HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
The 1WTC West Plaza redesign is a definite improvement. Now it separates the sidewalk and the tower plaza so as to maintain the movement of the streetwalkers while not encouraging 1,000 Europeans to sit on the stairs. 1WTC is not a museum and does not need to encourage loitering.
Look at how wrong you are. That is the tourist entrance anyway. The employee entrances are on the north and south sides.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:31 PM
Bionic Boogie

^^^

you might have a point there...the new entrance might be more confined and less inviting......

anyways....1 wtc is getting so close to topping out now!! and 4 wtc keeps moving on

DSC_0124 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:40 PM
JoeCooper

What's really eating at me is what the observatory is going to have in store! I wonder what it will include. I know already since it will be so tall it will give an even greater affect as to the feeling how height up you are. Who knows, maybe you attach yourself to a tightrope and sway yourself around from a tract along the ceiling and feel like your flying high above the city like Superman, IDK, just a random thought...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlecraft View Post
I like the logo.

Two notes:

1) To be true to the logo, the radome ring will have to be built and no skinny antennae.

2) There used to be two and now there is ONE.
No, there is one, there will be two...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:35 PM

I probably just set the forum's record in taking the most pictures of the World Trade Center in 1 day. In case if we never did I guess I am the first. All of these were taken by me today. I walked across DUMBO and the Brooklyn Bridge to the World Trade Center and the World Financial Center. I completed my journey at Battery Park. My legs are killing me.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:40 PM

What happened to the netting in the upper floors?Maybe preparation for the incoming installation of the facade.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:10 PM
BANNED

Roadcruiser1 just read my mind, haha!
I was just about to ask if anyone in here had any recent shots from the Brooklyn Bridge to show us how much dominance it had on the skyline from that angle.

Hey, at least you got a good workout!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringSkylines View Post
Roadcruiser1 just read my mind, haha!
I was just about to ask if anyone in here had any recent shots from the Brooklyn Bridge to show us how much dominance it had on the skyline from that angle.

Hey, at least you got a good workout!
I at first didn't want to cross the bridge since it was pretty long. I just wanted to walk the bridge a bit down to get farther into DUMBO to go to Brooklyn Bridge Park (my favorite place in the entire city) and snap pictures there. I decided not to however because it was a nice day out and in the end it was worth it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
What happened to the netting in the upper floors?Maybe preparation for the incoming installation of the facade.
No, the blue netting was pulled up to surround the recent steel construction. New black netting will fill in shortly. Facade work will continue being placed in rows on top of the existing facade as soon as internal concrete core, floor decking, stair wells and fireproofing move up and out of the way.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcapn View Post
No, the blue netting was pulled up to surround the recent steel construction. New black netting will fill in shortly. Facade work will continue being placed in rows on top of the existing facade as soon as internal concrete core, floor decking, stair wells and fireproofing move up and out of the way.
I think he means the black netting above the glass, "facade" in this case referring to the glass.

This is a bit off-subject, but what are the plans for the sphere? Will it be moved back to the WTC (the memorial, I'd think) or remain where it is?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dense_Electric View Post
I think he means the black netting above the glass, "facade" in this case referring to the glass.

This is a bit off-subject, but what are the plans for the sphere? Will it be moved back to the WTC (the memorial, I'd think) or remain where it is?
1) There is no black netting there. That is open space. The poster above was correct.

2) The Sphere will be moved to Liberty Park in 2014. It will be a block away from the Memorial.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:17 PM
Bionic Boogie

another fiery sunset!!

DSC_0129 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:22 PM

That plaza redesign is ridiculously horrible.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:00 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
another fiery sunset!!

DSC_0129 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
I believe that when all is said and done, the whole WTC is going to be gleaming at sunsets and sunrises. It will be a sight to behold.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I believe that when all is said and done, the whole WTC is going to be gleaming at sunsets and sunrises. It will be a sight to behold.
Definitely. And, God forbid, if something happens to the new one, in 30 years they'll be complaining about the same 'problems' in the 'new wtc' of that time. Again, god forbid.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:41 AM

The glass already gleams. Look at the pictures I took from early morning. The glare was so bright that if I kept looking at it I would have been blind. It actually hurt my eyes so I took a picture and moved away. I am glad in how it turned out though even though I wasn't willing to stay too long.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:49 AM

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:58 AM
BANNED

RoadCruiser, your picture of the building from the little harbor in front of the winter garden, you didn't have a tripod did you?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
The 1WTC West Plaza redesign is a definite improvement. Now it separates the sidewalk and the tower plaza so as to maintain the movement of the streetwalkers while not encouraging 1,000 Europeans to sit on the stairs. 1WTC is not a museum and does not need to encourage loitering.
It's not a "museum", but the purpose of that design was to encourage people to "hang around", creating life outside and around the building. They didn't want to create a sterile plaza like you find around many buildings, and certainly didn't want it as dead as it was around the original buildings. Furthermore, it's a tourist attraction, as that side and the entrance will be the only one specifically for the observation deck.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...ntent=Business

8+ hands on deck at WTC observatory

By LOIS WEISS
April 5, 2012

Quote:

Companies are lining up for a chance to run the observation deck at the top of 1 World Trade Center. The Post has learned that at least eight of 10 groups are expected to respond to a request for proposal by May 7, with an operator likely to be chosen over the summer. The winner will take over the 100th, 101st and 102nd floors of the building and be able to run restaurants as part of their operations.

The Durst Organization, which has partnered with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to operate and manage the 104-story tower, will be reviewing the responses. Durst declined to comment.

The 100th floor observatory is expected to become a cash cow for the building as millions of visitors are already making pilgrimages to the Sept. 11 memorial pools and eventually a museum. Prior to 2001, the previous WTC observatory had 2 million visitors. Public restaurants will eventually open on the 101st and 102nd floors.

beanhead4529

wwward0

LARGE

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy View Post
it's not a "museum", but the purpose of that design was to encourage people to "hang around", creating life outside and around the building. They didn't want to create a sterile plaza like you find around many buildings, and certainly didn't want it as dead as it was around the original buildings. Furthermore, it's a tourist attraction, as that side and the entrance will be the only one specifically for the observation deck.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...ntent=business

8+ hands on deck at wtc observatory

by lois weiss
april 5, 2012

restaurants!! Yeah!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive