HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:33 PM

Even Vegas is starting to move away from these "theme" interiors in favor of just high end design. The hotels around City Center, the Wynn, etc don't try to recreate cheesy themes inside, and even some hotels are starting to revamp their interiors to get rid of the themed designs (MGM Grand, etc).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:48 PM

So many places to eat in this hotel, and the prices at some of them are just off the charts. How will these eateries survive during periods between conventions when there is going to be much less traffic in the lobby areas? I don't think too many people are going to walk over there just to eat from other areas of downtown. Hopefully the convention calendar will stay full year round.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
So many places to eat in this hotel, and the prices at some of them are just off the charts. How will these eateries survive during periods between conventions when there is going to be much less traffic in the lobby areas? I don't think too many people are going to walk over there just to eat from other areas of downtown. Hopefully the convention calendar will stay full year round.
I eat at Iron Works BBQ (actually pretty good for a convention center-adjacent restaurant!) nearly once a week, and it's always relatively busy at lunchtime on any random weekday -- in my experience, the convention center district gets good traffic as the weird liminal zone between the Rainey Street area and downtown proper. Quality, above anything else, is going to determine the success of those Fairmont restaurants, terrible interior design and all. If they don't suck, the profits they pull in during conventions will offset the slower spells.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tower View Post
I eat at Iron Works BBQ (actually pretty good for a convention center-adjacent restaurant!) nearly once a week, and it's always relatively busy at lunchtime on any random weekday -- in my experience, the convention center district gets good traffic as the weird liminal zone between the Rainey Street area and downtown proper. Quality, above anything else, is going to determine the success of those Fairmont restaurants, terrible interior design and all. If they don't suck, the profits they pull in during conventions will offset the slower spells.
Hotel restaurants are typically a drag on the bottom line. 4-5 star hotels have to have them, but they generally lose money. Rooms and catering bring in the $.

Trio at the Four Seasons is incredible, and typically dead.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Hotel restaurants are typically a drag on the bottom line. 4-5 star hotels have to have them, but they generally lose money. Rooms and catering bring in the $.

Trio at the Four Seasons is incredible, and typically dead.
You're probably right on this -- but I'd still argue that the Four Seasons isn't a perfect comparison to what they're doing here. With that long driveway, Trio is completely isolated from the street and pedestrian traffic. A better comparison might be Forthright, which is close to Trio but next to Cesar Chavez -- does a pretty good business at least as far as I can see.

Plus, Fairmont is doing a pretty different concept than the typical fancy hotel restaurant -- yeah, it's pricey, but they're clearly trying to ape the trendy food hall thing, Fareground-style, and gain the business of people off the street who might not usually seek out a hotel restaurant. Still, none of this matters if it sucks, and...it's not looking so great, honestly.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:37 AM

I went and explored around the first three floors today. I won't bother posting pictures of the interior since you really need to see it in person to get the full effect. I will say that I agree with the twitter posts. Anyhow here are a few pics of the skybridge.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 2:35 AM

Skybridge design is pretty cool, but one would think they could've incorporated some color texture into it to better match the locale instead of bare concrete.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:13 PM

Definitely looks better now that the top is not yellow. But I agree with armybrat. Seems like it needs something to give it a little more character and so that it blends into the urban/natural environment better. Some wood or limestone or ivy or something.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 9:00 PM

Checked out Fairmont last night:
Several things didn't sit well for me. So not a great review.. I'm sure not all will agree... and that's cool.

Entrance and Drive: Too closed off from the Creek. Did not take advantage to me.

Interiors:
Lobby. At check in desk ... interesting...spacious. Unique color and style.
Not my aesthetic , but well done.
However, at the Bar and beyond... it gets way off tract for me and feels cheap and "resort"

Service. Mixed. Some friendly ... some really not so.

Pricing... as expected.

"food court"/village restaurant concept : Really? Gimmicky.

Street level at Red River and Caesar Chavez .... really dark and cold.

Sky Bridge ! 10! Clean , modern .. really cool and sculptural at night especially.
Looks like a diff architect than hotel... to which I am grateful.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 9:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Me and a friend also checked the Fairmont out last night.

I agree with Michael about the entrance, I was actually shocked at how non descript it was, at first I thought it was a side entrance. Interaction to the creek is extremely poor. Overall it doesn't feel inviting from the outside.

The upstairs bar and pool deck is interesting though it feels incomplete. Open space is great but in this case I think it could be utilized better in respect to the elevator lobby. Sound proofing around the parameter is really good. Couldn't hear the surrounding city noises and only a hint of a siren from an emergency vehicle passing by.

I like the tree personally, it's whimsical and the color combination works for it.

All in all, it's something different to explore. I probably won't be a regular visitor like I am to the Van Zandt's restaunt and deck.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Me and a friend also checked the Fairmont out last night.

I agree with Michael about the entrance, I was actually shocked at how non descript it was, at first I thought it was a side entrance. Interaction to the creek is extremely poor. Overall it doesn't feel inviting from the outside.

The upstairs bar and pool deck is interesting though it feels incomplete. Open space is great but in this case I think it could be utilized better in respect to the elevator lobby. Sound proofing around the parameter is really good. Couldn't hear the surrounding city noises and only a hint of a siren from an emergency vehicle passing by.

I like the tree personally, it's whimsical and the color combination works for it.

All in all, it's something different to explore. I probably won't be a regular visitor like I am to the Van Zandt's restaunt and deck.
ah... I gotta check out the pool deck.

BUT YES>>>
VAN ZANDT wins hands down in my book!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tower View Post
Hope you are correct that the Fairmont eateries will generate off peak traffic. They are going to need it. With regards to Iron Works BBQ, did you know that they have been in that location since 1978 serving BBQ from that spot long before the convention center was built? In the old days it was easy to park around there, and they drew customers from all over town. I guess it is mostly CC visitor business these days.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:50 PM

I think the skybridge looks great, it will look better of course when the area fills up with vegetation.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
ah... I gotta check out the pool deck.

BUT YES>>>
VAN ZANDT wins hands down in my book!
I didn't check out the pool deck either, but I must say, the hotel isn't as bad or Vegas-like as the photos (or people) make it seem. Yea, the food hall is pretty cheesy looking, but it is in it's own little cubby away from the primary lobby and bar area. The lobby/bar area isn't bad at all IMHO. It's not to everyone's taste, but it's nice that it is open and airy.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:41 PM

After looking through pictures on yelp and trip advisor reviews, I actually don’t mind the look of the lobby at all. While it may be a bit off it still ends up looking ok. The rest of the hotel looks a lot better! I have found some floor plans for the Fairmont for those who are interested.
http://www.fairmont.com/austin/pdf/a...ans-july-2016/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 10:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

You know, I fail to see the point in the lighting that they installed if they aren't going to utilize it. Not once have they turned on any sort of moving effect or the spire lighting since they opened. I would have thought SXSW would have been a good time to show that off but all they did was change the color from blue to Green St. Patricks day. When the press release came out boasting about some 15 million colors and a multitude of effects, I figured they would actually use it. Obviously they won't use it all the time but if SXSW wasn't one of those times then when?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 10:50 PM

Question is that a chain link fence on the skybridge?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 11:00 PM

Nah, it looks more like chicken wire.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Nah, it looks more like chicken wire.

I still don't understand why all sky bridges in Austin have to be open air, isn't the whole purpose of them to get people out of the elements? Convention goers trying to get from the Fairmont to the CC in the middle of summer are going to be having a sweat fest!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:44 AM

So is that the finished product? I thought it would have a metal sheet with a circular hole pattern

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin