HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Can anybody ease my fear that eventually all of the warm orange sodium street lights in the city will be replaced by white LEDs or something? I'm extremely in favor of being environmentally conscious, and I even like clean white lighting for certain uses (landscaping in particular) but the orange hue of the city lights adds so much character that I think losing it would be a tragedy.

Maybe once they move to something else they can at least tint them orange somehow. Like a white bulb in an orange lantern. I hate the idea of Chicago's misty orange glow at night eventually turning into a white bloom.
You are not alone, my friend. I will deeply miss the orange Chicaglow cast over the city at night; but aside from aesthetics, I hate the white lighting because its not bright enough and the light cones are too defined. I for one preferred the "light trespass" of the sodium vapor lights because brighter streets are safer streets. Streets, especially residential ones are noticeably darker after white light installation. This not only reduces a perception of safety, but it also makes the streetscape of facades harder to see, removing one of the magic things about traversing the city at night: still seeing everything, but in a eerie orange hue.

The new LSD stretch through southworks has LED lighting; which is currently all the rage and is being installed allover the country. I suspect CDOT will eventually go this route and hopefully will select a color that is a bit warmer than typical cool white.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 1:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post

Small renderings here:
^ Actually, before Nowhereman got canned, he discussed this project about 2 years ago. So no, it technically didn't fly under the radar (we rarely miss anything major on this forum, although it's always a pleasant surprise when we do )

To me, I'm thrilled to see this go up because it replaces a vacant lot. It also adds density & enclosure to an otherwise picture perfect urban intersection if it weren't vandalized by that MB financial parking lot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
You are not alone, my friend. I will deeply miss the orange Chicaglow cast over the city at night; but aside from aesthetics, I hate the white lighting because its not bright enough and the light cones are too defined. I for one preferred the "light trespass" of the sodium vapor lights because brighter streets are safer streets. Streets, especially residential ones are noticeably darker after white light installation. This not only reduces a perception of safety, but it also makes the streetscape of facades harder to see, removing one of the magic things about traversing the city at night: still seeing everything, but in a eerie orange hue.

The new LSD stretch through southworks has LED lighting; which is currently all the rage and is being installed allover the country. I suspect CDOT will eventually go this route and hopefully will select a color that is a bit warmer than typical cool white.
I am looking forward to getting rid of those new fangled orange lights - the song says ---

Quote:
There's a road I'd like to tell you about, lives in my home town

Lake Shore Drive the road is called and it'll take you up or down

From rags on up to riches fifteen minutes you can fly

Pretty blue lights along the way, help you right on by

And the blue lights shining with a heavenly grace, help you right on by
And Lower Wacker was much more striking in eerie green.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

To me, I'm thrilled to see this go up because it replaces a vacant lot. It also adds density & enclosure to an otherwise picture perfect urban intersection if it weren't vandalized by that MB financial parking lot.
I drove by this thing the other day and was wondering WTF is going on. That MB Bank is a true disaster and looks very new. At first I thought the MB Bank had something to do with the project going up in the background, but obviously that isn't the case. It is really too bad that they destroyed this intersection with that garbage branch, but this is much better than the enormous lot that used to be there. Wasn't there a cool MCM building on this corner back when Animal Kingdom was still around?

This stretch of far north Milwaukee Ave is really starting to turn around. If you drive a little further up the street those six 6 flats they announced a while ago are all almost completely "topped out" and a couple of them look like they will be ready for delivery by spring. These two projects have completely changed the complexion of that stretch of road from an area that is 80% post-industrial wasteland to an area that has a good mix of older buildings, new construction, and a few nice developable sites for futures projects.

I am also impressed by what they are doing by that little bar next to that Metra stop north of Schurz High School. The city is apparently completely rebuilding Milwaukee Ave. and they have depressed the entire street by an additional 18 inches or so under that metra viaduct. This must include reworking all the utilities and sewers to lower them as well. as they have the whole stretch there shut down to one lane. I just feel bad for the bar owner, but that stretch of Milwaukee was (and still is all the from there to downtown) in a really sorry state. I was encountering potholes that were more of a small trench than a hole along there where people literally had to stop and wait for oncoming traffic to clear up so they could drive around the 5' wide pottrench in the other lane. The sooner they finish the MKE AVE reconstruction project, the better.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 3:45 PM

^ Good to hear about those 6 flats on Milwaukee almost "topped out" up the street. Speaking of Milwaukee ave. Okay well this is close to it, not RIGHT on it, but I saw a building permit issued for a new 12 unit building at 951 W Huron, which is right near Milwaukee Ave and this might be partially a vacant lot right now. Not too far from the Chicago blue line stop. Architect is Jay Keller of Space.

Also, does anyone know what building is at 3112 S Dearborn on the campus of IIT? $3 million renovation project that sounds as if it was some building that hasn't been used for a few decades and now they're deciding to do so. I can't really find any info on what building is there.

Quote:
THE PROJECT FOCUS WILL BE THE RENOVATION OF THE AREA BELOW THE 1955 MEZZANINE INCLUDING RECEPTION, NEW TOILETS, A GREEN ROOM AND STORAGE; AND ABOVE THE MEZZANINE HALF WILL BE A FINISHED OPEN CONCRETE DECK TO RECEIVE LATER WENGER PRACTICE ROOMS, THE REMAINDER INCLUDES AN ENSEMBLE ROOM, PIANO TRAINING STUDIO AND OFFICES; WITH ADDED BIRCH PLYWOOD TREATMENT OF THE EXISTING RAILINGS. THE 1960 ANNEX WILL BE RENOVATED AS A 3,456 SQUARE FOOT LOBBY AND REHEARSAL SPACE. ALL MASONRY WALLS REMOVED WILL SALVAGE BRICK FOR RE-USE IN HISTORIC MASONRY PATCHING AND REPAIRS.
EDIT: Found it. Apparently it's a Mies Van Der Rohe building that was part of the Association of American Railroads (AAR) complex based on the 1960 annex. Currently used by the CTA for training - obviously now becoming part of the Dept of Music.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86125374@N00/3860024186/

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 4:38 PM

^^^ Nice, it's always nice to see a Modern classic get a renovation when we are constantly bombarded by news of the demolition of structures like Prentice and now Cuneo.

At least this city has a reverence for Mies and can barely stomach the destruction of even his miesliest (get it, measliest, lol) commissions such as that bunker entrance or whatever it was that they destroyed to make way for the Metra station.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I am looking forward to getting rid of those new fangled orange lights
agreed. ive never quite understood the love for the orange (which I dont think is universal by any stretch). i see it as a vast urban blight which should be corrected. not to mention the incredible waste of resources from losing so much energy upwards. it makes for interesting photographs but i dont think its anything to necessarily be proud of.

i also think the supposed reduction in crime is tenuous at best if not completely imagined, considering just how violent this city is (and the lack of any compelling statistics whatsoever linking the two). even if it increases the "perception" of safety, that can in reality make the actual situation more dangerous. why? because the danger is still present but people may be more liable to put their guard down thus making themselves even easier targets.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:18 PM
you know where I'll be

IIT Projects

^^^ Speaking of IIT, has anyone heard anything recently about the new 100,000 sq ft (I want to say some sort of innovation center or incubator or something similar, but can't remember exactly what it is) building that is planned? (I think the parcel is directly fronting the Dan Ryan if I remember correctly)....last I had heard - which is a while ago now - is that they still had a lot of fundraising left to do...

Also, years ago when I had toured Helmut Jahns' IIT dorm complex, I remember being told that there was another new dorm complex planned, at least at that time set to be designed I think by Dirk Lohan. I wonder if anybody close to IIT knows if this is still planned at some point, or was shelved?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:56 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The new Lakeside Bank at NWC 14th & Michigan will be a two-story building all along the Michigan frontage, with a big drive-thru facility west all the way to the alley, auto entry and exit from 14th. Must be finished by end of the year, as MPEA is taking the Cermak & Indiana location Dec. 31st.

This pisses me off. Two story bank with drive thru at Michigan and 14th? MPEA could easily have found a suitable parcel that was at least not quite as appropriate for a mid/high-rise........thanks for taking a junky, underutilized use of real estate and basically moving it 3/4 of a mile closer to the Loop....just what that part of the South Loop needed!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I drove by this thing the other day and was wondering WTF is going on. That MB Bank is a true disaster and looks very new. At first I thought the MB Bank had something to do with the project going up in the background, but obviously that isn't the case. It is really too bad that they destroyed this intersection with that garbage branch, but this is much better than the enormous lot that used to be there. Wasn't there a cool MCM building on this corner back when Animal Kingdom was still around?
The old building was also an MB Bank, just a larger and pretty undistinguished MCM building. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mss2400...n/photostream/

At least this way there's a lot less wasted parking lot space and it's closer to the corner.

Last edited by BWChicago; Jan 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:33 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
This pisses me off. Two story bank with drive thru at Michigan and 14th? MPEA could easily have found a suitable parcel that was at least not quite as appropriate for a mid/high-rise........thanks for taking a junky, underutilized use of real estate and basically moving it 3/4 of a mile closer to the Loop....just what that part of the South Loop needed!
^ I don't know, based on Mr. D's description it probably shouldn't be too bad if the Michigan Ave frontage will be 2 levels and the drive thru will be further back.

Of course I'd rather see something bigger and better, but at least as a place holder it's not the worst thing in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:33 PM

I spotted the Bulls practice facility near the UC today. Couldn't get a shot, but it looks about 2 stories tall now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I spotted the Bulls practice facility near the UC today. Couldn't get a shot, but it looks about 2 stories tall now.
Oh ya, I noticed that last week after the Hawks game and meant to ask about it but forgot. Can someone post the rendering of the new facility?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:39 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:41 PM

Edit: Wrong thread

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 6:16 PM

really love that design. i do hope they put some thought into that wood (?) along the base though. could see that looking raggad after a couple winters like this one.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 6:25 PM

Is it wood, or is it fiber cement panels or tile?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Ah yes. I do remember seeing this years ago. Great, now if we can just keep going... In a perfect world, let's develop every one of those god-awful parking lots. I vote bar, bar, bar, and then a few more bars. That stretch of Madison could be really lively if they just built it.

And when are we gonna see a god damn L stop at Madison?!

Edit... But seriously. Just imagine if everything between Ashland and Damen, along Madison and Warren was developed into bars, restaurants, sports stores, maybe some condos, and then parking garages... It would effectively become N Clark street overnight. And the parking spots would remain. Win-win. No?

Shit, while we're at it, everything between Paulina and the stadium too.

Last edited by Tom Servo; Jan 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 7:15 PM

^I 100% agree with you. If there were a reason for people to be in the neighborhood before an event, it would be a better option than many of the other bars east on Madison. I'm not sure why some developer hasn't jumped all over the vacant lots surrounding the area. I assume the stadium or someone has control over those to make money on parking, but wouldn't a revenue generating, people activated, area be a bigger money maker?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 7:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
^I 100% agree with you. If there were a reason for people to be in the neighborhood before an event, it would be a better option than many of the other bars east on Madison. I'm not sure why some developer hasn't jumped all over the vacant lots surrounding the area. I assume the stadium or someone has control over those to make money on parking, but wouldn't a revenue generating, people activated, area be a bigger money maker?
Considering the Blackhawks have sold out every game since 2008, the Bulls do well to attract people as well, and all the other concerts and events throughout the year, it's a wonder to me why those lots still exist. There is just SO much potential over there. Imagine if we did develop Madison between Ashland and Damen. That would just open the door for developments along Wood, the other big lot between Adams and Monroe, kicking the old people out of the Patrick Sullivan Apartments, etc... seriously, between the Medical Center and all the new development along Madison just down the street, it's a wonder to me why this is still such a huge waste of potential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development