HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:12 PM

They're staying open while pile driving?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Cabrini Green redevelopment first plans unveiled:

http://www.thecha.org/filebin/CG_Dra...an_Booklet.pdf

They need more high density stuff IMO. Actually, I see none on there. It's all mid and low rises, which is not terrible, but being in/around downtown I think it needs to be denser.
Quoting because it's going to get buried. Very interesting..

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:28 PM
The City

^ Mario is back for more celebrating, as a judge just tossed the NIMBY lawsuit against the Vue53 project into the junkheap where it belongs!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:29 PM

^ Awesome news for Hyde Park

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:39 PM

Good news all around today. Good to see that they are planning on restoring the street grid at Cabrini. Good to see drill rig on site at Clark and Belmont. Good to see that lawsuit get tossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
That's not a pile driver, that's a test rig testing the soil conditions.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Soil testing, it looked like.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:41 PM

Brininstool and Lynch Kicks Ass

Major droolage today over at Curbed:

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...completion.php

I am seriously salivating over the impending start of the 12 floor high school side of this building. Should become a feature of the Riverboat tours. I think these buildings are turning out to be GEMS in more ways than one!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:27 PM

Yeah, it's a shame the phase 1 building probably won't be seen by many due to the isolated nature of LSE. Phase 2 should get a lot more attention being right on the river. I'm interested to see how the skybridge will connect the two.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:46 AM

Question: In what circumstances are deconversions of units in a building a good thing? For example, I know it lessens the density, but it also means that people are making more money. I noticed today there is a permit for a nice old building near Van Buren and California (2721 W Gladys) to go from 2 units to a SFH. It looks boarded up on Google Street View but it's a real nice building that kind of has the style of an old row home, but the space between it and the next building is like 2 feet.

I guess my question is - in not so great areas like this, are you guys OK with this type of unit deconversion personally?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Cabrini Green redevelopment first plans unveiled:

http://www.thecha.org/filebin/CG_Dra...an_Booklet.pdf

They need more high density stuff IMO. Actually, I see none on there. It's all mid and low rises, which is not terrible, but being in/around downtown I think it needs to be denser.
I am disappointed by this. High rises in that area (20+ floors) would offer amazing views of downtown.

Last edited by Justin_Chicago; Feb 6, 2014 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's a shame the phase 1 building probably won't be seen by many due to the isolated nature of LSE. Phase 2 should get a lot more attention being right on the river. I'm interested to see how the skybridge will connect the two.
IIRC the connection is underground, not a skybridge

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 1:47 AM
The City

Quote:
Question: In what circumstances are deconversions of units in a building a good thing? For example, I know it lessens the density, but it also means that people are making more money. I noticed today there is a permit for a nice old building near Van Buren and California (2721 W Gladys) to go from 2 units to a SFH. It looks boarded up on Google Street View but it's a real nice building that kind of has the style of an old row home, but the space between it and the next building is like 2 feet.

I guess my question is - in not so great areas like this, are you guys OK with this type of unit deconversion personally?
^ When it's a boarded up or empty building, I'm totally okay with it. Anything to bring older housing stock back to life is fine by me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Major droolage today over at Curbed:

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...completion.php

I am seriously salivating over the impending start of the 12 floor high school side of this building. Should become a feature of the Riverboat tours. I think these buildings are turning out to be GEMS in more ways than one!
It's not Brininstool and Lynch, it's bKL Architecture.

2 separate firms.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 2:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
It's not Brininstool and Lynch, it's bKL Architecture.

2 separate firms.
Not really, bKl is just BL plus a third partner. They only had a two year partnership agreement and decided Kerwin was a doofus asshole (my words not theirs) so they "kicked him out" which technically meant forming an entirely new entity, but all the brains and employees were more or less unchanged. Brininstool is a real nice guy and an awesome architect. Him and Lynch were the only real brains behind bKL anyhow.

As a reminder this is what we have to look forward to on the Wacker side of this project:

chicago.curbed.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:36 PM

2 new random infill things. Not really big news or anything but I like it. 10 unit building + ground floor commercial issued a permit at 918 S Western in Tri Taylor (Western & Taylor). Currently a vacant lot. Architect is Vari.

Another 6 unit + ground floor commercial retail issued a permit at 816 N Marshfield + ground floor retail. That's just north of Chicago Ave and just west of Ashland. Another vacant lot. Architect is Hanna

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:58 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Not really, bKl is just BL plus a third partner. They only had a two year partnership agreement and decided Kerwin was a doofus asshole (my words not theirs) so they "kicked him out" which technically meant forming an entirely new entity, but all the brains and employees were more or less unchanged. Brininstool is a real nice guy and an awesome architect. Him and Lynch were the only real brains behind bKL anyhow.
bKL Architecture = Thomas Kerwin and Jim Loewenberg
Brininstool & Lynch = David Brininstool and Brad Lynch

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
bKL Architecture = Thomas Kerwin and Jim Loewenberg
Brininstool & Lynch = David Brininstool and Brad Lynch
Ugh, so confusing. I wish the architects would just pick better names than mashing their initials together. I thought Brininstool was involved in this one?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:49 PM

Looks like another parking lot in River North will be biting the dust. This time the parking lot next to El Hefe on Hubbard, 17 W Hubbard, has been bought by El Hefe's parent company to build a building there which will be something called Whiskey Row (or, Dierks Bentley's Whiskey Row - gross). There is one in Scottsdale. Not to happy about what business is going in there, but at least if it doesn't last, we can say another parking lot bit the dust. If they are smart, they'll build out for more space than just their restaurant/bar, but I doubt that will happen. It will just be another repeat of American Junkie where they are the only people in the building.

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:44 PM
BANNED

^ Dierks is the man! I don't see a problem with the place.

http://dierkswhiskeyrow.com/photos/#prettyPhoto[pp_52f3e458c6bb0]/58/[/URL]
http://dierkswhiskeyrow.com/photos/#prettyPhoto[pp_52f3e558017c2]/6/[/URL]

Plus, Bub City, downtown's only other country bar, could use some healthy competition. It's always elbow-to-elbow in there.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:48 PM

I'll admit, the place doesn't look that bad and I even see a charcuterie plate. I guess I'd like to see more nice non southern place as there's still too many "loud" places in that area, but whatever. For the record, the place has 3/5 on Yelp, which means it'll get about a 1.5 in Chicago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development