I wouldn't say that annexing is bad for a city in terms of development. The way I look at it, development is going to occur there anyways so the city might as well take advantage of it. The main reason Huntsville annexed what it did was because it wanted the land that the TVA Megasite will sit on, as well as where the new Brownsferry Road interchange will be. I'm surprised Athens just say back and relaxed while Huntsville did this.

As for where Decatur SHOULD expand. I think it would greatly benefit it to annex some more land in Limestone to keep Huntsville from encroaching on southwestern portions of Limestone that would jeopardize Decatur's future chances of taking advantage of large developments across the river. Plus, all that land will be eventually occupied by the Memphis-Atlanta Highway, so it would be prime real estate in the future. You are right, the city should also focus on expanding within Morgan County. I'm surprised that the city hasn't taken steps to annex land in Lawrence County. Rural areas over there are ripe for development, especially along AL 24 between Decatur and Moulton. That road gets a lot of traffic from commuters. The AL 20/Alt 72 corridor is also another road that the city needs to expand along, but unfortunately if can't do that with Trinity in the way, which I think the city should attempt to annex.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 1:45 PM

Is this a good idea? I think there needs to be some sort of power given to the county to control all the growth and development in the unincorporated areas. Madison County is not really rural anymore and is rapidly becoming suburbanized.

Commissioners talk of seeking home rule again
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
By STEVE DOYLE
Times Staff Writer steve.doyle@htimes.com

County and cities must team up, Harrison says

The Madison County Commission may be ready to make another run at an elusive goal: home rule powers.

Commission Chairman Mike Gillespie said Monday the county first asked state lawmakers for home rule powers in 1991 with a bill endorsed by the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce, homebuilders and other business leaders.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletim.......xml&coll=1

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 3:11 PM
Huntsville Metro Now!

Huntsville_secede,

I would prefer some sort of metro government that would enhance cooperation among Huntsville, Madison, Triana, New Hope and all of the county areas. The fact that Huntsville is eagerly gobbling up land in Limestone county shows that it is a city capable of expanding its services to far flung locations. If there was some way to move into metro government without overly affecting the school system in Madison or Madison county, it might work. The school system issue will be the #1 barrier to a metro government.

Just a thought...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:10 PM

I am hopeful that someday Harvest/Monrovia will incorporate before it is gobbled up by Huntsville.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Is this a good idea? I think there needs to be some sort of power given to the county to control all the growth and development in the unincorporated areas. Madison County is not really rural anymore and is rapidly becoming suburbanized.

Commissioners talk of seeking home rule again
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
By STEVE DOYLE
Times Staff Writer steve.doyle@htimes.com

County and cities must team up, Harrison says

The Madison County Commission may be ready to make another run at an elusive goal: home rule powers.

Commission Chairman Mike Gillespie said Monday the county first asked state lawmakers for home rule powers in 1991 with a bill endorsed by the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce, homebuilders and other business leaders.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletim.......xml&coll=1
What? Madison County already has home rule powers, and is one of only 7 counties in the state granted that privilege. If what they really mean is expanded home rule powers to dictate land use, then I could see their point.

The subdivisions on 2-lane county roads all over the northern half of the county are like a plague. I'm all for incorporation of those areas, whether it be by Huntsville or whether they form their own municipalities. Most people who move out to these places though like it because their property taxes are lower. But you do get what you pay for by living in the city limits.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
What? Madison County already has home rule powers, and is one of only 7 counties in the state granted that privilege. If what they really mean is expanded home rule powers to dictate land use, then I could see their point.

The subdivisions on 2-lane county roads all over the northern half of the county are like a plague. I'm all for incorporation of those areas, whether it be by Huntsville or whether they form their own municipalities. Most people who move out to these places though like it because their property taxes are lower. But you do get what you pay for by living in the city limits.
They'll regret the nightmare that is going to result from construction of thousands of homes in the county and the lack of road and school planning. Its starting to be too many people living in the county in places like Harvest/Monorvia and NE Madison County to not have some kind of government which will also bring along new taxes. Sorry but you gave up your right for really low taxes, and no governing when you allowed so many subdivisions to be constructed in the county. Its funny to drive by 2 lane roads like Jeff with some of the largest schools in the state. I mean they can continue to vote down any tax increases for stuff like new schools and road construction but expect the quality of life in the county to go down quickly with so many people moving out there and no planning whatsoever.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:26 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This is a fabulous area up until now not seen by many, and now saved forever.

By JOHN PECK
Times Staff Writer john.peck@htimes.com

Nature lovers and people who just need an outing to shake off the winter blues can visit the Goldsmith-Schiffman Wildlife Sanctuary this weekend.

Saturday April 5th marked the grand opening of the 400-acre nature preserve.

City ecologist Soos Weber encourages participants to bring binoculars and wear outdoor clothing and boots.

"There's probably not a piece of property quite like this in the Madison County area, including the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge," Weber said. "It's got a multitude of springs that come out of limestone bluffs and there are blue holes throughout where beavers have dammed up the springs into a big beaver pond that attracts ducks and other waterfowl."

Impressive plants

The sanctuary is also teeming with impressive plants and trees, including a state champion white oak, Tupelo trees and a multitude of flowering plants.

The Hays Nature Preserve and nearby Goldsmith-Schiffman Wildlife Sanctuary were made possible by huge land gifts by the Hays, Goldsmith, Schiffman and Ellet families in 2003.

Weber recently formed a Friends of the Preserve and Sanctuary, a nonprofit group that will help raise money for an interpretive center and a treetop nature center.

For more information, visit the Web site at www.huntsvillepreserves.com.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 12:22 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Slow down before the storm? I've seen this in my neighborhood, people bought and moved in house but having hard time selling old home out west.

By GINA HANNAH
Times Business Writer gina.hannah@htimes.com
Building permitsalso have droppedby 43 percent

Existing home sales in the Huntsville area dropped more than 24 percent during the first three months of 2008.

During the first quarter, 999 homes sold in the Huntsville market, down from 1,321 for the same period last year, according to the North Alabama Multiple Listing Service for Madison, Limestone, Jackson, Marshall and Morgan counties.

March saw the largest drop, with home sales plunging 27.3 percent, from 542 in March 2007 to 394 this year.

Tommy Adams, owner and broker at Rise Real Estate, blamed the drop on several factors, including tighter mortgage lending guidelines, higher gas prices and the deflated housing market elsewhere.

"People coming here can't sell their houses back home," said Adams, who has been selling homes in the Huntsville market for more than 30 years, including the late 1970s, when mortgage interest rates were 18 percent.

It's a buyers' market right now. A couple of years ago, homeowners trying to sell a house often got multiple offers, Adams said. Now, "we're overbuilt. With a lot of inventory on the ground, it's working us to death because people want to look at so many houses," he said.

"The selection is tremendous."

While investors have snatched up houses to flip and builders laid footings for new homes in anticipation of more than 4,000 Pentagon job transfers, "there have not been as many (moves), not as fast as expected," Adams said. "All the builders went out and built three or four extra houses, and now we have a glut."

The first-quarter sales numbers reflect national trends: For February, the most recent report available, sales dropped 19.4 percent from the same month last year, from 387,000 homes to 312,000, according to the National Association of Realtors. Existing home sales for March will be released April 22.
New construction

According to the Huntsville/Madison County Builders Association, housing permits in Madison County dropped from 910 in the first quarter of 2007 to 516 in the same quarter this year, a decline of more than 43 percent.

John Allen, president of Southern Construction & Design Inc., a custom builder and president of the builders association, said he right now is the "calm before the storm," when more defense jobs will move here during the next few years. He said the drop in permits could be because of a number of factors, including weather and the pace of large "production builders" that have been putting up homes here.

Allen estimated that there's now an inventory of about 3,400 new homes on the market, and about 15,000 total jobs expected to land here, including defense contractors and peripheral support jobs.

"We're going to be very busy," Allen said.

Joe Murphy, a real estate developer who also collects housing data for MarketGraphics Research Group, said his data show Madison County had 872 new home permits during the first quarter. He was unsure why his numbers differ from those of the builders association.

He said the Huntsville area housing market is "amazingly strong" and there's a good possibility that building won't be able to keep up with demand in a couple of years.

"Last fall showed some overbuilding, but sales are up and inventories are down and shrinking," he said.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 12:30 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Construction set to begin for new health and wellness center at Alabama A&M

A Huntsville planning subcommittee Wednesday morning reviewed design plans that call for a 68,000-square-foot building that will offer students a range of recreational and health facilities, including a pool, basketball courts and a bowling alley.

The Planning Commission will consider the project at 5 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 3:42 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Some Zoning changes coming up for the Harris Hill development.
I would expect construction to start soon(summer) on the first phase of this large project.

HARRIS HILLS REZONING (0811)

Located: South of U.S. Highway 72 East and west of Shields Road.
Rezoning Request: From Neighborhood Business C-1 District, Residence
1-A District and Residence 2-A District to Residence 2-B District
(83.00 acres), Highway Business C-4 District (166.00 acres) and
Neighborhood Business C-1 District (1.3 acres) (250.30 acres).

http://www.wakefieldbeasley.com/port...11&project=129

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast