HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:05 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Thanks for the link.

But this:

“The minute you open up to Bombardier jets, you open them up to every jet. That means small corporate jets which are twice as loud and twice as dirty.”

“U.S. air carriers that fly small jets have under the open skies policy exactly the same access. And that means it’s not just quiet jets coming, it’s every jet that’s coming, and that has a huge impact on anyone who lives anywhere near the water, from Scarborough to Etobicoke.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:07 PM

Except since the airport is slot limited by noise exposure, a louder jet means you need to have two slots (or more) worth of noise to land one jet.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:22 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Except since the airport is slot limited by noise exposure, a louder jet means you need to have two slots (or more) worth of noise to land one jet.
But Bombardier is claiming the C-100 will have the same noise footprint as the Q400.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:33 PM

^ That was in counter to what Adam Vaughan said, not the CS100.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:50 PM

With Porter signing the conditional purchase deal with Bombardier, a Canadian company, they have really tossed out a politically hot poatoe. From my perspective it would seem the play is more likely an angle to secure some prime slots at Pearsons in place of landing jets at Billy Bishop and the runway extension that would require.

Having a third national air carrier, and the only one exclusively using Canadian built planes, is something the federal government will not back away from, this seems like something they will want to keep alive.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 7:11 PM

Its a smart business move indeed

and customers will only benefit from additional competition

speaking of which, has anyone flown with Porter before? What are they like?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 7:41 PM

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:03 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
speaking of which, has anyone flown with Porter before? What are they like?
Several friends have flown to NYC using Porter. I don't think there are a lot of frills but flying out TIA it is easy for them to have good on-time performance.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:10 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Another perspective.

http://torontoist.com/2013/04/porter...sion-proposal/

HUGE money is being spent on a connection tunnel to the island.

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/news/2013...ay-completion/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I doubt this will change. Population density is increasing like mad along the waterfront.

But if it did happen - that would be some serious competition for WJ and AC. And no more lugging suitcases onto the 192.
Hehe, the good old Airport Rocket. I've had my share of rides from Kipling Station as well...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Hehe, the good old Airport Rocket. I've had my share of rides from Kipling Station as well...
My last flight out to TO included a one hour late AC flight, them running out of (purchasable) meals before they got to my row, and then having a guy get on one station after Kipling, plunk down tight beside me blocking me in (despite my having multiple luggage pieces), then throw up into a plastic bag nonstop for three stops before getting off again.

One of my more memorable YYZ -> Airport Rocket -> Subway -> Downtown trips.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Several friends have flown to NYC using Porter. I don't think there are a lot of frills but flying out TIA it is easy for them to have good on-time performance.
It's the opposite of no-frills. Leather seats and wine. That's what people love about Porter. It's sort of like Wardair used to be.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 1:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It's the opposite of no-frills. Leather seats and wine. That's what people love about Porter. It's sort of like Wardair used to be.
Thanks for correcting me. Wine eh? Better not tell my wife.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 7:30 PM

Porter - YWG

Enjoyed my experience:
Another option for YWG can't hurt.

In-Flight Service

At Porter, we believe that even short-haul passengers deserve a refined in-flight experience. Our attentive crew is pleased to offer snack and beverage service on all flights, including complimentary soft drinks, wine and beer.

Passengers will appreciate the comfortable 2-by-2 layout (no middle seats!), the custom leather upholstery and headrest covers, and more legroom than any cabin in its class. The aircraft also features a noise and vibration suppression system to reduce ambient noise levels, making the flight even more relaxing.

LINK:
https://www.flyporter.com/Best-Airli...?culture=en-CA

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 11:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
The aircraft also features a noise and vibration suppression system to reduce ambient noise levels, making the flight even more relaxing.
The Q400 has an active noise cancelling system - like those fancy Bose headphones except broadcast through the aircraft's PA system. I've never cared for the Dash 8 line but I'd like to see how that system works.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:26 AM

so I have heard of two rumours...
American Eagle is thinking of doing a Chicago run to go against United...
and WestJet Encore to go to Minneapolis to go with the Delta-WestJet agreements
this was just word of mouth from a US Airways Flight Attendant and a WestJetter I was told so exciting rumours I think!!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
this was just word of mouth from a US Airways Flight Attendant and a WestJetter I was told so exciting rumours I think!!!
Having American Eagle here would be a pretty big deal given that Oneworld doesn't have a presence in Winnipeg at all right now. It would be nice to have another option for international travel through American's Chicago hub.

As for the other possibility, I'm assuming it's going to be either/or - either there will be continued Delta flights with WestJet codeshares or it will be WestJet Encore flights with Delta codeshares. I think for most travellers the current arrangement makes more sense, i.e. having Delta flights to Minneapolis. I would imagine that very few people on Winnipeg-Minneapolis flights are just travelling between those two points... most people would carry on to points beyond in the US or overseas. Having a Skyteam airline (Delta) provide the service would be more convenient in that regard.

(Incidentally, Delta's Winnipeg-Minneapolis route has been continuously operated for 85 years which is a pretty amazing run! Service started in 1928 under Northwest, which merged with Delta a few years ago.)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As for the other possibility, I'm assuming it's going to be either/or - either there will be continued Delta flights with WestJet codeshares or it will be WestJet Encore flights with Delta codeshares.
I heard that Delta is limited by the agreement with their pilots on how many smaller planes, like the ones used between Winnipeg and Minneapolis, they can fly. Once Westjet Encore is fully up to speed in terms of planes it would make sense for WestJet Encore to take over the operation side of that run with Delta codeshares.

One of the potentinally more interesting opportunies expanded Q400 service out of YWG presents is that the DFW hub is within the range of a Q400 flight from here. Americian Airlines, a current WestJet partner, hubs out of DFW. This would greatly expand opportunies for connections from YWG to the southern US. Along those same lines, there is speculation that Porter may join the Oneworld alliance.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 11:48 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
As in, the clothing store? Good way to diversify hahaha

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:04 AM

nothing new here really, just an updated from WAA

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...204436591.html

construction of two new hotels -- an 80-room Grand Hotel that will be opening this year and a 120-room Courtyard by Marriott that will open in 2014.

The WAA is pursuing opportunities for increasing cargo shipments to Northern Canada, she said, adding the WAA's first-quarter cargo shipment numbers won't be available for another month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan