HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjords View Post
THIS. So much this.

The city using the U of R as a crutch and saying that the south end doesn't need an aquatic facility is just mind boggling. It's time priority was put on distributing aquatic facilities across the city, and relieving the pressure on the others. We don't need a fancier downtown facility to host the Mayor's daughters swim meets. We need facilities that are available and accessible to the families of this city so that we can have better access to services and programs.
This mayor and most of council have no vision for the city. They don't care about 5 years, 10 years, 25 years down the road. All they care about is satisfying the immediate needs of themselves and their friends, while doing the bare minimum to remain elected by pretending to find efficiencies in city hall to "bring down the mill rate", and making our roads even wider.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
This mayor and most of council have no vision for the city. They don't care about 5 years, 10 years, 25 years down the road. All they care about is satisfying the immediate needs of themselves and their friends, while doing the bare minimum to remain elected by pretending to find efficiencies in city hall to "bring down the mill rate", and making our roads even wider.
Agreed. Their approach seems to be to create the appearance of a direction through major initiative proposals, yet the proposals seem to be nothing more than a misdirection so that people don't spend time looking at the lackluster strategic plan and their misalignment with it. Bravo council.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Is it any wonder the Regina threads have been mostly dead compared to our neighbour to the north? Tho, provincial politics has some to do with that as well.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:57 PM

Scarth Street pedestrian mall may soon allow vehicles

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/regina...01978.amp.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:02 PM

Insanity.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Scarth Street pedestrian mall may soon allow vehicles

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/regina...01978.amp.html
You beat me to it. This is how insane our current city council is.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:23 PM

Maybe we can compromise and have a 100m swimming lane on Scarth

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:45 PM

Seems like an odd time, but it appears work on the Pinkie Road bridge replacement has begun. This afternoon I saw a dam setup on the ice and a gas powered pump adding water on top of the ice. I've seen this done for several pedestrian bridge replacements where they build up the ice thickness so they can drive equipment on it.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 10:59 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 11:04 PM

As frequent user of FWH Mall, I think opening it to traffic evenings and weekends will breath life into the businesses. There is precedent for this in other cities.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 11:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
As frequent user of FWH Mall, I think opening it to traffic evenings and weekends will breath life into the businesses. There is precedent for this in other cities.
The city couldn't manage to keep the mall in good shape over the years and you think they'll be able to handle converting it daily without it being a shit show? Come on man. This is nothing but a bandaid to fix that awful mess that is Pat's Patio.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
As frequent user of FWH Mall, I think opening it to traffic evenings and weekends will breathe life into the businesses.
How?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 3:08 PM
arf

Quote:
The city couldn't manage to keep the mall in good shape over the years and you think they'll be able to handle converting it daily without it being a shit show? Come on man. This is nothing but a bandaid to fix that awful mess that is Pat's Patio.
It's been around way longer than Pat.

I'm not averse to opening it up.

Reopening isn't even a rocket science endeavor at this point. Deciding whether we want to or not is trickier, but opening it should be an hour design process at best. Make it one way with parking like the rest of Scarth with ample patio space for some of the businesses. Trying anything else with the limited access that 12th Avenue has would be tricky to do correctly and would probably require a rethink of the block south as well. At least the corner and the pedestrian interaction there.

Understanding and minimizing the impacts to businesses is the harder part and working to alleviate that is the biggest design issue.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 3:12 PM

As a visitor to your city, I always have enjoyed the more recent ambiance of the ped mall on Scarth. I think it has in the past felt a bit derelict, but with enhancement and maybe some planned programming for the space, it could be fantastic for downtown and tourists.

Maybe a xmas market similar to ones seen in Germany?? Heated outdoor patios for hot chocolate and mulled wine...

Anyway...as a visitor/tourist I hope it remains a Pedestrian Only street.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Good point on opening and closing. The City has been shown to be incapable of doing that efficiently.

I feel like if people could catch an Uber or be picked up mid-block at a pub or restaurant especially in winter, there would be more businesses open a night. I believe there are are 7 or 8 restaurants on the block but only Fat Badger is open in the evening.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
I feel like if people could catch an Uber or be picked up mid-block at a pub or restaurant especially in winter, there would be more businesses open a night. I believe there are are 7 or 8 restaurants on the block but only Fat Badger is open in the evening.
If you can't walk to 11th or 12th, you shouldn't be out drinking to begin with.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
If you can't walk to 11th or 12th, you shouldn't be out drinking to begin with.
If you have a choice to wait inside for your ride or stand at the corner of 12th and Scarth in -50 windchill, people will choose the former and go elsewhere.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:42 PM

I just want Scarth to be fully gutted and the brick replaced with the modern brick from the plaza and a fountain in the middle spot where they replaced the raised level with regular brick. And more tree cells!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's been around way longer than Pat.

I'm not averse to opening it up.

Reopening isn't even a rocket science endeavor at this point. Deciding whether we want to or not is trickier, but opening it should be an hour design process at best. Make it one way with parking like the rest of Scarth with ample patio space for some of the businesses. Trying anything else with the limited access that 12th Avenue has would be tricky to do correctly and would probably require a rethink of the block south as well. At least the corner and the pedestrian interaction there.

Understanding and minimizing the impacts to businesses is the harder part and working to alleviate that is the biggest design issue.
Oh I meant the plaza which cut east-west traffic on 12th Ave. It’s been beaten to death on here but there really should have closed Scarth between 12th and Vic instead (or do what Stormer suggested for between 11th and 12th).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 12:50 AM

The City of Regina neglects downtown for 10+ years.

In that time, downtowns around the world transitioned to less cars on streets, and are now focusing on converting unused office space to living space.

The City of Regina now thinks the answer to our downtown problem is more cars on streets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan