HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
As an EV driver myself with the luxury of being able to charge at home, the time benefit is easily in favour of EVs if you have home charging, no question about it. I'm also able to charge at work too, which is a cherry on top.

For road trips, the biggest hangup has been waiting for a spot, not waiting for charging. If you're stopping on a long trip, people are usually out stretching their legs, getting snacks, or taking a washroom break anyway so 15 - 20 minutes to charge isn't noticeable.
I have an EV too.

Somebody put it like this: You save time for daily charging, and pay it back (maybe less) during road trips.

I don't even have a dedicated charger at home, but one that is shared in my condo.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I wouldn't say all EVs are crap. I think what we are seeing though is that a lot of the legacy automakers are struggling to put out good, reliable EVs. Especially when we have another automaker (Tesla) that has put out objectively better EVs at much higher volumes. I don't recall Tesla ever having to put out a warning to park vehicles outside and away from other cars.
Yep they put a lot of effort into their battery design, and built the car around an EV drivetrain. OEMs have a lot to learn, but many of them have been making lemons for decades, so I don't hold out much hope.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 10:32 PM
Great White Norf

Guys, we're in the infancy of EVs. In 8-10 years the vast majority of us will be driving one, if not a hybrid.

Work truck users will belittle the idea until it's proven EV trucks can tow heavy things.
Bring on the better, future EVs with 700-800km of range and towing capabilities.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Guys, we're in the infancy of EVs. In 8-10 years the vast majority of us will be driving one, if not a hybrid.

Work truck users will belittle the idea until it's proven EV trucks can tow heavy things.
Bring on the better, future EVs with 700-800km of range and towing capabilities.
My rough and tough, manly, Saturdays-are-for-the-boys cousin recently traded in his lifted, chipped, body kit modded Toyota Tacoma for an F-150 Lightning. I don't think EVs have the perception of being gutless Prius's for metrosexuals in the city anymore. It's getting real hard to argue with 1,000 Nm of torque.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Last time I checked, the batteries are the primary differentiator between an EV and an ICE car. If the fuel systems on ICE cars were malfunctioning and leading to fires while parked, I'd say it's pretty fair to call them junk too.
So, our conclusion is that all vehicles are junk. Fair enough.

Okay, that was easy. Next!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 5:44 PM

My only concern re: EV fires is one thing: thermal runaway. Fix that and I'm all in. FWIW, a number of pages back I posted about a local company that has recently patented some technology to reduce the chances of thermal runaway. I'm completely confident that we won't even be talking about it in 10 years time.

As for all of the other stuff, like charging times, range, etc.... (A) We will adapt, while (B) technology will improve to the point that those are no longer talking points either. In 20 years, EVs will be the norm and everybody but the automotive historians will have forgotten about ICE cars/trucks. Hopefully motorcycles, lawn tools, etc will have also followed that path by then.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
....In 20 years, EVs will be the norm and everybody but the automotive historians will have forgotten about ICE cars/trucks....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjjNvjURS-s

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 8:27 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Top Electric Car OEMs By Sales In Q1 2023: Tesla Ahead Of BYD, But Where Is VW?
The Volkswagen Group is now far behind the two top OEMs.

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:23am ET
By: Mark Kane

During the first quarter of 2023, Tesla strengthened as the world's largest player in the battery electric vehicle (BEV) segment.

In this post, we will take a look at the global sales results of the all-electric cars by the three largest manufacturers (OEMs) - Tesla (without trucks), BYD (without commercial vehicles and other brands) and Volkswagen Group (including Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Skoda and Seat/Cupra and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brands, but without trucks/buses).

According to the available data, all three OEMs improved their results year-over-year. However, only Tesla set a new quarterly record (422,875), while BYD (264,647) and Volkswagen Group (140,852) noted a result lower than in Q4 2022 (VW Group is actually slightly behind Q3 2022).

BYD improved its sales by 85 percent, which is significantly more than Tesla (36 percent), although it remains around 160,000 units behind Tesla, just like a year ago. The key is that the difference is now relatively smaller than in Q1 2022. If Tesla wants to remain the top player in the long term, it must grow faster.

BEV sales results in Q1 2023:
- Tesla: 422,875 (up 36% year-over-year)
- BYD (cars): 264,647 (up 85% year-over-year) or 63% of Tesla's result
Difference to Tesla: 158,228 (down 5% year-over-year)
- Volkswagen Group: 140,852 (up 43% year-over-year) or 33% of Tesla's result
Difference to Tesla: 282,023 (up 33% year-over-year)

It seems that the Volkswagen Group has considerably weakened from a strong second place and is now third, with a noticeable and expanding gap to the Chinese manufacturer.
https://insideevs.com/news/664488/to...-sales-2023q1/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 2:27 AM

2023 Q1 Best Selling EVs in USA:

#1= Tesla Y (99.7K sales)
#2= Tesla 3 (52K sales)
#3= Chevy Bolt (19.7K sales)
#4= Volkswagen ID 4 (9.7K sales)
#5=Rivian R1T/R1S/EDV 700 (8k sales)
#6= Hyundai Ioniq 5 (5.7K sales)
#7=Ford Mustang Mach E (5.4K sales)
#8= Tesla X (5K sales)
#9= Mercedes EQS (4.5k sales)
#10= Ford F150 Lightning (4.3k sales)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 3:01 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
#3= Chevy Bolt (19.7K sales)
The Chevy Bolt is being discontinued, it's too small for Americans, and rather uninspiring to look at.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 4:14 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Too small? Isn't it the same size as the model 3? And wasn't its styling just redesigned? Seems odd GM would approve a design that wasn't focus group approved.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 4:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Too small? Isn't it the same size as the model 3? And wasn't its styling just redesigned? Seems odd GM would approve a design that wasn't focus group approved.

I guess you haven't seen one, it's more like a sub compact, and not very fast. Comparing the two is like chalk and cheese.

Quote:
Compared to the Bolt, the Tesla Model 3 is nearly two feet longer, three inches wider, and a half-foot shorter.

The Chevy EV’s top speed, though, is governed to just 91 miles per hour.
https://www.myev.com/research/compar...el3-chevy-bolt

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 4:33 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I've seen plenty of them and they look just as big but just a different (hatchback) shape. Not surprisingly, they weigh almost exactly the same with the 3 being 1,611 kg and the Bolt being 1,616 kg.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 4:37 AM

The bolt is a subcompact, Model 3 is a compact. There's a 20" difference in length.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 4:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I also forgot there is also the Bolt EUV (I haven't seen one, they must be rare), it is about 6 inches longer, but it's also being discontinued. I knew people with Bolts, have seen them up close, and they came off as small visually. Perhaps the real reason for cancellation is that the batteries tend to catch fire.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 4:50 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
The bolt is a subcompact, Model 3 is a compact. There's a 20" difference in length.
Sedans tend to have more overhangs making them longer. But I always assume when people talk about wanting a larger vehicle that they mean either cabin interior space for the sake of comfort, cargo space for utility, or seating position for a better view. Having more length due to longer overhangs wouldn't seem to achieve any of those things but who knows.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 5:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Sedans tend to have more overhangs making them longer. But I always assume when people talk about wanting a larger vehicle that they mean either cabin interior space for the sake of comfort, cargo space for utility, or seating position for a better view. Having more length due to longer overhangs wouldn't seem to achieve any of those things but who knows.
IMO, sedans look so much better to most people who actually like driving.

Just my opinion, but there is a big difference in the two.

This is an old photo, but it is apparent here. One is a streamlined classic, the other looks like a dud designed by a committee.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 5:01 AM

Quote:
True, but I'm not digging around for cabin dimensions.
The wheelbase of the Model 3 is longer at 113", that's 1" more than a current 3 Series.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 7:53 PM

I'd mentioned it was surprising how little discussion of the Mercedes electric models there was and somebody suggested price was a reason. Maybe that's why there has been little mention of the BMW i7 despite the facts almost every reviewer has loved it (despite the hideous front end).

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 8:17 PM

I saw one of these the other day, first sighting

electrive.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada