HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 5:00 AM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 7:50 PM
Always running Late

obviously all developement can't happen in a city's core, nor will everyone work in the core, but if you're going to invest in mass transit options it's important to properly zone commercial areas in core areas that are properly serviced by the mass transit options so that you can get a return on investment for it. you can get to any small suburb by means of public transport, but if it means a train transfer and two bus transfers, people won't use it. Now if the MAJORITY of people are working somewhere on these main transit lines, then it will be used. I don't think anyone says everything should be in ONE city center area. That's absurd. But directing development appropriately through zoning is how the free market is channeled so that you don't have a tax payer burden of a mess on your hands. It can happen in phases even.. building up the city core and then extending highrise/dense developement down along the main sandy line. That makes sense, rather than allowing highrises to just be thrown up in cottonwood heights where cars will be the way to get there. One highrise spawns many other nearby developements, sometimes even other highrises.. You don't want that to be happening in THAT area, otherwise you'll constantly be playing catch up and in the end all tax payers in the area foot the bill.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 10:43 PM

....at least we've moved on to arguing about something other than religion.

We took our kids to the Disney concert at the Deer Valley Music Festival last night and spent the night in Park City. A few pictures, including the new St. Regis Hotel:

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
....at least we've moved on to arguing about something other than religion.
LOL. I will look at the continuing city vs. suburbs debate with a new appreciation then!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonkey View Post
LOL. I will look at the continuing city vs. suburbs debate with a new appreciation then!
Good idea. Though, with UB back from suspension (again...for what,the 26th time?) it'll probably be short lived.

Thanks for the pics Ark.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:25 AM

Yes, thanks for the pics Ark. I never get tired of the Park City area.
I like how they've been spiffing up the backside of Old Main these past
few years. I was up there last week and noticed they're fixing up the
old boarding house at the top of Main also.

by Arkhitektor

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:26 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Looks like the U of U just broke ground on a 208,000 square foot hospital at day break right by one of the future trax stations. I just saw this on the news, but the link isn't up yet on their website. The rendering they showed looks like a 3-story building that they said should open by Oct. 2011.

An artists rendering of the new 208,000 SF medical center in Daybreak
www.daybreakutah.com
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jul 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:21 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

Why do I feel like that THIS project is NEVER going to happen? We've been talking about this project now for what?....three years? and I drive by that site and still nothing. No updates, nothing. I'm really am starting to have my doubts now with not only this project, but Sandy city as a whole.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I'm really am starting to have my doubts now with not only this project, but Sandy city as a whole.
You are just now starting to have doubts about Sandy? Sandy is the antithesis of planning. No real concept of the topic demonstrated by elected officials. They need to start listening a bit better to their planning staff.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Looks like the U of U just broke ground on a 208,000 square foot hospital at day break right by one of the future trax stations. I just saw this on the news, but the link isn't up yet on their website. The rendering they showed looks like a 3-story building that they said should open by Oct. 2011.

www.daybreakutah.com
I didn't see a rendering in the article, but if it turns out like the rendering posted here, it will be great. I wish every city embraced this type of urban planning and development

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 1:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I didn't see a rendering in the article, but if it turns out like the rendering posted here, it will be great. I wish every city embraced this type of urban planning and development
What "type of urban planning" are you referring to? Im just not sure what you mean by this statement.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:25 AM

Building up to the street fronts. Pedestrian friendly and interactive. Mixed-use. Parking either underground or hidden. Efficient. Nearby mass-transit.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
What "type of urban planning" are you referring to? Im just not sure what you mean by this statement.
I can't speak to what Tony meant, but there is a huge difference between the way that the building in the rendering above and something like this interact with the world around them:

And while Daybreak is making some pretty big strides in terms of suburban development trends, it isn't the city that is pushing them in that direction. Kennecott Land is driving the change itself.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Building up to the street fronts. Pedestrian friendly and interactive. Mixed-use. Parking either underground or hidden. Efficient. Nearby mass-transit.
It's also heartening to note Tony that the positive differences which have trended at Daybreak, have also kept it as a positive growth community. Even in these crazy economic times, Daybreak is doing comparitively well residentially. It's one of the few bright spots for sales in the Western States. I think we're fortunate to have such a relatively deep pocketed developer(Rio Tinto) in the Metro. It's not often that you have that amount of land held by one company, that is at the same time committed to those types of positive trends in planning.

U. breaks ground for South Jordan health center - Daybreak facility set to open in 2011 with 300 employees

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...th-center.html

SOUTH JORDAN — University of Utah Health Care is bringing a new facility to the outskirts of the Daybreak planned community at the foot of the Oquirrh Mountains...

...The health center is the first phase of a larger project on 60 acres donated by Rio Tinto's Kennecott Land at 5200 West Daybreak Parkway (11400 South). Phase two will be an inpatient community hospital five to seven years down the road...

Last edited by delts145; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 4:51 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
You are just now starting to have doubts about Sandy? Sandy is the antithesis of planning. No real concept of the topic demonstrated by elected officials. They need to start listening a bit better to their planning staff.

I've tried to give them the benefit of a doubt when it comes with Sandy city trying to set up a Pedestrian friendly, mix-use city core with mass transit. But will all the talk there really hasn't been much done. Hell Daybreak is starting to have a better core set up then Sandy. I drive down 10000 South by City hall and not only do I still see undeveloped land but now I'm starting to see "for lease' signs popping up on whatever buildings they do have on that street. Seems like business are moving out of that area for some reason. Again I wanted to believe the city could improve that area, but now like I said I am starting to have doubts.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's deffinitely a huge improvement, but it still is not up to the sidewalk, except for the portion of the building on the left... But even that portion is not right up to the sidewalk, there is a parkstrip (which should be between the sidewalk and the street) separating the building with the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 8:35 PM
Lurker

I think what he means is there isn't a huge parking lot between the street and the building. And I think that is a good distance from the street, buildings should be set back a tiny bit.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 10:24 PM
BANNED

The distance between the building and the street is just fine, the problem is: the sidewalk should run right next to the building, and the area, where the sidewalk is, should instead be a buffer zone with trees and shrubs separating the sidewalk from the street. Also, where are the cross-walks and the ADA ramps? How will someone in a wheelchair get over that curb? Shade should be provided on all sides of the sidewalk. The building privides shade on one side, and the trees provide shade on the other side.

www.daybreakutah.com

Last edited by urbanboy; Jul 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 12:20 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about that as its a medical building. If it were retail then that would be a bit more annoying to see. And only a bit. Still though, big improvement on what is typically seen (even in Salt Lake).

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 2:29 AM

Quote:

Why do I feel like that THIS project is NEVER going to happen? We've been talking about this project now for what?....three years? and I drive by that site and still nothing. No updates, nothing. I'm really am starting to have my doubts now with not only this project, but Sandy city as a whole.
Chop those heights in half again and this might happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West