HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:50 PM

The NEMA comparison shows the nutttiness of opinions here. NEMA literally has exposed concrete floorplates and structural columns as the facade. You can't get cheaper than that. It's also an all-rental building. You're guaranteed cheapness.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
The NEMA comparison shows the nutttiness of opinions here. NEMA literally has exposed concrete floorplates and structural columns as the facade. You can't get cheaper than that. It's also an all-rental building. You're guaranteed cheapness.
Wait are you talking about NEMA being cheap after OBP was VEd to death?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:13 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
For what it's worth, I take location and views into consideration far more than interiors. I'm also pretty minimalist when it comes to interior design, so I could hardly give a flying turd about the vaulted ceilings and fancy design in OBP. Just my personal opinion.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
For what it's worth, I take location and views into consideration far more than interiors. I'm also pretty minimalist when it comes to interior design, so I could hardly give a flying turd about the vaulted ceilings and fancy design in OBP. Just my personal opinion.
Ceiling heights are extremely important though. They will be very high in OBP given its market, but I’m not sure about NEMA. I wouldn’t want anything below 10’.

And while neither neighborhood is that great (a sacrifice that generally needs to be made for views), OBP is in a more central and desirable location.

It is really no contest, but for most people who could afford to buy in either building (ignoring for a moment that NEMA is actually a rental building), it would be in favor of OBP.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:16 PM
BANNED

You all are forgetting that some people are just plain revolted by faux classical buildings, especially when they're done on the cheap (yellow precast) and without any of the real detail that makes classical buildings good. That wrap around trellis-y thing at the base is the perfect 'fancy' mirage for a 65-year-old golfer from Naperville and more than enough to make run straight south to NEMA. I'd rather live in South Loop, too, bc it actually intersects with non-skyscraper neighborhoods on south side, and is easier/safer to bike to the lakefront path from. Streeterville is the land of isolated fishbowls.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:11 PM

Again, this opinion shows the inconsistency of some opinions here:

NEMA's exposed structural concrete: good, shows quality.
OBP's decorative concrete: bad, cheap.

You can't VE something that can't be cheapened any further, you're down to structural concrete with NEMA. There's obviously a spectrum of concrete quality, but OBP's decorative concrete is clearly higher quality.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:14 PM
Development Shill

^ Your last couple sentences kind of hit the nail on the head for me(Edit for clarity: referring to Notyrview). I do think Streeterville has somewhat of an overstated bad rep that it shouldn't have since it is improving every year in terms of street living, buuuuuuut, the South Loop is getting so much better at a much faster rate and has way more room to improve and is accessible to more interesting things IMO (Museums, Grant Park, Sox/Bears games, Pilsen, Chinatown, McCormick Center, etc.). /endrant

Oh yeah and less Navy Pier people

Last edited by Kumdogmillionaire; Jul 12, 2018 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:25 PM

[QUOTE=Kumdogmillionaire;8248997]^ Your last couple sentences kind of hit the nail on the head for me. I do think Streeterville has somewhat of an overstated bad rep that it shouldn't have since it is improving every year in terms of street living, buuuuuuut, the South Loop is getting so much better at a much faster rate and has way more room to improve and is accessible to more interesting things IMO (Museums, Grant Park, Sox/Bears games, Pilsen, Chinatown, McCormick Center, etc.). /endrant

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:38 PM

The poured in place concrete is essentially hand built though and despite all the modularization of construction it still shows character and takes a good degree of skill. Working with metals and concrete are the skilled tradesmen of our day. You can very much see the difference between concrete poured with care and that just poured for structure. In the case of OGP the concrete is very well done. But the real kicker in buildings like this is the window wall and trim detailing. Most of the facade of this building is glass, the concrete is no more prominent than it needs to carry the structure. The point of buildings in this style is to show off modern construction and take engineering to the logical extremes. If we are prioritizing glass than make a concrete frame and fill it with glass. Why do anything else? Why make the product for expensive just for "decoration" the glass itself on this building is great, the detailing of the doors and way the windows open. That's the detailing here.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
^ Your last couple sentences kind of hit the nail on the head for me(Edit for clarity: referring to Notyrview). I do think Streeterville has somewhat of an overstated bad rep that it shouldn't have since it is improving every year in terms of street living, buuuuuuut, the South Loop is getting so much better at a much faster rate and has way more room to improve and is accessible to more interesting things IMO (Museums, Grant Park, Sox/Bears games, Pilsen, Chinatown, McCormick Center, etc.). /endrant

Oh yeah and less Navy Pier people
Yeah i def think South Loop has the best access. I don't dislike Streeterville, and it's nice to look at from the bike path, i just could never live there.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:38 AM

June 29

July 6

Mechanical Screen

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:25 AM

Thanks harry. Whats going on the topfloor? Restaurantt/Lounge or mechanical?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Thanks harry. Whats going on the topfloor? Restaurantt/Lounge or mechanical?
Mechanical/Dampner

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:10 AM
Chicago

July 12, 2018

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:27 PM

I know this tower can be a bit polarizing on here but I think it looks pretty damn good. I wish they would have made more of an effort to match the color of the podium stone to the rest of the precast panels but the reality is 99% of people walking by won't notice. Overall nice addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:48 AM

Game changer for Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Yeah, real beige

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:58 AM

Lagrange had that covered. This is a new level of quality.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:02 AM
1st Ward

Its a step up from the River North barf towers from the last boom cycle, and definitely superior to Lagrange's garbage faux deco towers, but 'game changer' might be too strong a compliment.

Its a decent looking building. But it won't be winning any beauty pageants.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:40 AM

it's bad, real bad

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive