HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 10:42 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:14 AM. Reason: account deleted

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 10:42 PM

Keep in mind guys, the regional transit plan (or whatever it's called) is calling for a major transit terminal to be built in Burnside at the Wright Ave / John Savage Drive intersection. That's a stones throw away from the existing football and soccer fields, and if the stadium was built along John Savage then it would be even closer to the terminal. I think you'll find transit in that whole area will improve over the next few years.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 10:47 PM

ill post this here as well

kelly was on CTV, some notes:

not locked in as 10000 or 25000 seats
not a temporary complex he says it must be permanent
will be bigger then moncton
shannon park still possible as is DC, still open to other possible locations.

on the oval:

he says decision is taking to long
he wants to keep it

moncton concerts:

whats good for moncton is good for atlantic canada

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 11:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
As long as they add a connector road to Regency Park Drive/Main Avenue and widen it to a proper 4-lane, I think it would be a great location. It would be great to have two different main entrance/exit routes instead of everyone dumping out onto Lacewood after a game.
This connector road is currently under-construction and should be complete within the next few months (Washmill Lake Underpass) - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=174823&page=2 . The underpass is already under the 102 highway. Although the underpass has gone over-budget, HRM council recently voted in favour of proceeding with construction. (It was meant to be complete for the Winter Games but there were delays which included the HRM budget tightening).

I wouldn't be disappointed with the John Savage/Commodore Drive location next to Dartmouth Crossings. But if there are to be private investors then they will have some say in the site selection (I assume). If collaboration with the universities is being contemplated (as mentioned recently in the Chronicle Herald - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1226158.html ) then I think that will have a big influence on the selected site. The future growth pattern of the HRM should also be taken into account - where will most of the population growth occur in the next 10 - 20 years?

(source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1226158.html )
Quote:
Should a stadium project ever get the go-ahead, Outhit said, it "should be a collaboration of all three levels of government, the private sector, and both Saint Mary’s University and Dalhousie University."

The mayor agreed.
In my opinion if construction on a stadium starts within a year then that will be a fast-tracked approach (which would be fine with me). Usually stadiums don't get planned and started in such a short time period. Hopefully it will be possible.

Last edited by fenwick16; Feb 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This connector road is currently under-construction and should be complete within the next few months (Washmill Lake Underpass) - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=174823&page=2 . The underpass is already under the 102 highway. Although the underpass has gone over-budget, HRM council recently voted in favour of proceeding with construction. (It was meant to be complete for the Winter Games but there were delays which included the HRM budget tightening).
Fenwick- Thanks for the update on the underpass from Washmill Lake under the Bi-Hi. I was not aware that the city was already working on finishing it from Regency Park Drive to Main Avenue. I figured that with the cost overruns on the underpass, the extension was on hold for the time being. Regardless, it is good to see the city making an infrastructure investment in this area.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:01 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
Fenwick- Thanks for the update on the underpass from Washmill Lake under the Bi-Hi. I was not aware that the city was already working on finishing it from Regency Park Drive to Main Avenue. I figured that with the cost overruns on the underpass, the extension was on hold for the time being. Regardless, it is good to see the city making an infrastructure investment in this area.
Based on this report ( http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0810ca1115.pdf ) it appears as though they will extend it to the North West Arm Drive (as quoted below). This report was from August 2010. An early report indicated that the Regency Park Drive would be completed by other parties. So I assume that they are going ahead with the connection to Regency Park Drive and thus Main Street (here is a Google map link - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...33023&t=h&z=16 ). I could be wrong (Dmajackson could correct me if I am). There was a debate on this underpass within the last 2 weeks and it was decided to proceed.

Quote:
BACKGROUND
Washmill Lake Court (which was renamed Washmill Lake Drive on July 19, 2010) is being extended under Highway 102 to connect between Chain Lake Drive in Bayers Lake Business Park and Northwest Arm Drive not far from the Northwest Arm Drive - Highway 102 Interchange.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:03 AM
BANNED

Halifax stadium location and Touch Down II Atlantic approved

Touchdown Atlantic II APPROVED! By Moncton city council tonite!

Tickest go on sale in two weeks and the official announcement in days! A done deal, Sept. 25/2011, Stamps and Tiger Cats!

Two things on the stadium, one location! Cogswell site is back on. I think Halifax wants to build it downtown on the Halifax site because of the close access for the universities and to the downtown business core and as well the Metro Centre and new World Convention Centre will be all there in the same location!

Also Mayor Kelly said that even if they don`t win as a host city, if Canada gets the FIFA Women`s World Cup they will still build a stadium by 2014.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:15 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
Touchdown Atlantic II APPROVED! By Moncton city council tonite!

Tickest go on sale in two weeks and the official announcement in days! A done deal, Sept. 25/2011, Stamps and Tiger Cats!

Two things on the stadium, one location! Cogswell site is back on. I think Halifax wants to build it downtown on the Halifax site because of the close access for the universities and to the downtown business core and as well the Metro Centre and new World Convention Centre will be all there in the same location!

Also Mayor Kelly said that even if they don`t win as a host city, if Canada gets the FIFA Women`s World Cup they will still build a stadium by 2014.
I would certainly like a downtown site. But would they have to tear down the Cogswell to build it there? If so, how long would that take?

If you your prediction of the Stamps and Tiger-Cats comes true then we will have to start wondering where you are getting your information from (no offense, just curious).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A stadium probably wouldn't fit on Cogswell and there's no way it would be done in time.

Gorsebrook is one good option. I don't think nimbys are a valid excuse for failing to even consider a site right in between the two universities.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 5:21 AM

Well I'd like to pose a suggestion and see what people think on this. Since they are soliciting feedback and we've expressed a desire to contribute as a group - may I suggest that we pick a site each and do up a pro and con for that site for a stadium. This way we can submit it to the city to give them some ideas?

What do others think about submitting something as a group to the city when the time is right?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:25 PM
BANNED

Fenwick, Pesident of Hamilton Tiger cats let it out of the bag, trust me it`s the Cats and Stamps, you will see I`m right very soon!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:26 PM
BANNED

Sorry

President of Cats Scot Mitchell

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:51 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
President of Cats Scot Mitchell
I just remembered that he said something regarding playing in Moncton about a week or two ago when asked where the Tiger-Cats would play (I follow the Hamilton Pan-Am Stadium discussion).

Hopefully, Halifax will soon have its own CFL team to cheer for. (maybe a professional soccer team also)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I just remembered that he said something regarding playing in Moncton about a week or two ago when asked where the Tiger-Cats would play (I follow the Hamilton Pan-Am Stadium discussion).

Hopefully, Halifax will soon have its own CFL team to cheer for. (maybe a professional soccer team also)
I agree and posted this in the CFL maritimes thread:

Quote:
Halifax sends strong message to CFL

Stadium to go ahead with or without World Cup: report

News 95.7
Doug Reynolds Feb 07, 2011 05:23:21 AM

Mayor Peter Kelly says Halifax getting a stadium isn't a question of "if," but "when."

HRM staff will be presenting a report to council tomorrow asking for $100,000 to begin phase one of the stadium project.

The preliminary phase includes a business plan and consultation with citizens and sporting groups.

Halifax is looking to be part of the FIFA 2015 Women's World Cup, if Canada wins its bid - but the council report states the stadium project will continue whatever the decision.

The mayor tells Metro Halifax we have to move the HRM forward to avail ourselves of greater opportunities down the road.

This is great news. This is what the CFL was waiting for: Halifax to commit to a stadium that will likey hold 25,000 permanent seats.
Essentially work can begin now in Halifax on acquiring a franchise which could be in place not long after Ottawa rejoins.

Moncton should be applauded for possibly waking up Halifax out of a coma.
Halifax wants the Uteck Bowl back and its going to get it.
At least Moncton can look forward to some more regular season games in the near future and possibly some Halifax games.

And Now the question again what to name this new Halifax based team?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 2:25 PM
Honored Member

JUST A REMINDER. The stadium will be discussed this afternoon at city hall (sometime after 1:00 PM Atlantic time - there will be a non-televised discussion of the budget first). I hope to watch the stadium discussion on haligonia.ca. However, if I can't then hopefully others will have time to watch it and report on it afterward. Also, if any interesting images are presented I hope that somebody will do a screen capture (I will do it, if I am free to watch the proceedings).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 9:09 PM

I watched the discussion and was surprised to hear the efforts of this site and fenwick16 mentioned by one councilor.
overall it seemed quite positive with some expressing concerns of partners and a business case
one thing mentioned was that this must go forward and that we may have an upper hand because FIFA wants to leave a legacy
this will go through three phases all of which need to be approved, with the third being construction and everything else in between
this seems like its gaining good momentum

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 9:14 PM
BANNED

Cfl Commissioner On 95.7

Mark Cohon will be on 95.7 fm radio and on the net, talking about TouchDown Atlantic II and HFX. city council approved phase one of a 100,000 dollar study on different stadium design concepts and size along with sites and there will be a public meeting as well on the first phase.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 9:16 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 9:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A "business case" only makes sense for something like this if you can quantify the benefit to the public. The overall benefit, not monetary profit, is why the HRM is looking at building a stadium.

Good to hear that they've commissioned a study that will put a variety of options on the table. It's usually a disaster when councillors speculate.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 9:39 PM
Closed account

account deleted

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment