HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:10 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds, at the very least the safety report will be made public, and hopefully the outcome leads to closure on the matter.
Why would it? The issue has never been about safety. The issue of safety was a smoke screen invented by Harbour Air to provide cover for its refusal to move to the new flight centre where it would have to pay higher fees.

As long as Harbour Air is permitted to stay at the temporary terminal, it will, even if the report concludes the new flight centre is safe. Thus, a resolution will require more than a safety report alone.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:46 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

If the report gets released in court and shows that the new terminal is in fact safe then it eliminates the only valid reason for the city to keep the old terminal open. The city currently isn't feeling any pressure due to the safety issue being still out there. I agree the safety is a smoke screen from Harbour Air, and if it gets removed then they will try to come up with something else, but it probably won't be enough to convince the city to keep the old one open.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:16 AM
Dig-it

It's been a year since the City was going to shut down the trailer park and make HA relocate.
So now it's also in the City's best interest to find fault with something as well and defer the $3 million (and counting) law suit somehow.

Either way the City or us are the losers in this one, since the new terminal contract was based on HA moving or so we are told.
The Lawyers will have lots of drawn out fun with this one.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 7:05 PM

Quote:
A new float-plane terminal in Vancouver’s downtown harbour “has never been safe or functional for float-plane operations,” B.C. Pavilion Corp. alleges in court documents filed as part of a lawsuit relating to the facility.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2410480/

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 7:19 AM

two more spaces leased out... pics by me

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 2:19 PM
Dig-it

Pancake lovers rejoice
Also, not much going on in the Terminal fiasco

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:00 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

In another shocking surprise Harbour Air is applying to extend it's stay yet again.

Notification Letter
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/develop...nt/notiltr.pdf

Current Configuration
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/develop...front/app1.pdf

Proposed Configuration
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/develop...front/app2.pdf

Harbour Air Rationale
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/develop...front/app3.pdf

Great read on their reasons.

Let's see what Council does this time around.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:13 PM
testify

you have to give them credit - every day that they don't move out of there is more money in the pocket, they've very good at working the system.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:46 PM

Harbour air is realy starting to piss me off now. Tofino air and seair have been operating out of VHFC since 2010/2011 now with nary a sunken plane.

Is Harbour air paying anything to the city? the seawall has been blocked off since the construction of the convention centre. (? 2005) They had my benefit of the doubt when the centre first opened but now they look like they are aiming for a free ride.

If council doesn't stand up to this, then this would make me angry...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 3:25 AM

I'm trying to think of a possible reason why the City of Vancouver would possibly let this drag on through another extension - and can't think of one.

A frustrating example of a business (can we call HA a semi-monopoly??) trying to milk the city.

Time to start buying shares in Helijet.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:06 AM

If you dislike the sheer douchbaggery that HarbourAir is trying to foist on us, I would recommend that you fire a quick email to council.

mayorandcouncil@vancouver.ca

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
I'm trying to think of a possible reason why the City of Vancouver would possibly let this drag on through another extension - and can't think of one.
Because the City doesn't like the Province?
Think BC Place - then think Convention Centre...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:49 PM

Harbour air could move its operation to Richmond wher its main operations are, Vancouver doesn't want to lose out to Richmond mos likely

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 10:00 PM

I doubt HA would up and leave Coal Harbour. The business is just too good there. People won't travel from DT out to Richmond, they will simply switch to Helijet, moreso in the case of business travel.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
I doubt HA would up and leave Coal Harbour. The business is just too good there. People won't travel from DT out to Richmond, they will simply switch to Helijet, moreso in the case of business travel.
True dat... I fly HA about once a month over to Victoria/Nanaimo for business. No way I'd travel all the way out to Richmond to take the same flight. I'd rather fly Air Canada and collect aeroplan points.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:14 AM

I am curious what is the problem people are having with those few float planes operating from Coal Harbour? I haven't found them annoying or disturbing and the tourists seem to love taking photos of them. I would actually love to fly with them once, but flights are surprisingly expensive.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:06 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am curious what is the problem people are having with those few float planes operating from Coal Harbour? I haven't found them annoying or disturbing and the tourists seem to love taking photos of them. I would actually love to fly with them once, but flights are surprisingly expensive.
Same. I've lived in Coal Harbour for about two years and I think they're terrific. Mind you, I don't live right on the water of course and maybe then it's a bitch, I don't know.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:24 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am curious what is the problem people are having with those few float planes operating from Coal Harbour?
It's not about the float planes, it's about the mess, aka, trailer park of acme modular homes and them blocking the seawall access.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:29 AM
Bridge Walker!

^
That is true. It would be nice to have that last stretch of the Seawalk accessible and it really is overdue. In two months Convention Centre West will be three years old.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
It's not about the float planes, it's about the mess, aka, trailer park of acme modular homes and them blocking the seawall access.
Ah, now I understand. I have only been in Vancouver since January, so I have always taken those as something temporary. Have they been there for long?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver